Start by marking “The Patient” as Want to Read:
The Patient

The Patient

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,627 ratings  ·  97 reviews
Neurosurgeon Jessie Copeland works at the very frontier of neurosurgery, developing technology that could revolutionize the treatment of brain tumors. But her work brings her to the attention of an infinitely dangerous man.

Claude Malloche is brilliant, remorseless—a terrorist without regard for human life. He is also ill with a brain tumor considered to be inoperable. Noth...more
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published July 31st 2001 by Random House Publishing Group (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Patient, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Patient

PSmith
Nov 19, 2011 PSmith rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: medical thriller fans
I am a sucker for medical thrillers, and this satisfied my expectations in that it had elements I liked - a busy hospital, sick patients and doctors always in a game of chess with King Death. Very busy, committed group of doctors, their leisure free lives...
The theme revolves around a busy neurosurgery department which is also doing research in using robotic neurosurgery and is so advanced that they have started trying their robot, Artie on patients. As a side-track we have a killer who is chase...more
Carlos JP Navia
To be honest, although this is an exciting read, I don't think it's superb literature; however, I so thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of this particular story--the action/mystery, the high emotion, the occasional twist, and a little neuroscience (which I especially enjoyed)--that it has become one of my favorite books. It was the first Michael Palmer book I've read, and in my eyes no other book I've read by this author since has equalled it.
Carlee
If you like medical thrillers, suspense, and unexpected surprises then The Patient is the book for you. This was the first book I read by Michael Palmer, MD and it made me want to continue to read all of his books, especially since they revolve around medicine. I don't know why but this particular genre interests me.

His writing is so good that while reading, I wanted to jump into the book and strangle the main antagonists. My hatred for them was hot and pure.

As for the surprises, they were gre...more
Grace
Terrorists, brain tumours, crazy people, determined doctors, spunky heroine... what else could I ask for? It was short!

Admittedly, I had a hard time putting this one down. So, I didn't. I'm pretty sure that if I were to have read the full book, I would have had the same reaction to it as well. As it stands, the Reader's Digest version made it so I could finish the book in two days.

Why not five stars? Well, I really liked it. I didn't like it enough to say it was my favourite book EVER. Honestl...more
Jill Jackson
I don't usually like thrillers or suspense novels, but this book held my attention because it takes place in a hospital. I happen to work in a hospital, so perhaps that gave the story a bit of an edge with me. The author knows his stuff, and the operating room scenes are fascinating.
Carol
Fanastic story about a ruthless serial killer who ends up with a brain tumor that he moves heaven and earth to have removed. He kills many people and would have killed many more if not for the brave doctor and a CIA agent who work together to bring him to justice.
I listened to the book on CD and there is an author interview at the end that is really good. The author is a practicing doctor and everything he writes about in the book is now being done except the robotic cutting tool. But he says th...more
Falina
This was a standard suspense/thriller with a hint of romance. It was pretty entertaining, but uninspiring. The neurosurgery stuff was interesting and seemed well-researched. The characters were kinda flat and stereotypical -- brainy yet winsome and feminine neurosurgeon, hardass spy with a personal interest in his mission.
Judy
I couldn't put it down -- fast-paced, fascinating story, well written -- and I learned a bit about brain surgery for cancer (not enough to do it myself, tho ). If you like murder mysteries, this one will appeal.
Karleene Morrow
Really liked this one by Michael Palmer. Most of his books that I've read have been chilling page turners, but I think this one was the best. Cleverly designed, not predictable, a great read.
Kmousavit
این کتاب با نام بیمار توسط محمد علی مهمان نواز ترجمه شده است
Gail
This medical thriller was an easy read. A terrorist with a brain tumor needs surgery; the surgeon performing the surgery must be successful or suffer the consequences.
Kristin
This was worlds better than the last Michael Palmer book I read. I actually stayed up half the night trying to finish it - it was pretty exciting and very interesting.
BJ
Michael Palmer is an MD who is considered one of the top writers of the medical thriller genre. "The Patient" has all the ingredients to be a great book, but somehow never makes it for me. It is the story of a neurosurgeon at a large Massachusetts hospital who is involved in working with a new robotic surgical technique for taking out tumors. She and her whole surgical team, as well as the whole neurosurgical wing of the hospital with its patients are taken hostage by an international killer, hi...more
Jerry
Another fine, suspenseful Palmer / innovative surgical plot...

We have enjoyed all of Palmer's previous medical thrillers, and quickly got hooked on this recent one featuring micro-robotic neurosurgery as a not too impossible current/future development in medicine. After a noted nuerosurgeon gets bumped off in the prologue, we are introduced to Boston doctors Jessie Copeland and her boss, Carl Gilbride, who are perfecting a tiny robot that has been engineered to perform brain surgery on malignan...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Summary: Someone is killing off the world's most gifted neurosurgeons, and Alex Bishop, a renegade CIA agent, thinks he knows who it is. Bishop is out to settle his score with Claude Malloche, an international assassin responsible for the death of Bishop's brother. When he learns that Malloche is afflicted with an inoperable brain tumor, Bishop understands why the murdered neurosurgeons died, and where Malloche will strike next.

Meanwhile, Jessie Copeland, an MIT-trained mechanical engineer and n...more
Johnsergeant
Downloaded from Audible.com
Narrator: Lisa Harrow
Publisher: Bantam Doubleday Dell Audio, 2001
Length: 5 hours 10 min.(abridged)

Publisher's Summary
Dr. Jessie Copeland is a respected neurosurgeon who spends her days waging life-and-death battles in the OR and her spare time holed up in a lab, spearheading the development of a robot that could revolutionize brain surgery.

ARTIE - Assisted Robotic Tissue Incision and Extraction - is a fusion of biomechanics and radiology that will be able to excise tum...more
Krystl Louwagie
The Patient-Michael Palmer (Audio book)

This was a medical mystery type. About this tiny computer machine that can go in a do delicate small surgeries that surgeons said where in-operable until the invention of this thing. Then there's a rich terrorist who has a brain tumor that must be operated on by this thing, so he kills some Dr.'s that won't do it and takes a hospital hostage to get it done. That hospital has a female Dr. that that story focuses on. There's a little un-important romance thro...more
Diane
this is my first time reading this autghor and i will read him again. i love the action and the characters. a terrorist takes and ER hostage in order to receive a life saving operation on a brain tumor. jessie copeland in the surgeon and is being helped by an undercover CIA agent, alex bishop, to help spoil the terriost plans. very smart writing. would make a good movie.
Marsha

Michael Palmer is a doctor who also writes books, mostly mysteries involving the medical world. I listened to The Patient unabridged and highly enjoyable, with just the right amount of suspense and the right number of twists of plot to make it an entertaining listen.
Cathy Jarvis
This is the 5th book I have read by Michael Palmer. So far I would recommend all 5 books. Excellent story line - very written. I will look for more Michael Palmer books.
Joan
This was a free ebook from the library, and a popular author so I wanted to give it a try. A quick read, but often predictable. The main characters, who are selflessly heroic and brilliant against master minded assassins, got to be tedious, and I found myself just wishing for the end of the story. I enjoy the medical aspect Palmer's writing. This story is written around the setting of cutting age technology, rather than making the technology a pivotal part of the thriller. I like Palmer's writin...more
Jackie Hayter
I love a medical thriller and i love Michael Palmer. It had a bit of a commercial blockbuster feel to it - i could just imagine Vain Diesel and Jennifer Lawrence saving the day in the dramatic movie.
Joyce McKune
A foreign "killer for hire" has a brain tumor and only trusts Jess and her barely tested robot to remove it, but if she fails, she's probably dead!
Mary Beth
Wow another good read. A medical thriller with action and suspense to the max!!
Lynn Pembroke
Never disappointed by Michael Palmer. Another great read.
Tiffany
Sep 11, 2008 Tiffany rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tiffany by: My local library
I absolutely love medical thrillers, and this book really floated my boat! Neurosurgery with "ARTIE" - Assisted Robotic Tissue Incision and Extraction - robots that will be able to excise tumors that would normally be considered inoperable. And to top it all off, a really, really bad guy named Claude Malloche who has an inoperable brain tumor, and will kill anyone who gets in the way of his getting his robot assisted surgery. Its a wild, nightmare of a ride and an unbelievable terror of a page-t...more
Aloha
(review to follow --- Doc ALOHA REVIEWS
Abby Johnson
Young brain surgeon Jessie Copeland has worked for years on a robot that will enable previously inoperable tumors to be removed. When her boss uses the robot to save a young Olympic gymnast, word spreads fast and they are quickly swamped with cases. Unfortunately, one of these cases happens to be a crime boss who is responsible for the murder of several people. And he will stop at nothing to get the surgery he needs.

This medical thriller was fine. It kept my attention.
Angie
My dad is so funny. He can't bring himself to move on to CDs or downloadable audiobooks. Anyway. When he brings me one and says "you should listen to this, it's a good story" of course I say yes.

So now I'm done. It was an abridgement. I think that might be why every once in a while I would be like wait. Did I just doze off? That transition didn't really make sense.

That said, It was a pretty good medical thriller. Kind of like Robin Cook.
Kay-em
Brilliant! Couldn't put it down from start to the finnish.
  • Pandemic
  • Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #4)
  • Isolation Ward
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

He...more
More about Michael Palmer...
Silent Treatment Natural Causes The Last Surgeon Fatal The First Patient