Start by marking “The Patient” as Want to Read:
The Patient

The Patient

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  2,249 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
Neurosurgeon Jessie Copeland works at the very frontier of neurosurgery, developing technology that could revolutionize the treatment of brain tumors. But her work brings her to the attention of an infinitely dangerous man.

Claude Malloche is brilliant, remorseless—a terrorist without regard for human life. He is also ill with a brain tumor considered to be inoperable. Noth
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published July 31st 2001 by Random House Publishing Group (first published April 4th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Patient, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Patient

Judy Mann
Here's what I think. I think Michael Palmer was a good writer.That said I think every single Muslim on the face of this earth should be demanding a Royalty fee for every single American novelist who has portrayed Bad guys as Terrorist- Muslims. I also think that every single Muslim should demand a huge royalty fee for every American Novelist who has USED 9/11 as the centre of their plot.WHAT the Hell??
In this book the bad guy who is a heartless murderer- who kills for money- starts off with a ve
IncRead
Nov 16, 2011 IncRead rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: medical thriller fans
I am a sucker for medical thrillers, and this satisfied my expectations in that it had elements I liked - a busy hospital, sick patients and doctors always in a game of chess with King Death. Very busy, committed group of doctors, their leisure free lives...
The theme revolves around a busy neurosurgery department which is also doing research in using robotic neurosurgery and is so advanced that they have started trying their robot, Artie on patients. As a side-track we have a killer who is chase
Carlos JP Navia
Feb 13, 2010 Carlos JP Navia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, although this is an exciting read, I don't think it's superb literature; however, I so thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of this particular story--the action/mystery, the high emotion, the occasional twist, and a little neuroscience (which I especially enjoyed)--that it has become one of my favorite books. It was the first Michael Palmer book I've read, and in my eyes no other book I've read by this author since has equalled it.
Shirlene
Malloche was wanted by the CIA and they found out that he had a brain tumor. He had gone to see a surgeon in Iowa. Payment was arranged to the doctor and everything was set until the doctor found out that his family was to be held hostage until the surgery was over. Malloche wanted a guarantee that it would be successful. The doctor told him that he couldn't guarantee success, it was brain surgery after all. He was then shot in the head. The patient appeared to the doctor to have both an accent ...more
Carlee
Jun 25, 2013 Carlee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like medical thrillers, suspense, and unexpected surprises then The Patient is the book for you. This was the first book I read by Michael Palmer, MD and it made me want to continue to read all of his books, especially since they revolve around medicine. I don't know why but this particular genre interests me.

His writing is so good that while reading, I wanted to jump into the book and strangle the main antagonists. My hatred for them was hot and pure.

As for the surprises, they were gre
Grace
Jan 20, 2013 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrorists, brain tumours, crazy people, determined doctors, spunky heroine... what else could I ask for? It was short!

Admittedly, I had a hard time putting this one down. So, I didn't. I'm pretty sure that if I were to have read the full book, I would have had the same reaction to it as well. As it stands, the Reader's Digest version made it so I could finish the book in two days.

Why not five stars? Well, I really liked it. I didn't like it enough to say it was my favourite book EVER. Honestl
Carol
Aug 16, 2011 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fanastic story about a ruthless serial killer who ends up with a brain tumor that he moves heaven and earth to have removed. He kills many people and would have killed many more if not for the brave doctor and a CIA agent who work together to bring him to justice.
I listened to the book on CD and there is an author interview at the end that is really good. The author is a practicing doctor and everything he writes about in the book is now being done except the robotic cutting tool. But he says th
Falina
Nov 12, 2012 Falina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a standard suspense/thriller with a hint of romance. It was pretty entertaining, but uninspiring. The neurosurgery stuff was interesting and seemed well-researched. The characters were kinda flat and stereotypical -- brainy yet winsome and feminine neurosurgeon, hardass spy with a personal interest in his mission.
Jill Jackson
I don't usually like thrillers or suspense novels, but this book held my attention because it takes place in a hospital. I happen to work in a hospital, so perhaps that gave the story a bit of an edge with me. The author knows his stuff, and the operating room scenes are fascinating.
Judy
Apr 21, 2010 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put it down -- fast-paced, fascinating story, well written -- and I learned a bit about brain surgery for cancer (not enough to do it myself, tho ). If you like murder mysteries, this one will appeal.
Rupesh Goenka
An average & ordinary medical thriller. The story is easy to read, predictable & the plot of the book is usual & holds no suspense.
Gail
Jan 16, 2013 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This medical thriller was an easy read. A terrorist with a brain tumor needs surgery; the surgeon performing the surgery must be successful or suffer the consequences.
Kristin
Jul 12, 2010 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was worlds better than the last Michael Palmer book I read. I actually stayed up half the night trying to finish it - it was pretty exciting and very interesting.
Karleene Morrow
Jul 11, 2012 Karleene Morrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this one by Michael Palmer. Most of his books that I've read have been chilling page turners, but I think this one was the best. Cleverly designed, not predictable, a great read.
Kmousavit
این کتاب با نام بیمار توسط محمد علی مهمان نواز ترجمه شده است
Paulette Ponte
Feb 02, 2017 Paulette Ponte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book I read while walking and I really liked the book. I would have liked it even if I had read it but it was interesting enough to keep me going further than I intended. Also the story takes place in Boston so it was fun reading about some of the Boston sights.
Jan 20, 2017 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook
Dyana
Feb 22, 2016 Dyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lost sleep again finishing this book -another late night! This was a fast-paced chilling medical thriller with lots of heart-pounding suspense. I would have given it 5 stars but the ending was very abrupt. I want to know what happened to our heroes after the murderers are caught...

Jessie Copeland is a respected neurosurgeon/research scientist at Boston's Eastern Mass Medical Center. She loves her job and her patients. Besides her full schedule on the neurosurgery floor, she is also spearheading
Shelley
Summary: Someone is killing off the world's most gifted neurosurgeons, and Alex Bishop, a renegade CIA agent, thinks he knows who it is. Bishop is out to settle his score with Claude Malloche, an international assassin responsible for the death of Bishop's brother. When he learns that Malloche is afflicted with an inoperable brain tumor, Bishop understands why the murdered neurosurgeons died, and where Malloche will strike next.

Meanwhile, Jessie Copeland, an MIT-trained mechanical engineer and n
Johnsergeant
Jan 28, 2008 Johnsergeant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, audiblecom
Downloaded from Audible.com
Narrator: Lisa Harrow
Publisher: Bantam Doubleday Dell Audio, 2001
Length: 5 hours 10 min.(abridged)

Publisher's Summary
Dr. Jessie Copeland is a respected neurosurgeon who spends her days waging life-and-death battles in the OR and her spare time holed up in a lab, spearheading the development of a robot that could revolutionize brain surgery.

ARTIE - Assisted Robotic Tissue Incision and Extraction - is a fusion of biomechanics and radiology that will be able to excise tum
BJ
Mar 18, 2011 BJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Michael Palmer is an MD who is considered one of the top writers of the medical thriller genre. "The Patient" has all the ingredients to be a great book, but somehow never makes it for me. It is the story of a neurosurgeon at a large Massachusetts hospital who is involved in working with a new robotic surgical technique for taking out tumors. She and her whole surgical team, as well as the whole neurosurgical wing of the hospital with its patients are taken hostage by an international killer, hi ...more
Jerry
Jul 20, 2010 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine, suspenseful Palmer / innovative surgical plot...

We have enjoyed all of Palmer's previous medical thrillers, and quickly got hooked on this recent one featuring micro-robotic neurosurgery as a not too impossible current/future development in medicine. After a noted nuerosurgeon gets bumped off in the prologue, we are introduced to Boston doctors Jessie Copeland and her boss, Carl Gilbride, who are perfecting a tiny robot that has been engineered to perform brain surgery on malignan
Krystl Louwagie
Aug 29, 2010 Krystl Louwagie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Patient-Michael Palmer (Audio book)

This was a medical mystery type. About this tiny computer machine that can go in a do delicate small surgeries that surgeons said where in-operable until the invention of this thing. Then there's a rich terrorist who has a brain tumor that must be operated on by this thing, so he kills some Dr.'s that won't do it and takes a hospital hostage to get it done. That hospital has a female Dr. that that story focuses on. There's a little un-important romance thro
J.S.
Jul 15, 2014 J.S. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-misc
Jessie Copeland is a neurosurgeon working with an experimental robot named ARTIE used for internal brain tumor surgery. Alex Bishop is a CIA agent is tracking down a killer named Claude Malloche, who he's learned has an inoperable brain tumor. Malloche has been trying discreetly to get treatment, and killing neurosurgeons who won't guarantee success. Bishop follows his hunch that Malloche will show up at Boston's Eastern Mass. Medical Center, and happens to be in the right place at the right tim ...more
Kristen
Apr 18, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical-thriller
In one of Michael Palmer's earlier and thought-provoking medical thrillers, The Patient, he told us a gripping tale that would haunt us after we read it. For Dr. Jessie Copeland was a neuro surgeon who knew about ARTIE, a tiny robot to use inside a patient's brain for surgery. When the relentless serial killer named Claude Malloche entered the Eastern Mass Hospital, he needed Jessie to remove his brain tumor and help save him with her robot. In a life-and-death struggle, when he held the hospita ...more
Joan
Feb 24, 2012 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-medical
This was a free ebook from the library, and a popular author so I wanted to give it a try. A quick read, but often predictable. The main characters, who are selflessly heroic and brilliant against master minded assassins, got to be tedious, and I found myself just wishing for the end of the story. I enjoy the medical aspect Palmer's writing. This story is written around the setting of cutting age technology, rather than making the technology a pivotal part of the thriller. I like Palmer's writin ...more
Tiffany
Aug 20, 2008 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tiffany by: My local library
I absolutely love medical thrillers, and this book really floated my boat! Neurosurgery with "ARTIE" - Assisted Robotic Tissue Incision and Extraction - robots that will be able to excise tumors that would normally be considered inoperable. And to top it all off, a really, really bad guy named Claude Malloche who has an inoperable brain tumor, and will kill anyone who gets in the way of his getting his robot assisted surgery. Its a wild, nightmare of a ride and an unbelievable terror of a page-t ...more
Chuck Tulloh
Oct 19, 2015 Chuck Tulloh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Palmer is my new favorite medical thriller author. Cook is very good and of course there will always be Crichton who had such a varied imagination and insight as to give us Jurassic and Disclosure. But if you want medical fact based fiction, Palmer is excellent. The Patient is the best I've read yet among his titles. His character development improved by the time he got to Patient too although he always was better than some of his competition.
Abby Johnson
Young brain surgeon Jessie Copeland has worked for years on a robot that will enable previously inoperable tumors to be removed. When her boss uses the robot to save a young Olympic gymnast, word spreads fast and they are quickly swamped with cases. Unfortunately, one of these cases happens to be a crime boss who is responsible for the murder of several people. And he will stop at nothing to get the surgery he needs.

This medical thriller was fine. It kept my attention.
Angie
Jun 18, 2011 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
My dad is so funny. He can't bring himself to move on to CDs or downloadable audiobooks. Anyway. When he brings me one and says "you should listen to this, it's a good story" of course I say yes.

So now I'm done. It was an abridgement. I think that might be why every once in a while I would be like wait. Did I just doze off? That transition didn't really make sense.

That said, It was a pretty good medical thriller. Kind of like Robin Cook.
  • Shock
  • Pandemic
  • Isolation Ward (Nathaniel McCormick #1)
  • Omega
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

He
More about Michael Palmer...