Start by marking “Great Estimations” as Want to Read:
Great Estimations

Great Estimations

How many jelly beans are on this book's cover? Don't count—estimate!

If someone handed you a big bowl of jelly beans, how would you figure out how many there are? You could count them, one by one—or you could estimate. Do you see more than five jelly beans? Less than a million?

This unique book will show you how to train your eyes and your mind to make really great estimatio
Published August 22nd 2006 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Great Estimations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Estimations

Tatiana
Sep 16, 2012 Tatiana rated it really liked it
I came upon Great Estimations through my Math Methods course as a possibile selection for a children's book-based lesson, but alas the concept didn't align with fifth grade standards. This was a fantastic find nevertheless.

The photograph illustrations make the book. Kids understand math when it is presented in real world situations. They can understand making a guess about how many jelly beans are in a jar; they don't even realize they're estimating. Amidst the colorful photos, author Goldstone
Tracy St.
Mar 26, 2014 Tracy St. rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book for teaching children about estimation! I find that this is a difficult topic to teach about other than loads of practice. This book teaches children about training their eyes to estimate (knowing what groups of 10 and 100 look like), how to clump count groups of objects, how to box count items, and how to make estimations of items in jars and containers. The books progresses from simpler estimation techniques to more difficult ones so I could see introducing each topic, ...more
Scott Roark
Nov 19, 2011 Scott Roark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, grade-1-3, grade-3-5
Uses every day items and shows how children can group and then count by the number of groups given an estimated total. The book is well categoried so students of different ability levels can learn something new. Shows how students can round things to 10, 100, 1000 places. Let say there is a group of 100, the book circles a group of ten, then shows you how to estimate grouping additional intervals of that number. For an extension, teacher can take items in the classroom such as unifix cubes or ma ...more
Karan Johnstone
Jul 20, 2013 Karan Johnstone rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-read-alouds
Another great book about estimating. It explains how to train your eye to look at groups of tens, hundreds and thousands then estimate from there. It also explains clump counting and how to make clumps of 10 objects in a clump then figure out how many objects that way. Box and count is explained, too. It tells you to break the picture into 100 boxes then count the objects in one of those boxes and multiply by 100. It has high interest pictures that will keep the students engaged.
I could use this
Wilson Goss
Oct 11, 2014 Wilson Goss rated it it was amazing
A great non fiction math children's book. It's all about estimating! Fun and colorful pictures accompany numerous different estimation strategies. Hints are provided along the way to encourage even the most hesitant estimators. The estimations start easy and become more and more challenging. Even as an adult I learned some good estimating strategies I hadn't thought of!
Shannon
Aug 13, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, 2009, 2010
I use this every year in my introduction to estimation. There is little else my students stubbornly refuse to do than estimate. I think this is because we never give them truly enormous quantities to physically estimate, so they never see why estimating can be valuable. I like using this with Andrew Clement's A Million Dots.
Chanae Wills
Feb 15, 2013 Chanae Wills rated it liked it
Shelves: math
“Great Estimations” discusses the topic of estimation. It has everyday items that children are familiar with such as jelly beans, people, and rabbits. The book also gives strategies on how to estimate large numbers of objects. The pictures in the book are photographs of real objects which, I think, makes it more relatable to the students.
DixieJo
Aug 19, 2011 DixieJo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
A great math picture book! Noble, my fact lovin' kiddo, is going to eat this book up. It trains your eye to read and estimate. Great introduction to estimates, as well as follow up fun for those of us that know how to already.
Debrarian
Oct 07, 2009 Debrarian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jnf, math
Totally cool book about training the eye to estimate numbers. It‘s one of those skills I don‘t remember specifically learning, just acquiring somehow; this book really shows how it‘s done with fun photo illustrations.
Milo Lamar
Mar 14, 2015 Milo Lamar rated it really liked it
I think getting close to the answer is sometimes better than getting the exact answer if it takes sufficiently less time. I hope my son learns something from this book.
Betsy
Apr 10, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, estimating
A great math book that teaches how to eyeball a group of things to make accurate estimations. It shows different comparisons to teach what 10 or 100 or 1000 things look like. Grades 2nd to 5th.
The Library Lady
Oct 09, 2008 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
If all math books were this beautifully photographed and so much fun to read, my 13 year old would have aced math for the past 7 years. Oh, well.....
Deborah
Oct 24, 2012 Deborah rated it really liked it
A great story to read and discuss in Math class.
Miri
Oct 02, 2012 Miri rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Kind of 90s-looking photography, but still a good book for teaching kids how to estimate.
Karissa
Apr 24, 2010 Karissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Great to link literacy and math (estimation). This would be a better book for the higher grades.
Vandy
math - quantifying numbers..10 100 1000.....
estimating jelly beans
Jean LaBonte
Jean LaBonte rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Bethany Schacher
Bethany Schacher rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
Tracy Stampfli
Tracy Stampfli rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2015
clare
clare rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Jaime Barrera
Jaime Barrera rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Erin Runyon
Erin Runyon rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2014
Christine Turner
Christine Turner rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2009
Scope
Scope rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2008
Sudha Neelakantan
Sudha Neelakantan rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Dalia Serna
Dalia Serna rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Abby doodlepants
Abby doodlepants rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Sarah Ann
Sarah Ann rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Alexandra Fradkin
Alexandra Fradkin rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Bruce Goldstone is the author of several books, including 100 Ways to Celebrate 100 Days, Great Estimations, Greater Estimations and The Beastly Feast. He has worked in educational publishing for nearly twenty years. Growing up in Ohio, Bruce fell in love with reading and the magic of words, and even back then he knew he wanted to be a writer. Books have always been an important part of his life, ...more
More about Bruce Goldstone...