Start by marking “Ten Poems to Set You Free” as Want to Read:
Ten Poems to Set You Free

Ten Poems to Set You Free

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  213 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Ten Poems to Set You Free inspires you to claim the life that is truly yours. In today’s world it is deceptively easy to lose sight of our direction and the things that matter and give us joy. How quickly the days can slip by, the years all gone, and we, at the end of our lives, mourning the life we dreamed of but never lived. These ten poems, and Roger Housden’s reflectio ...more
Published December 30th 2003 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Poems to Set You Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Poems to Set You Free

Hazel Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2010 Hazel Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
If I had to choose a series of books as my all time favorite, it would be Roger Housden's Ten Poems to....
I've discovered my all time favorite poet (Naomi Shihab Nye) because of these books! He chooses the most exquisite, sublime, challenging and inspiring poetry, and his commentaries are superb, analysis that truely gets into the marrow of a poem. This is the perfect series, the perfect gift - boxed set of Roger Housden's Ten Poems... will be life-changing (and I don't use that word lightly.)

LO
Katrina Sark
Aug 01, 2014 Katrina Sark rated it liked it
p.27 – Love asks us to offer up our heart for breaking. In short, it seems to ask the impossible.
We can only respond to love with all that we are, which includes our frailties and shortcomings.
The ego, the personal identity that is constructed around our needs and wants and fears, is always defeated by love in any event. The ego is incapable of loving. Only when some other identity emerges in us, one with firm eyes, can love begin to seep through the cracks of our life. but then, apart from ou
Julien DuBrow
Dec 13, 2010 Julien DuBrow rated it it was amazing
This anthology stands out to me because of Roger Housden's commentary on the poetry. His honest and straight forward manner in sharing his own story makes me look deeper at my own personal life story and inquire into it. It makes the poetry into medicine for my soul.
Mary
Mar 18, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
I was a little turned off by the title, because typically these kind of collections seem cheesy. But this book was a paradigm-shifter for me. The poems chosen are brilliant, and the collection served as a window introducing me to the world of Mary Oliver, Stanley Kunitz, David Whyte, and others. I was enthralled by Roger Housden's explanation and personal interpretation of each poem, and followed his encouragement to read each one many times, aloud, silent, sit with the phrases...and then found ...more
Nancy Nusser
Sep 06, 2008 Nancy Nusser rated it it was amazing
All of Roger Housden books of poetry have an indepth review of the poem and how it affects his life. I found his reviews helpful in appreciating the poet and the poem.
Shannon
Jun 26, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
"How can I stand freely in the truth of my life, feel the mettle of my unique existence, and act from there, whatever my outer circumstances may be?" Roger Housden poses this question and uses ten poems as "messengers" of truth, the truth or truths that enable the reader to answer this question.

I loved this book, the poems and the analysis that followed. Though, I must say I much preferred the first part to the last; the first part seemed so much richer and to delve into the marrow of the human
Wynnie
Feb 05, 2011 Wynnie rated it it was ok
Each of the ten poems are accompanied by the editor's reflections with the purpose of explaining how the poems espouse agency.

Out of the ten poems, what I liked most are Lake and Maple (by Jane Hirshfield), Throw Yourself Like Seed (by Miguel de Unamuno) and So Much Happiness (by Naomi Shihab Nye). I did not delve too much into the accompanying expositions.

The most beneficial aspects about this collection for me is the introduction to these luminary poets and the list of recommended readings.

O
Carol
May 17, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed this book. I have purchased all of the Ten Poems they have brought sunshine into my existence.
Julia
May 30, 2014 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 50-books-in-2014
Another great book by Roger...He does know how to pick poems to explore.
Jeremy
Oct 12, 2009 Jeremy rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
All these "Ten Poems to..." are solid, but they'll also be hit or miss since they truly are one man's opinion. This collection deserves credit for being very diverse in topics, authors and tone of the poetry. I found a poem that I really connected with, and I think most readers will share my experience; one poem that will influence you. And that makes this book one worth reading.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Jun 01, 2009 Shellie (Layers of Thought) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: poetry lovers, those interested in Buddhism
A book of great poems selected from the author about the subject of finding one's life purpose. He writes about each of the poems and assists the reader in understanding their meaning in a "Zen like" fashion.
Maryjoamani
Dec 28, 2009 Maryjoamani rated it it was amazing
Great series. I recommend them all for those who want to explore poetry but haven't always felt they "understood" or "got it". Ten poems, ten reflections relating the poems to his own life and insights.
Todd
Apr 23, 2011 Todd rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, popular-stuff
Housden does a nice job of connecting poetry to human experience--not the kind of human experience that lives in MFA creative writing programs, thick with elitist references--just normal humans' experiences.
Michelle
Aug 18, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
I've given 5 stars to all of the other books in this series, but I can't bring myself to that same rating for this one. Really hit and miss on the poetry selections this time.
Terilyn
Dec 30, 2012 Terilyn rated it it was amazing
Housden's Ten Poems books are among my favorites in a very large library. Ten poems with analysis and discussion is the perfect amount.
Sue
Jul 25, 2009 Sue rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I spent any time reading poetry. This books are perfect for getting back inot the habit.
Audrey
Mar 18, 2012 Audrey rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful. I especially like the poem and ensuing commentary for 'The Layers.'
Abigail King
Oct 12, 2011 Abigail King rated it really liked it
A thoughtful, precise collection and the commentary is good company too
Hope
Sep 29, 2014 Hope rated it it was amazing
I love this book so very much!
Mary Koonce
Mary Koonce marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Amine Hattal
Amine Hattal rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Maddy
Maddy added it
Mar 14, 2016
Lydia Bazzano
Lydia Bazzano rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Youstillhavegrace
Youstillhavegrace rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
  • The Selected Poems of Wendell Berry
  • Letters on Life
  • The Smoking Diaries
  • The Lives of the Heart
Roger Housden is the author of some twenty books of non fiction, including the best selling Ten Poems series. His new book, SAVED BY BEAUTY: ADVENTURES OF AN AMERICAN ROMANTIC IN IRAN, comes out on May 17 2011 with Broadway Books.
More about Roger Housden...