Start by marking “Hope In Our Hearts” as Want to Read:
Hope In Our Hearts

Hope In Our Hearts

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Few people understand the human heart better than Elder Russell M. Nelson, who, prior to his call into the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, was a pioneering cardiac surgeon. Today, as an Apostle, he understands our hearts in a new way — most particularly, he understands our need for hope in our hearts. As a special witness of Jesus Christ, he testifies powerfully of where th ...more
Published September 2009 by Deseret Book (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hope In Our Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hope In Our Hearts

Greg
While I enjoyed the doctrines and principles of this book, it's really just a collection of Russell M. Nelson's talks loosely organized into themes. It's really no different than going on to lds.org and searching through his General Conference talks from the last decade.

I prefer LDS books that have a cohesive theme throughout - books that are written as books and not collections of addresses. That would include Standing for Something by President Gordon B. Hinckley, To Draw Closer to God by Henr
Such a treasure trove of talks by Elder Nelson. He touches on such a wide variety of topics, and I was so inspired by his steady, constant faith in God (not that I would expect anything else from one of the Lord's ordained servants, but it just came through so clearly in this book). Thank you, Elder Nelson, for expounding doctrine and truth for all the world to hear.

There is truth for you to find in this book if you read it. And, if you read it with an open mind an heart, you will be taught.

Rebekah
So I couldn't remember that I have read this before. Elder Nelson, goes through, marrage, Christ, and personal improvement. I liked the book, he brings out many good points and reminders.

I have a hard time with books that are thrown together with devotional and General Conference talks that with a few clicks on the computer I can find them for free. No need to spend $20, or more. Thought the book would move in a different direction than it did. Still have highlighted sections though.
Tanjua
I'm always annoyed when I buy a book and think it is the author's perspective on the title content and then when reading it, it is a compilation of the person's talks, devotionals, etc. With that said there are some key interesting points. No doubt the author is a great speaker with profound wisdom. Just not exactly what I expected when I read the blurb before purchase, hence why it got a 3.
Kelly Lee
After reading this book, Russel M. Nelson has become one of my role models and favourite apostles. This is a beautiful book that really does allow you to get to know him on a personal level and it deepens your understanding about God and His works. Russel M. Nelson is a very humble and strong man. I've never read or heard anyone advocate for children and their importance as well as he has.
Beth
Nice compilation of talks and addresses that Elder Nelson has given. My favorites were "The Exodus Repeated," "Christ the Savior is Born," "Worthy Music: A Source of Power and Protection," "The Magnificence of Man," and "'Neither Trust in the Arm of Flesh.'" Almost all my favorites were in the Personal Growth section of the book, so I guess I need to grow. :)
Garrett
I had always been curious about the details of Elder Nelson's professional life as a heart surgeon. He integrates stories of his career into the key gospel principles we need to keep applying in our lives. It was very edifying!
Christin
I feel weird only giving this 3 stars, I was just expecting something different. This ended up just being a collection of talks he has given which was not what the description made it sound like. So it didn't read like a cohesive unit, more just random bits and pieces. But the bits and pieces were good.
Christina
Many of these talks were from conference, so familiar to me. Others were from other settings and I learned a lot. I especially enjoyed learning more about Elder Nelson's research involving the human heart and other personal stories from his life.
Barbara
I could almost hear him speaking as I read his words. He quoted a lot of scripture which is normal for an apostle and he touched on all the subjects we normally hear addressed at general conference.
Wendyh
I can only read half of this right now. It just isn't "speaking" to me. I have read another book of his recently that I loved, but this one not so much. Hoping I will come back to it eventually.
Rebecca Matthews
An amazing intelligent man. I never fully realised how much he achieved in his field of work. I have a little more understanding and a greater appreciation of the human heart now.
Anna
I don't see how the content really connected to the title. There were some gems of information...especially the chapter on the miracle of the human body, but overall just an okay read.
Aubrey
Absolutely LOVE this book! So many great spiritual insights, and when you finish reading you will feel like a million bucks! I will read and re-read this book often!
Linda
A compilation of all of Russell M. Nelson's talks. I read a talk a day. Gave me a lot to think about and new ways to look at my perspective.
Cheryl Boyd
Oct 15, 2009 Cheryl Boyd rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All my friends on Goodreads and anyone else who wants to have a more positive outlook.
It's nice to find a book that reminds you that hope is not only possible but essential to all aspects of our well-being. I loved it.
Lacey
Really enjoyed this book. Simple points, and a reminder that hope is a wonderful thing. That we can always have hope in our hearts.
Erneilson
One quote says it all: " If there is any hope for the future of nations, that hope resides in the family."
Andrea
A compilation of previous given addresses. Could be used as a good aid to topical scripture study.
Kisty
Very good principles and teachings, just a little hard keeping my attention.
Pablo Penailillo
Amazing Book, it was a great learning experience!
J
Aug 17, 2011 J rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own-it
A good go back to book when you need a lift.
Mira Young
Mira Young marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Lorenzo Insigne
Lorenzo Insigne marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Susan Egbert
Susan Egbert marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Allyson
Allyson marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
  • Live, Love, and Learn: Devotional Messages for Women
  • The Lord's Way
  • Women of the Old Testament
  • Change Your Questions, Change Your Life
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 1 (Mortal Messiah)
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • Defined By Christ
  • The Proper Role of Government
  • House of Learning: Getting More from Your Temple Experience
  • The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences
Russell Marion Nelson is a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, one of the governing bodies of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). He is also an American physician and cardiothoracic surgeon.

A native of Salt Lake City, Utah, Nelson received an M.D. degree from the University of Utah in August 1947. Shortly thereafter, he began working with the team of doctors whic
More about Russell M. Nelson...
The Gateway We Call Death Wise Men and Women Still Adore Him From Heart to Heart The Power Within Us The Magnificence of Man and Truth--And More