Death of a Poison Pen (Hamish Macbeth, #20)

Death of a Poison Pen (Hamish Macbeth #20)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,753 ratings  ·  93 reviews
Poison pen letters lead to murder in this new Hamish Macbeth mystery from M.C.Beaton. When the townspeople of Lochdubh begin receiving poison pen letters, no one takes them very seriously, even if they are full of wild accusations. But Hamish fears that they might lead to something deadly. His instincts prove correct when the town's postmistress is found hanging from a rop...more
Published July 31st 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2004)

Yolanda
I am loving this series of mysteries set in Scotland and the bumbling redheaded Detective Hamis MacBeth. I love the setting of this book and the interesting characters that populate village life here in the North of Scotland and the sexual tension that abounds between Elspeth and him.
In this Mystery someone is sending poison pen letters causing people to die and Hamish must find out who and why along the way fighting off the advances of Jenny.
In Beatons description of the North of Scotland you l...more
C.J. Prince
I was disappointed in #19 and was going to set Hamish Macbeth aside for a bit. However, driven by curiosity, I grabbed this one and found Hamish to be his own charming self.

M.C. Beaton is increasingly clever in plot lines and murder and the entangled complexity of who-dun-it.

Someone knows something about the locals, details that will humiliate, anger or set one off for revenge. Poison pen letters, details that can injure in a small town. All the ingredients for a murder.

Now, will Hamish ever g...more
Kate
"Often underestimated and frequently unappreciated, Constable Macbeth loves his quiet life in the Highlands with his dog, cottage, and an unhurried cup of tea. Yet no copper in Scotland is faster when it comes to spotting a clue or a criminal. In this new adventure, Macbeth uncovers a vicious letter writer who uses the local post to spread seeds of gossip, fear ... and murder.

"Vacationeer Jenny Ogilvie comes to Lochdubh with plans to seduce perennial bachelor Hamish Macbeth. Terribly jealous of...more
Will Bellais
Oct 29, 2007 Will Bellais rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Hamish MacBeth
Shelves: mystery
Just finished this one. Great fun story of prudish, religious types who let their fear of "bastard-hood" create a terrible chain of murders. The touch of Scotland in this one is strong. I always enjoy Hamish MacBeth -- and I've been M.C. Beaton long before she started the successful mystery series. (There are two continuing series).
Lexi
This is a general review of the Hamish Macbeth books. I've read more than 10 in a row now as I catch up on the series. The books vary from dull to interesting, frustrating to fun.

The central character, Hamish Macbeth is likeable. He is the main reason I keep reading the stories. The interaction of Hamish with the residents of Lochdubh sounds real, from what people who live in small towns have told me. As with other books in the cozy genre the criminal is always introduced by the first 1/3 of the...more
Patricia Mack
I m endlessly delighted with this series and the main character, Hamish MacBeth. Clever casting, ingeneous story lines and gentle humor. .. what could be better
Maureen
An easy read, although not compelling. Overall, I prefer the Hamish Macbeth series to the Agatha Raisin ones, but not sure I will read any more of these.
Marilyn
I like the character Hamish Macbeth and this series HOWEVER I have a problem with this particular book. Hamish remembers that a dentist had been killed in Braikie (Death of a Dentist) and that an elderly man, Fred Sutherland, lived above the dentist's office. He wondered whether Fred still lived in that same place. SERIOUSLY??? Certainly Hamish has found lots of dead bodies in various places, but HOW WOULD HE HAVE FORGOTTEN that Fred was killed not long after the dentist??? WHERE ARE THE COPY ED...more
Jerry
We have herein yet another (#20 of 29 so far) in Beaton’s light-hearted “Death of…” mysteries about Scottish village Lochdubh and its constable Hamish Macbeth. Predictability is part of the charm – and as usual we find Hamish outwitting his superiors but keeping a low profile, while his bachelorhood continues unabated despite many a fling after the females in his life. Most of the village regulars put in appearances as well.

In “Pen”, someone in nearby village Braike is writing hateful letters to...more
Christine Keleny
I was on a trip south recently - yes, it's really hot at home so I took a vacation further south! - and on the trip the family was willing to listen to a book I blindly picked up at the library. Luckily it was a good book.

Genre: Mystery

Synopsis: When the residents of Lochdubh begin receiving poison pen letters, no one takes them seriously. But Constable Hamish Macbeth fears them, and his instincts prove correct when the postmistress is found hanging from a rope with a vicious poison pen letter...more
Dale Safford
I listened to this book once, then had an unexpected trip come up and it was what I had available, so I heard it again, all within two weeks. It was just as good the second time! I love these characters. The dry humor is very entertaining, especially when mentioning lesbians, and an innocent schoolgirl responds "they didn't look Greek to me." :-) And the old biddies finding "thong" underwear, and telling the owner of them to "get a respectable pair of knickers that are tight at the knee." LOL Th...more
Nathalie S
I love the Hamish Macbeth mysteries by M.C. Beaton! This is my second time through this particular title. I really like reader Graeme Malcolm who just personifies Hamish to me. Hamish is the village bobby in Lochdubh (pronounced Lor-Doo) in Scotland. He is brilliant but is not ambitious, preferring to stay in his little police cottage with his few sheep and hens and his dog. He was once promoted to sergeant and had to move to the drug infested Strathbane which he hated. In this book, poison pen...more
Lynne
Much better than 'Death of a Snob' but still nowhere near as engaging as the TV version. This Hamish is 'flame-haired'; Wee Jock is really called Lugs (major shock, that one); Alex is Priscilla; Isabel is Elspeth, and... there's no TV John, Barnie, The Major, Lachlan or Lachy Jnr, if fact there are none of the characters so familiar from the Rober Carlyle vehicle recently repeated on Watch.
Another cheapie from The Works, and fine for a soggy afternoon.
Beth
Gerry
Hamish Macbeth is hard at work again, despite the attempts by one of his superiors to limit his potential.

Not surprisingly in Lochdubh there are murders taking place and these follow a spate of poison pen letters. One of the murdered ladies was suspected of being the writer of the letters so Hamish has his work cut out in trying to resolve the crime.

He has the assistance of Jenny Ogilvie from London, who is there to throw her cap at him to spite her London-based friend Priscilla Halburton-Smythe...more
Jim B
Read with Scots Highlander accents by Graeme Malcolm.

The fun of Agatha Christie, but with interesting characters. Highland weather and other local color plays a role in this mystery. The single policeman has love interests.
Dolly
This is another entertaining mystery in the Hamish Macbeth series by M.C. Beaton. My mother-in-law and I have been reading this series fairly steadily now for the last couple of years and we have really enjoyed it. We only have a half dozen more books to go until we are all caught up. We like the characters and the stories are interesting and quick reads. This one was a bit violent and included some rather mad characters, but I was engrossed by the tale. Overall, a good cozy read.

new words: chei...more
Marilyn
This series is very entertaining. I have been listening to the audible versions in my car and they are great for making commuting time pass pleasantly. (Eliminates road rage!)
Joseph J Vandermark
A good read.

very enjoyable. a good story and a good plot. a must read. it's amazing how Hamash gets into so many romantic situations.
Thalia
A little more than halfway through, I am...not sure. So far this is a fast-paced mystery, and I certainly want to find out whodunnit, but the writing is not totally up my alley. I'll certainly stick with it though, and may find others as quick mystery reads. I think I like more descriptive writing, even if it slightly slows down the pace. Ah well.

After finishing, and reading the first in the series, I am even more disappointed in the choppiness of the writing. I will be trying the series again,...more
Francine
It is more than a 3 but not quite a 4. I have followed Hamish MacBeth through all the previous books he is one of my favourite fictional character. Death of a Poison Pen is an easy read, simple story not the best but thoroughly enjoyable nevertheless. Hamish will find the murderer and outwit his nemesis Chief Inspector Blair once more. There is tension in his relationships with women either Jenny, Elspeth or Priscilla. As Elspeth said so well "Good hunting, but you'll find the prey is difficult...more
Nancy
Tasneem
Another fantastically entertaining Hamish murder mystery. I adore Hamish and the way he sets about solving the murders through hard work, mooching and gossip. The women who tend to help him along are always fun to read about too. I did feel sorry for Jenny originally, but by the end of it I had begun to find her a nasty piece of work. I really was annoyed at the way she took the glory for figuring out who the killers were when it was Hamish who came up with the goods.
AnnieM
It isn't gonna change the world, but it is such a nice light read with a little traveling. No passport. No long lines. No federal government.

Just Hamish his sleepy little town with its quirky people and it's shockingly violent people who almost always are visitors.
Jan
My new love is Hamish MacBeth. I listened to this on cd in my car and found myself sitting in the car and listening long after I returned home. A sweet detective, quirky characters, what could be better.
Kim
You know, I don't really know why I read this series or the other one by her - everyone in the books is rude, abrupt and malicious. I like the settings - British villages. I like the genre. But the characters are so unpleasant that I never really enjoy the books themselves. They are ok for car listening - when I have to be there anyway, but I won't read them at home.
Keith
This is the fist Hamish Macbeth mystery book I've read. I will definitely be reading more. I enjoy the character of Hamish, a police constable in a small town on the north coast of Scotland. The other towns people are delightful. M.C. Beaton's descriptions of the countryside are delightful. Her writing style keeps the mystery lively. The book has been a pleasure to read.
Karen
M.C. Beaton creates unique and interesting "whodunit" stories, and this one is another winner. A series of poison pen letters are delivered to local people, and Hamish Macbeth gets to work to discover the identity of the writer. When the writer turns up murdered, he gets to work trying to connect the murder with a local suicide...or was it a suicide? Read to find out!
Kyrie
Definitely repetitive themes - girls flinging themselves at Hamish and then being offended by him. Blair being a jerk. Hamish longing for both cigarettes and Priscilla and then avoiding them.
The mystery at the heart of the story is good, and a bit convoluted. I like that -makes it harder to figure out before the tale ends.
  • Our Lady of Pain (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #4)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
  • The Body In The Transept (Dorothy Martin, #1)
  • Death In Disguise (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Family Tree (Aunt Dimity, #16)
  • The Hunt Ball
  • The Whitechapel Conspiracy (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #21)
  • Slay Bells (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #14)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottis...more
More about M.C. Beaton...
The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2) Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2) Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)