Start by marking “The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner” as Want to Read:
The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner

The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  657 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Canaan Creek, South Carolina, in the 1950s is a tiny town where the close-knit African-American community is united by long-term friendships and church ties. Bonnie Wilder has lived here, on Blackberry Corner, all her life, and would be content but for her deep desire to have a child. She and her husband Naz cannot conceive, and he refuses to adopt. Even the support of her ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 441 pages
Published December 1st 2006 by Thorndike Press (first published 2006)

Nandi Crawford
Dec 05, 2007 Nandi Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a good heart and love for reading
If you want to see genuine sisterhood in action(with some playa hating on the side), then this is the book for you. You have this lady who wants babies, and her husband doesn't. He finds an abandoned baby which just hurts her to the core. In a community meeting to deal with the problem, she makes a statement to bring the unwanted babies her way, and that's what start up the network of little babies that end up her way and go to homes that truly want a baby. Of course, things go well for a bit, b ...more
Amanda Jones
From Booklist
In a small black town in South Carolina in the 1950s, Bonnie Wilder is happily married to Nazareth but longs for a child. When her husband and his fishing buddies come upon a dead baby in a nearby river, shy Bonnie stands up at a community meeting and speaks up for the possible anguish of the mother. Surely there needed to be outlets for women who didn't want or couldn't raise their children. Soon she becomes the recipient of abandoned babies left on her doorstep. But Naz won't hear
Nicole
Jan 06, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2015-read
I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel, but I just loved it. It centers around a lady in the late 50's, and a group of her friends that find homes for infants left on her doorstep...almost like an underground railroad for babies. It addresses the challenges that face this community: poverty, adultery, infertility, inadequate resources for unwed mothers. There is an endearing relationship between the Sisterhood that allows for lots of laughs and tears. The novel makes you want to be a part ...more
Hyacinth
Feb 24, 2015 Hyacinth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with the rating of 4 or 5 stars only because the story took a tad bit long to build...but when it did, we were off to the races! I loved the story. I experienced a range of emotions as I read. In the beginning I thought Naz a stand up guy; he is a buster! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Thora Dean, she had me in stitches the entire time. Tilde, I wanted to beat her like a thug in the street. Lucinda reminds me of some women today, smh, just ugh! This was a bittersweet story mixed with love, siste ...more
Cooley42
A good book for Book Clubs as there is much to discuss, especially the characters who are well developed: Bonnie the self-sacrificing and too-good-to-be-true woman who wants a baby of her own so badly that when a dead baby is found in the creek near her house, she volunteers to help save babies born to others who are too poor or too young or too uncaring to keep the child; Naz,her bigger-than-life husband who once pitched in the Negro Baseball league, who loves his wife but brings demons from be ...more
P.D.R. Lindsay
May 28, 2013 P.D.R. Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pleasant-reads

'The Sisterhood Of Blackberry Corner' is set in South Carolina, America's Deep South, and is written with Southern dialogue and idioms. The story is about the African-American community of Canaan Creek in the 1950s.

Bonnie Wilder tells her story, sitting on her porch in 1985, and looking back at the year of 1957-58. Bonnie's story interested and horrified me, because Bonnie's community is all African American, there was no integration and a great deal of racism, but it is part of Bonnie's life
Tasha
May 19, 2015 Tasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This turned out to be a really good read. It took me a while to really get into it (I allowed myself to get distracted), but once I did, I was hooked. Such a great storyline, with great characters. The storyline really took a surprising turn but I was pleased in the end. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
Miri
I actually did not want to read this book. I picked it up on a little free library excursion for a reading scavenger hunt, because the only other options were by Glenn Beck. But it appeared to be a combination of religious fiction and gentle fiction, neither of which are my thing. I was very pleasantly surprised.
Brenda
Aug 25, 2015 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
This book about a group of ladies that find homes for children that are abandoned or that their mother's can't care for. Although no legal adoption has taken place the ladies find homes for eleven children. Their lives, and the lives of the children they took care of make up the basis of the story. An interesting read.
Sarah Hale
Jul 16, 2016 Sarah Hale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a great mix of humor, drama, excitement- all of the things that make it a great recipe for a fun, realistic story. I enjoyed this book a lot but it seemed to be slow to start. Once I got into it, I couldn't put it down!
Amira Smith
Jun 18, 2014 Amira Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trying to read this for a book club but right it is so boring!! I really don't care for books that are dated that far in the past but we'll see what happens.

Thought I wasn't going to like this book but I was wrong. Love, lost, friendship and secrecy....just what I like. Another book that made me cry and soul search awesome!!! I only hope that my friendship with my best friend will be as strong as Bonnie and Thora's.
Kimberly Hicks
Jun 05, 2012 Kimberly Hicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This was an outstanding read and story. I must admit there was one part of the story that left my heart very heavy, but, much like Bonita, the main character, was one I came to live with. If you enjoy southern-style stories, this is a must read.

The year was 1956 when Naz, Bonita's husband, goes fishing with his buddies, only to discover an infant's lifeless body in the creek. The shock and dismay this infant's death brought about The Three Sisters, an area in South Carolina, is one any reader w
~Sharon~
Jul 22, 2016 ~Sharon~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great read to me. It made me laugh, smile and cry. The story is of a group of women from the same town but with different backgrounds working together to help others. These ladies felt they were changing children's lives for the better. At the heart of The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner, is Bonnie and Thora, I truly loved the friendship these two had and really believe this is the type of friendship that we all want. I relate more to Bonnie, she was on the quiet side, her roots ...more
Nicole Sharon
Jan 27, 2016 Nicole Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed, cried, and cussed during this book! I so loved it! I felt Bonnie and her struggle. Naz? I wanted to pimp slap him! But oh well, such is life. This is a great read!
Anna
May 28, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delight read. It is on the list for my book group to read and discuss this summer.
Seritasunflower
Sep 22, 2008 Seritasunflower rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grabbed this book while waiting on the bus one afternoon because the title was catchy. It was a moving story about a group of women who went over and beyond the call of duty to help other women. Set in 1950’s, the two main characters of the book hold together a friendship that endures over thirty years of life obstacles that can truly be related to today. Neither of the women have children, but their compassion for children and the risks they take to save children unwanted children gets them i ...more
Valerie
This was a charming and likeable story. Perhaps one of the reasons I enjoyed it as much as I did is that I could relate to much of what was said and done. While the time period was a little before my time, a lot of the expressions and things that were said and done remind me of my parents.

This book, while not as good, reminded me of the Help (Kathryn Stockett), good page turner. One of the critisims I have heard about this book was that it was predictable. Yes, it was but it was so charming that
Collette
Apr 24, 2013 Collette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to keep up with the era in which the story took place. I just loved Bonnie and all of her sister friends, they had their moments with each other but you couldn't separate them. The cause they picked up or got throwed at them was a great responsibility and they took it to the heart. Watching each child grow up and take on their own responsibility was also very interesting....who would've thought Noah turned out to be an attorney. And Bonnie finally talking to Augusta and telling her where s ...more
Gwen George
Feb 23, 2014 Gwen George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had some great moments
Dspoe
May 12, 2014 Dspoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book!!!
Joni
Mar 19, 2009 Joni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves rich characters
Recommended to Joni by: found it at the library
Outstanding!! Loved this story of an African-American community in the South of the 1950s. The story jumps between the 50s and 80s. Always held my interest. Characters are richly drawn; cannot decide which character I liked the most...and that is good!

The narrator (Lizan Mitchell) was phenomenal. The colloquialisms of the Southern African-American community were constant and Mitchell captured each character's nuances.

Richly written; full of life...definitely my favorite book in a LONG time!
Peggy
Apr 24, 2010 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I became so emotionally involved with Bonnie, the main character. This is a good book of life-long friendships. Bonnie and her friends get involved in illegal adoptions while trying to save infants from neglect or even death. They help find homes for the babies, but everything goes wrong and they end up in trouble. A tear-jerker ending. There are several little twists to keep the book interesting. The first half was slow, but I couldn't but the book down once i started it.
Mary
Apr 30, 2010 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
This slow starting novel tells a tale of a group of church friends who help find homes for unwanted babies. It seemed odd that the author had the characters were swearing in church. Set in the 1950's and jumping forward to the 80's..it did not always seem true to the times. And how did these people make a living? Hmmm? Sisterhood of Blackberry Creek was a book club selection with most of the members loving this book which did feature an interesting group of friends.
Penny
Sep 09, 2010 Penny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read for October book club selection.
It's just a nice tale about a group of 6 women who decide to do something about a dead baby found floating in their creek. One lady volunteers to take unwanted babies and find them adoptive parents. This they do in secrecy although another jealous woman alerts the police who come and take away 2 of the women's kids. Things get resolved. Thora's husband dies. Bonnie has to deal with an unfaithful husband.
Reneeukele
Mar 04, 2014 Reneeukele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
COULD NOT FINISH THIS BOOK...I FELT IT WENT NOWHERE...
Cathy Roll
Jul 08, 2016 Cathy Roll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love the book lot of laugher .friendship and good hearts the name says it all .very good book thank you andera .
Kristin Westergard
I listened to this on cd and found it quite entertaining.
Patricia Gilliam
Ok.. this book was a little "drab" and if anyone else reads it.. please please help me out...

The story is set in the late 50's... so why is this chick referring to the movie "The Color Purple".. i know that movie didn't come out until the 80's...

But there was an interesting story to follow... so if you have nothing else to read... it's not bad.... :-)
Robbin
Jul 17, 2012 Robbin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! Very well-crafted story about a woman and small group of her friends who find homes for unwanted babies. Beneath the surface, the story reveals an intricate secret the woman discovers and the aftermath lusciously unfolds, keeping you on your seat. Very lovely story, both sad and funny. Would highly recommend.
Cicely
Sep 28, 2009 Cicely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out really slow, however, it did not really pick up until about page 103. If it wasn't a bookclub choice, I would have given up reading this book. My motto is, I'll give a book 50 pages, if after 50 pages it doesn't capture me, I have to put it down. I can see continuation of this novel.
  • Sunday Brunch: A Novel
  • Baby Brother's Blues
  • Everybody Say Amen
  • Orange Mint and Honey
  • The Deal, the Dance, and the Devil
  • Don't Tell a Soul
  • Child of God
  • Holy Ghost Corner
  • Boaz Brown (Boaz Brown, #1)
  • Pecking Order
  • The Accidental Diva
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
  • The Wake of the Wind
  • Fifth Born
  • Single Girl Summer
  • Redemption
  • Mary B. Morrison Bundle: Soulmates Dissipate / Never Again Once More / Darius Jones (Soulmates Dissipate, #1-2, 8)
  • I Ain't Me No More (Always Diva, #1)
Andrea Smith has received fellowships from the Frederick Douglass Creative Arts Center and The New York Council on the Arts. She was born and raised in Brooklyn and now lives in Atlanta.
More about Andrea Smith...