Pride and Petticoats (Spies, #2)

Pride and Petticoats (Spies #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Dear Friend,

You were right: desperation is a dangerous state of mind. It was desperation that drove me to London to salvage my family's reputation and finances in the first place. And it is desperation--and perhaps a little desire--that has gotten me into the situation I find myself in now.

You see, I've become ensnared in the investigation of a traitor by Lord Dewhurst--th...more
Published August 29th 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Pride and Petticoats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride and Petticoats

Rachel (BAVR)
When the book you're reading starts off with the heroine arriving in London from Charleston, SC with her faithful slave named Addy, who says things like, "Chicken spit. I satisfied with a roof a new shawl. Oh, and I could do with a heap of some simple homecooked food," it's evident that your WTF detector needs to be on red alert.

[image error]
GIFSoup

But like a brave little soldier, I kept on reading. This isn't something I'm proud of, necessarily, but I paid damn good money for this book and ha...more
Verity
Cute, a boatload of fun, heelarious @ times, can't wait to read more SG. For once, the title & the models on the cover fit the content 8^2
MaggieReadsRom
After reading about Freddie in “When Dashing met Danger” I was really wondering what twist Shana Galen was going to give his story. I sensed there was more to him than met the eye and turns out there certainly was.

Posing as a dandy with a funny sense for fashion with nothing on his mind but what to wear the next day, Freddie actually is not such a dandy but a cunning spy. And in this role he meets Charlotte, a smart and strong-willed American girl with a deep repulsion for everything English bu...more
Gemma
I'll admit I didn't finish this. The heroine's constant use of "George Washington" as an exclamation was really, really annoying. Funny the first time or two. Not so funny when it's repeated on every following page, sometimes more than once. Okay, the heroine is an American patriot--I get it! No need to beat me over the head with it.
May
This book was a mess.

Unlikeable characters, writer over-uses some descriptive words and expression "George Washington!" as a swear/exasperated phrase for heroine and just yuck. No plot, twists, emotion, or any sense good about this story. Just yuck.

Go get lord & lady spy. That rocks. Don't bother with this one.
Fatgingercat
First, I want to say two words : boring and predictable. I have read similar plot in many other books, so I can guess what will happen with the hero & the heroine. I was hoping maybe we can get some kidnapping/fighting/murder/betrayal story. Nope. No twisted story, no surprising action. It's just a plain ordinary romance. *yawn*

Second, I don't feel the chemistry between H and h. They start the fake marriage with prejudice to each other and I can't see how they solved their differences in a s...more
Farrah
I just adore Shana Galen and her historical romances. After reading Lord and Lady Spy I couldn’t wait to grab a copy of Pride & Petticoats after finding out about an interesting married couple who had a cameo spot in the end.

Great cast of characters that had me laughing hysterically as they interacted with the other. The only problems I had were that I felt it too short, I expected a little more action, and thought for sure we’d have discovered her mother was really known among the Ton. But...more
April
Okay, I didn't realize this book was part of a series and after I finished off the third book in the Misadventures in Matrimony series, I wanted to read another of Shana Galen's books. I bought four of her books on Friday and had them all read by Sunday night. It is always hard for me to find a new author I like, but Shana Galen is my newest obsession--I am trying to be patient for her fourth book in the Misadventures series, but it is SO hard!! If you like romance novels, this is an author to c...more
Julie
I've read a LOT of trash and recently began wondering if the historical romance adaptation of Weekend at Bernie's might be worse than this book. I picked this book up again for research purposes and, although I was expecting bad, I'm truly shocked. It starts with a racist depiction of the heroine traveling to a bad part of London with her Mammy, a la Scarlet O'Hara, and goes downhill from there. Wow. I put this book in a category of bad all by itself. I strongly urge you to read it.
Alex
I liked the book. I thought there was enough heat and story. But will I remember this book in the next few weeks?...maybe not.

Follow me on Twitter! ThisLadyReadsALot (@ThisLadyDoes)

Anne
First of all, how cute is the name?! When I saw the book was called Pride and Petticoats, I figured it would be way over the top...and it was. I loved every minute of it!
Maria
The second in Galen's Regency Spies series. Another fabulous story of adventure, intrigue, and romance. For my full review: http://bit.ly/13x9PHh
Lisa Hutson
Fun. Freddie & Charlotte are quite the pair. And they tried to stop it. They tried to. But in the end, love always wins.
Gayle Cochrane
Absolutely loved this book. Fun and witty dialogue between charming characters.
Patti
I read this some time in August.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Parul Sood
Parul Sood marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Darlena
Darlena marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Taiye Williams
Taiye Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Toni Whitmire
Toni Whitmire marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
  • To Ruin the Duke
  • Passion and Pleasure in London (Charmed and Dangerous, #3)
  • Taken by Desire
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • The Seduction Of An Unknown Lady (McBride Family #2)
  • The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)
  • Bound to a Warrior (The Warrior King, #1)
  • Stealing the Bride (Danvers, #2)
  • Surrender A Dream
  • Bride for a Night
  • Never Lie to a Lady (Neville Family #1)
  • Sexy As Hell (Bruton Street Bookstore, #2)
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • For Love or Country (Historical, #1)
  • My Dangerous Duke (Inferno Club, #2)
  • Seduced by a Spy
Shana Galen is the bestselling author of fast-paced adventurous Regency historicals, including the RT Reviewers' Choice The Making of a Gentleman. Booklist says, "Galen expertly entwines espionage-flavored intrigue with sizzling passion," and RT Bookreviews calls her "a grand mistress of the action/adventure subgenre." She taught English at the middle and high school level off and on for eleven ye...more
More about Shana Galen...
Lord and Lady Spy (Lord and Lady Spy, #1) When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1) The Rogue Pirate's Bride (The Sons of the Revolution, #3) The Making of a Duchess (The Sons of the Revolution, #1) If You Give a Rake a Ruby (Jewels of the Ton, #2)