Start by marking “A Dog Needs a Bone” as Want to Read:
A Dog Needs a Bone

Audrey Wood

A Dog Needs a Bone

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  47 reviews

Follow the plight of this bone-obsessed, lovable mutt as she spends her day waiting, pleading, and plotting for a bone from her mistress. Readers will delight in the humor and irresistable charm of this incorrigible canine as she tries to stave off her desire until at last she gets her long-awaited bone.
Young readers will be drawn to the simple rhyming text and playful cr
Paperback, 1 page
Published September 28th 2007 by Blue Sky Press (AZ) (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Dog Needs a Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dog Needs a Bone

Cheryl
I do love Audrey Wood. King Bidgood's in the Bathtub, The Napping House, etc. I love how her style of art changes every time to best suit the story. This one is so simple and yet so funny I'm sure it's another hit with preschoolers.
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary A dog want a bone and tries to get his owners attention.
Annotation
This is a simple story that has a problem the dog does not know how to solve, but depends upon his owner to be kind. The story is told in rhyme.
Age appropriateness -This could be used with children 0-5
Connection to six early literacy skills - print awareness is one of the skills presented. The text is presented in an easy to read format with text written on the bottom of the page, except when referring to a specifi
Jen Goeden
The story A Dog needs a Bone is about a dog who wants a bone really bad from his mistress, which the dog does many jobs to earn a bone. When the mistress gets home from the store she tries to feed him carrot, broccoli, squash, and peas, but he does not want any of that he just wants a bone.

On the cover of this book the title has texture to it, which you can feel. The title is raised and bumpy. There are three title pages in this book. The first two title pages just have the title on it with a l
Christian Houseworth
This book was such a cute book!!! It was about a dog who desperately needs a bone and really wants his mistress to give him one. He need a bone so bad that he is willing to perform all of these jobs to get one. This book is written from the perspective of the dog and its almost like he is writing a letter to his mistress begging for a bone. This would be a book good to use to encourage students to write letters to someone about something they want. This book is also good for teaches students to ...more
Erin
A dog would do just about anything for a bone. This one begs and pleads with his mistress to get one.

Good for toddler storytimes.
Allison Clyne
Audrey Wood’s A Dog Needs a Bone is told from a dog’s perspective as he desperately wants a bone and begs his mistress for one; the dog is even willing to do numerous jobs in order to get one. The text is fairly simple and would be great for introducing rhyming to young students because the words are written like a poem. This story would also work well with a lesson on how illustrations can complement the text. The story would be best used as a read aloud and the teacher can point out the litera ...more
Jess
Sep 19, 2012 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschool - K
Recommended to Jess by: Past books
Shelves: z_12, picture-books
A dog needs a bone!

Totally dig Audrey Wood's stuff. When I read her books, the rhyme comes out in my reading. Seriously. I don't have to search for one; it's just there.

Plus, it's about a dog. Kids like dog books. And, the illustrations are funny and warm.

So kudus. Except - why'd you use the word mistress, Audrey? No one's used that word outside of an affair in like 40 years. No child knows that word and the ones that do are British or thinking doxy. You know where minds go. And you used it li
Eva Leger
This is another that I wished I'd had awhile ago. Julia is just a little tiny bit too old for this now. That's not to say we didn't enjoy it - we definitely did. But I can tell it would have made a much bigger impression if she were a year or two younger. I'm going to have to start looking more closely at our library borrows in the future.
I won't go through the description - it's here already. Toddlers will love this - the story and the illustrations. And my daughter showed me that a well read
Savannah Montalvo
A Dog Needs a Bone, written and illustrated by Audrey Wood was a cute story that even made me laugh. I'm sure many young children would enjoy this book as much as I did. I liked how the story was told in a poem, and all the fun illustrations that brought the book to life. There were great morals people of all ages could learn from this book as well. First, one should say please and secondly, it's good to be patiently. Good things come to those who wait. I personally thought the book was great fo ...more
Gretchen
Very funny! Great illustrations.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 117081 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 1.7 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV

I love this author her writing is simply creative. She weaves a catchy fun tale that every child can identify. In this story the dog needs a bone. He pursuades his owner to get him a bone.
Oanh
"A Dog Needs a Bone" is about a dog who tells of all the things he'll do (or not do) for his mistress in order to get a bone. This would be a great story to model to students how to write persuasively and from a point of view. The dog offers some good arguments that I would encourage my students to make as well in order for them to get what they want.
Gwen the Librarian
What is your dog thinking about all day long? Bones! Toy bones, treat bones, squeaky bones. The dog in this story promises to do all kinds of funny, crazy things, if only his mistress will give him a bone! How about a carrot? No? Will this dog ever get a bone? This doggy sees bones everywhere! How many bones can you find in the illustrations?
Rebekah
The cover was totally false advertising because this book had nothing to do with a dog playing a trumpet. But the dog asking for a bone to chew on was adorable, with a little heart-shaped nose and eyebrows that floated over his head that made up for it.
Kathy
The dog begs his owner (Mistress) for a bone, he promises to do various things for a bone. She goes to the store and brings back a carrot, broccoli, squash, and peas. The poor dog! Very funny pictures of the dog's expressions.
Tiffany Tilton
This is a wonderful book for learning rhyming or good for a fun storytime book. The book is very easy to read and good for students who are beginning readers who are trying their skills at rhyming; also great for dog lovers.
Janet
Enjoyed the antics of the dog in this title. The light sepia of the pages was very interesting and well done--the illustrations contrasted well with the color. The text of the book had a nice upbeat tone and moved along well.
The Library Lady
I'd love this book just for the hilarious pictures. The dog seems straight out of one of my favorite cartoons-full of action and humor. The text works perfectly. I'd love to pair this with "Bark, George" at a story hour!
Dolly
Feb 27, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, pets
Cute story, rhyming narrative. Not much to it. Our youngest picked this book out at her school fair and we enjoyed reading it together. We have since donated it back to her school to be given to another child.
Jill
I received this book when I was pregnant with my first born. This was one of his all time favorite books to read. The story is cute and easy to follow. Every little boy that loves dogs will love this story.
Bonnie Chang
This is a fun and simple book to read aloud to children. Children will enjoy the rhymes and story pattern that follows the dog's actions. Will his master eventually give the bone he's been begging for?
Anna Francesca
This has a cute rhyme scheme, and the illustrations nicely complement the text. I especially appreciate Wood's strong verb choice. This would make a good read-aloud for preschool-aged children.
Irina
This a very cute and catchy rhyming book about a dog that will do anything for his mistress to give him a bone. It's very short and sweet; small children would love it!
Lorie
I really like Audrey Wood's books. Great rythym, even the ones that aren't rhyming. They go over terrifically in story time and in classes of all ages.
Callie Mish
I would really give this 3.5 stars. This story is silly and fun for the students. I had my students search for dog bones throughout the story
Tina
Published: 2007
Genre: Picture book
Theme: Rhyming
Summary: A story of all the things a dog would be willing to do for a bone.
Alexander The Triumphant
In this book, it tells you what your dog is thinking. I like it because it tells you new things, and it's funny. -by Alexander
Edna
Rhyming verse and funny bold oil-crayon illustrations explain the desperate but simple desire of this silly -looking dog.
Carol
Another fun book from Audrey Wood. Wood's illustrations joyfully and amusingly supported the fun rhyming text.
I love this book, some dogs will do ANYTHING for a treat, and when you go they think you are gone forever.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Christmas Carol: A BabyLit® Colors Primer
  • Little Owl Lost
  • I Got Two Dogs
  • Puddle Pug
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • Birds
  • Big, Bigger, Biggest!
  • Chick 'n' Pug
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • Hello, Day!
  • The Cow That Went OINK
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • Duck at the Door
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).
More about Audrey Wood...
The Napping House King Bidgood's in the Bathtub Silly Sally Quick as a Cricket Heckedy Peg