Start by marking “My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)

My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  30,425 ratings  ·  2,215 reviews
Download the novella My Soul to Lose , an exclusive FREE prequel to Rachel Vincent s Soul Screamers series.

She doesn't see dead people, but she senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school.

Published August 1st 2009 by Harlequin Teen (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about My Soul to Take, please sign up.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsShiver by Maggie StiefvaterHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
MUST READ YA BOOKS!!!
110th out of 233 books — 122 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadYours Truly, Taddy by Avery Aster
Dream Guy
201st out of 228 books — 138 voters

More lists with this book...

Kim
Okay, normally I really don't like books where a guy and a girl eye-hump each other for 5 minutes and then decide they're the ones that Kiss song was written for. This book is no different.

At first I was a bit suspicious, because well... it's not like Nash noticed Kaylee before, so I didn't really know where the sudden interest comes from. But my suspicion faded pretty quickly, ahem.

But of course, Kaylee is beautiful, but doesn't know it... And I can see where this thing with Tod is going... (
Jennifer Armentrout
Oh jeez, I think I found a new series to obsess over. Great.
Tatiana
Jan 18, 2010 Tatiana rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
Shelves: 2010, ya, urban-fantasy
"My Soul to Take" is, to my surprise, the first YA urban fantasy I've come across. Sort of a teen version of Kelley Armstrong's "Women of the Otherworld" series and Richelle Mead's Succubus books. The majority of the teen paranormal books on the market nowadays are straight romances, which means there is a lot of kissing, staring into each other's eyes, sleeping in the same bed (in a chaste way, naturally) and angst, and very little development of mythology or plot. "Hush, Hush," "Shiver" and "E ...more
Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist)
(Mini review to avoid even the slightest bit of spoilage)

I couldn't put this book down, it was just the fix I needed to feed my YA addiction. I love how unique Kaylee's story is, it really pops in comparison to the hoard of para ya out there. Most importantly the world building was freaking brilliant, the characters were engaging and believable, and the romantic aspects were age appropriate.

And then there was Todd *sighs*, me likey Todd ; ).
★ʜɑʋɘɳ★
If you get annoyed at shallow characters, obvious plot lines and a rather unexciting love story, then I'd suggest you skip this book.

I absolute LOATHED this book. So many of my friends rated this book quite highly, which compelled me into wanting to like this, too.
Yeah, well, that didn't work out.
I stuck out until the end, in hope I would find SOME redeeming qualities. There were none.

The Characters
The characters are one-dimensional. They have names, alright, but that's about it. They have a
Kristi
I have Rachel’s adult series sitting on my shelf, they still need to be read, but when the opportunity arose to read her debut YA novel, I knew I had to pounce! (That was totally a pun for her werecats novels, just in case you didn’t get that.)

This was an interesting start to a new series. The whole premise of soul screamers is very original and unique amongst the throng of ya paranormal novels. The beginning was slow, but with the amount of back story that Rachel had to do, it was almost inevit
Navessa
Rachel Vincent, thoust hast redeemed thouself. Thyself? Thineself? Screw it. Look you’re off my shit list, okay lady?

I liked this book. I really liked it.

I’m not sure if that’s because I hated Stray so much (which I ATTEMPTED to read directly before this one—don’t do it, trust me) or if it’s because this book is really that good. Based on the glowing notes I took, I’m leaning towards the latter.

I recommend this book to readers who:

1. Are sick of hating main characters
2. Are sick of main chara
Kayleigh {K-Books}
I had this book sat on my bookshelf for a while before finally picking it up. After reading the first book in Rachel Vincent's adult urban fantasy series, Blood Bound, I instantly wanted to read her other series so I finally picked up this one.

I loved this book, I thought it was amazing. I always enjoy original storylines and I thought the storyline of this book is definitely original and not something I have read before. I loved that we got to see the characters grow a lot in this book.
Kaylee,
Inspired Kathy
I probably should have reviewed this book as soon as I finished it earlier this week. Instead I found and read its prequel, then picked up the 2nd book in the series, and then the 3rd. I started the 4th book at midnight last night and have already finished it and just bought book number 5. As soon as I'm done with that I'm planning to buy the 2 novellas I've not yet read. I'm sleep deprived but just can't seem to get enough of this series.

It's been way too long since as series of books kept me u
~Tina~
(4.5 Stars)

My Soul to Take is about a girl named Kaylee, who gets very unusual panic attacks. Sometimes she can see a shadow that wraps around any random person that makes Kaylee want to have a gut wrenching scream, see, she knows when this happens that the person is about to die.
Not understanding what is going on and believing she isn't crazy no matter what people think, Kaylee gets some help from someone she never would have dreamed, the gorgeous Nash. With his help Kaylee will finally underst
LethalLovely~Live Through This and You Won't Look Back
I read the first book in Rachel Vincent’s urban fantasy series, “Shifters” a few years ago. I was not impressed, nor did I feel the urge to give it another try. But when I found out she’d written an urban fantasy YA series from friends on Goodreads, I figured, why not?

Kaylee Cavanaugh is a junior in high school who has felt the urge to scream uncontrollably on a few occasions, which she believes are panic attacks. Living with her seemingly oblivious aunt and uncle and her popular cousin, she fee
Katie(babs)
Kaylee Cavanaugh has big problems, and not your normal angsty teenage ones. Her father has been missing from her life ever since her mother died, she lives with an aunt who is obsessed with looking young and fit, an uncle who does seem to care about her, but a cousin who can hardly stand her. Her home life may be less than ideal, but Kaylee has more to worry about than getting along with her relatives. Kaylee knows when someone is going to die. And when the Grim Reaper comes for a person’s soul, ...more
Feminista
Rating: 2 out of 5.

This book wasn't very original when it came to paranormal YA. Most of the book was spent with the heroine asking questions. The heroine also asked the wrong questions, or unimportant questions first. The heroine needed to get her priorities straight. I could go on for pages and point out where the book failed me, but the points below are instances in the first half of the book that annoyed me:

• The hero is the hot/popular guy at school who is also coincidentally a man-whore.
Nic
The story is about Kaylee who can sense when somebody near her is going to die. When that happens Kaylee screams bloody murder, something she can't control. Kaylee just wants to be normal girl dating the hottest guy in school, but how can she be when her classmates start dying.

I really liked this book. It was fast paced and a refreshing read. It was a unique concept that sucked me in quickly.

The chemistry was their between Kaylee and Nash and they were both great characters, but the stand out c
Heather
Jan 11, 2010 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Wake Trilogy
Recommended to Heather by: Melissa Marr
I picked this book up on a whim, thinking it sounded mildly entertaining and hoping I wouldn't regret spending ten bucks on an author I knew nothing about. Three and a half hours later I went back out into the cold to buy the sequel. I loved this book!

As a lover of mythology, I was somewhat familiar with Banshees’ but the lore in this book was entirely new and surprisingly entertaining. Kaylee is 16 and a bit of a wreck. Her mother died when she was three and her father has flittered in and out
Eunice
Harriet
*2.5 STARS!*

This review may turn into a bit of a rant so I will try and keep it short and hmmm not so sweet!

After reading lots of complicated and long books lately, I was looking forward to an easy read, BUT with a good storyline and a frustrating love triangle. This is what I expected this book was going to give me. Hmmm.. No, no it didn't! Boy was I wrong.

The heroine was such a dramatic FOOL, some things she said and the things she thought was happening to her.. I had to STOP and shake my he
Zemira Warner
After several months I have finally finished this book. I just checked. It's been 5 months. Okay... :/

I wanna make sweet looove with Tod. *sings like Chef*

[image error]

I love that he is a smartass,angry and rude all the time.
Howdy YAL
To see review with gifs click here

To be honest, I wasn’t expecting much with this one. Just your standard run of a mill YA paranormal (I mean, even the cover is a cliche). However, Vincent surprised me.

While this book wasn’t without it’s faults, it was oddly refreshing. Romance aside.

Yeah, I really didn’t dig the romance, but it didn’t bother me in the way where I couldn’t stand the love interest. He’s tolerable. A bit bland, but tolerable. What bothered me was that their relationship (if anythi
Alex

Fantastic book! Can't wait to read more about Tod!
Ashley Way
Pg. 36
So Nash gets major bonus points for not calling Kaylee out on her craziness from the get go, like most guys would. And what the heck is going on with her anyway?

Pg. 200
I love the bean sidhe part of this story. It's such a new element to supernatural YA. I'd never heard of any series about bean sidhes before this one, and I'm glad I picked it up.
I wish I could say that my opinion of Sophie has changed, because usually the shallow, annoying sister/cousin/whatever grows up and develops a litt
Brigid (is a massive coffee addict)
4.5 Star Review: My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

This book has been a favorite of mine since I was a teen. I love it to pieces, therefore be warned: I may be slightly biased in my review.

Things that make this novel different:

1. The book features Bean Sidhe (Banshee) from Irish folklore.
2. Parents in this book are actually very significant to the story.
3. The MC voluntarily involves her uncle into the issue instead of trying to handle it all by herself.
4. The MC actually has a spine and doe
E.V.Franzmnn E.V.Franzmnn
Reviewed on 01/02/2012

When I read the prequel My Soul To Lose I was so excited to read this series that I actually did a little squeal when I started to read this. But, let me tell you, this book is really good, but you can’t compare to the prequel, not at all.
As always I try to do my review without any spoilers, but some little secrets always escape trough the cracks. All I can say is that this will certainly not spoils the end; cose is really a great end. Really, really great. The whole book
Stacia (the 2010 club)
*note* In order to be fair, I won't be judging the love triangle upon my re-read because at the initial time I had read this book (end of 2010-ish?), I hadn't read 50 gajillion love triangle books already, so there was nothing about this situation that felt like an overdone or recycled plot. Because the series originated in early 2009, I give the books a pass for being on the early/starting end of the love triangle trend.

*original review*

My Soul to Take was a clever book. Much like my newfound f
Aa'Ishah
Karen (BookishWonders)
I’m very excited to have started reading this series, it’s fantastic and even I couldn’t put it down! I was immersed until the very last word.

Everything was very original and I really liked the fantasy and romance element. This series takes on a very unique concept that you don’t find quite often in the YA genre; developed from mythology and folklore. The writing was superb, it was very engrossing.

The characters were well developed. I liked Kaylee, she’s an awesome protagonist and so was Nash. K
Inge
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Oh look, Craig's a banshee too.

Wow. I gotta say, this book was really refreshing. The insta-love didn't even bother me, because Nash was the one who told Kaylee everything about her situation (for lack of a better word) and it wasn't very loveydovey. There's also obviously a looming love triangle but we'll get to that when we get to that. No worries. Tod's pretty cool. Even though he's, you know, dead. I can just imagine them lying in bed together when suddenly his pager of death goes off. "Sor
Anna (Reading this world)
Random tankar (ej spoilers):
1. Slutet. Wtf? Förlåt mig, men vad hände precis? Visst hade jag misstänkt att det var något som inte stämde, men att den personen låg bakom allt? Och framför allt: vad i helskotta var det för knäppt motiv hen hade? Öhh kändes väldigt, väldigt konstigt bara.
2. Jag älskade den lilla minitvisten på slutet som involverade Nash och den andra personen, jag hade verkligen inte förväntat mig det.
3. Boken utspelade sig på typ en vecka, och hela Kaylees liv vänds uppochned. Ja
Patricia BookExhibitionism
First Thoughts

Oh. Mein. Gott.
Ja, das war nicht mein eloquentester Moment gerade, aber Rachel Vincent hat es wieder geschafft. Ich werde heute noch die gesamte Serie lesen, ich schwör! ;)

Nach ihrer Shifters-Reihe, die mir wirklich das Herz gebrochen hat, konnte ich nicht sofort mit My Soul to Lose anfangen. Ambivalenz pur. (Was, wenn die nächste Reihe nicht genauso gut ist? Was wenn doch? Blabla.)

Glücklicherweise habe ich heute Vormittag mit Lesen begonnen, denn diese Serie hat Potential! Kaylee
Suzanne
This book/series has been on my reading que for about a year and a half now, and I seriously regret not reading it sooner. This isn't a light and airy ya novel, this novel feeds on the dark, dark, dark, in such a way that puts most horror movies to shame. It can be outright scary, and it's packed with mystery and suspense that will leave your mind reeling, and make you have to read a little bit further, a little bit further again.

Supported by Kaylee and Nash's blooming relationship, a strong fri
Crazy for Young A...: My Soul To Take (Soul Screamers #1) by Rachel Vincent → Start Date: January 20, 2015 5 4 12 hours, 39 min ago
ROMANCE <<<<<<<<<<<<----------- 2 13 Nov 21, 2014 06:14PM
Bookaholics Anony...: Soul Screamers 3 5 Sep 01, 2014 06:29AM
Young Adult Book ...: January 2014: My Soul To Take 2 5 Jan 30, 2014 02:48PM
tod or nash? 23 148 Nov 16, 2013 06:56AM
Paranormal Boyfri...: Soul Screamers 11 34 Nov 02, 2013 06:04AM
My Soul to Take R...: My Soul to Take Currently FREE! 2 22 May 01, 2013 02:24AM
  • Shade (Shade, #1)
  • Immortal Beloved (Immortal Beloved, #1)
  • Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)
  • Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1)
  • Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)
  • Forsaken (The Demon Trappers, #1)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • My Love Lies Bleeding (Drake Chronicles, #1)
  • Firespell (Dark Elite, #1)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)
  • Deception (Haunting Emma, #1)
  • Once a Witch (Witch, #1)
  • Die for Me (Revenants, #1)
  • The Iron Witch (The Iron Witch, #1)
  • Wondrous Strange (Wondrous Strange, #1)
  • Wildefire (Wildefire, #1)
  • A Need So Beautiful (A Need So Beautiful, #1)
[Note: Though Rachel's blog entries are cross posted here, she does not frequent Goodreads. The best ways to contact her are FB, Twitter, or her Wordpress blog. PLEASE DO NOT SEND HER MESSAGES HERE. SHE DOES NOT CHECK THEM.]

A resident of Oklahoma, Rachel Vincent has a BA in English and an overactive imagination, and consistently finds the latter to be more practical. She shares her workspace with
More about Rachel Vincent...
Stray (Shifters, #1) My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2) My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers, #3) Pride (Shifters, #3) Prey (Shifters, #4)

“My aunt and overprivileged cousin only recognize two states of being: glitter and grunge. And if you weren’t glitter, well, that only left one other option.” 118 likes
“Did he show himself?” Nash asked, and I glanced to my right to see him staring at my father, as fascinated as I was.
My dad nodded. “He was an arrogant little demon.”
“So what happened?” I asked.
“I punched him.”
For a moment, we stared at him in silence. “You punched the reaper?” I asked, and my hand fell from the strainer onto the edge of the sink.
“Yeah.” He chuckled at the memory, and his grin brought out one of my own. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d seen my father smile. “Broke his nose.”
94 likes