Start by marking “A Walk to Remember” as Want to Read:
A Walk to Remember

A Walk to Remember

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  556,267 Ratings  ·  10,914 Reviews
There was a time when the world was sweeter....when the women in Beaufort, North Carolina, wore dresses, and the men donned hats.... Every April, when the wind smells of both the sea and lilacs, Landon Carter remembers 1958, his last year at Beaufort High. Landon had dated a girl or two, and even once sworn that he'd been in love. Certainly the last person he thought he'd ...more
Published May 24th 2000 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1999)

Komal Mikaelson
Sylvia03
I like the book better than the movie.

the struggle of jamie and langdon for their love over death...sounds cliche, but i think the book is the second best romance story next to Love Story by Erich Segal.

try to read it at 2 am in the morning when all you hear is silent and you'll get into the story until you burst into tears...

i smiled.
i cried.

nice.
Blythe
Oct 18, 2011 Blythe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone! Especially people skeptical about reading Nicholas Sparks
This was my first book by Sparks, and let me tell you, it. was. perfect. It’s so hard writing reviews for books you absolutely love, and this review will not do this book justice, so just bear with me.

I was pretty unsure about this book at first, and when I was told by a friend to read a Sparks book, absolutely any of my choosing, I didn’t really want to. But, despite not wanting to read I book by him, because I was being stubborn and thought I would absolutely hate it, I went on my library’s w
AMEERA
i'll be honest i'm not huge fan of romantic books but this book was different in some way have a beautiful message and i get it
K.D. Absolutely
Sep 07, 2013 K.D. Absolutely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-story, romance
"Promise me, that you won't fall in love with me" says Jamie Sullivan to Landon Carter at the beginning of the novel. Nicholas Sparks might as well be telling me that because I picked this book based on my friend Patrick who has been insisting that this is the best Sparks. You see this is my 6th Sparks. I stopped after reading Safe Haven (2 stars) because I got tired of his Hallmark-kind of storytelling. So, I decided to give Sparks another try with a big doubt whether I would like this. This is ...more
Jasmin
♪♫♪I'll always remember
It was late afternoon
It lasted forever
And ended too soon.
CRY, Mandy Moore

The song Cry, perfectly describes A Walk To Remember. It was short, but it would definitely be etched in my cranium for forever.

Who wouldn’t know Landon Carter and Jamie Sullivan? In the movie, they were cast as Mandy Moore and Shane West.

[image error]

I remember it being a hit when I was in high school years ago. I watched the movie and loved it. I knew there was a book, but I only had a chance to
KJ
Aug 31, 2011 KJ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think Nicholas Sparks is actually a 13 year old girl named Niki Sparkles. This story was so cliche, soooo very ridiculously predictable and bland that I am beginning to think this book was just something Miss Niki wrote up in a hurry for 7th grade English. Each character was so vanilla, boring and lacking in personality that they kind of blurred into each other. The one character falls in love with the other character but I have no idea why as they have the personalities of river rocks. If Nik ...more
Casey
Sep 09, 2007 Casey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sparks fans, but no one else
Shelves: your-book-sucked
A Walk to Remember details the story of Jamie Sullivan, a preacher's daughter who seems to know everything, and Landon Carter, the boy who would never be tempted by Jamie in real life. The plot is predictable enough, even if you haven't seen the movie. I won't spoil the ending here, but it leaves quite a lot to be desired.

I wanted to like this book, since so many people I knew enjoyed it, but I ended up hating it. The material was far too idyllic in some parts, and overly sanguine in others. I c
Rollie
Oct 15, 2011 Rollie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm Rollie... and now leaping over my bounded forte?

Romance is the least among the genres that I craved to try. Instead, I stumbled upon reading this love story book. A risk indeed to read a different genre especially when it exempts among the genres you always thinks about. Thus, it doesn't just take twenty gulps to risk for it but takes time and sweat to decide the dilemma whether to give it a shot or not. Lately, I decided to widen my braced genres and I thought this book is worth the risk to
Ash Reads
Jun 11, 2012 Ash Reads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
first book of 2016 is a reread! I haven't read this book in a really long time. I forgot how short it was, it took me about an hour and a half to get through.

I still love it as much as I remember. Yes, its different than the movie, and I watched the movie first, many years ago...but the book is great, and its probably my favorite Sparks book to date.

come find me: IG: @ash.reads
Lara
Sep 30, 2016 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was my first Nicholas Sparks book and I must say that I am impressed. I wasn't expecting it to be this good. I really enjoyed A Walk to Remember. (If you watched the movie and didn't like it, you need to know that THE BOOK AND MOVIE (as usual) IS REALLY DIFFERENT). It was a short read so I fly through it in a day. If you're looking for a heart warming/breaking book to make you wanna feel the all the feels, then you should pick this one up.
Namratha
May 02, 2013 Namratha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I am not a Nicholas Sparks fan. I like my love stories with a little more pizzazz, wit and humour. I want the heroines to be headstrong and dripping with pithy comebacks. I expect the heroes to be unassuming to begin with and memorable by the time I shut the book. And most of all, I want...no, I DEMAND a happy ending. So, keeping all these requirements in mind, A Walk To Remember is not my cup of tea.

And yet, dare I use a dreadful pun? The books had it's occasional *sparks*. It helped that I r
Suraya (thesuraya)
Feb 19, 2016 Suraya (thesuraya) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tear-jerker
given that i have watched the movie multiple times before, this book is not what I expected to read. the are so many differences between both the movie and the book. the book is special but I love the movie way more. The movie meant a lot to me than the book did.
Alexxy
Dec 06, 2015 Alexxy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
'It was, I remembered thinking, the most difficult walk anyone ever had to make.
In every way, a walk to remember.'

If I was to shorten the story in one sentence, I'd say A Walk to Remember is the story of bad boy Landon falling in love with sweet and innocent Jamie.

The writing was easy and the plot wasn't too complicated. Some things were also a tad bit cliché but I don't think that anything will ever be new in romance novels anymore.

At first, Landon's character really pissed me off but he g
Jess
Oct 21, 2010 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, rereads
I fall in love with this book more and more each time I read it :) This is my favorite book and I'm glad I made it a tradition to reread it every year :)

Read for the first time: 2002? 2003?
Read for the second time: 2009?
Read for the third time: December 9, 2013
Read for the fourth time: December 3, 2014
Read for the fifth time: November 19, 2015
Read for the sixth time: December 4, 2016
Aisyah  (´。• ᵕ •。`) ♡
My first Nick Sparks book, a beautiful one too. At first I was kind of reluctant to read it since the story is set in 1958 and I thought it was going to be slow and well, boring. Boy was I wrong, this book was engaging and I feel that it's very entertaining to read the book in Landon's POV.

I particularly love the stark contrast between Landon, the bad boy gone good, and Jamie, the devout Christian girl who is everything nice on the surface and with closer inspection, a strong character whom I f
Suzanne
Aug 15, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rylee-reese, owned
Read prior to GR. I just bought this last week for my daughter, so you never know. I may re-read. Loved the movie too, the lesser known Shane West was a fave from my very most fave show ER. Sweet, innocent and hopeful. What's not to love about that?
Teresa
Jul 09, 2011 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I can't even begin to explain how wonderful this book was. Once again, Nicholas Sparks outdone himself. When I first started reading this, I didn't expect much, seeing as how it was a tragedy and I don't really care for tragedies, after the disaster with Romeo and Juliet LOL. However, there was something more to this book than other sad books I've read in my life. For one, this book touched my heart-REALLY touched my heart- and made me ask myself all these questions about love an ...more
Sandy
I only picked up this book from the library because they didn't have the specific books I was looking for in, so I walked through the aisles and randomly selected a few so the trip wasn't a waste. When I saw it on the shelf, I remembered that someone a while ago had recommended that I read it and "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks, and because books are almost always better than the movie versions, I decided to give it a shot.

I actually liked the movie when I saw it. I am a sappy girl like that s
Anne
Apr 23, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a truly beautiful and simple love story
Recommended to Anne by: Sarah - Thornton's girl
I love A Walk to Remember. Simply love it.

And I don't often say this, but the movie was better. I loved this book, and it had many wonderful elements that the movie lacked, but somehow it didn't come get me the way the movie never fails to do. I never cry at movies, as in never (ask Becca - she'll gladly give you a ready confirmation!), but A Walk to Remember usually makes me tear up a few times.

I've seen it countless times and love it so much that I thought it was finally time to give the boo
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Just saw the movie last night, now I really want to read this book. Even though I'm not into contemporaries, I'm addicted to books with sick charactes, or opposite attraction (minus Fault in our Stars). The question is do I want an ebook, or a physical copy?

NadiaN99
معصوميتي كه توي اين داستان احساس ميشه خيلي وقته از داستان هاي عاشقانه محو شده(حداقل تا جايي كه من ديدم) خوبه همچين كتابايي رو بخونيم و به خودمون ياداوري كنيم كه همه ادما -توي هر وضعيتي كه باشن- ميتونن فرصت عشق و عاشق بودن رو داشته باشن
-و گريه كنيم،خيلي گريه كنيم-
Tanbanan
Apr 02, 2008 Tanbanan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
My all time favorite Nicholas Sparks book! It was the first one that I read and remains the one I love the most!
Maede
کلیشه در داستان ها همیشه وجود داشته و مخصوصاً در رمنس از همیشه بیشتر خودش رو نشون میده. ولی کلیشه باید از جایی شروع بشه و بعضی کتاب ها کلیشه سازند، این هم یکی از اون کتاب هاست؛ با توجه به نویسنده و اینکه در 2004 چاپ شده و تعداد داستان ها و فیلم هایی که بعد از این سال با این موضوع خوندم و دیدم، البته که خودش هم کلیشه های زیادی رو استفاده کرده

عشق بین دختری بسیار خوب و فرشته وار و پسری به اصطلاح "بد". خانواده های متفاوت که از هم دل خوشی ندارند، تقابل دین دار معتقد سنتی و پولدار سیاست مدار. زندگی 19
Kyla Harris
Pace - 9/10 - fast
Ending - 10/10
86/100 = B+
4/5 stars

why are nicolous sparks endings so perfect??! he's the king at writing them. I want to cry. I did feel like there should have been more development in their relationship I felt a little bit like insta-love. I also dislike how he left out his friends and school in the second half of the book when the was a big part in the first. it felt unnatural because we didn't know wha
Maddie
Jun 11, 2008 Maddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. It is for sure one of my favorites. The book and movie are not exactly the same. Jamie's character is inspiring. She is such a good person and changes Landon's character for the better.- A miracle- This is the first book that I couldnt read at times because my eyes were filled with tears. A Walk to Remember is a fantastic, quick read that is worth your time.
Ahmad
May 30, 2015 Ahmad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautiful.
It's so heart warming and wonderfully written.
This is my first Nicholas Sparks book and it was truly wonderful.
I really enjoyed this book a lot.
Amazing❤
Bridget
Aug 08, 2008 Bridget rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hated it. First and last Sparks book for me. Tried way to hard to go for the tear jerking moments.
Yana
Apr 08, 2017 Yana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The book that introduced me to the remarkable novelist Nicholas Sparks.

A Walk to Remember whether it’s the book or the movie remained as a main stream topic throughout a decade and the reason is obvious. This book stole the hearts of a billion hopeless romantics around the world, mine included.

Recalling how the story went feels like reopening a close wound. I still remember how I sobbed my eyes out for this book. Jamie is such a beautiful person inside and out and the fact that she changed Lan
Booklover101 ♡
Aww.... What a breath of fresh air! A beautiful God-filled romance (it can't get better than that, right?). I'm an absolute SUCKER for romance books, but this book was absolutely fantastic. Having watched the movie beforehand, I had my hopes up for an even BETTER book, because aren't book versions often more amazing than movie versions? I have to humbly admit though.... the movie was better. *knocks over chair and screams* I also LOVE Mandy Moore and Shane West, so maybe that is a SLIGHT reason ...more
Which is better the movie or the book? 37 151 Apr 23, 2017 04:21PM
How do you interpret the ending? 46 1292 Apr 22, 2017 08:38AM
Did you like this better than the Notebook? 38 337 Mar 03, 2017 11:44AM
The Book Was Better: A WALK TO REMEMBER 30 121 Feb 14, 2017 03:59PM
  • Finding Noel
  • Sam's Letters to Jennifer
  • The Angels Trilogy (Angels, #1-3)
  • The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud
  • Woodlands (Glenbrooke, #7)
  • Echoes
  • Don't You Forget About Me (Gossip Girl, #11)
  • The Smoke Jumper
  • The Christmas Shoes (Christmas Hope #1)
  • Paradise (Second Opportunities, #1)
  • Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2)
  • The Last Valentine

Nicholas Sparks is one of the world’s most beloved storytellers. All of his books have been New York Times bestsellers, with over 105 million copies sold worldwide, in more than 50 languages, including over 75 million copies in the United States alone.

Sparks wrote one of his best-known stories, The Notebook, over a period of six months at age 28. It was published in 1996 and he followed with the n

More about Nicholas Sparks...

“Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it.” 21347 likes