Start by marking “What Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's Tale” as Want to Read:
What Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's Tale

What Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's Tale

When Tom Sykes landed his dream job as the New York Post's bar columnist and nightlife reporter, he turned his long-standing drinking problem into a vocation. His memoir is a funny, thrilling, and ruthlessly honest exhumation of his drinking life and a candid account of his first 90 days without alcohol

Tom traces his alcoholism back to his British boyhood at Eton College,
Published October 3rd 2006 by Rodale Books (first published September 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about What Did I Do Last Night?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Did I Do Last Night?

Michelle
Jun 15, 2017 Michelle rated it really liked it
Although I initially felt that he showed his drinking and drug use in a positive light, you quickly realize that he is spiralling out of control and there is nothing "glamorous" about it. Honest, funny and raw at times. This was a great read.
Sep 17, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What confused me about this book is how easily the main character was able to overcome his addiction. For the whole book it portrays him as a completely out of control alcoholic and drug addict, which he was - but it seems that as soon as he starts going to AA, he is able to completely leave behind his old life. That really threw me. I can't help but think that he is sugar-coating his recovery. I thought the book was going to be more about his recovery but most of it was just a chronicle of all ...more
Jim
Jul 02, 2012 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Maybe it's because I can identify with some of the alcohol-fueled endeavors mentioned in the book. Maybe it's because I can also identify with the author being a writer and therefore a frequently drunk writer like myself. Maybe it's because I can identify with the parental abandonment issues he has that may or may not have been what caused his alcoholism in the first place. Whatever the reason, I definitely enjoyed this book much more than the previous memoir that was recommended to me. Sykes wr ...more
Tamara Doherty
Nov 18, 2012 Tamara Doherty rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This book was only "unputdownable" because I was desperately trying to find something likeable about this town-terrorizing drunk/drug-addict. Sykes and his antics were deplorable, and I was horrified by how someone's humanity could be so thoroughly replaced by a chemically-induced persona. The writing is brilliant for depicting the shocking emptiness and darkness of addiction, but it was a bit disturbing for my taste.

As far as accounts of falling into your own "addiction abyss," I liked "Dry" by
Gretchen Carey
This is a highly entertaing book about self destruction. It's a good guide to night life in London and New York as well. I want to go to some of these places he describes one day! It's sad that he almost looses everything because of his problems, but I feel like he is a good character to relate to. His problems could easily happen to any normal human being. His first few chapters about Eaton are interesting too and only further promote my idea that if you put too much restriction on kids they're ...more
Tim Corke
An easy read that follows the life of Tom as he boozes it up at university into a alcohol fuelled lifestyle as a reporter and journalist in London and New York. It's an amazing existence and makes you wonder how someone could maintain it for so long. It's written as almost a therapeutic reminisce and in places it's funny, sad, pretentious and incredulous and shocking.

It'll make you think and consequently also allow you to appreciate the occasional bottle of wine!
John
Dec 27, 2007 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those seeking a light read
This book started out alright with some funny stories about one person's excessive drinking. But soon, after hearing the same story night after night, it got old and I ended up disliking the storyteller wondering why he couldn't just get his life together. By the end he got it together but it could not make up for the rest of the book.
Joy
Jul 18, 2007 Joy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: drunks
sent to me for early review by the author, who is deliciously british and one of ny's socially prominent sykes clan. book really struck a cord with me, as i'm a weekly bar reviewer like sykes, though hardly of the page six caliber. he did a good job of humanizing the whole columnist lifestyle and was spot-on about how easy it is for the whole thing to spiral out of control--and into alcoholism.
Lauren
Apr 06, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it
A good story of how one becomes an alcoholic and how one can realize they're an alcoholic. I liked the scenes of NY described especially being from a former NY Post page 6 editor. If you had bad experiences with alcoholic family members, you should skip this.
Eva Evangelisious
Dec 23, 2014 Eva Evangelisious rated it it was amazing
The authors has his own perception of alcohol that makes you actually relate your self with him and sympathize him. It can be witty and funny at the same time, helps you distract from your own problems.
Justin
I would actually give this 3.5 stars. The book was written rather well and certainly kept my attention throughout. I guess I was hoping for more of a redemption-type story. If that's not really why you would read a book like this, then you would probably really enjoy this book.
Tobey
Oct 20, 2007 Tobey rated it really liked it
Shelves: drunkbooks
probably one of the most interesting "drunkbooks" I've read so far. Plum Sykes' brother, a former Etonian and NY Post writer, drinks too much and tries to figure out why and what he did last night. Features some Ozzy Osbourne in the mix
Emily
Jan 11, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Amusing, light read.
Rebecca
Oct 23, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Crazy life!!! Very interesting and entertaining.
Stella
Nov 23, 2009 Stella rated it liked it
funny drunken tales that made me feel better about my own college alcoholism, yet sad that this guy manages to keep a significant other.
Isabel
Jan 30, 2009 Isabel rated it it was amazing
Funny, sad and very readable.
Danielle Moore
Feb 16, 2012 Danielle Moore rated it liked it
Shelves: bio-memoir
"A hangover is the physical expression of despair."
Becky
Aug 05, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good tales of excess. The rehab bit seemed a bit easy though...

Hanna
Sep 02, 2010 Hanna rated it really liked it
So much more believable than James Frey. Sykes writes with brutal honesty that doesn't come off boastful like Frey. I'm never moving to New York. I would not survive.
Toby Bulloff
Jul 11, 2007 Toby Bulloff rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: beach readers
occasionally funny comments about party life in NYC
Gillian
Feb 04, 2008 Gillian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real eye opener. So open and truthful. Its amazing given the quantities of drugs and alcohol that he could remember enough to write this. Highly recommended.
Kate (VerbVixen)
Kate (VerbVixen) rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2011
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2013
J.
J. rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2011
Barbara Mckeague
Barbara Mckeague rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2007
Drew
Drew rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2008
Jeannie
Jeannie rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2016
Lisa Ramirez
Lisa Ramirez rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Aileen
Aileen rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Lonna Cottrell-Thompson
Lonna Cottrell-Thompson rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • East Wind Melts the Ice: A Memoir through the Seasons
  • Love Always, Petra: A Story of Courage and the Discovery of Life's Hidden Gifts
  • The Battersea Park Road to Paradise
  • Krishnamurtis Notebook
  • Meeting Mr Kim: Or How I Went to Korea and Learned to Love Kimchi
  • See Naples and Die
  • Gimme Shelter
  • The Herbal Drugstore: The Best Natural Alternatives to Over-The-Counter and Prescription Medicines!
  • Butter Tea at Sunrise: A Year in the Bhutan Himalaya
  • Bill Bryson Collector's Edition: Notes from a Small Island / Neither Here Nor There / I'm a Stranger Here Myself
  • Autobiography of Anthony Trollope
  • Living Yoga: Creating a Life Practice
  • Nerd Girl Rocks Paradise City: A True Story of Faking It in Hair Metal L.A.
  • Bones of the Master: A Journey to Secret Mongolia
  • The Greedy Bastard Diary: A Comic Tour of America
  • The New Astrology: A Unique Synthesis Of The World's Two Great Astrological Systems: The Chinese & Western
  • Breakfast with Tiffany: An Uncle's Memoir
  • Crisis, Pursued by Disaster, Followed Closely by Catastrophe: A Memoir of Life on the Run