Start by marking “A Rogue of My Own” as Want to Read:
A Rogue of My Own

A Rogue of My Own (Reid Family #3)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  3,910 ratings  ·  219 reviews
In #1 New York Times bestselling author Johanna Lindsey’s captivating regency romance, an innocent young lady’s first brush with royal court intrigue lands her at the altar alongside one of London’s most notorious rogues.

For Lady Rebecca Marshall, a whirlwind of excitement begins when she becomes a maid of honor at the court of Queen Victoria.
Published June 16th 2009 by Pocket Books (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Rogue of My Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rogue of My Own

Lov'em
I can't give this book more than one star for three main reasons:

1. 2/3 of the way into the book I'd yet to find any reason why these two shouldn't just walk away and forget the other existed. They argued and tried to spite each other through most of the book. And yet at the end the reader is suppose to believe that suddenly all is forgotten and they live HEA.

2. I couldn't stand the female lead. She was so annoying and whiny.

3. If I find myself laughing my butt off during an intimate scene and r
Diana
Really, this book should be called "A Rogue! Of My Own!" ! !!!! (JL loves her some exclamations. DC prefers to not see them).

I keep doing this. I pick up a JL book, thinking it sounds interesting. And it always does. And then I read it. And it stops being interesting after the first chapter. Even worse is when I'm re-reading a JL book because I didn't recognize it at first. Clearly, she has staying power in my mind.

This book was full of "you're lying to me because I'm a spy and I can't trust an
Rosanne
Lots of "!!!!!" in this book. Was a bit off-setting. The characters were likable. But the "love" aspect hardly believable. More like both parties just found each other sexy. Therefore they wanted sex. Overall somewhat flat.
Kasey
While I liked this story and the characters I was a little disappointed with Lindsey in this book. There was some use of language so obviously out of that time frame that I actually had to pause and think about what I was reading. I wouldn't necessarily expect perfection in language, but the use of current slang for something set in this time frame is outrageous. Besides that the story was off to a good start. I still thought I was going to like it more. I actually liked both Becca and Rupert. T ...more
Caroline
A crudely stitched patchwork of mismatched pieces.

The arrival of Rebecca Marshall at Buckingham Palace as a new maid of honor and the details of personal and political intrigues at the court of Queen Victoria were refreshingly different, but as the narrative rushed nowhere and finally disintegrated, I was left wondering about the authenticity of the historical detail.

First impressions of Rebecca are of a beautiful, intelligent, and self-assured lady, sparking anticipation of her part in the sto
Imaginarybee
Did not Like this one at all, and I am A HUGE fan of Her Work. To me this one Had too many negatives for me to Even attempt to read it all the way through. I made it half way through if that...and that was Pushing it.
The Main Male Character Was Extremely Unlikable IMO. One of his first encounters With the Main Female, he grabs her breasts. Big turn off, and he was Way to Cocky and full of himself for me to even attempt to like him.
The Female in the book seemed Like she was mentally too young. Sc
Dione Sage
This is the first Johanna Lindsey book I have read. I wasn't disappointed in 'A Rogue of My Own' although the spy scenes in my opinion were a little lacking in thrill and adventure but I suppose that is a bit much to expect from a historical romance novel or at least the ones I have read. In my opinion a great historical romance fiction novel is made great by a few factors. One the characters must be charming. I believe the characters in this book were pretty likable up until the end where I fel ...more
Joan
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Aug 22, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance
Shelves: romance, read-in-2010
The Lindsey formula has been varied a bit for this one, but it's still very good. The Victorian era setting made a nice change from all the Regency historicals we've been bombarded with.

This is a book of assumptions, miscommunications, and not getting a message through because of turning emotional ... on the part of both protagonists. I found the villain of the final scene to be contrived, the book would have worked well without that.

One thing that bothered me is that the heroine has a lot of sp
Melissa Andrews
After I finished this book I was really upset that I'd bought it and not Menonnite in a Black Dress or A Good Indian Wife or one of the other books I perused while waiting for a delayed plane.

The characters annoyed me - everything worked out too easily at the end, and it was just flat. I think I've read other Lindsey books and may have enjoyed them, but this one didn't do it for me. That's what I get for not getting to the library before traveling and being forced to buy something in the airport
Jonel Boyko (Pure Jonel)
What a delightful tale! Lindsey works so many different elements into this story that she keeps her readers on the tip of their toes. She weaves a captivating tale amidst the hustle and bustle of court life, complete with intrigue and rogues, while painting a brilliant picture of life at the time.

I absolutely fell in love with the main characters in this novel. Not only were they well developed and likeable individually, but put them together and the sparks fly. The simultaneous clashing and mes
Karen
Jan 11, 2011 Karen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
My "escape" reading, which is total smut, is Johanna Lindsay--romance novels. I actually own every novel she's written and have reread most of them. There's my dirty little secret!

Good point! I feel like a quitter if I don't finish a book that I've started, which is kinda weird.

Some that I've loved lately: "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer and "Freakonomics" I've read twice. Really enjoyed "The Help" and "Cane River" by Lalita Tademy.

Did not care for "The Red Tent" at all. One that
Heather
i feel wrong even givin this 2stars.
why dont u just tell us everything that happens n the book while ur at it? i mean,cud u possibly get a more revealing description? wut surprises cud we possibly have wen we know the whole storyline?
modern things-
out with the old,in w/the new.snub.commode stand.smidgen.i beg2differ.all thumbs.scatterbrained. cart my clothes all over the place.primping. dumbstruck.awestruck.hounded him.backfire. wiry build.
she also uses completely modern expressions like "i swea
Jupiterl79
I WANT MY DAMN MONEY BACK! THATS'S ALL I CAN SAY! THIS BOOK IS ONE OF THE WORST BOOK I'VE EVER READ IN MY LIFE! I'VE READ A LOT OF BAD BOOK BUT THE ENDING ALWAYS SATISFY ME IN SOME WAY BUT THE BOOK IS BAD TO THE END! I DON'T EVEN WANT TO GIVE THIS BOOK A STAR. IF I COULD, I WANT TO GIVE IT A MINUS 5 STARS! THERE WAS NO LOVE ANYWHERE! REBECCA IS STUPID THROUGH OUT THE BOOK! SHE KEEPS FALLING BACK FOR RUBERT REGARDLESS OF HOW MEAN RUBERT WAS TO HER! AND THEN SHE FORGAVE HIM LIKE IT WAS NOTHING?!!! ...more
Galena Sanz
Esta novela estuvo mejor de lo que esperaba, me entretuvo pero la verdad es que no fue más allá. Tanto la trama como los personajes son sencillos, sin ninguna complejidad y no es una historia que cale en el lector, así que se postula en mi listado de lecturas como un libro entretenido y poco más.
Sandy
Here is my review of "A Rogue of My Own", written in the author's own style:

"Rebecca is a newly appointed maid of honor in the court of Queen Victoria. She gets caught up in a thinly-constructed ring of spying in the court with a guy who is so beautiful she calls him The Angel! So they sleep together, and she ends up pregnant, but he doesn't believe her so he treats her like a whore who's trying to trick him into marriage. But the hilarious thing is, they do get engaged, and he still hates her!
Alease
This was my first Johanna Lindsey book. I read it in a day, it was a good guilty pleasure. It is nice to have a book that doesn't work your brain too much and just let you relish in a romance. I'm not usually a romance reader, this is my first one but I'm sure I'll look into another of her books. I liked that the characters tried to fight their feelings for one another and bickered. It gave it just enough reality, because isn't that what most people do when they fall in love, try to pretend that ...more
Lourdes
Ok…so I love all these books. I read this in no time – it is lite and entertaining. I do have to admit though that I was a little disappointed. The book starts off okay, with a lot of detail. A lot of talk about the political parties of the time, but then it goes nowhere with it. It feels like it wants to be way more than it is. It gives you a lot at the beginning and then you hit a wall. The focus shifts completely and all the potential is lost. So much could have been done with the secondary c ...more
rivka

I do not understand how someone gets to be as popular an author as this one is without the ability to do proper historical research (the royal pregnancy would imply 1841, but other data presented contradicts that quite sharply); to use appropriate language (seriously, Victorian characters did NOT say "guess what!" or "whom did he think he was kidding?"); to manage to have plots that made sense -- at least by the time the book ended; and characters that were believable, likable, and thre
Crisel Blenda
Description

I never thought that it would be an interesting romance story. It was very entertaining. It was a page turner. Every chapter is exciting. After reading the book, you will be left with a thirst for more.

This may be just an ordinary historical romance novel, but the way it was written and told is very entertaining. Reading it, is worth it.

Plot

The story is very typical. However, the authenticity of the historical facts incorporated in the story is commendable. Lindsey was able to success
Yola NY
kesel banget bacanya. apalagi sama karakter rupert dan rebecca. ckckck, awalnya mereka ketemu pas momen yg gak asik banget sih, trus sjk itu mulai deh saling curiga masing2. nah si rebecca pas tengah2 buku udah mulai ngalah lah, eh nyatanya si rupert masih jugaaa negatif thingking ke rebecca. ckckckck, teteeep sampai 7/8 buku nih masih kesel abis ama rupert. huh!
Pamela(AllHoney)
Johanna Lindsey is and has been for many years one of my favorite authors. While I agree some of her more recent work isn't quite as good as some of her earlier work I still enjoy it. This story set a nice pace, balancing the romance with a touch of intrigue and humor. My main complaint with this story was the short ending and then no epilogue.
Pam
The story started a bit slow but once the h starts helping Ruepert the sparks fly!
I became irritated with the H because he refused to believe the h about something. Because of his unbelief he would be very sarcastic and mean (verbally). I just wanted to smack him! He does eventually believe her and they get their HEA.
Marie
Bintang 3
Reid Family #3.

Agak sebel dan keki dengan tokoh Rupert yg punya rasa percaya diri yg tinggi dan kesombongan menyangkut urusan perempuan. Mengira hal yg paling buruk yg tak diinginkannya saat Rebecca datang padanya dengan berita kehamilan. Padahal Rebecca tak terbersit sedikitpun untuk memaksa Rupert untuk menikahinya.

Rebecca Marshal harus mengubur impian masa kecil dan juga impian ibunya Lili untuk menikahi tetangganya Raphael Locke dan masuk kedalam keluarga Duke of Norford ketika Raph
Megumi
El principal atractivo para mí de este libro era que estaba situado en la época Victoriana, en vez de en la Regencia, pero conforme iba leyendo, el entusiasmo se me fue apagando, porque la verdad es que, quitando algunas escenas situadas en palacio, no se ve apenas diferencia entre una y otra.

La trama general me ha recordado bastante a "Amable y Tirano", de la misma autora: (view spoiler)
Rebekah
Ms. Lindsey I have enjoyed your books in the past and will enjoy them in the future. But please I beg you, brush up on your basic grammar skills. The constantly misused explanation points are wearing.
Melanie♥
Like her older stories so much better. There was no connection to the characters, the story line seemed old, just a miss for me.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Rebecca gets to be a maid-of-honor for Queen Victoria at the palace, she's happy to be there but is sad to be away from her mother for the very first time. Sucked into a world of spying, lies, and secrets she meets Rupert while searching for clues to her first assignment in intrigue, and he knows she's new to this work and has a quick wit. Passion combusts with them and she gives him her virginity. He is a rake who makes the rounds and has no problem lying when he needs to. Because of his cynici ...more
Alexa
Reviewed on Alexa Loves Books
JOHANNA LINDSEY is certainly not a romance author that I have a lot of experience with, but because my mom does, I decided to give her a try while I had her books at my disposal. A ROGUE OF MY OWN elicits a similar reaction as the book I reviewed yesterday - it's fun to read and it's got a really cute romance!

The Characters

Rebecca Marshall may have an air of innocence and elegance around her, but she's also smart and funny to boot. I enjoyed reading about her escapad
Marticles
I have never liked a romance novel hero less than I liked Rupert. He was arrogant, judgmental, crude, and willfully obtuse. The only times he's remotely kind to Rebecca is when he's coming on to her, but then he turns it around and accuses her of trying to seduce him. I'm not quite done with the book yet, but I have not yet seen a reason that he deserves redemption. And Rebecca. Oh, honey. Please don't tell me you're going to let Rupert walk all over you and then forgive him in a heartbeat becau ...more
  • Highland Scandal (The Scandalous Series #2)
  • Mastered By Love (Bastion Club, #8)
  • Shadow Music (Highlands' Lairds, #3)
  • The Ideal Wife (Stapleton-Downes, #1)
  • A Husband's Wicked Ways (Cavendish Square, #3)
  • Don't Bargain with the Devil (School for Heiresses, #5)
  • Highland Rogue, London Miss
  • Bride of a Wicked Scotsman (McBride Family, #3)
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom
More about Johanna Lindsey...
Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3) Prisoner of My Desire Love Only Once (Malory-Anderson Family, #1) Tender Rebel (Malory-Anderson Family, #2) The Magic of You (Malory-Anderson Family, #4)

“Anytime,anywhere,ask,and I am yours.” 14 likes
“I never thought I’d say I’m so very glad you’re a rogue instead of an angel. But I suppose it’s all right as long as you’re my rogue

- Rebecca -”