The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6)

The Immortal Highlander (Highlander #6)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  21,239 ratings  ·  825 reviews
Enter a world of timeless seduction, of ancient intrigue and modern-day passion. Enter the dazzling world of Karen Marie Moning, whose acclaimed Highlander novels have captivated readers, spanning the continents and the centuries, bringing ancient Scotland vividly to life. In a new novel brimming with time-travel adventure and sensual heat, the nationally bestselling autho...more
Published August 3rd 2004 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Immortal Highlander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Immortal Highlander

Dina
Damn, it's good to be Adam Black - sorry, I couldn't resist, LOL - but I bet it's better to be Adam Black's lover!

Adam is one of those heroes you just love to hate - or hate to love, either way works for me. He was selfish, arrogant, manipulative and didn't have any qualms about using anyone and anything to his own advantage. He was also as handome and sexy as one can be, which only helped him to get what he wanted. BUT there was something beneath all that, something that shouldn't be there cons...more
Tatiana
So, I was trying to ease my Fever withdrawal pains by reading one of Moning's Highlander romances. Pretty much had to drop it after 15 minutes of listening to it. I should have known it wouldn't work for me after hearing this, right at the beginning:

Adam Black:

Tuatha De Danaan, a rogue even among his own kind. His favored glamour is that of an intensely sexual Highland blacksmith with a powerful rippling body, golden skin, long black hair, mesmerizing eyes. Highly intelligent, lethally seductive
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
Huge 5+ stars

Wow! Just Wow! I adore this book. Adore it! By far my favorite of the series.

Adam Black *dreamy sigh* is an immortal dark Fae prince with an abundance of mischievousness, arrogance, dangerous unpredictability, and a devilish insatiable sexuality. He's the ultimate seducer. The story begins with Adam being punished by the Faery Queen (who adores him, of course) for his repeated interference with his "toy" humans. She strips him of his immortality and makes him invisible to all aroun...more
~J~ Riverina Romantics
4.75 Stars

Adam Black has been the only constant character through out this series and to be honest although he is drop dead gorgeous (and I would never ever kick him out of bed given the chance) I didn't think I would like his book all too much because he has always been such an arrogant tool.

But *hangs head in shame* I should have had more faith in Karen Marie Moning - she has never disappointed me before.

To be honest I would probably say this was my favourite book in the series (although I ha...more
Karla

5 Swoonworthy Stars!! I am Given. My soul is yours Adam Black! Another fantastic installment in this series, this one rounding out not only Adam’s story, but the MacKeltars too!!

Poor Adam is being punished for doing something good, but because of his meddling in the human world, he’s been rendered powerless in his own. The prince is no more; he’s just a mere mortal wandering aimlessly unbeknownst even to his own kind. That is until he crosses paths with Gabrielle O'Callaghan who has a gift, or...more
Blacky *Romance Addict*
The Immortal Highlander was another 5+ instalment from the Highlander series :) Karen Marie Moning just keeps getting better and better with every book :)

I've read the first one and didn't like it much, but in a way I'm glad because Adam Black first appeared in that one :) Although, I have to say, he was pretty bad in the beginning, I would never have thought he'd get his own book, he was like the bad guy :O But boy am I glad he did <3

In the previous book Adam sacrifices a part of his life fo...more
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
SEE THIS REVIEW AT http://samsawesomness.blogspot.com/20... AND THEN BECOME A FOLLOWER!!

Damn, its good to be me.
- Adam Black, on being Adam Black

Adam Black is a Tuatha De’Danaan, rouge even among his own kind. His favoured glamour is that of an intensely sexual Highland blacksmith with a powerful rippling body, golden skin, long black hair, and dark, mesmerizing eyes. Highly intelligent and lethally seductive. Alleged to have nearly broken The Compact on not one, but two occasions. He is, by fa...more
Dee
I can't believe that I had never read a KMM book before I started this series....I must have been on another planet ;)

This was another fantastic addition to the Highlander series. I did drool and swoon over Adam but not quite as much as I did with Drustan & Dageus. I loved meeting up with Drustan & Gwen and Degeus & Chloe again and see how they are getting on.

KMM sure knows how to tell a good story and get us drooling over the sexy men, she even includes strong and fabulous heroines...more
Wendy
Adam Black, is part of the Tuatha De Danaan who are an advanced race of immortals. They are also known as Faes or fairies, but Adam is no Tinkerbell. He's arrogant, unpredictable, unbelievably sexy and can seduce anyone that carries the X chromosome.

"He had a come-and-get-me-baby-I'm-pure-trouble-and-you're-gonna-love-it kind of attitude."

He's so sexy, he makes me want to growl, GRRRRRRR! ;)

Aiobheal the Queen of the Tuatha De's punishes Adam for his interference in the world of mortals. She stri...more
Vika aka ♔ of GIF & Grumpy Smut-ateer *P/T Freebie Fairy

There should be a vaccine against Adam Black. And all women should be given it at birth.

Photobucket

If I swoon any further from this series I would just melt into the floor/pavement/W.E. Although I didn't get enough of my favorite Kilt wearers, but what I did get was Adam Black and this dole been approved.

Story resumes shortly before the events of The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5) by Karen Marie Moning end. Adam is paying the price for challenging the Queen in front of the court, by being made "human" (with all the human cravings and needs) and placed in...more
Kinsey
5+++ IMMORTAL STARS!!!!

"But, second and most important, Gabby,she'd said softly,the question you must ask yourself isn't, will you get a Happily-Ever-After? The question you need to ask yourself is, will you be able to live with yourself if you don't let yourself have a happy-now, and
end up having had nothing at all?

You were firing questions at me today, trying to get inside my head.
You asked if I believed in God.
I told you of course I do- I've always had a strong sense of self.

Your house is
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Stripped from his Fae powers and forced to live in the human world, Adam Black has never felt so vulnerable in his entire existence. With only the ability to sift in short distances and invisible to all humans and fae alike, his punishment from Aoibheal is one of pure torture. It isn’t until he realizes that only one other person can see him that he has some hope to become the immortal once again.

Gabrielle O’Callaghan is a woman who possesses a rare ability to see both realms: mortal and Faery....more
AH
"I'm going to spend some time with a highlander," I announce to my husband as I try to find a quiet place to read in a house with 3 loud boys and a cat...I watch my husband raise his eyebrows, then here comes the eyeroll...but I just don't care. There is something about this series that calls to me.

And I can't tell you why. The books are basically formulaic --
(1)Our heroine is a virgin.
(2)Our hero is gorgeous, sexy, large, and well endowed.
(3)There is travel either to or from to Scotland or bot...more
Liv
Jun 22, 2011 Liv rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: pnr
I am getting tired of giving a rating in between stars - I am giving this one a 2.5 stars, because similar to the Dark Highlander (this book's predecessor in the series), I thought it was more than okay but I didn't feel that I "liked" it all that much.

I was very happy that Adam Black finally got a story of his own. I thought Gabrielle (or Gabby for short) was well-matched for him. In this book, we even got to see more of Drustan & Gwen, Dageus & Chloe (both couples from previous two nov...more
yoksan
ETA (after finished): I was *this* close to being convinced that I should change it to two stars, but then the ending. It slew me. So back to one star, it is.

I'm not sure what this book was trying to tell me. Except that the main characters are hot (not in my standards, unfortunately) and they have to have lots of sex? And go about things all illogical-like? And that erm... (view spoiler)...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
3.5 stars. I loved that this book really felt like an extension of the Fever series! Bringing Drustan and and Dageus back and tying Christian's family to Adam was genius! If you only have time to read one Highlander book before the release of Shadowfever, this is the one! There is so much crossover Fever goodness in this one. Although, I'd really say to start at book 4 and get caught up with Drustan and Dageus first before getting to Adam's story if you have the time.

Adam Black's story gives me...more
Nisha
I'm not exactly sure why I've been avoiding to write a review for this book. Possibly because it feels so final that I've completed Adam Black's book. Anyway, this is one of those really good books that deserves a sparkling review, so here goes:

The book starts with our very favorite hero, Adam Black. Yes, the Fae who has meddled with countless human lives during the earlier books and is exceedingly arrogant under both Fae and human parameters. Anyway, he's an odd duck among the Fae since he actu...more
Nicole
Oh god, so I'm still a little embarrassed about my love of these books since they were my first taste of a romance series. But if I'm being honest with myself, if KMM writes 50 of these, I'll happily devour them and get all giddy at the predictable, soulmate/eternal-love-finally-found conclusion. I keep telling myself it's because these are tie-ins to the fever series, but I think I'm just one of those suckers for a HEA and I can live with that. I am however, a little over all the sexifying and...more
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
OOOOoooo! This series is the best highlander series I have EVER READ! I am so sad and disappointed that she has decided not to add on to this! I want one for my own! MMmm Mmmmm Mmmmmm! I just can't get enough of this family! HOT STEAMY & A great mystery, curses & a twist of paranormal whether it be fae berserker or time travel, I love them all!
Kellie G.
Wow, wow, wow!!! This was another fantastic book (loved the 2 previous ones) in this series! Adam is scrumptious, wickedly naughty and dead sexy!! Fantastic epilogue, so perfect!
Jen (Red Hot Books)
This a great book for many reasons. It's a fun romance on its surface, but it's also a treasure trove of Easter Eggs for fans of both the Highlander and Fever series.

Adam Black is our male lead. As a member of the Seelie (Light) Fae Court, he's got a tie in to just about every one of the previous Highlander books. But in the last installment, The Dark Highlander, he pushed the Fae Queen too far, when he advocated for the life of Highlander Dageus MacKeltar. As punishment for his insolence, she...more
Alexis
I made an account on this website specifically so I could rave about how much I loved this book. It was genius. The ending- I cant even( <3).

I have to admit, I (foolishly and unintentionally) continue to underestimate Karen Marie Moning. After I read her first few highlader books and what was available of the fever series, I thought- alright, okay,she's pretty good. I know i'll have a few heart wrenching moments and it'll have a cute ending.... But after I finished Shadowfever, I was complete...more
AnnaLund
Adam Black. Nuff said. This book took us all on a brilliant tour of magicke, fairies and love. The cherry-popping galore in Scotland continues, with a rumble and a boom.

Adam Black is finally explained to us. The enigma that he is, is finally out in the open. And I love how he rewrites Gabby's book about him. Brilliance. The end had me in tears screaming my agony.

Now, I would like to know why men all over the world are not walking around with waist-length, silky, black-as-sin hair? Because that...more
Danny
This one was the funniest form all of them. And the most important for the Faefever addicted... For his interference with the Keltar's in the last book ( book 5) Adam Black is punished and send to the human world as - human!*snorts* Really, when the other Highlanders were Sex on Legs, Adam Black is their god - *swoooooon* Combine the beauty of Fae with the sex of a Highland warrior, add a good sense of humor and you have Adam Black ! The end is heartbreakingly beautiful, this I can assure you!

W...more
Jen
I am going to bump this book up to 5 stars after my reread.

The first quarter of the book was still kind of ho hum... I am Adam Black and all that mess. But then when Darroc and the Hunters show up it really gets swinging. I think the reason I liked this so much this time was because I could see how things were being arranged to fit with what happened in the Fever series. I found it very fascinating to see the plotline fall into place.

I liked that we got to see Drustan and Daegus. And although La...more
Heather
I must be going thru a smut phase, and Karen Marie Moning is a reliable source. Make no mistake, the Highlader does not in any way compare to her Fever series; however, it provides a satisfying read and you can easily delve into the world without having read the other books within the series.

If you can look past the insta-devotion, survival instincts being construed as "fiery passion few possess" and the fact that our hunk has chosen a Highland Blacksmith as his chosen form (random much?), you s...more
Sultan * Baby Mama Smut-a-teer*
There really are no words to describe how truly amazing Adam Black is. He loved his soul mate with such passion and heart that it just made me glow all golden for those two!! This was a little different story line for this series. Yes, there were highlanders, yes they went to Scotland, and yes there was magic. But, there was so much more too. This must of been the book that made KMM develop the fever world, because boy was there a lot of references to things you learn about in the fever series....more
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)

This has to be my favourite Highlander book in the series. I loved how she expanded Adam Black's character and how he developed from the devilish Fae prince to a man willing to give up immortality for love. And more Drustan and Daegus wasn't bad either.

As a big Fever series fan, it gave greater insight into the MacKeltars role and you could see how KMM was starting to develop ideas which so brilliantly came to fruition in her next series.
Kaleigha
In every really good series of books, there is a him. He. A little bit bad, a little bit good, and a whole lot hot. That is Adam Black in the Highlander series. The few, brief appearances he has made over the course of the series were memorable, and always left me wanting more. The problem with such a character is that it is hard to have a story that does him justice...everyone has an opinion/belief/demand about how his very own story should go, and that is hard to live up to. I am very glad to...more
  • The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3)
  • Highland Guardian (Daughters of the Glen, #2)
  • Only With a Highlander (Highlander, #5)
  • Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #2)
  • Wicked Highlander (Dark Sword, #3)
  • Dark Rival (Masters of Time, #2)
  • Highland Destiny (Magic of the Highlands, #1)
  • Tapestry (Were-Hunter, #0.5; Highlander, #8; De Piaget, #10)
Karen Marie Moning (rhymes with 'awning') is a # 1 New York Times bestselling author of 15 novels, including the RITA award-winning Highlander novels and the internationally bestselling urban fantasy "Fever" series. Her books have been published in nearly 40 languages, and her events draw fans from all over the world.

Moning graduated from Purdue University with a Bachelor's degree in Society and...more
More about Karen Marie Moning...
Darkfever (Fever, #1) Shadowfever (Fever, #5) Dreamfever (Fever, #4) Faefever (Fever, #3) Bloodfever (Fever, #2)

“Tell them, Gabrielle,” Adam urged impatiently.
Blinking, Gabby nodded. “I have one of the, er… fairies here with me –”
“Tuatha Dé,” Adam corrected irritably. “You’re bloody well making me sound like Tinkerbell.”
56 likes
“Holy cow,” Chloe said faintly.
“No kidding,” Gwen breathed.
The sexy Fae prince flashed them a smile that was pure devilish charm, sexy and playful and mischievous, briefly catching the tip of his tongue between white teeth, before his lip curved, dark eyes sparkling gold.
Gabby groaned. She choked on it hastily, camouflaging it with a dry little cough. Her own private stash of eye candy had just been made available for public consumption and she didn’t like it one bit.
Apparently she wasn’t the only one.
“Are you thinking what I’m thinking, Dageus?” Drustan said irritably.
“Och, aye,” Dageus said darkly. “You liked him better invisible too?”
“Och, aye.”
“Should I curse him again?”
“Och, aye.”
Adam threw back his head and laughed, eyes sparkling with gold fire. “Bloody hell, it’s good to be back,” he purred.”
52 likes