Start by marking “A Bad Case of Stripes” as Want to Read:
A Bad Case of Stripes

David Shannon

A Bad Case of Stripes

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  51,905 Ratings  ·  1,515 Reviews
"What we have here is a bad case of stripes. One of the worst I've ever seen!"

Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she never eats them. Why? Because the other kids in her school don't like them. And Camilla Cream is very, very worried about what other people think of her. In fact, she's so worried that she's about to break out in...a bad case of stripes!

Shannon's story is a
Library Binding
Published January 28th 1998 by Perma-Bound Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Bad Case of Stripes, please sign up.

Hannah Rose On Goodreads you can't read the books. But, you can write reviews, rate books, and keep track of what you're reading!

Ronyell
Stripes

“A Bad Case of Stripes” is a story about how peer pressure literally can affect a person. David Shannon, author of the popular “David” series, has created a surreal yet enchanting tale that will gain attention from both kids and adults.

“A Bad Case of Stripes” has one of the most creative illustrations I have ever seen. David Shannon takes care in making each character as colorful as they can be and masterfully illustrates Camilla’s odd situation by adding vivid colors to each transformation that
Rebecca
Oct 10, 2012 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter is in 1st grade (age 6) and is TERRIFIED of this book. I realize it is very, very popular but my daughter has a great imagination and now she is very scared of eating orange, green, and blue foods. She pretty much only eats pink/red and white foods now.

We got this book as a gift from my father when she was 4 and it scared her. We asked her preschool class to put it behind other books so she wouldn't see it in the book area (if she did see it, she wouldn't go near it). In kindergarte
midnightfaerie
Jun 28, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
What an absolutely wonderful book! Such an original idea that teaches such a simple lesson! And the illustrations were so detailed! This is definitely one I'll be adding to our library when I get the chance. Probably a level 3 or 4 reading level at least, but something a parent would enjoy reading to a kid of any age. Camilla is scared what people will think of her on her first day of school, but it turns out she doesn't need to worry because she comes down with a case of the stripes, her whole ...more
Lisa
Jan 07, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Very cute and colorful read. My five year old daughter really enjoyed this one.
Julia
Jul 14, 2015 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, childrens, 2015
Wow. The artwork for this is really nice, but the message is what really struck me as amazing. The story is basically about how conformity destroys your individuality. In simpler terms, not doing something you really love because everyone thinks it's weird (like eating lima beans) turns you into something you're not (like a striped girl with a tail and tree trunk legs). Such a great story.
Jorie Turner
Dec 02, 2007 Jorie Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades k-4
Shelves: picture-book, fiction
Summary: Camilla Cream likes lima beans, but when she gets made fun of for liking them, she gets embarrassed and tells her family that she no longer wants to eat them. She then breaks out with stripes. The doctors however cannot find anything wrong with her so her mother still makes her go to school. Camilla’s classmates discover that whenever they yell out colors or designs she turns into whatever they have yelled out. Camilla discovers the only cure to actually eat what others make fun of her ...more
Lisa Vegan
Aug 22, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all early elementary school kids and older preschoolers
This is a fun and colorful, very colorful!, book with a great message about not being afraid to be true to yourself and not caring so much about what other people think of you. It uses humor in a way that’s fun for kids, and the moral is clear but doesn’t overpower the story. The story seemed to end slightly too abruptly to me, but overall it was very enjoyable.
Natalie
Oct 15, 2013 Natalie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Natalie by: teacher
I know that this is popular and I get what the book is trying to say about not worrying about what other people think, but I was freaking terrified of this book when I was a kid. In fact, I'm still creeped out to this day. The visuals and some of the stuff that happened to the main character was just terrifying.

It's not a bad book, it really isn't, but it scared the crap out of me and I will not go anywhere NEAR that book. So a big round of applause to you who love this book, cuz I sure as hell
Agne
Shannon's illustrations are BEAUTIFUL. Just look at that detail and colors!

Also, the message is simple but powerful: stay true to yourself. If I ever had a motto, that probably would be it, haha!

Interestingly, Camilla Cream's stripes on the front cover (as well as the six colors on the back cover) look a lot like an LGBT pride flag (though the order of the colors is slightly different), which adds a significant layer of meaning to the book's message :)
Selwa
Maybe you need to be a child or a parent to appreciate this book. Maybe I didn't appreciate it because I am neither. Then again, maybe I just didn't appreciate it, despite the love it seems to get from so many others (seriously, I was a little surprised to see all the five-star ratings), because it's not my cup of tea (or bowl of lima beans), and that's okay, too.

Moving on, this is the story of a young girl, Camilla, who loves lima beans but pretends she doesn't so the other kids don't make fun
Tina ( As Told By Tina )
This review was originally posted on As Told By TinaI will be the first one to admit that the cover of A Bad Case Of Stripes freaked me out. It also freaked Little One out. He told me he really didn’t want to read this but we both decided to conquer our fear and read the book.

I have noticed that Little One has been struggling with stress and sometimes I think it has to do with school and trying to fit in. I thought this story might help him.

Our library only had the audiobook available but afte
Maria
I think this book is pretty clever, but one reading of it has broken my 3 year old. She has been afraid to go to bed for the past few nights because of the "wiggly things" in this book. I donated it to the library to get it out of our house so I could promise her with a clean conscience that there were no wiggly things in our house.
Alma Loredo
Camilla Cream is so frustrated on the first day of school. She feels that she has many people to impress and feels that she has to look her best. In the mid of all this stress, she breaks into a bad case of the stripes. She is covered from head to toe in stripes and does not understand the reason why. The doctors check her put they cannot think what may have caused the stripes. She goes to school and is considered a distraction to the rest of the class and is asked to stay home. So many people t ...more
Jenna Cohen
Nov 12, 2012 Jenna Cohen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I read this for my 4th Picture Book review. I found it on the Goodreads recommended reading list bookshelf.

I picked this book to read because a colleague of mine keeps it on display in her classroom, but I had never read it. I never knew why until now!

This book would be a great read-aloud to elementary aged students. This book would be engaging as a read aloud as children could make predictions as the story is read, as well as be soaked in by the vivid pictures.

This would tie in great to social-
Bailey Huylar
Nov 24, 2013 Bailey Huylar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but decides not to eat them because everyone else thinks they’re gross and she wants to fit in. The next morning, she wakes up and has colored stripes all over her body! As the days go on, the stripes get worse and worse and change to represent anything imaginable including a checkerboard and clouds. She even grows a tail at one point! Camilla is mortified because now she stands out more than ever, but even the experts can’t determine what is wrong with her or com ...more
Nancy
Apr 28, 2015 Nancy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is awful. It teaches awful things like one can be punished by being dehumanized, doctors will hurt you, being different will cause bullying, and being sick or having a disease is shameful, and that no one can save you. It's actually quite bizarre and psychologically disturbing even for an adult (not to mention the graphic illustrations). My 4 year old son was TRAUMATIZED by this book. Would not sleep at night, crying fits of terror of turning into something non-human, begging to pray t ...more
Steve Urich
Oct 19, 2014 Steve Urich rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My daughters is eight years old and this book absolutely freaked her out. She's been crying off and on for about a week now and she says she just can't get the pictures out of her head. I recommend teachers reconsider using this book as my daughter feels is totally ruined her first month of school and she really does want to go to school now because of this book. To make it worse the teacher made a project of this and is posting on the classroom walls classroom walls.

We are fried everything tha
Elizabeth
Breaking my strict rule about avoiding David Shannon books, I checked this one out after I noticed that almost every goodreads friend I have is reading it or wants to read it. The illustrations are AMAZING. Perhaps the best I've ever seen in a picture book. The story is . . . meh. It's a little too old for Catherine, and kind of saccharine. A pretty standard version of the just-be-yourself bit.
Michelle
May 18, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally got around to reading this classic. It did not disappoint!
Simone
Sep 19, 2010 Simone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Not only is each page filled with bright colors and a lot of detail but it teaches a lesson of being your true self. This is a great picture book to use with older students!
Colton W
Sep 18, 2016 Colton W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, listened-to
This is a silly book, but it taught me a good lesson. The lesson is be your self.
Steph
Dec 24, 2016 Steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So cute
Jessica Loper
Jan 10, 2011 Jessica Loper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
Lillian Martin
Jan 24, 2017 Lillian Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You should really read this book! It's the most funnest book in the whole world!
Suzie
Mar 18, 2017 Suzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So glad that I finally found this book at the library! It's a great story about peer pressure and how it's best to be honest and do the things that make you happy.
Sara Canny
Feb 21, 2017 Sara Canny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
David Shannon once again himself with this book. A bad case of stripes is a cautionary tale about how conforming to what is "popular" or "cool" is not what is always best for you. If you're anything like our character Camilla, you'll end up with a bad case of stripes. Shannon's Illustration style varies differently from his "No, David!" series in that it is more realistic an vivid, and less childish. This could be his way of making readers believe that this could have happened in real life, so t ...more
Jessica Meyers
"When her class said the Pledge of Allegiance, she turned red, white, and blue, and she broke out in stars!"

A Bad Case of Stripes is about a girl who finds out that "fitting in" isn't all it's cracked up to be. Camilla Cream loves lima beans but never eats them. The other kids at school don't like them, and Camila just want to fit in. Like many young people, Camila is completely consumed with worry about what others think of her. She is desperate to fit in that her anxiety gets the best of her.
Angela Ball
Feb 11, 2017 Angela Ball rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit-ed204
(KidLit ED204 category: illustrator project)
"A Bad Case of Stripes" is a different type of story than the "No, David!" books that David Shannon is known for. This book is more appropriate for a little bit older kids in our age group. This is the story of Camilla Cream, a little girl who is so worried about everyone thinks. So worried that it gives her a case of the stripes, the worst case anyone has ever seen. The doctors and specialists don't know what to do, and their pills and suggestions onl
A Bad Case of Stripes 2 8 May 24, 2017 09:31AM
  • Diary of a Worm
  • How I Became a Pirate
  • Thank You, Mr. Falker
  • Enemy Pie
  • Hooray For Diffendoofer Day!
  • Pinduli
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Officer Buckle & Gloria
  • The Sandwich Swap
  • Piggie Pie
David Shannon is the author and illustrator of many highly praised books for children. Born in Washington, D.C., he grew up in Spokane, Washington. He graduated from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, with a fine arts degree, and then moved to New York City. His editorial illustrations have appeared in The New York Times, Time, and Rolling Stone, and his artwork has appeared ...more
More about David Shannon...