Start by marking “Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  355,739 ratings  ·  16,554 reviews
St. Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school- it's a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir's- the very place where they're most i ...more
Published August 16th 2007 by Razorbill (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Academy, please sign up.

Kirstie Vampire Academy series comes first, then Bloodlines series. Bloodlines focuses on other characters from the Vampire Academy Series. The books are much…moreVampire Academy series comes first, then Bloodlines series. Bloodlines focuses on other characters from the Vampire Academy Series. The books are much better, but i did think the film was pretty good and i hope they do the next one.(less)
Sharanya S. the guard and the princess are like BFFs despite their differences, cultures, responsibilities and heirarchy. However the guard falls in love with…morethe guard and the princess are like BFFs despite their differences, cultures, responsibilities and heirarchy. However the guard falls in love with another of her same kind - another "male" guard. (less)
Moon Called by Patricia BriggsHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDark Lover by J.R. WardDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningOne Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
100 Books to Read in 2011
6th out of 602 books — 501 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareVampire Academy by Richelle MeadCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
I will die with this in my hand
4th out of 317 books — 254 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
14 Apr '13
Future commenters: if you disagree with the review, that is perfectly fine and normal. If you wish to add your own thoughts of the book, that's also perfectly fine. But please keep the ad hominems and accusations (and not just directed at me, but also other commenters) at home.

Everyone's free to say what they wish on a public forum. But I am also free to moderate what goes on in my space. I've never deleted/moderated comments before, as that goes against my beliefs on free and public
Ruby
Oct 31, 2008 Ruby rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire fans
So many people talk about Twilight and miss this super great book......

I liked Twilight, but I had a hard time dealing with Bella. I thought she was just too...girly for some having with vampires. I wanted someone that could stand with them in a fight and not cower behind....Enter Rose. She is the bodyguard to Lissa, a vampire princess that must attend school and keep out of the clutches of the dark side. Rose is aggressive and hard headed, sometimes risking Lissa while trying to prove she is st
Stacia (the 2010 club)
I gave this book 3 stars on my first read. I raised my rating after reading and liking it more on my second read.

Addition : Why I think you should read VA instead of Covenant

The before : September 2010

I was a stubborn brat when it came to reading Vampire Academy. Part of me honestly thought that a vampire series couldn't impress me after experiencing how oversaturated the genre had become with depressing and lackluster characters and stories.

Because of this, I went into my first read of VA
Kat Kennedy
Vampire Academy is a difficult book to review.

On one hand, it is a variation on the norm and Rose is definitely not the usual character occupying the myriad of PRNs these days. The writing style is blessedly free of awkward construction and mistakes. In fact, the writing isn't too bad at all.

The secondary characterizations are quite good for the most part, and well rounded. The pacing is agonizingly slow at the beginning of the book and doesn't pick up until the last fifty pages. The lore behind
Etnik
description
____________________________________________
“Only a true best friend can protect you from your immortal enemies.”

____________________________________________

description

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

Okay so after billions of people recommending this to me,I decided to read it,to give it a try.To be honest I didn't except good things from this book,and I am glad I got some.

What I expected :

A vampire school

Vampires making out with each other

A forbidden love

An evil Vam

Scarlet
2.5 STARS

**Warning: This review contains spoilers**

EDIT: July 2014 - Since apparently my original review wasn't clear enough, I'll be inserting more of my musings as to why I didn't like this book from the comments section.

May 2011 -
Well here I am, finally writing my review for Vampire Academy after finishing it about four months ago (Wow, has it really been that long already?). I’ve had many long debates with myself over what I wanted to say, and now I think it’s time I finally said them.

Let m
Kat Stark

Buddyread with the wonderful weirdos: Jess & Karly (Click to read their reviews).

Yeah this book wasn’t for me. I’m not gonna rant, I’m not gonna complain. I’m just gonna say it in song. The reviews for this one are insane, so go read my fellow buddyreaders reviews for more info.

In the tune of Sir Mix-a-Lot

Oh, my, god. Mia, look at her breasts.
They are so big. [scoff]
She looks like one of those Dhampir guys' girlfriends.
But, you know, who understands what Dhampir means anyway? [scoff]
They o
Libro Joven
Best. Vampire. Saga. EVER. Just that. I dare anyone come and tell me otherwise. It is funny, witty, the plots are amazing, and the characters are great (well.... maybe Lissa is not great, but hey, she is just the one flaw). If you like vampire books, you must read it. If you hate vampire books, you must read it. What the hell, whether you like or dislike books in general, this book is a MUST HAVE. Because I say so (OK, me and thousands of people just like me) Twilight? What the hell is Twilight?
Faye, la Patata
So I watched the movie aaaaaand I hated it. I also made a comic review of the thing on the blog! But I'll also post it here for your reading pleasure. Warning: a lot of Dimitri shots.

08s

QUICK RANT:
<--- THIS is the hot Dimitri?! THIS?! WHO THE HELL IS THIS. WHO THE FUCK IS THIS CRETIN. HE IS NOT THE DIMITRI I EXPECTED.

I'm not sure I can endure the movie now.

~End rant~

And Bubbles makes her comeback yet again! I've been a fan of Richelle Mead since I started her Game of X series, bu
E DB
I decided to read Vampire Academy because it was on a list of books most likely to inherit Twilight's throne (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-an...) .

Before I harp on about the first Vampire Academy book, I want to comment on the series as a whole: these books are really readable and quite good fun. They pull fewer punches than a lot of other supernatural novels, and the series gets quite a bit darker as it progresses. The characters encounter myriad trials--mental instability, torture, betra
Leonie
Mar 01, 2013 Leonie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A girl most likely, and pretty much any girl at that :P
Recommended to Leonie by: No one! I found this on the book shelf and it looked awesome!!
This book was totally wicked! I it!!! :P

I hope you can feel my joy for reading this book once you have read it too! It was awesome!

I loved how you got totally engrossed in it and then it had a total shocker ending! But, I'm not telling you what that is! :P
Emily May

So I said I wouldn't read this after being warned about 10 million times that they stop being worth the bother after book 3. I said it repeatedly, earnestly... and then I caved. I mean, what do you do when you've nothing ahead of you but a day at the library and when you turn around...dum, dum, dum... there it is, the internationally praised series that you swore you would never... but then what if you felt different?... how can you expect to deal with not finding out for yourself? So I guess I
mark monday
Dear Vampire Diary,

wait, why did I write that? "vampire" diary? maybe cause everything in my life is vampire, vampire, vampire! best friend vampire. training to protect vampires. actually protecting vampires. I'm half-vampire. I go to a Vampire Academy for chrissakes. vampires, vampires, everywhere. and now apparently I have a vampire diary too. hello, unconscious. argh! ok enough of this bs, I'm getting annoyed and need to work it out by working out. maybe this diary thing isn't going to work o
Joel
This was alright, the ending was the best part for me. I feel like the characters were underdeveloped, I didn't care what happened to any of them, leaving me a bit underwhelmed by some of the scenes. 2.5 stars if I am being generous ;).
valee
I loved this book! I'm not into YA books, but I loved this one. Maybe it was because even though it was a YA book, I didn't remember it was about a girl of 17 until she said she was that age. The heroine in this book doesn't behave like a teen, and Dimitri for sure isn't. I can't wait to read more about them.

If you read this book knowing that it is YA, you'll love it. I read other paranormal YA books, and didn't like them this much. It is better than the house of night series and the vampire dia
Ronyell
6 stars!

When my friends told me about Richelle Mead’s popular “Vampire Academy” series, I just had to check this series out! Wow and double wow, this book was a brilliant introduction to the “Vampire Academy” series and after I had read this book, I really wanted to read more about these awesome characters! Full of drama, mystery, action and hot romance, “Vampire Academy” is definitely one novel that will take the paranormal world by storm!

For two years, Rose Hathaway and Vasilisa “Lissa” Drag
Renée
I was first introduced to this series when a young woman saw me hopelessly scouring the Barnes & Noble Teen section, desperate to satisfy my vampire fix, and recommended the series to me. (I went through a post-Twilight period where I basically bought random YA vampire books hoping they would scratch my new-found paranormal itch... I look back on this time with mild embarrassment.) I was sceptical because the title seemed a little "obvious" to me, and frankly the cover art didn't appeal to m ...more
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
**warning - may contain spoilers**

What a great first book to a series - I really enjoyed this, I couldn't put it down it was so good. I was expecting something a little more 'young' adult (along the lines of the House of Night series) but instead the characters are all quite mature. The book itself is written with more of a mature tone than other YA books I have read, and I much prefer this style of writing. I think it helped that one of the characters was twenty-four years old.

There are two typ
Tatiana
Updated 12/25/2010 How naive I was two years ago! Poor me didn't know what would become of the new promising writer Richelle Mead and this series. What started out as a new kind of paranormal series where romance took a back seat to political intrigue and adventure, became just another money-milking venture slapped together in a matter of weeks and stuffed in hardcovers for maximum profit. I feel mildly ashamed for recommending these books to so many people now. So I am updating this review to m ...more
Emelie
Honestly.. I hated it. I hate it, I hate it, I can't stand it! Rose, the whiny little bitch.. LEAVE LISSA ALONE! CHRISTIAN IS COOL! God, I really dislike her. It was.. boring, no, irritation can't be that boring.. since I was imagining myself strangling Rose :D That really can't be dull.
Anyways, I thought the author used the word "sexy" waaaay to many times at one page. It was sexy here, it was sexy there, it was sexy in space.. whatever, I can't stand it. I just didn't like it.. it wasn't at a
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*
Buddy-read set for mid December with my fellow castle dreamers, the delightful Jess & the wondrous Kat (Her review is made of WIN!)!!

Vampires! Vampires! Vampires!

UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME!

2.5 Stars

So, as you might have guessed by that star rating Vampire Academy was a miss for me. Not entirely a miss but a miss nonetheless.

My Grievances:

Girl-on-Girl Hate: I hate this shit so much... and it’s everywhere in this novel!! Every time I turned a page I was slapped in the face with it! Mia hat
Emma
WOW. I was so not prepared for this book to be so good. I'm not a friend of vampires (even though I loved Twilight) so I had my doubts. This book just blew my mind right away! I couldn't stop reading, I just kept on turning pages and repeated to myself like a million times "just one more chapter..." So if you are like me, DO NOT HESITATE TO PICK THIS BOOK UP. Give it a try! This was amazing and deserves easily 5 stars.

I loved the characters. Even though I didn't really feel them, I just loved h
Ariana

If I had to describe this book really shortly I would probably say: vampire teen drama.. a lot of vampire teen drama.
Not that this is bad, because I enjoyed enormously the way these teens interacted with each other, the jokes, the fights, the paybacks, and so on. Still, I felt like this was just another usual teen book with a more commercial settling. The only thing that made me think that this was a vampire book (except for the title and the fact that the main character told me so many times t
♔ Leah.
I don't know what to think of this book, because when I first tried to read it about a year ago, I got halfway and didn't really get the hype about the books. When I read it the second time my opinion of it didn't change all that much, there were equally good and bad apsects of the book. Overall, I did think it stood out amongst the YA genre but the plot wasn't anything special other than a few surprises along the line.

A lot of potential lies in the mythology- it is based on real Romanian mythol
Allison (The Allure of Books)
I'm currently reading the third book in this series, so my review will probably end up being pretty general over what I've read so far.

I think the mark of a good series is when you feel like they are all one big book, when everything flows and fits together properly. I hate when one book is really good and then the next one stinks.

The mark of a good AUTHOR is when the chemistry with the characters is real. I don't necessarily mean just romantic chemistry. The main character, Rose, is best frien
Natasha
Richelle Mead's VAMPIRE ACADEMY is my favorite YA series yet. I was hooked from this book and read all four in a day and a half. I cannot wait for SPIRIT BOUND in May 2010.I've heard people comparing this to TWILIGHT and I really don't know why. It's nothing like it. Don't get me wrong, I liked TWILIGHT a lot, it's just not on much of the same level as this series and I find VAMPIRE ACADEMY less predictable that kept me on edge more. And I also love the character selection more.

Rose is a Damph
Emma Giordano
Why does Memorial Day weekend exist? Holidays are screwing up my Amazon shipping speed so I won't get my box set until Wednesday! This book was amazing and really something I needed right now. It's right up my alley for fantasy and although sometimes the characters got on my nerves, I really love the world and the plot and it was all together a great story. Sometimes the writing felt a bit young for me but that doesn't make it any less of a great novel. I know vampires are kind of "out", but if ...more
Pearl Angeli
One of the reasons why I decided to read this long series is because I was so intrigued after I've read the Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout (which is one of my favorites) and read some reviews that compared both series as similar when it comes to concept and storyline.

Now after reading this book, I kind of think that yeah, they are indeed the same in almost everything. But anyway, this was published earlier so this is certainly original.

Vampire Academy is downright amazing. This book
Elle
Dec 31, 2010 Elle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The living
Recommended to Elle by: All you Goodreaders
Well for crying in a bucket, THIS, is a good series.

It was only about 6 months ago that I became a frequent reader.
Yes, dear Goodreaders. It was Twilight that did it. But in my defence, I only read the Twilight series because I had seen the first three movies already, and I'll be FEKKED if I was going to wait another goddamn year to find out who Bella chose in the end!

Regardless, the point is this.
I was on board with world of all things paranormal, which is why I picked up the Vampire Academy
Anne

Ehhhhhhh

It took quite a few chapters for me to get into this one, and even then it was pretty easy to put down.
I'm not saying it was awful, but I really didn't feel much of anything for the characters. And for the first half of the book I kinda thought Rose was a lesbian.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
It was just doubly confusing for me when she got the crush on her mentor...or whatever he is.

But since everyone seems to think these books are The Greatest, I'm going to give th
Square In Wonderl...: * Vampire Academy General 12 8 Jul 29, 2015 02:45PM
Unpopularish Books That Should Be Read 7 60 Jul 29, 2015 02:03PM
Square In Wonderl...: VA Ch. 1-6 2 5 Jul 28, 2015 10:31AM
Book Talk 13 40 Jul 26, 2015 07:03PM
The Perks Of Bein...: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead 43 476 Jul 21, 2015 07:53AM
Books With Russian Male Leads 2 19 Jul 18, 2015 09:46PM
Square In Wonderl...: VA Ch. 19-24 1 4 Jul 17, 2015 07:33AM
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
  • Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3)
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)
  • Bleeding Hearts (Drake Chronicles, #4)
  • Masquerade (Blue Bloods, #2)
  • Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction
  • Sentinel (Covenant, #5)
  • The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1)
  • Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)
  • The Coffin Club (Vampire Kisses, #5)

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away f
More about Richelle Mead...

Vampire Academy (6 books)
  • Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)
  • Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)
  • Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)
  • Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5)
  • Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6)
Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6)

“Do you think I'm pretty?
I think you're beautiful
Beautiful?
You are so beautiful, it hurts sometimes.”
4643 likes
“Only a true best friend can protect you from your immortal enemies.” 4545 likes