Start by marking “Bead on a Wire: Making Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry” as Want to Read:
Bead on a Wire: Making Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry

Bead on a Wire: Making Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  149 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
20 step-by-step bead and wire jewelry projects including earrings, necklaces, brooches and bracelets from popular craft author and magazine editor Miller.
Published July 26th 2005 by North Light Books

To ask other readers questions about Bead on a Wire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bead on a Wire

Altivo Overo
Dec 16, 2015 Altivo Overo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in jewelry design and construction
Shelves: beadwork
Clear and precise, well-illustrated guide. The author breaks down wire-bending and beading into procedures such as "making a wire link" or "making an eye pin" and then illustrates the way in which these procedures can be connected to create an entire project such as a bracelet or earrings. Easy to follow, reasons usually given for why things are done a certain way. The sample projects are attractive and mostly uncomplicated. I'd recommend this highly to anyone interested in the construction of w ...more
Sandra
Jan 12, 2016 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafting
Excellent instructions and explanations. A great book for beginners, also a good reference for the experienced. Not all of the projects are terribly attractive but they all involve versatile elements that are great leaping off points for experimentation.
Kathy
Jun 28, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jewelry-making
This is a great book. Even if you are not new to wire and bead jewelry, this book will teach you great, new ideas. Definitely a keeper for referencing great ideas in wire-working. I love this book and recommend it! Easy to read, easy to follow, and this author makes things that last! I've had some books with designs that break, but not these. These designs are ones you'll make and keep for a good while. I've had this book for years but I'm new to Goodreads, so I just had to come on here and writ ...more
josey
Dec 28, 2010 josey rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewelry-how-to
I have an interest in jewelry making with wire and saw this book got good reviews on amazon.com. It IS an excellent book for beginners (plus some cool projects for all diff levels)--it stresses precision and craftsmanship which I like :) I am, however, reading a few other jewelry-making books and finding that it's best to put all the knowledge together as 1) this book is almost 6 years old and jewelry-making has boomed since then and 2) there are sooo many opinions, tips and techniques out there ...more
Helen
Feb 02, 2012 Helen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jewelry-making
A good book on a better wire jewelry making, unlike the plain common one. With flattening by a hammer and antiquing in the liver of sulfur.

Artist's jewelry making style is opposite to my taste, too heavy and busy looking, but the techniques are priceless for general education, in case you ever will need to get this effect. I already was wondering how they did that flat wire wrap around focal bead, and here it is.

Recommended.
Darlene
Oct 31, 2008 Darlene rated it it was amazing
If you are interested in learning about wire and beaded jewelry this book is great. It has wonderful photos. The instructions are clear. The designs and techniques shown are the current trends in handcrafted jewelry. I refer to this book time after time. Whether I need to make a handmade clasp or I need inspiration to start something new, this book helps me to be creative.
Rhonda
Jan 10, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This is an excellent book, not only for the clear, concise instructions and excellent photos, but also for inspiration! I've become a fan of Sharilyn Miller's style, it's very much like my own style, and I enjoy her books immensely. It's also a good reference book for techniques. I highly recommend this book!
TK
Sep 28, 2010 TK rated it liked it
The author's designs are beautiful, and the list of tools exhaustive and helpful. However, she does everything but smelt her own metal wire. I was really looking for more of a beginners guide. The author's metal work with several of the projects is extensive; I just want to thread beads.
Wendi
Sep 03, 2008 Wendi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jewelry-making
This is the BEST book I've found about creating wire jewelry. BEST book EVER. It gives really, really clear steps on how to create wire jewelry and findings and clasps. Lots of awesome projects too. I hate that I have to take this book back to the library. I really do. I love it too much.
Aubrey
Nov 18, 2010 Aubrey rated it it was amazing
I don't really add books like this to my account but I had to return it to the library and want to make sure I never forget it. Pretty much all of the jewelry in here was so gorgeous and it looked so simple to make and has inspired me to start making my own jewelry for sure.
Lee Koopman
Apr 15, 2010 Lee Koopman rated it liked it
A great book for beginners. I'm an old hand with wire but I did find one thing that I wanted to make. Most of the projects are really basic but there are nice patterns and the instructions are very clear
Angela
Jun 21, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
Highly illustrated step-by-step instructions and techniques to make professional-looking saleable handmade jewelry. Discusses and carefully pictures the use of specialty tools.
Jobi
Oct 06, 2009 Jobi rated it it was ok
This is a great book for beginners, but you can find most everything there in other, more comprehensive and interesting books.
Jean Yates
Apr 13, 2008 Jean Yates rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: jewelry designers and those eager to learn more about all areas of jewelry design
This jewelry design book is a classic, and for anyone who wants to understand wire work better, it is a must have, in my opinion!
Karen
Mar 20, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jewelry
Extremely useful techniques presented in a way easy to follow. I've already made some of the things explained here.
Robin
Aug 20, 2008 Robin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who like doing bead crafts
This is a really good crafting book that shows how to work with wire to make jewelry.
Tammy Powley
Mar 30, 2008 Tammy Powley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: wire/metal workers
Rebecca Coday
Apr 27, 2012 Rebecca Coday rated it it was amazing
best bead/wire how to book out there IMHO!
Samantha
Dec 13, 2012 Samantha added it
Shelves: beading

Good basic wire techniques.
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Sonya
Sonya rated it it was amazing
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Barbara Price
Barbara Price rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
April Card
April Card rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Jewels
Jewels added it
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Sue Dakin
Sue Dakin rated it it was amazing
Nan Slaysman
Nan Slaysman rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Teach Yourself Visually Jewelry Making & Beading
  • Altered Books, Collaborative Journals, and Other Adventures in Bookmaking
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Jewelry Making & Beading for Dummies
  • Anticraft: Knitting Beading & Stitching for the Slightly Sinister
  • Steampunk Style Jewelry: Victorian, Fantasy, and Mechanical Necklaces, Bracelets, and Earrings
  • Microcrafts: Tiny Treasures to Make and Share
  • Mod Podge Rocks!: Decoupage Your World
  • The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations
  • The Big-Ass Book of Home Décor: More Than 100 Inventive Projects for Cool Homes Like Yours
  • The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired
  • We Dare You: Scrapbook Challenges about Real Life
  • Journal It!: Perspectives in Creative Journaling
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media
  • Creative Lettering and Beyond: Inspiring tips, techniques, and ideas for hand lettering your way to beautiful works of art
  • Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead