At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)

At Grave's End (Night Huntress #3)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  44,988 ratings  ·  1,871 reviews
It should be the best time of half-vampire Cat Crawfield’s life. With her undead lover Bones at her side, she’s successfully protected mortals from the rogue undead. But though Cat’s worn disguise after disguise to keep her true identity a secret from the brazen bloodsuckers, her cover’s finally been blown, placing her in terrible danger.

As if that wasn’t enough, a woman...more
Published December 30th 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published December 20th 2008)

Auntee
Jul 18, 2009 Auntee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
Whew! What a crazy, thrilling read...I feel like I just spent days in a gruesome, gory amusement park, on a ride that just wouldn't stop! I'm not sure where to begin in describing this book.

I'll start with the obvious. This book started out as almost all Urban Fantasy, with Bones and Cat and company going from one confrontation to another, fighting the baddies with lots of gore and mayhem, and their usual wit and sarcastic humor. My, how the heads rolled in this one (some literally)...for those...more
Shawna
Jul 29, 2009 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hot vampire lovers; fans of urban fantasy romance
Kat Kennedy
It completely lacks in buttsecks. So other than that, there's not much to say other than Bones' overprotectiveness is getting on my nerves.

She's a big girl. Just because someone looks at her wrong, doesn't mean they need to be introduced to the business end of Mr Sharp and Pointy.

Also, they're totally an evil empire and they just don't know it. They've killed more people than most natural disasters can even manage. All in the name of buttsecks... err, love.
Emilie
Really, these books should have a warning on their cover:
WARNING!
Once you start, you can't get enough. They are like a drug; you get high on Bones.

Do I need to say more?
Rane
Life should be great for Cat Crawfield, with her undead lover Bones by her side, a great job kicking the undead’s butt and friends whom have her back, but when Cat and Bones are force to stop an all out vampire war they’re in for a the fight of their lives...

The more I read The Night Huntress series the more I can’t help but fall in love with all of the characters and the world Frost has built. Some series suffer as they go along, but Frost doesn’t disappoint At Grave’s End with non-stop actio...more
2.5 stars. Slightly better than One Foot in the Grave, but not good enough.

Like One Foot, incidents in this book are strung together with little thread. They go here, they go there, they kill someone, someone tries to kill Cat, someone tries to kill Bones, they go somewhere else, they shuffle Cat's friends & family between safehouses, they go another place, they kill someone else. Absurdly complicated plots were brainstormed for seemingly needless reasons (usually revolving around Cat's safe...more
Theresa
If you haven't read books 1 and 2 in this series, don't start with this entry. Really, just... don't. If you haven't read books 1 and 2, don't read this review.

Of the three books in this series to date, this entry was my least favorite.

What I liked:

- Bones. He can do no wrong. As a side note, it seemed like every sentence he spoke had some British-ism in it. Don't know why I noticed that, but I did. It didn't bother me - just had to his smoking hotness.

- Vlad. I was like, oh yeah, when I first...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
All I have to say is one word... BONES

This series is so F-ing good. Jeaniene Frost writes urban fantasy just how I like it: Funny, sexy, action packed, and silly-drama free.

I'm not going to do a whole analyze-y review because I'm just going to circle back inevitably to the idea that "Bones is a sexy god... me likey" over and over. Let's just say that whenever I pick up a book in this series I get consistently amazing stuff.

This book is just so quotable. Here is one that made me laugh out loud:...more
Catarina
5 Awesome Stars.

In this third book we have Cat and Bones, now bound by blood and looking for a break.
Except that having a break is basically an impossible event in their lives and this time a vampire is seeking revenge against Bones that revenge is sought trough Cat, because everyone knows how Bones will react if something would happened to her.
And they are right, in a war against someone they don’t know and against powers that plot against them, their love and their “lives”, they are facing p...more
Barbara M.
OMG you guys what's up with our (once) favorite authors and series?

Frost, Cole, Kenyon, Kleypass, Moning, Roberts (and a few others) seem to have taken the easy way out and have gone l-a-z-y with their work. I for one am starting to get tired of paying full price ($8.00 a pop mind you) for books half the size, large font, and with an embarrassing amount of copying and pasting...

I guess the only way we're going to get our great reads back are to quit buying these so-called "next installments" and...more
Catherine
This book is actually more of a 3 1/2 star.

While reading my review, keep in mind that I did enjoy the book. I plan to continue reading the series and get the fourth book, but if my problem with this book consumes the next book I think this series and I will have to break up.

I loved a lot of the side characters in this one. Mencheres continues to be intriguing, although at times I just wanted to smack him and tell him to man up. Spade and Annette are back for more page time too. Who really caught...more
Arlene
Oct 15, 2011 Arlene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Arlene by: Booker Buddy Read - Crystal
Many times in our lives we’ve been powerless, but not this night. Right now we have the power to choose the manner in which we die. If you have been a master of nothing else in all your days, you are now a master of this moment. And I for one am going to give such an answer to this insult that others will dearly regret not being by my side to see it.

Wow! Where do I even start with this book?! At Grave’s End is probably my favorite in the Night Huntress series so far. It made me laugh, it made me...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Jan09

Wow. I just finished “At Grave’s End” by Jeaniene Frost and I think I may need a few minutes to calm my racing heart. This series has grown in many ways from the first book, “Halfway to the Grave”. It’s a combination of paranormal, romance, humor, and action. All these factors are combined into stories that grab your emotions and your heart rate and don’t let up even when you finish the last page.

The half-vampire Cat should be happy. She and her...more
Emily May
This third installment in the Night Huntress series just completely eradicated any 'buts' I had about the last two novels. I'd gone on and on about my love for the characters (especially Bones) and the fun, witty dialogue; but I still acknowledged that there was something lacking in Frost's plots that kept me from awarding the full 5 stars that I wanted to.

This book changed that. The plot was developed, fast-paced and sucked you in from the beginning. The other books were a lot more laid back an...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Every single time they refer to Bones as Crispin, this guy pops into my head:

I have to physically shake my head so that I picture something hot like this instead:

Oh yeah, baby!

I liked this book, though not as much as the second book but more than the first.

I want to talk about Tate because I feel so bad for this guy. He kind of reminds me of Butch from BDB in Dark Lover.

*Tate is interested in a girl who obviously isn’t meant for him. Same with my man, Butch.

*Tate is willing to protect Cat eve...more
Didi
One of the best things about this series is that we are never left with mother of all mother cliffhangers! Every book resolves itself but leaves a thread that builds into the next installment. The third in the Night Huntress series is my fave so far, it was action-packed and full of whiplash revelations. Bones is seriously hot stuff. He's such a great hero, being tender with Cat yet ruthless with whoever crosses her...love him.

Cat is her kick-ass self, showing she's got as much brains as brawn....more
It's just me Shelly B
I'm sorry but these books are soooooooo GOOD I can't even stop and review them!!!! The weird thing is....this is the second time I've read them and they are STILL THAT GOOD!!!

Mother of sweet baby rabbits I f*cking love Bones and Cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nichole (Dirty H)
Disappointing and unsatisfying...

Let me start by saying I LOVED the first two books of this series, and quickly deemed it my new favorite.
But most of the things that made the first two so fun to read seemed to be missing from this one; namely, the interactions between the characters.
The relationship between Cat and Bones was always the center of what made these books so good. It was fun, and it was hot. Most of that is missing here; you get some brief moments between them (and one very rushed p...more
Lauren
At Grave's End
4 Stars

I'm obviously in the minority but Cat and Bones's relationship is still not appealing to me. What little chemistry they had in the first two installments has fizzled out completely and now it seems like they are simply going through the motions. Moreover, it is difficult to summon up any emotional engagement with either Cat or Bones during the more angst ridden section of the book.

In contrast, the secondary characters have far more personality. Mencheres, Ian and Vlad are f...more
Anushka
FINALLY.
At last my effort of holding on to this series despite disliking the first two books has paid off.

Everything was done so right in this book!

My problem with Halfway to the Grave was that in spite of fantastic protagonists and plot developments, it turned out to be a huge disappointment by the end of it. Then,One Foot in the Grave' s fault was that it was predictable. So much of mumbo jumbo was pulled off and it took a very foreseen dramatic twist at the end. And that’s why I was hugely d...more
Kathrynn
Action packed, but low in the romance/relationship sector; however, the writing and plot kept me on the edge of my seat with both humor and a constant state of turmoil. New characters were introduced--some very famous--and I hope Vlad gets more time in later books; sure liked him.

For people reading the series, At Grave's End is a "must read" because vital parts come to life (pun intended) as more elements of the supernatural/paranormal world open up. Some parts are particularly gory, too, so FYI...more
Amanda
Night Huntress reread in anticipation for Book 7 Up From the Grave release on 1/28/14

At Grave's End is the most intense one so far in the series running. Jeaniene Frost didn't pull any punches in delivering us some shocking revelation and surprises at every corner. Compare to the more lighthearted from the prior books, this time it was more gut wrenching and we have some epic battle scene that was full of gore. Ew.

Bones, my favorite vamp to date was a former-human-gigolo-turned-vampire-hitman. H...more
Mel
I love Bones, I love Cat and Bones together, but frankly: I don't get the fuss over the Night Huntress series. Sure: it's entertaining and funny. Cat's attitude and bitchy one liners crack me up too. But the general plot? Character development? Secondary characters? I'm sorry but it aint much...

The Night Huntress series might be good in the romance department but there's a general lack of story line and fleshing out of everybody except the hero and heroine. Actually I think even Bones is pretty...more
Sheri
Another installment in the Cat and Bones saga. Not my favorite thus far, but very good nonetheless.

My favorite things about this book:
- Bones, of course. Still incredibly hot and sexy, and now even more powerful than before.
- Cat. I like her attitude overall. She's not a wishy-washy female lead. She sees what needs to be done and does it. She does not let emotions interfere with her actions.
-Cat's mom (Justina). This book shows a whole new side of her. I was laughing so hard reading the secti...more
Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog)
I really like this book, alot!!! This series just continues to get better and better.

The story between Bones and Cat definitely deepened. Lots of good action, drama and twists. I've got to say, there is a couple of scenes that left me in tears.

There were alot of character developements. I got to know more of Tate, Vlad, Ian, Mencheres, and even Justina. Spade, Denise and Randy's story also unfolds here.

There is a ch 32!!! Though it wasn't as wild, the PASSION was just as HOT. This chapter again...more
Jim
I didn't buy this book new & I'm glad. The first book showed a lot of promise, the second book didn't live up to even that forlorn hope & this book circled the drain. I don't think she can salvage this series now. I think 2 stars is generous.

She has a neat premise, a new take on vampires, ghouls & such. Unfortunately, her writing has gone downhill along with her plot, characterization & overall theme.

There was no doubt about how the story would play out. Her characters are too p...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
I really thought this was the best of the bunch so far...although I'd have enjoyed another "ch. 32" in this book :)

Spoilers, Spoilers, Spoilers

I only gave it 4 stars for one big reason-all throughout the book, whenever it would come time to choose sides, the other vampires would say something like "Is all-out war really worth a woman's hurt pride?"
I took it to mean, that since Max never raped Cat's mom, he was just an all-around asshat, that no one took his threat seriously. So when he sliced an...more
Buggy
Opening Line: "The man smiled and I let my gaze linger over his face."

AT GRAVES END is the 3rd addition to the Night Huntress series and damn I’ve missed me some Bones. He remains one of my favourite literary boyfriends even though this particular instalment never really grabbed me. If you’re a fan of non-stop action and tons of bloodshed you’ll love this one but for me it was just too much.

With a different battle waging and new characters introduced every couple of pages I had a hard time gett...more
ßk☼lvr
VAMPIRES, GOULS, ZOMBIES AND WRAITHS...OH MY!!!!

This series is still so much fun. Cat continued to put me in fits of behind-the-hand-giggles, and Bones...well, he just had me melting over and over and over!!!

I was constantly guessing who was good, and who was bad. Loves me some mystery to me stories, I do!!! And the addition of Dracula [Vlad] and Cleopatra's daughter. Very clever...♥ Even though at the near end, I did a bit of this...

But overall...

...Yay!!!!! ♥
Mimi
1½ out of 5 stars

I really don't know why I kept on reading. It's like a car crash on the side of the road, and I just can't look away. Tbh, I feel an itch to continue the series to see how much more I can take before quitting in a rage.

The writing is pure PNR; the romance is so saccharine; "beloved" characters are always in peril; the plotting gets crazier with every chapter; the main character, even more obnoxious; and then there's all the blood. This book has almost no trace of the first book,...more
Who would play Bones in a movie version? 122 663 Jul 09, 2014 04:47PM
Urban Fantasy: Looking for new books to read. 42 321 Sep 25, 2013 12:06AM
Bones letter 5 134 Mar 18, 2013 11:02AM
Some questions. 2 49 Mar 17, 2013 12:41AM
Shut Up & Read: At Grave's End by Jeaniene Frost 92 126 Jan 15, 2013 05:34PM
  • The Bite Before Christmas (Argeneau, #15.5; Night Huntress, #6.5)
  • Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3)
  • Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid, #4)
  • Jabril (Vampires in America, #2)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Riley Jenson Guardian #6)
  • Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson, #3)
  • The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, #2)
  • Passion Unleashed (Demonica, #3)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • In the Blood (The Maker's Song, #2)
  • Midnight Rising (Midnight Breed, #4)
Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series, and the upcoming Broken Destiny series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in North Carolina with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on the weekends...more
More about Jeaniene Frost...
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)

“Get stuffed, don't you have more publicity stunts to pull?" Bones shot back. "How about chatting with another writer who can smear your name into greater popularity?"
"What, did Anne Rice not return your calls, mate?" Vlad asked scathingly. "Jealousy is such an ugly trait.”
465 likes