Start by marking “The Elephant in the Living Room: Make Television Work for Your Kids” as Want to Read:
The Elephant in the Living Room: Make Television Work for Your Kids

The Elephant in the Living Room: Make Television Work for Your Kids

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The nation's top child development experts examine the effects of television on children and their groundbreaking research will startle many

Television is the "elephant in the living room" of our culture. American children watch television an average of 3 hours per day, and many parents sheepishly concede that they rely on television as an electronic babysitter. But TV is n
Published August 22nd 2006 by Rodale Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Elephant in the Living Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elephant in the Living Room

Karen Leonard
Really good book about how to raise kids in a world with TV.
Janie
I like the book's mantra: "the unexamined TV is not worth watching".

Couple of notes:
* emphasis on that you should watch with your child(ren) when they watch (see the study that showed children were more attentive to the show w/parent in room), so you can know what happened and talk with them about it
* can't expect them to want to talk about TV if they never see you doing it with the shows you watch
* cool to see Dr. Kuhl's bilingual media study mentioned in there (esp. since I'm in her Lang and
Jen
This is a very interesting guide to monitoring TV viewing for your children, from their infancy to teenage years. As a mother of a toddler, I was primarily interested in the areas that focused on the preschool years. It had a lot of useful information on what to look for in good educational TV as well as guidelines for how much is too much. The authors cite a number of interesting studies relating TV viewing to attention deficit, sleep, and weight disorders. There are also references to a number ...more
Lenita
Apr 29, 2009 Lenita rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any parent worried about how the media influences their children
This book teaches about the effects of television in your home. It is super comprehensive and discusses how tv affects everything from sleep, early sex, violence, literacy development, ADD, prosocial behaviors, obesity, body image, drugs and alcohol, spending habits, and more. I agreed with almost everything and I now feel that I can more effectively bring the television into my home so that it can be used as a tool for good purposes rather than what I was afraid of it doing: bringing filth and ...more
Cynthia
This book is really interesting so far. I highly recommend it if you are currently a parent or are planning to become one some day. The book does not glorify or demonize TV but lays out the research being done on the affects of TV on children from age 0-18.

Although I haven't finished reading it yet, it also has a chapter dedicated to a step-by-step approach to "using" TV to educate and engage your kids.
Gemma Alexander
I got this book as swag for participating in a study on preschoolers' TV habits. It's an interesting and mostly compelling look at the way TV affects children, based mosly on the authors' own research. It is also notable for being the first book I managed to read cover to cover since Aranya was born.
Had some intersting theories about how television (DVDs, movies, etc.) can be helpful or harmful to your children. Nothing groundbreaking in the book, but it gave me some great methods and criteria for choosing appropriate media for my children.
Ingrid
Great book for parents. We spend more time on dinner choices than TV choices for our children. I now understand I can choose TV that is educational for my children; and I understand the need to limit time spent with the TV on.
Dora
I think this is a terrific resource for new parents. For most people, living with no tv isn't realistic. I found a number of helpful coping tools in here, plus research on why setting limits and boundaries is so important!
Amber Richardson
Good suggestions especially for younger children. I was familiar with a lot of the research cited in the book about why TV is bad, but it made some good suggestions as to how to make tv work for your kids.
Mahdis
People always ask me why we don't have a television- well this is my answer. This book is very helpful and provides you well researched documentation to help with media decisions in your home.
Mandy
I am going to have to invest in this book, since I didn't have time to finish it before it was due back to the library. Lots of helpful advice and insights!
Jessica
How to either not watch TV, or watch it wisely. We mostly choose not to.
Victoria
Great advice - while it does cover the ways that television are bad for children, it also has some constructive advice on how to use television in a positive way
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Bodour
Bodour added it
Dec 26, 2014
safa' dalal
safa' dalal marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Hanan mansour
Hanan mansour marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Shereen Shaban
Shereen Shaban marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Brian Behrend
Brian Behrend marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Ramona Stoiciu
Ramona Stoiciu marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
Lex
Lex marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Rajendra
Rajendra marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013