Start by marking “When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life” as Want to Read:

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  359 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Are you plagued by fears, phobias, or panic attacks? Do you toss and turn at night with a knot in your stomach, worrying about your job, your family, work, your health, or relationships? Do you suffer from crippling shyness, obsessive doubts, or feelings of insecurity?
What you may not realize is that these fears are almost never based on reality. Anxiety is one of the worl
Published May 9th 2006 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about When Panic Attacks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Panic Attacks

Mollie T
I'm not much for self-help books, but a psychologist recommended it to me, and I finally moved past my biases and started it. The subtitle isn't kidding when it says it can change your life! The book is basically a bunch of cognitive therapy techniques that you can do by yourself or with a friend. I got so much out of it--and yet there's so much left to learn--that I'm planning to immediately start reading it again.

Oddly, while I think this book will do a lot to help a variety of problems I occ
Natalie
This audio book was full of great ideas to use when you are struggling with anxiety and panic attacks. Many of these I had heard of or already use myself. There were also a few new ones that I have been putting into practice. I love his common sense approach that anxiety always has a trigger and never just "comes out of nowhere". He is really good about teaching you how to find the trigger and deal with it. He also had a lot of great client examples to share. Apparently the audio cd is not a rea ...more
Mr. Roboto
Bought this for someone close to me who suffers from panic attacks. Decided to read it first to make sure it was an appropriate gift, and found that it has useful information for anyone who wants to combat perfectionism (my problem) and any kind of self-defeating behaviors. Burns helps you get to the root of certain problems and combat them. You'll definitely feel more human and less alone in your worries/insecurities after reading this one. I decided to keep the copy I was planning to give as a ...more
Sherah
This is a good book for people with specific phobias (eg, heights, elevators, snakes), fear of dying (not existential fear, but like, physical death from panic symptoms), post-traumatic stress anxiety, that sort of thing. I myself suffer from fear of loss of control, and found this book insightful to a point, just not something that could fix what I'm going through. I didn't really think it was going to solve all my problems; I read it because it's written by the author of "Feeling Good," the fa ...more
Huntertxrd
sucks. i get stressed out just thinking of wasting my money (even if it was half price)
he offers a lot of quick stories in which the afflicted seek his help and he cures then in 1-2 sessions. he must be a miracle worker. he is selling a load of crap. i need a couple sessions just to get over my anxiety about his quick fixin's
Julia
I used his cognitive-behavioral therapy techniques, outlined in this book, to combat the negative spirals I found myself caught in when my depression began to clear, but left me with frequent spells of mild (paralyzing, but not hospital worthy) panic attacks. They were a very useful tool in my arsenal and I saw dramatic changes in just a few weeks.

As someone very interested in psychology, and possibly considering counseling as a career, I found the book very useful in that, like a textbook, it d
Amy
Anyone with anxiety or who has ever suffered a panic attack can appreciate some of what this book has to offer. Whether your condition is mild or very bad, its still something that can be crippling at times and is very misunderstood. Many people do not seek help for this. There is help for this condition and people do not need to ashamed of it! Most people (especially women) will have a panic attack at some point in their lives (and they are lucky if it does not become a reaccuring problem (sorr ...more
Maarten
Aug 06, 2013 Maarten rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with minor to mild anxiety
This book is basically a summary of all sorts of techniques you can use if you: a) suffer from anxiety attacks b) are depressed (no severe depression!) or c) up your self-confidence.
As one with severe anxiety this book was a fun and comforting read, no more than that. Most of the things elaborated upon in this book were already figured out to some extend by myself.
Yes, I know this sounds arrogant but I'm sure some people can relate: if you have anxiety that ruins your life you overanalyse every
Sara
This book is a LIFE SAVIOR!! Im writing this review as a psychiatrist and as a person who has suffered from panic disorder. It has powerful tools that help you overcome all kind of anxiety starting from panic attacks to social anxiety, it touches you deeply and make you face the monster that been hiding inside of you and been eating your life away! I have used it with my patients and helped them ALOT!! Dr david burns is like the guru of CBT. I recommend this book to my patients and to anyone has ...more
Betty Hallenbeck
Extremely well written book, full of practical techniques to help all those struggling with any type of anxiety. Whether you - or somebody you know - have full-blown panic attacks, generalized anxiety, or simply tend towards worrying, Dr. Burns will provide you with new tools to tame your tensions. Easily implemented by anybody who is motivated to worry less.
Nickole
I was on page 80 and the author was still trying to persuade me to read and follow his methods. Written in text book form and was just too busy for me. Also, I don't think I have panic attacks... I am hormonal and anxious :(. Hopefully after I give birth and get back to normal, I will be better!
Tobi
When I read this book I was able to get my panic attacks under control. Here is what works for me: cognitive therapy (this book teaches how this works, basically it means changing how you think), quitting coffee, running/aerobic exercise, yoga and, when needed, xanax or valarian.
Miss
Deep breathing can work in the short time but narcotics and benzos are popular for a reason! HELLO PEOPLE!!
Christina
Do you ever have thoughts like: "I'll never get this right." "Everyone can tell I'm shy and don't have anything interesting to say." "This plane is totally going to crash and we will all die!"

If so, like me, than this is the book for you. I always thought---from how it was in the talk therapy I experienced---that cognitive therapy is useless. How wrong I was. I learned 40 different ways to help myself just with one thing. And sixteen ways to defeat a distorted thought.

This book takes a long tim
Heather
This book was just a rehash of his previous publications with a different focus-- panic. Yet it's actually more generalized to mood and anxiety issues in the book. Call me cynical, but he just a re- formulated same old, same old with a new cover so he could sell more books.

And even though I greatly admire David Burns and use his New Mood treatment with my clients, he's quite the egotist. He makes pretty outrageous claims, stating how a client with a 25 year intractable history of anxiety saw hi
Brian
If you've ever wondered what the heck is this Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) all about? Can CBT really be as good if not better than medication? OK, so let's assume CBT is legit, give me some really simple actionable steps to use it?

This book is for you if you answered yes to any of the above questions. The core principal of CBT: if you change the way you think, you change the way you feel. Moreover, a person cannot believe equally in contradictory beliefs. Therefore, the goal of CBT is to m
Nicole
Life Changing

recommended by our family physician and it was, no IS, a must read for everyone that suffers with anxiety or depression. it is also helpful to a spouse or family member supporting another person.
Thank you Dr Burns.
Daniel Fowler
This book is great for people who have specific phobias or anxieties that are very "concrete". By concrete, I mean you worry about the same things and you have definite triggers. In my case, I have what I call "meta-anxiety" and "mental illness hypochondria". Yeah, neither of those are technical terms, but they are the best way to explain what I experience. If you tend to find yourself worrying more about your thought processes and mental health than anything else, I would not recommend this boo ...more
Ashley
I'd give this book a 3.5 so I rounded up to 4. When Panic Attacks is definitely relatable for those who suffer from anxiety. And there were a ton of good techniques for overcoming different kinds of anxiety. However, a book can only motivate you so much. And there were soo many techniques it became a bit overwhelming at times. Still, a worthwhile read. And hopefully I will put some of the techniques to action.
Sean Conner
Very good and practical book about mindful living.
Jenn Hovis
I got this book because after starting Nursing School I had awful panic attacks that centered around exams (if you have ever gone to nursing school you can understand why!). I am not really a self help book fan but this book was excellent. It was helpful, never patronizing, funny at times, and helped me tremendously. I would recommend this book to anyone that has anxiety or panic attacks. I am able to get through my exams without panic attacks, and I attribute that to many of the techniques I le ...more
Chelsea
This book is an amazing tool that people suffering from depression and/or anxiety can read and learn from to help learn how to overcome their inner demons. I would recommend this, however, for everybody, not just people suffering from anxiety and depression. This book contains a number of strategies to break bad mental habits and create positive ones and I think it would be very useful for just about anybody.

I look forward to perhaps reading another book by this author.
Maria
After a traumatizing life event this book helped me so much more than I could ever imagine. I thought it was silly when a friend recommended it to me. I was so wrong.. I owe so much to this book and author. It really made me realize that my anxiety was all in my head and that I CAN control it. I am able to lead a some what normal life because of this book. Read it, do the homework and it WILL help you.
Jim Thomas
By the author of feeling good. His ideas are good and for the most part will work but there are still many who need medication. This country is without doubt overly medicated. So many of us aren't patient and hope pills are a quick fix. I like the author's ideas.
Debra
May 14, 2008 Debra rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with anxiety/depression concerns
I am currently reading this book with a couple of my psychotherapy clients so we can discuss the principles, case studies, etc. This is top of the line! Burns is one of the leading researchers on anxiety, and the CBT treatment is backed up by lots of empirical studies--it can change brain chemistry as do anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications. Enough for now.
A really good review of anxiety therapies broken down into cognitive vs. behavioral domains. Two annoying things: (1) the frequency with which Burns uses the phrase "put the lye to" and (2) the fact that he reports that many of his behavioral exposures would only work for "attractive/charming" people, but then he fails to provide alternative strategies.
Martin
Excellent self-help, with lots of mental exercises for challenging the "negative thoughts" and "self-defeating belief" that can cause anxiety, panic attacks, etc. You would probably need to read this book more than once, and use the exercises over a period of time, to get the full benefit. However it has helped me a lot personally.
William Prystauk
This is a wonderful work because it is another tool one can use in the battle with anxiety disorder, depression and even phobias. However, this is not a panacea. Regardless, one should leave with some fantastic new elements to help them overcome panic and such. Better still, the book is a good read and is easy to digest.
Dominica
Jan 24, 2008 Dominica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who worries a lot
Shelves: self-help
If you have any sort of troubles with depression/anxiety, I highly recommend this book. It was recommended to me by a friend to help with my anxieties of my upcoming wedding. I LOVE IT. I can't explain enough how helpful it is. It covers anything from chronic worrying to obsesive compulsive disorder. Phenomenal read.
Minnie
I READ THIS BOOK BECAUSE MY DAUGHTER HAD SUFFERED FROM PANIC ATTACKS. THE BOOK IS A CLEAR AND INFORMATIVE DISCUSSION OF THIS LITTLE UNDERSTOOD AFFLICTION. IT CONTAINS GOOD ADVICE BUT AS IS THE ASE WITH MOST SELF-HELP BOOKS YOU MUST BE PREPARED TO DO THE EXERCISES AND ASSIMILATE THE ADVICE.
  • How to Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
  • The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook
  • Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life
  • Hope and Help for Your Nerves
  • The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques: Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Anxious and What You Can Do to Change It
  • When Perfect Isn't Good Enough: Strategies for Coping with Perfectionism
  • Traumatic Stress: The Effects of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body, and Society
  • Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think
  • The Complexity of Cooperation: Agent-Based Models of Competition and Collaboration
  • Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma: The Innate Capacity to Transform Overwhelming Experiences
  • The As If Principle: The Radically New Approach to Changing Your Life
  • Why People Die by Suicide
  • Supercooperators: The Mathematics of Evolution, Altruism and Human Behaviour {Or, Why We Need Each Other to Succeed}
  • The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook
  • The Managed Heart: Commercialization of Human Feeling
  • The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know
  • Don't Panic: Taking Control of Anxiety Attacks
David D. Burns is an adjunct professor emeritus in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the Stanford University School of Medicine and the author of the best-selling book Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy. Burns popularized cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) when his book became a best seller during the 1980s.

Burns received his B.A. from Amherst College in 1964 and his M.D. fro
More about David D. Burns...
Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy The Feeling Good Handbook Ten Days to Self-Esteem Feeling Good Together: The Secret to Making Troubled Relationships Work Intimate Connections

“When you confront the monster you” 1 likes