Start by marking “O Ramo Verde (Trilogia A Árvore do Céu #2)” as Want to Read:
O Ramo Verde (Trilogia A Árvore do Céu #2)

O Ramo Verde (Heaven Tree #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  203 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Neste II Volume desta admirável trilogia o jovem Harry Talvace, filho do mestre canteiro de Ralf Isambard, que ergue a bela igreja de Parfois e foi condenado à morte pelo seu patrono, cresceu na corte de Llewellyn, príncipe do Norte de Gales. No fundo do seu coração alberga o desejo de vingança e depois de, inocentemente, se ter envolvido na tragédia que atinge o casamento ...more
Published 2006 by Bizâncio (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about O Ramo Verde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Ramo Verde

Gill
Sep 28, 2012 Gill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ep, other-times, 2012
I hesitated momentarily between 4 and 5 stars for this second in the Heaven Tree trilogy, but then realised I was comparing it to the first volume which I would have liked to have been able to award 6 stars out of 5, rather than with the multitude of other published books.

As usual Edith Pargeter's historical details, her writing and her characterisations are brilliant and very thorough. A few passages here made me aware that the same period and many if the same events told from another perspecti
Caroline
Set in the reign of Henry III, the Green Branch is a sequel to The Heaven Tree. The last book ended with gifted mason Harry Talvace being executed by Sir Ralf Isambard, while his family escaped over the border into Wales. Now Harry's son (also named Harry) has grown up under the protection of Prince Llewellyn and he has vowed vengeance. Harry attempts his revenge on Isambard, helped and hindered by Welsh border politics and the twisted character of Isambard himself.

The novel falls into roughly t
Ebookwormy
It's hard to write a good second book in a trilogy. The structure of this book lends credibility to Pargeter's comments that she wrote the first book, loved the characters and wanted to see what happened, and wrote the second part. But the second part was so long, it turned into two books.

The emotional plot climax is in the middle of this story and it's a doosey! The truly amazing thing about it is that the twist is a historical fact that Pargeter has fictionalized! These scenes, and how Pargete
Poli
Feb 10, 2016 Poli rated it liked it
The son's story is not as compelling as his father's.
Despite many similarities between the two characters the father made me like him right from the fist scene while the son is an acquired taste.
Another thing which bothers me is that unlike the first book, this one doesn't have an ending.
Still I want to know the rest of Isambard's road to redemption though I'd enjoy it much more if Harry never redeemed his captor's great sins.
Megan
Aug 09, 2015 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: half-finished
Just not that into it... More love/hate dynamics that I just don't want to read. I want my characters more complex than this--they are too focused on one aspect of their personality ('goodness', loyalty, stubbornness, jealousy, etc.) for my liking.
Stopped on page 85, though, so I suppose it might get better.
Threasa Jenkins
I enjoyed the book, but not as much as I did the first one. I am, however, looking forward to finishing the trilogy.
Penny
Oct 29, 2012 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
An excellent trilogy this. The story continues with young Harry Talevace, who was whisked from danger by his mother and Madonna Bernadetta as a baby. But he has a score to settle with the man who put to death his father and he means to carry it out no matter what. Unfortunately Ralf Isambard is a formidable enemy. It is hard to see which way the story will go! Love, hate, hate, love which is it???
A fantastic read, by a great historical writer. It keeps you guessing the whole way.
If you enjoy his
Kelly
Jan 09, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago, A compelling story, I re-read, loving it again.
Ursula Hull
Feb 02, 2014 Ursula Hull rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
See my comments on #3 in the trilogy.
Gigi  Berrett
Oct 03, 2011 Gigi Berrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the middle book of a trilogy. Really like her writing style. Kind of difficult, actually, but beautifully done and makes you think. A book to ponder and savor while reading. Good story too--I wanted to know what happened so I went right to the third book.
Teresa
Jul 06, 2015 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Há muito tempo que um livro não me tocava tão profundamente. É maravilhosa a forma, quase poética, com que a autora descreve pessoas, sentimentos, situações e uma época em que a palavra e a honra de um Homem o libertavam e o aprisionavam. Inesquecível!
Carla Nayland
Sequel to The Heaven Tree, continuing the story of Harry Talvace, master mason, and his patron and enemy Ralf Isambard. Review: http://www.carlanayland.org/reviews/g...
David Santiuste
The second part of Edith Pargeter's classic Heaven Tree trilogy. A marvellous book - a real pleasure to read.
Angela
A better book than the first, I think. (This is #2 of 3.)
Anders
Anders marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2016
Rui Gaiao
Rui Gaiao rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
lauren
lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Mavis Hewitt
Mavis Hewitt rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Josephine
Josephine marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Jessica Hilton
Jessica Hilton marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Adelina Esquibel
Adelina Esquibel marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Peter
Peter added it
Jun 13, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
May 25, 2016
Abby Rose
Abby Rose marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Chris Lang
Chris Lang rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Kara
Kara rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
  • The Running Vixen
  • The Confession of Brother Haluin (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #15)
  • A Tapestry of Murders (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury, #2)
  • The White Boar (Lovell Duo, #1)
  • The Brothers of Glastonbury (Roger the Chapman, #7)
  • Unicorn's Blood (David Becket and Simon Ames, #2)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • The Rebel Princess (Alais Capet, #2)
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
aka Peter Benedict, Jolyon Carr, Ellis Peters (later editions of her work are sometimes published under this pseudonym), and John Redfern

West Midlands Literary Heritage website biography

Novelist. Born September 1913 at Horsehay, Shropshire. Her father was a clerk at a local ironworks. Edith attended Dawley Church of England School and the Coalbrookdale High School for Girls. Through her mother, s
More about Edith Pargeter...

Heaven Tree (3 books)
  • The Heaven Tree (Heaven Tree, #1)
  • The Scarlet Seed (Heaven Tree, #3)

“Not his match! And have you not the heart in you to be anything but best? How many are his match? How many in this world do you think stand in the front rank? Are all the rest of us to give up and sit on our hands rather than serve humbly where we deserve?” 0 likes