Start by marking “At Bertram's Hotel: A Miss Marple Mystery” as Want to Read:
At Bertram's Hotel: A Miss Marple Mystery

At Bertram's Hotel: A Miss Marple Mystery (Miss Marple #11)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  16,930 Ratings  ·  772 Reviews
Miss Jane Marple has checked into Bertram's Hotel in London for a much-needed vacation. The last thing she expects is that this elegant establishment, known for its service and old-world charm, could be embroiled in scandal. But after a series of strange events—including the disappearance of a fellow guest, the arrival of a notorious celebrity bad boy, and finally, a shock ...more
Published September 17th 2007 by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about At Bertram's Hotel, please sign up.

Hannah Brown I'd absolutely loved the film of this book starring Geraldine Mac Ewan, however when I read the book, I did feel disappointed as to the plot and…moreI'd absolutely loved the film of this book starring Geraldine Mac Ewan, however when I read the book, I did feel disappointed as to the plot and characters. Definitely not her best, unfortunately.
I'd highly recommend- And Then There Were None and The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd, now these are proper good Christie's! (less)
Hannah Brown By a different title, do you mean a different dust jacket, imagery on the cover?? If so, then yes, Harper Collins have done a new cover to appeal to a…moreBy a different title, do you mean a different dust jacket, imagery on the cover?? If so, then yes, Harper Collins have done a new cover to appeal to a new generation of Christie readers. If you mean the name of the book, then as far as I'm aware At Bertram's Hotel is the books only name. The movies are also called this too. (less)

Raghad
Sep 04, 2016 Raghad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Raghad by: Ali AlShewail

حينما جاءت الآنسة ماربل إلى لندن لقضاء إجازة خاصة وجدت في فندق بيرترام كل ما تريد: الجو التقليدي والخدمة الراقية وذكريات الأيام القديمة.
لكن حاستها التي لا تخطئ تستشعر جواً من الخطر وراء المظاهر الخارجية البرّاقة للأشياء من حولها!

بالفعل , لم تخطئ الآنسة ماربل في حدسها
في فندق بيرترام أحدى القضايا التي تكون بسبب جنون إمرأة !!
وهي إحدى القضايا التي تتورط بها شابة طائشة بسبب الحب!
BrokenTune
Sep 08, 2015 BrokenTune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed

I put a spoiler warning on this post not so much because I will discuss the details of the plot but because I will discuss some of the characters in a way that will give away much of the conclusion. If you are planning to read the book, don't read any further. You have been warned.
(view spoile
Hannah
Jan 16, 2010 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I think I liked the idea of this book more than I actually enjoyed it. The feeling that there is something dark and thoroughly sinister behind the pleasant perfection of Bertram's Hotel and its highly trained staff maintained a heightened sense of suspense and kept the reader itching to find out what happened next.

Unfortunately, you'll reach a point when you find out the mystery is not as interesting or anywhere near as sinister as you thought it might be. (view spoiler)
mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You say you don’t like creative reviews. You say they distract from the passion, you say they aren’t real, you say they replace research with humor. You say they are a waste of time. Yet here you are, playing your little games.

If you are ashamed of yourself because it feels so good, choose http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

If you think hypocrisy is just another word for nothing left to lose, choose http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Cyndi
May 17, 2017 Cyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Yet another nephew pays for Miss Marple to take a vacation wherever she wants. She choose an old hotel. I would have chosen Italy, but that's just me.
Anyway, the hotel is full of interesting characters and a murderer. Miss Marple quickly locates the biggest gossips and gets to work.
Sophie Hannah
Aug 09, 2015 Sophie Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, though I can see that it's not one of Agatha's best plots. Miss Marple doesn't really solve the mystery - a policeman does. But as a novel, I think it's among Agatha's best, most balanced novels. The hotel atmosphere and descriptions of London, and several of the characters, are just brilliantly done. It was v gripping and huge fun to read.
Andrea
Mar 29, 2017 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-read-aloud
3.5 Stars
Madeline
Nov 13, 2010 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always grateful when I find a Miss Marple book where the title sleuth gets to actually be present for about half the story - this one, in fact, featured Miss Marple more than any of her other mysteries I've read. She still disappears for lengthy amounts of time, but this time it actually feels purposeful. Miss Marple doesn't appear at certain points because the other characters are busy doing important things, things that Miss Marple can't be present for because then the mystery would be ove ...more
D.G.
**2.5 stars**

This is probably one of the worst books by Agatha Christie I have read. The mystery was boring and the murder came too late. And it was so obvious who the murderer was! Worst, there wasn't conclusive proof that could put the villain in jail, only a policeman's vow that he would find a way.

I didn't rate it worse because I loved this quote - which I found terrible but truthful:

Tijana
Pozna Agata sa - za taj period - standardnim prosedeom u kome se dosta krše ruke nad ovom novom omladinom što sluša Bitlse i ponavljaju žalopojke za predratnom kuhinjom i predratnim nameštajem. Gđica Marpl šarmantna kao i uvek, ali glavni zaplet malo previše maskiran sporednim.
Alaine
Feb 06, 2014 Alaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miss-marple
It seems Miss Marple has become a secondary character. I wish we had more time with her thoughts than with Inspector Davy.
Shalini
Jul 09, 2009 Shalini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all cozy mystery fans
Thoroughly enjoyed this BBC adaptation of a book that I had read and enjoyed at least on 2 prior occasions. Thankfully I didnot remember the perpetrators, and was pleasantly surprised at the end, as I failed to get to the core of the mystery.
This book combines all cozy things - childhood reminiscences, a two week hotel stay vacation (how I wish I had an opportunity like that), a cozy mystery to occupy oneself, and a murder.
Miss Marple is gifted a well deserved vacation for two weeks by her write
Lobstergirl
Jul 01, 2014 Lobstergirl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lobstergirl by: Petro Poroshenko

This book did make me hungry for hearty English breakfasts, the kind they serve at Bertram's Hotel.

It's one of Christie's later novels; the Beatles get a mention, so we know it's the early sixties. Yet the old world lingers: girls under 21 are frowned on if they go out without chaperones, and women who have more than just a handful of lovers during their whole lives are "nymphomaniacs." Christie had issues. Miss Marple mostly just sits on her ass in this one, informing a detective that a young g
Eustacia Tan
Jun 16, 2017 Eustacia Tan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nlb-ereads
I liked the previous Miss Marple book that I read so much I immediately borrowed another!

At Bertram's Hotel takes place in London, where Miss Marple is on holiday. The main 'mystery' for most of the book is the disappearance of a clergyman, who is later found alive (but concussed). There is a murder, but it happens towards the end.

I've gotta say, the twist in this story is a lot more incredible than it is in The Body in the Library. But, it was set up well by Chief-Inspector Davy/Father and I de
Ririn
3.75*

A very slow read.

I know that Miss Marple's series were quiet cozy and the investigations were done in the ordinary style (except for the interference of Miss Marple, of course!), but in this one, the introduction and setup took more than half of the book! The actions only get going after 60% into the story.

But this being an Agatha Christie book, you can bet there would be some good actions and unveiling, even if it was at the end of the book.

This is a mild mystery, and for the first tim
Lexie
Mar 28, 2017 Lexie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2017
Little crime, little Marple, little mystery.

I am displeased, Mrs. Christie.
Caitlin
May 05, 2014 Caitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At a young age, I fell in love with the elderly sleuth, Miss Marple. I first discovered her through the miniseries that aired on PBS in the early 2000s. It starred Geraldine McEwan as Jane Marple and featured an array of superb British actors. Not until I was in my twenties did I start to read the actual books on which the miniseries was based. Now that I’ve devoured several Miss Marple mysteries, I have a new appreciation for Agatha Christie and her ability to write books that are both deliciou ...more
Susan
Nov 01, 2011 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel bad for not liking this book, so to make myself feel better, I'm going to brainstorm the reasons why.
1) I don't think I've ever read a proper mystery before, much less an Agatha Christie mystery, so I feel I was a bit lacking in my prior knowledge of the author's style.
2) Maybe I should have read this book in one sitting, because I didn't really follow it too well. Maybe I forgot important overheard conversations, etc., but the main reason I didn't enjoy the book is because I pretty much
Ali Aljamri
عنوان الكتاب: جريمة قصر
المؤلّف: أجاثا كريستي
ترجمة: عمرو يوسف
مطبعة: مكتبة معروف

مقدّمة

بدايةً حتى أكون منصفاً؛ إذ لا أحبُّ أن أحاكم موضوعاً لستُ مطّلعاً على أطرافه و لا أَزِنَ أمراً بغيرِ موازينه، فينبغي أن أوضح بعض النقاط :
أولاً: قرأتُ هذا الكتاب للمرّة الثانية خلال هذا العام،
المرّةُ الأولى كانت قراءة اطلاعيّة استغرق منّي بضعَ سويعات من ليلةٍ و كنت مستغرقاً في أحداث القصّة
و هذه القراءة لم تختلف كثيراً إلّا أني توقفت و لاحظت بعض الملاحظات التي تخصّ البناء التحليلي للرواية الأدبيّة عموماً.

ثان
First Second Books
This is one of my favorite Agatha Christie books – I think for no other reason than that I want to stay at this hotel! Well – I also do think that the mother/daughter relationship is really interestingly done, and who doesn’t love a good noble sacrifice?

But still: the descriptions of muffins are what stays with you.
Mary Grand
May 26, 2016 Mary Grand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, not sure why they have re titled it as Hotel Betram...it's real title is At Betram's Hotel. I went to stay in a hotel in London and it was a good book to read ! Have read it before but defianetly one of Agatha Christie's best
Τζο
Jan 11, 2015 Τζο rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Miss Marple makes a guest apperance in this one, which is why i gave it a 2.5 star review. The story wasnt as interesting as i wanted it.Nothing actually happened, as in other books, to keep me interested but i did finish it because Christie's excellent writing skill never stops to amaze me.
Stacy
Very little action until the last quarter of the book. Miss Marple was a minor character in this. It was just okay.
Bev
"So, there was something wrong with this place?"
"There was and is everything wrong with it."
Miss Marple sighed, "It seemed wonderful at first--unchanged you know--like stepping back into the past--to the part of the past that one had loved and enjoyed."

On the surface Bertram's Hotel represents an Edwardian past that many Londoner hated to see go. Here, elderly ladies like Miss Jane Marple can come and be pampered with real buttered muffins and chambermaids and rooms with all the comforts they re
Laurel Young
Sep 06, 2010 Laurel Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Madhulika Liddle
Miss Marple comes up to London for a brief holiday at the luxuriously old-fashioned Bertram’s Hotel, where everything—from Henry, who presides over tea (with real muffins and seed cake), to the efficient Miss Gorringe at the reception desk, down to the bemedalled ex-army man commissionaire, Michael Gorman—evokes the charm and perhaps illusory perfection of an era long past.

But all is not well in this paradise, at least with some of the patrons who come here. The absent-minded Canon Pennyfather,
Luffy
Sep 12, 2012 Luffy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this particular story very much. Not the most imaginative beginning to a review but that's the first thing I wanted to say! Gone here, are the orderly presentations of suspects. Mrs Agatha Christie here departs from her usual structure-although the style is as sterling as ever- and I can't for the life of me imagine who was she copying with such a fearless endeavor.

While reading the bits where Miss Marple appears, I was regretting that she doesn't exist-she is a relic as much as the Ho
Duncan
Dec 21, 2010 Duncan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Joan Acocella article I referenced several months ago, Joan writes that Agatha did not exactly finish strong, with her best work written at the beginning and during the middle of her career. I agree, and am forced to suggest that "At Bertram's Hotel" is a minor work at best. Or perhaps I should suggest instead that it is an "interesting" work. It does not quicken one's pulse, and one isn't compelled to turn the page -- I found myself putting it down far more often than, say, "Pocket Full ...more
Dahl
Sep 23, 2011 Dahl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: policiaca-negra
Hay gente que critíca las novelas de Agatha Christie y eso es algo que siempre me sorprende. Algunos dicen que las tramas son repetitivas, otros que el final es previsible. Hay quién simplemente cree que sus novelas están pasadas de moda.

Luego estamos nosotros, los que creemos que estas novelas jamás pasaran de moda. Los que empezamos a leer a Poirot o Marple con 15 ó 19 ó 23 años y poquito a poco, novela tras novela, nos hemos ido enamorando. Forman parte de nuestra historia porque un día leímo
Gina
Jan 29, 2011 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marple
The Agatha Christ...: August 2015: At Bertram's Hotel 9 17 Aug 28, 2015 12:07AM
The French Phrase 4 29 Jan 03, 2015 01:18PM
  • Last Ditch (Roderick Alleyn, #29)
  • Champagne for One (Nero Wolfe, #31)
  • Busman's Honeymoon (Lord Peter Wimsey, #13)
  • To Love and Be Wise (Inspector Alan Grant, #4)

More about Agatha Christie...

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Body in the Library (Miss Marple, #3)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #4)
  • A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)

“I learned (what I suppose I really knew already) that one can never go back, that one should not ever try to go back—that the essence of life is going forward. Life is really a One Way Street, isn’t it?” 11 likes
“… one can never go back, that one should not ever try to go back – that the essence of life is going forward. Life is really a One Way Street.” 6 likes