Start by marking “Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1)” as Want to Read:
Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab,  #1)

Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  13,004 ratings  ·  524 reviews
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Karen chance has written a paranormal-with bite. Dorina Basarab is a dhampir-half-human, half-vampire. Unlike most dhampirs, though, Dory has managed to maintain her sanity. Now Dory's vampire father has come to her for help- again. Her Uncle Dracula (yes, the Dracula), cruelest among vampires, has escaped his prison. And her ...more
Published October 7th 2008 by Onyx Books

To ask other readers questions about Midnight's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight's Daughter

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
This book has led me to a very important decision: I’m going to learn to speak Romanian. It may take me a while, but I’m incredibly stubborn, and if I start now I can be fluent in a couple of years. (view spoiler)
Anyway, I want to learn Romanian just to be able to whisper to Mircea in his native language when he visits me in my dreams add it to my CV. It’s a beautiful language and I was al
Mel
I love love love this book!
This is a great story for people who love urban fantasy. It's action packed, fast paced and the plot is well thought out. Plus it has a lot of wit and sarcasm, which makes it a typical Karen Chance book. She has the wonderful ability of getting you soaked up in a fantasy world with a variety of creatures and serious problems, but still she keeps a funny edge, never taking herself too seriously. The inclusion of characters like Olga (hilarious), Radu (you can't help bu
VampireNovelFan
My socks have been rocked!

""I ran out of stock around midnight and dropped by a place, got some Chinese." I hoped he meant takeout...."Mu-shu pork" he told me indignantly."

I held off from immediately jumping into the Dorina Basarb series, a spin-off of the Cassie Palmer novels by Karen Chance, for a couple of reasons:

1)I have some quirks with the Cassie Palmer books that I feared could spill over into this series

and

2)I wasn't sure if I wanted to invest in a series with such a long wait betwe
LooLoo
More like a 3.5 star rating. I'm giving this 4 stars only because we can't give half a star ratings and 3 is too low. There is something about this and the Cassie Palmer series that just wears me out. I think it's too fast paced and too busy for me. Maybe if I were a slower reader and gave it more time to sink in but instead it just kind of wears on me.
Julie (jjmachshev)
Very, very hard to review this book. I gobbled up Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer series and am anxiously awaiting book four to be released in April 2009. So I jumped on "Midnight's Daughter" which is an offshoot of that series. Technically, this is a standalone novel. But IMHO, you really should read about Cassie and that world before taking on Dorina. It provides a deeper insight into her world and events that have shaped the actions and intentions of some characters in her book.

Dorina is a dhamp
Paula
This is one of the best urban fantasy series and one of my most favorites. I love Dorina and Louis-Cesare. I always have a blast revisiting this world. I highly recommend this book for urban fantasy lovers who love kick-ass chicks, sexy and dangerous vampires, a touch of romance, and action packed from beginning to end. Karen Chance is one of the most talented writers of urban fantasy right up there with Ilona Andrews and Jim Butcher......... Obviously, I love this book/series! :D

Awesome quotes:
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
You know what's weird? Considering how many reviews I've written—especially this year after I set it as my New Year's Resolution to review every single book I read—what's weird is that most of my all-time favourite books don't even have a review at all because I read them waaaay before I discovered the joys of reviewing or having a virtual Goodreads bookshelf to keep a record of my books and ratings. So my favourites, like this one, just got slapped with an automatic 5-star rating based on hazy ...more
Shannon C.
4.5 stars: Love, love this new urban fantasy series!

This series has it all--high action, adventure, fantasy, mystery, a little romance--wow! Loved it--couldn't put it down. It is set in the same world as the Cassandra Palmer series by the same author.

The main character is strong, humorous, imperfect and likeable. She is a kick b*tt character, reminicent of Kate Daniels (another fav UF series). I also liked seeing more of Louis Ceasar and Micea who were in the other series. And I liked the hint
Cheryl
Dorina Basarab is back in a whole new series. Midnight’s Daughter is the first book in this series. For those of you who have not read Karen Chance’s first trilogy, then let me tell you a little bit about Dorina.

Dorina is a dhampir. What is a dhampir? Think of a dhampir like Wesley Snipes’s character “Blade”, someone who is half human and half vampire. Dory likes what she does by taking out the bad guys one by one. Dory is also a bit of a loner but that’s just the way she likes it. Out of the b
Starfish
Atrocious. Really. Author cuts all sorts of corners, using black-outs and convenient memory dumps to garner sympathy for her main characters, while telling constantly. She also puts the entire novel in at high gear, but when all of Dorina's allies end up dead, she's got no weapons, is horribly injured and weak and has no options -- for the third time in short succession in the book -- well. You're less concerned, more, right then. Get on with it.

There were two things I liked about the book -- m
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Why, oh why, did I wait so long to pick up this book? I am a big fan of Karen Chance’s Cassie Palmer books and this is a spinoff from that series. It exists in the same world, featuring Mircea’s daughter Dory as the main protagonist. Simply put, it has all the awesome of the Cassie books without the headache from all that time travel.

Dory is a dhampir, a part human, part vampire hybrid. Her kind is rare and reviled by humans and vamps alike. She is nearly immortal and has super-senses… plus she
Anita
Oct 13, 2008 Anita rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PRN/urban fantasy fans
Another great novel by Karen Chance. Ms. Chance has written at least 3 different story lines from 1st person perspectives that all happen within the same 'verse. The first novels three were from Cassandra's perspective, then there's a short story from Claire's perspective, and here is a novel from Dorina's perspective. All three have overlapping characters, which gives the reader a chance to get to know supporting characters better because you see them through different people's eyes.

This book w
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Dorina Basarab is a rare breed; dhampir, half human and half vampire. Hated by vampires but unable to fit in with humans she has carved her self out a niche; hunting rogue vampires, not something that endears her to the vamp. But, when her father come calling needing her help with a family matter, her ruthless and insane uncle the Dracula has escaped from his prison and is once again on the loose and gunning for all those who helped imprison him, with Dory at the top of the list...

What a fantast
Steph
Midnight's Daughter introduces us to Dorina Basarab. Think the name sounds familiar? That's because, if you have read Karen's Cassandra Palmer series, you've already met Dory's Daddy - Mircea Basarab. Dory's a dhampir - ½human, ½vamp - who experience uncontrollable rages and typically have a short live span. Dory, on the other hand, has lived for 500 yrs.

When Dory's best friend and roomie goes missing she goes on the hunt to find out what's happened. Mircea approaches her with an offer she cann
Janice • The Demon Librarian
Fasten your seatbelts, folks, because you're in for a wild, chaotic ride. The first in a spinoff series set in the same world as Chance's Cassie Palmer, "Midnight's Daughter" focuses on the adventures dhampir Dorina Basarab and features several characters Cassie Palmer fans will recognize - namely, Mircea and Louis-Cesare (among others).

There's so much action in this book, the pace so relentless, it's almost overwhelming - but that seems to be Chance's MO, because she does the same thing in her
Heather
Like Karen Chance's other books, this one has complex, interesting characters, lots of great action, and a plot that is anything but predictable. Dory is tough, but still likeable. Although the "tough chick with a vulnerable side" may sound cliche, Dory never once comes across as cliche in the book. She's easily one of my favorite female urban fantasy characters. The action in this book is nicely balanced with the plot development, humor, and the characters' background stories. There's always en ...more
Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus
I really really enjoyed the book. I was very hesitant in reading this due to the Cassie Palmer series, because I had serious issues with those books.

But this book was surprisingly different. And with Cassie Palmer series I hated her, she irritated me to tears. But with Dorina I LOVED her. In the worst of times she still made wise crack comments that had me laughing.

I have to give a shout out to Mel – Your constant good reviews of this book made me read it.

And to Heidi for telling me I would def
Isa Lavinia

actual rating 4.5 stars

I absolutely LOVE this series - at the moment, this and Downside Ghosts are the only Urban Fantasy series that haven't disappointed me *cough cough* Kate Daniels *cough cough* . And, as usual, when I love something, I keep postponing my reviews because distance helps me get out of the ~omg fangirl!!!~ mindset and see the series strengths more clearly.

Karen Chance introduces us to the peculiar life of Dorina Basarab, a Dhampir - daughter of the vampire Senator Mircea Basa
Mariya
“Ah yes, my dear demented relatives. Drac, the homicidal maniac, Radu, the poncy lunatic, and dear, cowardly Daddy, sending us off to manage what he doesn’t dare to face himself.” I smiled, deliberately provocative. “Just imagine, I’m actually the normal one. Sort of like that blond chick on The Munsters .”

I didn't realize how incredibly awesome the spin off to Cassandra Palmer was going to be! Let's just say I was most definitely blown away! There were many laughable funny moments and I love t
May Mostly Romance
Midnight's Daughter ของคาเรน เชนส์

หนังสือเล่มนี้เป็นเล่มแรกในหนังสือชุดแนว Urban Fantasy ที่เล่าเรื่องราวของดอริน่า บาสารับ ซึ่งลูกครึ่งแวมไพร์ กับมนุษย์ หรือที่เรียกกันว่า Dhampir แต่หนังสือชุดนี้ก็ยังมีความเกี่ยวข้องกับหนังสืออีกชุดนึงของนักเขียนคนเดียวกัน นั่นก็คือชุดแคสซี่ พาลเมอร์ โดยดอรี่เป็นลูกสาวของคนที่คาดว่าจะเป็นพระเอกในชุดแคสซี่ (ที่ต้องใช้คำว่าคาด เพราะมันไม่มีความแน่นอนในหนังสือแนว UF หรอกค่ะ)

หากจะบอกว่าดอริน่าเกิดมาพร้อมกับยีนส์ที่ผิดปกติก็อาจจะว่าได้ เพราะลูกครึ่งแวมไพร์กับมนุษย์
Starry
Louis-Cesare-vampire,
Mircea-dorina's daddy
Marlowe-dory knows him,vamp,
Radu-mircea's brother
Dracula-mirceas brother,crazy vamp.,mircea sent dory and louis-cesare to track him down
Kristie-was told by senate that if she help dory complete the mission,she is free of all charges(all charges for her shall be dropped)-got killed
Jos-was told by senate that if he help dory complete the mission,he is
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
Dory was a great character, i still love cassie more but dory was still awesome.

its interesting to get little glimpses of her long life and the horrible things that have happened in the past. Mircea seem's like a completely different person and it makes me feel like his feelings towards cassie might not be real and im glad dory didnt fall for them as well.

Louis-Cesare seemed completely different compared to how we first meet him in the cassie series, than again i think he might be - in the cassi
Kim
I don't know if it's my fault, because i didn't. like. this. book.
I found the book's plot confusing, and hence, terribly boring. Vampires which never mentioned drinking blood? Some random demon with fur (how about rabbits instead)? While reading this book, I found myself constantly staring at the floor - the floor in my house that i grew up and walked on for a hell longer than 10 years - which I found much more interesting than the action-packed storyline that i was supposed to love.
Also, the ma
Gabrielle
Louis-Caesar!!! Louis-Caesar!! Louis-Caesar! (Do you hear that echo? It's my love reverberating across all of goodreads.) Oh, Louis-Caesar, how I love thee.

Ok, simmer down, Self. So, I was wondering where he went when I was reading the Cassandra Palmer series. Seriously, it was infuriating me. He is one of my favorite characters from the series . . . and he was nowhere to be seen since book one. Well. Now I know why. And I'm extremely grateful. I mean, really. He is not secondary-character statu
Martina the Book Fairy
Just finished Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, Dhampir, Book 1) by Karen Chance which I give 4 stars. If you read the Cassandra Palmer series, you'll be happy to note that this is a spin-off of that series. While the main character is different and you probably can read this series without reading the Cassie series, I'm inclined to think that understanding this book is a lot easier if you read the Cassie series first. Because I'm feeling lazy, here's the blurb from the back of the book:

"Dor
Timmysparks
I had to debate a lot whether to read this book now or not. I was really into reading the Cassandra Palmer series but I love to read books in chronological order so I ended up pausing Cassie's books to read this one.

Louis-Cesare was one of the main reason's I decided to read this book. I was very intrigued by him in Touch the Dark. There was a lot of mystery to his character that I found really interesting.

There was so much to Louis-Cesare. His whole history is one tragic story of repeated aban
Lately I've been dabbling in various paranormal/urban fantasy series, and I have to say that thus far Karen Chance is hands down my favorite author in the genre.

If you liked the Cassie Palmer series, then you more than likely would like this series as well. Also, I tend to agree with the other reviews I've read here in that, while this is pretty much a stand alone book, reading the Cassie Palmer books first is quite helpful as far as introducing one to a lot of the characters they'll meet as we
Jaime
I ordered this book because I enjoyed the author’s Cassandra Palmer series. Though at times that series strained my patience with constant time traveling, it was still a fresh urban fantasy with new twists on vampires, fey and whatnot. Midnight’s Daughter is the first in a spin-off of that series starring a new protagonist, the half vampire (dhampir) daughter of the master vampire, Mircea. Dhampirs are natural enemies of vampires, and subject to homicidal rages that they don’t remember. Cool.

I w
Lorre
I love Karen Chance's Cassandra Palmer series so I was really looking forward to read the Dorina Basarab series.
This series is in the same world as the Cassandra Palmer series and some of the same charachters that I already love so much in the Palmer series come back in this one.

Dorina (or Dory as she calls herself) is a Dhampir, a half-breed born from a vampire and a human. Normally vampires are infertile except in the very beginning when they are turned.
Even if she is half vampire, she despise
  • Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
  • Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4)
  • A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Nightwalker (Dark Days, #1)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1)
  • Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in ...more
More about Karen Chance...

Dorina Basarab (4 books)
  • Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • Untitled (Dorina Basarab #4)
Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3) Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4) Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2) Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)

“My lord...I can explain-," Louis-Cesare began, looking less than certain that he could do anything of the kind.
Radu held up a hand. "I am sure there is a perfectly good reason why my niece is naked and tied to her bed. I am also equally certain that I do not wish to hear it".”
203 likes
“I glanced at Radu. "What, exactly is Louis-Cesare's problem?'. [..]
Suddenly a speculative gleam lit his eyes. It made me nervous. 'He tends to be very protective of women,"he said thoughtfully. "You're a woman Dory."
"Thank you for pointing that out. But I didn't think dhampirs qualified."
Radu smirked. "It appears you've been upgraded.”
67 likes