Start by marking “Night Magic” as Want to Read:
Night Magic

Night Magic

Combining elements of Phantom of the Opera and Beauty and the Beast, this is a modern fairy tale for adults. It is romantic, erotic, mysterious, and moving. A beautiful, sensitive young girl falls in love with a brilliant older man who is so profoundly scarred both physically and emotionally that he literally cannot face the light of day. Despite his deep apprehensions, he ...more
Published April 29th 2009 by Island Nation Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Night Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Magic

Rachael Stein
Jul 19, 2012 Rachael Stein rated it did not like it
I don't remember what made me think of this book again, but I used to love it in middle school. Looking back on it as an adult, I realize that (a.) it's awful, (b.) it's creepy, and (c.) it encourages some terrible, terrible behavior vis-a-vis romantic relationships. Between this, V.C. Andrews, and Robert Heinlein, it's no wonder I had some seriously suspect ideas about relationship norms. Let's just that say I didn't see any freaking rainbows when I lost my virginity, but maybe it's because I w ...more
Jeanne
Apr 23, 2007 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
The quotes at the beginning of this book are from The Phantom of the Opera and Beauty and the Beast . Serving as the inspiration, the story follows a young woman (16-35 years old) as she falls in love with an older, disfigured, man.

The man was 7 when his parents were killed in a horrible accident. Even after years of surgeries and grafts, his face is still unpresentable. He grows up in boarding school, goes to college, and starts a career as an architect. He tries to operate with as little con
Michelle
Apr 28, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
I first read this book back in 1990, back when I first got into the story of the Phantom of the Opera. It's a modern retelling of the story that features Erik D'Anton a brilliant architect and musician who was disfigured in a horrible car accident at the age of 7 and Marisa, the young woman who falls in love with him. Both have to fight their own demons throughout the book in order to make everything work out between them. It's a well-written book with some interesting twists and turns. I defini ...more
xxkattiaxx
Aug 24, 2013 xxkattiaxx rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Die-hard PoTO phans looking for a phix
Recommended to xxkattiaxx by: Happenstance
I fell in love with this book when I was in high school; the phantom-vibe of it totally won me over, and I count it as one of my favorite books of ALL TIME. However, the book definitely has some major flaws and sticking plot points that make for a terrible read.

Once the hero and heroine are together, there seems to be no driving catalyst to keep the story going. They're together, they're wealthy, they have great friends--the end. Or, at least, it should have been... Valiantly though, Vale Allen
Avon Gale
Nov 12, 2016 Avon Gale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nostalgia-ho
I read this book when I was about 13, so 1990 or so (it came out in 1989), because I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera -- like, I had 3284343 stories featuring a similar theme written in a variety of notebooks, featuring captive ballerinas or singers taken to a mysterious lair by a scarred musician who composed sonatas by candlelight. It was a thing. So I saw this book was on KU, and I decided to devote my Friday night to reading it (I live the exciting life, right?)

I very quickly remem
Very sweet, perhaps not something I would like to reread, but the characters are both very flawed (I very much disliked the heroine, but still enjoyed reading). It is nice to read a romance novel that deals with an actual marriage and life and compromises.
Susan
Jul 30, 2011 Susan rated it it was ok
Not as good as many of her books. A take-off on Phantom of the Opera. Main character is arrested developmentally due to event in early childhood. A bit too clingy for my liking.
Melissa
Aug 14, 2007 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible dribble. Only to be read when you're feeling brain dead. oh I rhymed!
Krista
Oct 29, 2016 Krista rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I stumbled upon this in teh plugs on my GoodReads page, and remembered I'd read this book years ago. It's a phantom of the Opera tribute, and while the story isn't life-changing here, I still remember it with affection.
Robin
Aug 18, 2016 Robin rated it did not like it
The quintessential 1980s vanity story. Especially when you see the 'postcards' to send to the author at the end of the book saying how much you liked it. I have never seen such an ego-trip in a book since.

It reads more like a high school writing project than any sort of better-written novel. The two main characters are written in a way that is very shallow considering that a publisher approved this book to print. Erik and Marisa are not very given to maturing in this book. It might be loosely-ba
Rebecca
Jun 21, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was ok
The author stated this book would reflect the Phantom of the Opera/Beauty and the Beast story that I hold so dear to my heart. The basic premise does include some Phantom-esque dynamics, but the story quickly fails to keep up with the heart of the original story. First of all, I bothered me to no end that she would keep the name of the main character, Erik, but change the name of his love interest to something other than Christine. It just felt wrong, the entire time. We first meet Marisa when s ...more
Alexandria
Feb 10, 2010 Alexandria rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Phantom Lovers
Right, so at first one I had finished this book I HATED it. I mean, it seemed so unrealistic and far-fetched and some of the stuff was just plain stupid (and it still is). But after thinking about it, all in all it was an OK read, despite the wacky story-line.

It follows the life of Marisa (who is pretty much Christine) from when she first meets Erik when she is 17 to when she is around 35.

It follows the ups and downs of their life both before and after they are married.

I love The Phantom of t
LA
Jan 13, 2013 LA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NO SPOILERS: A REVIEW SHOULD NOT TELL THE STORY! THAT'S WHY YOU READ THE BOOK. A "modern" version of Phantom of the Opera (set in the 80's, a time of records, cassette tape decks, and no cell phones). Better than I expected. LOVED the characters, especially "The Phantom." Bravo to Charlotte Vale Allen; he is graphically, grotesquely disfigured, yet I was instantly in love/lust with him. Pretty steamy with minimal tacky or ridiculous descriptions (for the most part). If you're looking for more Ph ...more
Amy
I've had this book for over 10 years. I read it once a year. I love it for the nostalgia of it, but it does have some troublesome topics and the vernacular used makes it a little creepy. This book speaks to a very dark deep part of me that revels in taboo topics. It's not the best, and it doesn't age well because of the topics at hand, but it's a book I read because I love the characters and the overall story.
Pamela
Mar 17, 2010 Pamela rated it it was amazing
I read this probably 15 years ago and I need to read it again. Since my favorite fairy tale is Beauty and the Beast....I loved this book which is a retelling of the fairy tale mixed with a Phantom of the Opera kind of twist too....I remember just LOVING this book....
Loverlypurple
Jul 19, 2010 Loverlypurple rated it it was ok
This was a hard book to get through as I kept not liking where the story was headed. So I would stop reading it for a while and read a different book. When I finally managed to get to the end I was a bit disappointed at the abrupt ending, wanted more.
Jill Miller
Jan 06, 2010 Jill Miller rated it really liked it
Phantom of the Operaesque, in a more modern setting. Although a bit silly and unrealistic, this book is nevertheless engrossing and enchanting. It is one of the very few books that I have read more than once.
Barbra
May 12, 2008 Barbra rated it really liked it
I love this author's books. Great read.

Back Cover Blurb:
The story of a sensitive young girl who falls in love with a brilliant older man who is scarred both physically and emotionally. It really is an engrossing, touching novel.
MAP
Aug 25, 2011 MAP rated it did not like it
POTO-like story set in the 1960s-1980s. Which makes the 32 year old man sneaking off to have sex with the 16/17 year old really really creepy. And then they get married when she's 18 and then...nothing happens for the rest of the book. What??
Nefret
Ich hätte die ersten Seite nicht einfach überfliegen sollen. Dann hätte ich nämlich mitbekommen, dass Marisa in den folgenden Kapiteln nicht 13, sondern 16 Jahre alt ist. So hatte ich aber meine Probleme mit dem Beginn der Liebesgeschichte. Später war der erste Eindruck schwer abzuschütteln.
Elf
Jun 27, 2007 Elf rated it it was amazing
A rather well done modern Phantom of the Opera related novel. It was probably the third one that I managed to hunt down. Very much in the romance catagory which I normally don't like but I have to admit, the idea of Erik can draw me in to almost anything.
Tiffany
Jan 23, 2015 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
I love the love story. Yeah it is a bit controversial considering how young the reader is compared to her husband. But overall, i enjoyed it :)
Sa
Dec 04, 2009 Sa rated it really liked it
i was never a fan of Phantom of the Opera but I did enjoy this book, yes it's a bit hokey, but I liked it. I've read way worse
Amanda
Aug 25, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
I love this book. It reminds me, in a way, of Phantom of the Opera. I've read it several timesm and it's always good.
Sweet
Sweet rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2016
Cynthia Shutts
Cynthia Shutts rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2012
Lefftsan
Lefftsan rated it it was ok
May 13, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2008
  • Chanson de L'Ange
  • Madrigal: A Novel of Gaston LeRoux's the Phantom of the Opera
  • Letters to Erik: The Ghost's Love Story
  • Dark Memories (The Phantom Diaries, #2)
  • Beauty
  • No Return: A Contemporary Phantom Tale
  • Lost Warriors (Conard County, #5)
  • Night of the Phantom
  • Jewelry: Fundamentals of Metalsmithing
  • Snowbound
  • Secret Admirer
  • Why We Love the Dogs We Do: How to Find the Dog That Matches Your Personality
  • Till the Stars Fall (Hometown Memories #3)
  • The Music of the Night (Night, #2)
Charlotte Vale-Allen was born in Toronto and lived in England from 1961 to 1964 where she worked as a television actress and singer. She returned to Toronto briefly, performing as a singer and in cabaret revues until she emigrated to the United States in 1966.

Shortly after her marriage to Walter Allen in 1970 she began writing and sold her first novel Love Life in 1974. Prior to this book's public
More about Charlotte Vale Allen...

“Pushing his face against Raskin’s, his whisper a maniacal shriek, he demanded, “Who could want to see this? Who?” 0 likes
“he’d tried to teach her to be as thoughtful of his employees as she was of him and of her friends;” 0 likes