Start by marking “Night Magic” as Want to Read:
Night Magic

Night Magic

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Combining elements of Phantom of the Opera and Beauty and the Beast, this is a modern fairy tale for adults. It is romantic, erotic, mysterious, and moving. A beautiful, sensitive young girl falls in love with a brilliant older man who is so profoundly scarred both physically and emotionally that he literally cannot face the light of day. Despite his deep apprehensions, he ...more
Published April 29th 2009 by Island Nation Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Night Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Magic

Rachael Stein
I don't remember what made me think of this book again, but I used to love it in middle school. Looking back on it as an adult, I realize that (a.) it's awful, (b.) it's creepy, and (c.) it encourages some terrible, terrible behavior vis-a-vis romantic relationships. Between this, V.C. Andrews, and Robert Heinlein, it's no wonder I had some seriously suspect ideas about relationship norms. Let's just that say I didn't see any freaking rainbows when I lost my virginity, but maybe it's because I w ...more
Jeanne
The quotes at the beginning of this book are from The Phantom of the Opera and Beauty and the Beast . Serving as the inspiration, the story follows a young woman (16-35 years old) as she falls in love with an older, disfigured, man.

The man was 7 when his parents were killed in a horrible accident. Even after years of surgeries and grafts, his face is still unpresentable. He grows up in boarding school, goes to college, and starts a career as an architect. He tries to operate with as little cont
Michelle
I first read this book back in 1990, back when I first got into the story of the Phantom of the Opera. It's a modern retelling of the story that features Erik D'Anton a brilliant architect and musician who was disfigured in a horrible car accident at the age of 7 and Marisa, the young woman who falls in love with him. Both have to fight their own demons throughout the book in order to make everything work out between them. It's a well-written book with some interesting twists and turns. I defini ...more
Rebecca
The author stated this book would reflect the Phantom of the Opera/Beauty and the Beast story that I hold so dear to my heart. The basic premise does include some Phantom-esque dynamics, but the story quickly fails to keep up with the heart of the original story. First of all, I bothered me to no end that she would keep the name of the main character, Erik, but change the name of his love interest to something other than Christine. It just felt wrong, the entire time. We first meet Marisa when s ...more
Very sweet, perhaps not something I would like to reread, but the characters are both very flawed (I very much disliked the heroine, but still enjoyed reading). It is nice to read a romance novel that deals with an actual marriage and life and compromises.
Susan
Not as good as many of her books. A take-off on Phantom of the Opera. Main character is arrested developmentally due to event in early childhood. A bit too clingy for my liking.
Melissa
Horrible dribble. Only to be read when you're feeling brain dead. oh I rhymed!
xxkattiaxx
Aug 24, 2013 xxkattiaxx rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Die-hard PoTO phans looking for a phix
Recommended to xxkattiaxx by: Happenstance
I fell in love with this book when I was in high school; the phantom-vibe of it totally won me over, and I count it as one of my favorite books of ALL TIME. However, the book definitely has some major flaws and sticking plot points that make for a terrible read.

Once the hero and heroine are together, there seems to be no driving catalyst to keep the story going. They're together, they're wealthy, they have great friends--the end. Or, at least, it should have been... Valiantly though, Vale Allen
Alexandria
Feb 10, 2010 Alexandria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Phantom Lovers
Right, so at first one I had finished this book I HATED it. I mean, it seemed so unrealistic and far-fetched and some of the stuff was just plain stupid (and it still is). But after thinking about it, all in all it was an OK read, despite the wacky story-line.

It follows the life of Marisa (who is pretty much Christine) from when she first meets Erik when she is 17 to when she is around 35.

It follows the ups and downs of their life both before and after they are married.

I love The Phantom of t
LA
NO SPOILERS: A REVIEW SHOULD NOT TELL THE STORY! THAT'S WHY YOU READ THE BOOK. A "modern" version of Phantom of the Opera (set in the 80's, a time of records, cassette tape decks, and no cell phones). Better than I expected. LOVED the characters, especially "The Phantom." Bravo to Charlotte Vale Allen; he is graphically, grotesquely disfigured, yet I was instantly in love/lust with him. Pretty steamy with minimal tacky or ridiculous descriptions (for the most part). If you're looking for more Ph ...more
Tiffany
I love the love story. Yeah it is a bit controversial considering how young the reader is compared to her husband. But overall, i enjoyed it :)
Allie Mac
Kinda Phantomesque, Not brilliant but sweet.
Nina Draganova
Наивна книга,почти като приказка :)
Amy
I've had this book for over 10 years. I read it once a year. I love it for the nostalgia of it, but it does have some troublesome topics and the vernacular used makes it a little creepy. This book speaks to a very dark deep part of me that revels in taboo topics. It's not the best, and it doesn't age well because of the topics at hand, but it's a book I read because I love the characters and the overall story.
Nefret
Ich hätte die ersten Seite nicht einfach überfliegen sollen. Dann hätte ich nämlich mitbekommen, dass Marisa in den folgenden Kapiteln nicht 13, sondern 16 Jahre alt ist. So hatte ich aber meine Probleme mit dem Beginn der Liebesgeschichte. Später war der erste Eindruck schwer abzuschütteln.
Pamela
I read this probably 15 years ago and I need to read it again. Since my favorite fairy tale is Beauty and the Beast....I loved this book which is a retelling of the fairy tale mixed with a Phantom of the Opera kind of twist too....I remember just LOVING this book....
Loverlypurple
This was a hard book to get through as I kept not liking where the story was headed. So I would stop reading it for a while and read a different book. When I finally managed to get to the end I was a bit disappointed at the abrupt ending, wanted more.
Elf
A rather well done modern Phantom of the Opera related novel. It was probably the third one that I managed to hunt down. Very much in the romance catagory which I normally don't like but I have to admit, the idea of Erik can draw me in to almost anything.
MAP
POTO-like story set in the 1960s-1980s. Which makes the 32 year old man sneaking off to have sex with the 16/17 year old really really creepy. And then they get married when she's 18 and then...nothing happens for the rest of the book. What??
Barbra
I love this author's books. Great read.

Back Cover Blurb:
The story of a sensitive young girl who falls in love with a brilliant older man who is scarred both physically and emotionally. It really is an engrossing, touching novel.
Jill Miller
Phantom of the Operaesque, in a more modern setting. Although a bit silly and unrealistic, this book is nevertheless engrossing and enchanting. It is one of the very few books that I have read more than once.
Sa
i was never a fan of Phantom of the Opera but I did enjoy this book, yes it's a bit hokey, but I liked it. I've read way worse
Amanda
I love this book. It reminds me, in a way, of Phantom of the Opera. I've read it several timesm and it's always good.
Skeletor
One of my favorite POTO stories.
Arlene Allen
Phantomesque modern romance.
Margaret
Mar 29, 2008 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Phantom of the Opera fans, Beauty and the Beast fans
LOVED this book! LOVED IT!
Rachel
  • Letters to Erik: The Ghost's Love Story
  • Chanson de L'Ange
  • Madrigal: A Novel of Gaston LeRoux's the Phantom of the Opera
  • Beauty
  • Dark Memories (The Phantom Diaries, #2)
  • The Phantom Of Valletta
  • No Return: A Contemporary Phantom Tale
  • In The Eye of The Beholder:  A Novel of The Phantom of the Opera
  • Night of the Phantom
  • A Bed of Thorns and Roses
  • Snowbound
  • Secret Admirer
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • Till the Stars Fall
  • The Object of Love
  • Why We Love the Dogs We Do: How to Find the Dog That Matches Your Personality
  • Better Late Than Never (The Smith Sister's Trilogy #1)
  • Burning Obsession
Charlotte Vale-Allen was born in Toronto and lived in England from 1961 to 1964 where she worked as a television actress and singer. She returned to Toronto briefly, performing as a singer and in cabaret revues until she emigrated to the United States in 1966.

Shortly after her marriage to Walter Allen in 1970 she began writing and sold her first novel Love Life in 1974. Prior to this book's public
More about Charlotte Vale Allen...
Parting Gifts Dreaming in Color Fresh Air Somebody's Baby Grace Notes