Start by marking “The Christmas Cookie Club” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Cookie Club

The Christmas Cookie Club

3.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,967 Ratings  ·  615 Reviews
Mark your calendar. It's the Christmas Cookie Club! Every year on the first Monday of December, Marnie and her twelve closest girlfriends gather in the evening with batches of beautifully wrapped homemade cookies. Everyone has to bring a dish, a bottle of wine, and their stories. This year, the stories are especially important. Marnie's oldest daughter has a risky pregnanc ...more
Published October 20th 2009 by Atria Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Cookie Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Cookie Club

Jan
Sep 30, 2009 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is possibly the perfect book club book.
Every year, on the first Monday in December twelve women get together to share cookies, recipes and stories. The past year has been very eventful for many of the members. Some express joy, others sadness, and one the terrible loss of a son. They listen, laugh and cry. Their bond strengthens each of the women as they get ready to move on to another year and look forward to another Cookie Club meeting.
I loved the format. Each chapter highlights one of th
Kori
Nov 11, 2009 Kori rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Ugh! I've been seeing all the new Christmas fiction coming out this time of year, and I was hoping for a light Christmas story to get me in the holiday spirit. This is not that book. Think cancer, dead babies, horrific accidents, family deaths, and domestic abuse. Each chapter starts with a recipe and tells the story of a club member. Between chapters are short histories of various baking ingredients (butter, sugar, flour, etc.) which are completely random and have nothing to do with the stories ...more
NickySatia
A true chicklit filled with heartwarming friendships between women and lovely cookie recipes. Even though I only awarded two stars, I enjoyed reading it. The reason that I found this book merely ok is because I did not feel the emotions of the characters. There are so many of them, it's difficult to create a mental picture for each of them (which I reckon is absolutely needed to be able relate to the characters).

However, it's a fun quick read and does get one in the christmas and baking spirit!
Michelle
Dec 21, 2009 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea how this book made its way to "best seller" lists and the shelves of mass market media places like Target. The first 2 chapters were good, even promising...but after that it takes a very, very sharp turn. So much information about too many characters is thrown at you so quickly, it is nearly impossible to keep up...I likened it to what it would be like if a book threw up. I rarely part with a book, even if I know I'm not going to read it again...but this one is most definitely goi ...more
Megan
Nov 01, 2009 Megan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate books that are about horrible people. This book could have been so uplifting, but everyone in it is either having an affair, thinking of having an affair, or their spouse is having an affair. Disgusting! It does come with recipes that I would like to try, though.
Leesdame
Apr 04, 2016 Leesdame rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ik wou iets luchtigs en iets makkelijks voor het slapengaan en koos de roman ‘De koekjesclub’ uit als “bedboek”. Het begon allemaal nog vrij boeiend, maar het werd vervolgens een langdradig en rommelig verhaal.

Ik noemde deze roman al eerder een “keuvelroman”. Marnie keuvelt over haar vriendinnen, hun levens, haar leven, over koekjes, over de avond zelf, over herinneringen. Marnie vertelt ook de verhalen van haar vriendinnen, maar omdat het er zoveel zijn weet je halverwege het boek niet meer wel
Stephanie
Sep 12, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, reviewed
3.5/5

This is the story of 12 women who meet up every December for a cookie exchange. Each brings cookies to exchange, as well as well as a year full of stories and (a lot of) heartache. The story is narrated by Marnie, the “head cookie bitch,” and the host of the annual party. A lot of the story is centered around her life. She has two pregnant daughters, one an unwed eighteen year old, and the other in her 20’s who has had a tough time with her pregnancies. Each chapter is about a different mem
Lisa
Oct 25, 2009 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The opening line of this book is pretty good, I have to admit:

I am the head cookie bitch and this is my party.

And the premise for the book is also not bad. Every year a group of twelve diverse women gather to exchange cookies that they bake along with the latest happenings in their lives. As can be expected with this kind of story each woman has something unique to bring to the table like: one has adopted a baby internationally, one has a father who is having an affair with her bestfriend, the n
Dana Wright
I love this book. The fun started for me last Christmas when I came across The Christmas Cookie Club by Ann Pearlman. It centers around a group of ladies that gather every Christmas season to make and exchange cookies. It sounds perfectly simple, but there are some rules for cookie club hopefuls. The publisher sent me this book in exchange for an honest review and I fell in love with it at first read. The warm of the authors, Ann Pearlman and Marybeth Bayer shines through the whole book.

This c
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
"The Christmas Cookie Club" is a short novel which takes place on one December evening. The event is the annual Christmas Cookie party where twelve women exchange cookies and donate some for charity. Each cookie delivery comes with a story, a recipe and a few historical facts about the ingredients. The host of the event is Marnie, who started the club, created the rules and has had a complex life herself.

Even though each chapter is supposed to be about the woman presenting the cookies, it isn't
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
From the beginning, I fell in love with Marnie the main character and her group of friends. The friends were diverse and from all walks of life which gave the book a realism because we pick up friends in our lives through many different ways. As I prepare for my first cookie exchange this year, I loved reading how organized and committed these ladies were to this yearly tradition.

Marnie has quite a group of ladies that surround her. From a new co-grandma to a friend from high school, she gather
Cheryl
Oct 30, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is that time of year again. Time for Marnie’s annual Christmas Cookie Club. There are eight rules but the most important one is number 7. Which states: It’s always on the first Monday in December (referencing to the annual Christmas Cookie Club). Put it on your calendar and count on it.

There are several new ladies joining the group this year. Marnie can not wait to visit with her friends, share memories, eat food, and of course munching on cookies. The only thing that would make this day per
Shoshanah
Jan 13, 2012 Shoshanah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each year Marnie hosts 11 other friend for a Christmas cookie club. There are rules about how many cookies they need to make (13 dozen- 1 for each member and 1 for charity), what types of cookies they can make (no chocolate chip cookies), and how they must be packaged (creatively, of course). Some women have participated every year of its existence. Others are only able to attend for a few years before moving on. The woman ages span several decades, difference finances, married, single, widowed, ...more
Katherine
After reading this book I can't wait for next year and start a "Christmas Cookie Club". The parts I enjoyed most about the book were the recipes, the rules and idea of the club, and information between each chapter regarding ingredients used such as sugar, flour etc.

The parts I disliked most were the telling of each persons history, the narrator always got side tracked and started telling her story again. This is a non-Christian based book but yet when difficulty entered into someones life they
Ellinor
The book is about a group of women meeting each year in a Christmas Cookie Club where they share cookies and stories. Actually a nice idea. But there were just too many characters for the lenght of the novel. None of them - except maybe for the narrator - was able to develop properly and it was a bit difficult to remember who was who.
Stella
Dec 21, 2010 Stella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, christmas-read
A very emotional and nice read, but don't be mislead by the bluish chick lit cover this is not a light HEA romantic chick lit, this is a women fiction drama novel, with lots of grief and tough lives (cancer, abortion, cheating, etc.), but very nicely done, a heartwarming, wonderful read for the holidays.

Debra
Jan 29, 2014 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story reminds me of the book group I'm in, so that fact may "cause" me like the book more than some others. I just love the celebration of women friends. Btw, MY women friends are the BEST ever.
Helena
Mar 23, 2012 Helena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a lovely read! I really thought this was a delightful book, filled with shared love, loss, death, life and the wonder of friendship. And I think the idea of a cookie club is deliscious!
Patti
May 11, 2011 Patti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. After reading this I was inspired to start an anuual cookie club and hope it may continue for years to come.
Debbie
Nov 17, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw this book at Borders it immediately caught my eye and I was so excited when April said she had an extra copy I could read. I don't know if it was raging hormones but the beginning of the book actually had me in tears as I read about Marnie's daughter, Sky, and her risky pregnancy and previous losses as well as another cookie club member's, Charlene, loss of a son.

While I enjoyed hearing all of the women's stories I thought it might have been better if the club were smaller since only
Heather
Jul 25, 2011 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Katie
"It took me awhile to read this one. It started off kind of strong and I was wanting to learn more about this woman who was hosting the party, but as soon as that storyline started to drag out I think I stopped caring. There were just way too many characters and their stories were really only told in a chapter and I found that too many facts were being thrown at me at once. I couldn't remember everything that happened and who did what. Of course, taking my time reading this book didn't help with ...more
April
Jan 31, 2011 April rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While not a literary masterpiece, this book was an easy and entertaining read.
I liked the idea behind the book, a group of close friends (12) who meet every year before Christmas to exchange cookies. It seems idyllic to me, and quaint. I love the idea of having such a close group of friends like that, there for you, growing with you through the years. (Its hard when you -read I- move around so much, it seems almost like a fairy tale to me.)
The writing was a little sloppy, and it reads like maybe
Kristen
Feb 10, 2010 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
There were so many things wrong with this book! I really wanted to love this book but it just fell flat.
1-The story is told about 12 women but only one woman tells that story. Somehow she is part of everything in everyone's life. Also, while she would be describing something important in another woman's life, she would wander into her own life and make it all about her. It was quite annoying.
2- I can't even count how many times she mentioned the little wine glass ornaments that distinguish whi
Melissa Storm
Preview… "The Christmas Cookie Club" recounts the interwoven stories of Marnie and eleven of her closest girlfriends. Together they form the cookie club, a holiday institution. Our narrator, Marnie, tells us stories of each woman as she presents—stories of how Marnie first got to know her, stories of the troubles that each woman faces, stories of how she is working to overcome her setbacks. Our friends at the Christmas Cookie Club have all faced some pretty big problems in their day—lost jobs, h ...more
Jana
Jan 08, 2011 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Christmas Cookie Club is a fantastic idea! It is really different from other books even from other Christmas books! Every chapter starts with a great recipe for Christmas cookies and every chapter talks about the story of one of the members of the Christmas Cookie Club. Actually, the book is more about the different stories the people have to tell and less about the cookies themselves but the cookies and the cookie party always connect the stories and are the red line through the book! This ...more
Krystal
Oct 20, 2011 Krystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book concerns Marnie and eleven of her closest friends who form a cookie club. The book leads the reader through stories about Marnie meeting these friends and the hardships and problems they experience as well as some of their happier moments. Their problems will appear extreme in some situations, it's hard to believe someone could have that much bad luck!

The characters are all very likable, they appear warm and friendly. Their camaraderie is eviden
Tina Hayes
Mar 30, 2013 Tina Hayes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vine
'The Christmas Cookie Club' by Ann Pearlman is a book I liked, but found lacking in some areas.

The parts I really enjoyed:
* Love the great recipes that head each chapter! I plan to make quite a few batches this holiday season.
* Marnie, the main character and head cookie bitch, came through really well. Very nicely characterized, she seems very real, rounded out, someone who would have a flock of friends in real life.
* I liked that the story showed problems and triumphs for each charater, and
Christine
My mom passed this book to me and I decided I needed to read it during the holiday season...
I didn't have high expectations for this book but enjoyed some parts of it. Each of the chapters starts with a different ingredient and an detailed description of its history. It then gives a recipe for each of the cookies made and then gives the womans story.
I liked the idea of an annual cookie exchange with the same 12 friends. I liked the "rules" of the cookie club- reminded me of my book club. I loved
Alexandra
This book was mediocre. It's redeeming qualities were the recipes at the beginning of every chapter (even though I would never bake half of them) and the history/facts about different common ingredients (chocolate, flour, nuts, etc) at the end of every chapter. These parts were really interesting. These parts are why I gave the book that third star.

The rest of the book just didn't hold my interest like I had hoped. The storyline sounded great. But it just wasn't what i had expected. There were t
Chloe
Dec 17, 2009 Chloe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every year, Marnie and her 12 friends meet for the annual meeting of The Cookie Club which happens on the first Monday of December every year without fail. The friends have been there for each other through a lot of ups and downs, and that’s not about the change any time soon.

During the meeting, lots of secrets are revealed that shock the friends to the core. Marnie is waiting to hear from her pregnant daughter Sky about whether the baby is viable, Charlene is still struggling to get over the de
2016 Reading Chal...: The Christmas Cookie Club 1 20 Mar 04, 2015 11:01AM
Bookworm Bitches : December 2011: The Christmas Cookie Club 38 258 Feb 28, 2015 11:16AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Christmas Cookie Club 1 5 Jan 09, 2012 05:34PM
Barnes & Noble Nook: Looking for The Christmas Cookie Club 1 9 Dec 11, 2011 07:05AM
  • Home for Christmas
  • The Christmas Tree
  • The Snow Globe
  • When Christmas Comes
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Twelve Days to Christmas (Single in the City)
  • Winter Wonderland
  • Home For The Holidays (Kismet, Michigan #1)
  • Last Christmas
  • Informally Educated: A True Tale of Child Abuse, Survival and Murder
  • The Perfect Christmas
  • Kiss Me Under the Mistletoe
  • The Art of the Cookie: Baking Up Inspiration by the Dozen
  • A Winter Flame
Ann Pearlman was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award for INFIDELITY which was also made into a Lifetime movie. Her first novel, THE CHRISTMAS COOKIE CLUB has been translated into 6 languages and was a national and international bestseller. A GIFT FOR MY SISTER, following characters first introduced in The Christmas Cookie Club won a prize for best fiction in 2014. THE LOTTERY, ...more
More about Ann Pearlman...

“I am the head cookie bitch and this is my party.” 16 likes