Start by marking “Escaping into the Night” as Want to Read:
Escaping into the Night

Escaping into the Night

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  31 reviews

Halina Rudowski is on the run. When the Polish ghetto where she lives is evacuated, she narrowly escapes, but her mother is not as lucky. Along with her friend Batya, Halina makes her way to a secret encampment in the woods where Jews survive by living underground. As the group struggles for food, handles infighting, and attempts to protect themselves from the advancing Ge

Published September 8th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Escaping into the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escaping into the Night

Jennifer Lanman
This book was a good read because it is a story based on the holocaust. I love learning about our past history and especially world war 2. It gives me chills just thinking about what every person (whether they were for the US, Germans or the Jewish community) had to go through. I could not imagine living through that time period. This book could be good for grades 5th or 6th. They can each get a copy and you would read a couple chapters each day. This would be great for when you have a unit on W ...more
Janie
I really liked the story. I loved how Halina and Batya were willing to fight and stand up for themselves. I never knew about the whole community of Jews hiding in the woods, and that was really interesting. A little more background and a little more about the ghetto would have been good, especially for the reader who may not know a whole lot about the holocaust.
Bunker
Fifteen-year-old Halina, often chastised by her mother for worrying too much, has made intimate friends with loss and fear as she and her mother struggle to survive in the ghetto in Nazi-occupied Poland. Her mourning of a father she never knew and her fear of being separated from her mother intensify when their friends and neighbors begin to disappear slowly. However, the horrific reality that unfolds unannounced shatters the small sense of security she knows, and Halina must flee at the urging ...more
Kayla Watkins
Escaping into the night by Dina Friedman tells of one Jews many losses and triumphs. It tells a story about a girl named Halina, and her struggle to escape from the Nazis grip on her life. Halina hears around that the Polish ghetto is soon going to be invaded by Nazis soldiers, and all polish people are going to be evacuated out. She didn’t understand the full reality of it all until she secretively made it outside the city with a few others safely. She was frightened and lonely except for her f ...more
Kimberly Werner
"Escaping into the Night" is a historical fiction novel for readers age 16 and up (advanced). Halina is a young girl living in the Polish Ghetto during World War II. When she hears rumors about the Nazi's taking over she escapes the town, eventually landing in a secret forest hideout. This book is clearly geared toward the young adult audience as it is not terribly lengthy and not all of the characters are all that well developed. That being said, it should be noted that the plot is very suspens ...more
Emily
I rated this book 5 stars. I rated this book 5 stars because I thought this book was Exciting. I thought this book was awesome
because ere were events at made you wonder about what happens in the next chapter. I also liked book because the book gave you history events that had happen in real life. Finally I would recommend his book a friend because I thought t was a interesting story. Overall, this was a scary Mystery read.
Terra
This is a good book but the story and character development were a little lacking. I think it could be due to the fact that it is geared toward younger readers (which I didn't realize when I purchased the book). I have considered having my children read it when they are a little older. I think it would be a great book to introduce them to the horrible things that happened to Jews during WWII. There is one scene though that I am not sure that I want them to read. I have a year or so left to decid ...more
Diane Folz
Historical Fiction. An interesting book on Holocaust survivors that we've previously heard very little about. I was very inspired by the selflessness of parents and the bravery of orphaned children who decided to escape the Polish ghettos, and certain death, even if it meant living in borrows in the forest much like the animals. At times, the characters endure circumstances that are mature in nature and are difficult to read. But, overall it is a moving, worthwhile look into history.

Lea
Young Halina, forced to move to the Ghetto and then to flee for her life, is an engaging heroine in this middle grades Holocaust story. Having lost everything and everyone, she clings to those she can trust and manages to rebuild a semblance of family while trying to survive in a hidden forest encampment. This book reminds me of Number the Stars, albeit a grittier version (includes a rape scene), and it's quite a little page turner.
KWinks
Read this last night. I thought it was wonderful, but I do love WWII stories. This came out in 2006 and the author wrote that she was inspired after reading Defiance, and the girls do stay in a forest camp with similar characters. This is a short novel. I picked it up because I saw it will be reissued and I was happy my library already owns many copies. Recommended for historical fiction readers who like a survival element.
Rekha
Halina's mother is killed by Nazis and the ghetto where she lives is being evacuated. She joins a group of people who use an underground tunnel to escape into the forest. She and the other escapees live in underground bunkers and Halina must find a way to hope and survive. The book does a good job of portraying a very ordinary teen girl who is put into an extraordinary situation.
Mandy
This book talks about another family that suffers under the Holocaust. I think this book brought the hopes up by saying that as long as family and love is along their, they will be fine. I know everything might be all right if love is along, but it seems a little too dramatic even though I hope that it can resolve Holocaust.
Sydney
Joni
story of a young Jewish girl who, after loosing her mother and escaping from the ghetto, lives in the forest near Russia with hundreds of others until the war is over. A child's viewpoint of the true-life of the Bielski brothers, made into the movie Defiance with that blonde Bond guy.
Emma
Had potential but wasn't a particularly well fleshed-out story. Ended abruptly. Camp life sounded intriguing but the world in which the protagonist lived could have been described in more detail. It did, however, educate me about the escapee camps in forests and woodlands.
Barb
Another inspirational and exciting story about Jews escaping during the Holocaust, this time in the woods and in an amazingly organized manner. I love historical fiction! This is another one that makes me wonder if I could have endured what so many lived to tell!
Joshua Jacobson
Read this with my 9 year old son for a school project. It was very well written with a compelling story line. The author kept the action moving and was very tasteful in her portrayal of some very evil events. And this helped to add to my picture of WWII. Great read!
Toni
This was an okay book. Nazi Germany. Jews running from the Nazi's. It was a little on the juvenile side, even for a young adult novel. I've read much better books on the subject; the story wasn't very deep. Actually, it was kind of shallow!
Lindsey
This book was part of the 8th grade English curriculum when I was filling in for a maternity leave.. The author was a participant in the Hudson Children's Book Festival. I really enjoyed it as much as the students did!
Daphnar
A YA version of The Bielski Brothers from the point of view of a young girl. More of a book meant for young adults (10-14) than a young adult book that holds enough sophistication for adults.
Karen
I loved the story, but it was a a bit unrealistic how some things turned out. Also, I felt it was geared more towards "middle grades" instead of young adults.
Kristina Galea
I have just finished this book. I really enjoyed reading it. It shows a clear scenery of the Nazis and Germans during the war.
Stephanie
Not particularly well written. Very little is tied together into a cohesive story. But the plot is intriguing.
Noelle Walsh
It was very well written and I really loved the book but it did make me tear up. :) Sad but amazing and hopeful.
Tassy
The ending wasn't satisfying. Wish the author wrote more and ended the story with Halina and Reuven.
Bianca
Heart wrenching and beautifully written this is a novel that every person should read.
Caroline Scott
Very good. face paced. i really like books about WWII.
Ruuqqyyah
So far I like this book.It's pretty sad and adventurous
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Winter War
  • Run, Boy, Run
  • Eleanor's Story: An American Girl in Hitler's Germany
  • Luba: The Angel of Bergen-Belsen
  • The Grand Mosque of Paris: A Story of How Muslims Saved Jews During the Holocaust
  • A True and Faithful Narrative
  • Resistance (Resistance, #1)
  • Passage to Freedom: The Sugihara Story
  • His Name Was Raoul Wallenberg
I grew up in New York City, a place I hold close to my heart and love to write about. When I was in my early 20s, I met my husband-to-be at a poetry reading in Greenwich Village, and a few years later we moved to western Massachusetts. We spent 17 years in Northampton, before moving to a more rural neighboring town next door to 350 cows.

I have always loved writing and reading, and before publishin
More about D. Dina Friedman...
Playing Dad's Song