Start by marking “The Real Toy Story: Inside the Ruthless Battle for America's Youngest Consumers” as Want to Read:
The Real Toy Story: Inside the Ruthless Battle for America's Youngest Consumers

The Real Toy Story: Inside the Ruthless Battle for America's Youngest Consumers

The American toy business is massive, world dominating, cutthroat, exciting, and increasingly willing to sacrifice our kids in its frantic rush for profit. And yet, for all its rapaciousness, the industry is in the business of delighting and fascinating our children. Toys are one of the most emotive subjects in the world. We all remember our own toys; we care desperately a ...more
Published January 9th 2007 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about The Real Toy Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Toy Story

Simon Wood
SUITABLE FOR AGES 13 TO 18

Reading through Eric Clark's "The Real Toy Story" one can't help wondering if whatever statutes refer to making false claims about a product apply to books? Sub-titled "Inside the ruthless battle for Britain's youngest consumers" almost the entire focus of the book is on the American experience. As an investigative journalist perhaps Clark should be investigating himself?

The book itself doesn't live up to its billing even with regard to the American scene. Much of the
Beth
Jan 08, 2009 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing and research are good, and the book is not uninteresting; but I stopped reading because the workings of the toy industry didn't seem novel enough to spend so much time on.

The fact that the toy industry is - gasp! - driven by lust for profits, of all things! - just didn't seem like news to me. So toy execs fear disappointing shareholders more than not serving the optimal intellectual development of little minds - not so shocking.

And the toy business isn't the only one that relies mo
Todd Coopee
Jul 21, 2015 Todd Coopee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part history primer, part exposé, The Real Toy Story is a literary roller-coaster ride. Author Eric Clark, a former investigative journalist in the UK, offers up a robust, hard-hitting look at the toy industry circa 2007. While some of his anecdotes are a dated now that changes that have occurred since the book was published, Clark’s overarching descriptions of advertising tactics, labour practices, retail realities, and product development lifecycles remain relevant today.

Each stand-alone chapt
EinsteinShrugged
The Real Toy Story tells the history of the toy industry along with the retail giants which have changed it over the years. From Toys R Us to Wal-Mart, this chronicles the rise, fall and subsequent revival of the toy industry.

It is, in parts, incredibly depressing to learn how money on research and development has been cut while companies try to repackage and reinvent tried and true games and toys. A game like Monopoly, for example, would never get past the front door of a toy manufacturer toda
Brick
Sep 05, 2010 Brick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating insight to the toy industry, if not a bit unsettling. As a parent, I have a vested interest in my kids' toys and this book did give me pause regarding the psychological manipulation of children. Good food for thought.
Summer
Apr 06, 2007 Summer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent book on the American toy industry and the marketing machine that drives it. Contains a monstrously depressing chapter on the overseas sweatshops which produce a large amount of America's playthings.
Rebecca
May 13, 2007 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty good, in the style of "Fast Food Nation" but not quite as well-written and not quite as hard-hitting. But still very well-worth the read. It exposes the complicated and deplorable relationships between American toy companies and marketers and Chinese manufacturers.
Catherine
Feb 16, 2014 Catherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A series of case studies on toy manufacturing that were illuminating - but you definitely wouldn't want to read in near Christmas when you need to buy lots of toys! Generally well written, thought out and appeared well researched
Mandy
Jan 13, 2010 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
This book was fascinating as it sucked all the joy and wonder out of toys. Big Business is an ugly thing. One (of the many) bits of trivia that I think I'll always remember from this book is that Yahtzee was invented on a yacht. Who knew? Well...I didn't, until I read this book.
Naomi
Jun 07, 2007 Naomi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yawn. I couldn't get into this at all. I thought it might be charming or amusing while informative, but it was so boring I put it down after 50 pages.
Brandy
Apr 06, 2007 Brandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A look at the seedy underbelly of the toy industry, from R&D to marketing to manufacturing, backed up with a lot of anecdata and industry case studies.
Jcarne3
Nov 19, 2009 Jcarne3 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a great book for parents who are in the midst of the toy frenzy. This book has definitely affected my shopping for Christmas this year (and years to come).
Kristin Amundson
Kristin Amundson rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2013
Mister Mank
Mister Mank rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2009
Justin Philbrook
Justin Philbrook rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2008
Fiona Endsley
Fiona Endsley rated it really liked it
May 22, 2008
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2010
Melki
Melki rated it really liked it
May 06, 2011
Joaquin
Joaquin rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2008
Ryan
Ryan rated it did not like it
Dec 21, 2014
Jaimit Doshi
Jaimit Doshi rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2009
Stevanne Auerbach
Stevanne Auerbach rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Graham Bailey
Graham Bailey rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2010
Amy Manners
Amy Manners rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
Melanie
Melanie rated it did not like it
Jul 26, 2014
Janel Cain
Janel Cain rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2017
Will
Will rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2007
Sarjoun Skaff
Sarjoun Skaff rated it really liked it
May 05, 2014