Start by marking “A Million Bucks by 30: How to Overcome a Crap Job, Stingy Parents, and a Useless Degree to Become a Millionaire Before (or After) Turning Thirty” as Want to Read:

At twenty-two, Alan Corey left his mom’s basement in Atlanta and moved to New York City with one goal in mind: to become a millionaire by the time he was thirty. His parents and friends laughed, but six years later they were all celebrating his prosperous accomplishment–at a bar Corey owned in one of Brooklyn’s hippest neighborhoods.

No, Corey didn’t climb the corporate lad
Published December 26th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Million Bucks by 30, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Million Bucks by 30

Steven
Aug 25, 2008 Steven rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steven by: wieber@earthlink.net
A mildly amusing tale but not to be taken as "how to" book on making a million. He had lots of luck with timing (got into real estate at the start of the recent boom) and did things hardly anyone else would willingly choose to do - live in the projects, appear on multiple reality shows, never go out to eat, etc....
Nick Brown
A cool book by Alan Corey discussing his hustle to make it to millionaire status by his thirtieth birthday.

His story takes some abstraction to pull out the nuggets needed to make it worthwhile to your own life. He's life and goals may or may not have much to do with your pursuits, but I think you'll be shortchanging yourself some great real-life examples on how to do it big!

In my particular case, I took away the following points for Corey's story:

- audacious goals that kind of scare you are a
Diana Marie
Apr 04, 2012 Diana Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, I like the author's spirit and personality. Although I don't think I will ever find myself living in the projects or eating raw oatmeal and ramen for every meal - the author makes it clear that if you really want something and make sacrifices towards that goal, anything is possible - even becoming a millionaire by 30, making only $44,000 per year. With a combination of luck in real estate, being well-informed of his decisions, and his extreme cheapskate ways - he shows his v ...more
Stephanie
Fun book that makes you think about where your money is going. The author was in a real unique position to get a million dollars by age 30. He took on quite a few real estate ventures that the average person could not do or have the means to do. But over all it made me think about doing some small investing to at least help my future (retirement) be better. Fun, quick, read.
Roxy
Aug 01, 2010 Roxy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's obvious that real estate is the way to go to get rich, but considering all the real estate issues since the economic downfall it will be much more difficult to get rich Alan's way.
Rita
Apr 04, 2011 Rita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rita by: npr
I heard about this book on NPR, a long time ago - I think? It's been on my list and I finally got a hold of it and got the urge to read it. Most of the book is dedicated to real estate investing and reality tv stunts. That's fine, but nowhere in the title or cover is this really emphasized. Read the first few chapters and get a quick overview on investing, since that's something everyone can take advantge of, but don't bother with the rest unless you have folks who can lend you $10 to invest in ...more
Crystal Velasquez
Nov 05, 2007 Crystal Velasquez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone tired of being broke
I usually find books that are in any way related to business extremely boring. But this one was such a light, fun read that I just zipped right through it in one weekend. He's basically just telling his own story about how he came to NY a 22-year-old kid with a mediocre job to a 30-year-old retired guy with property, a book deal, and almost half a mill in the bank. Some of what he did was pretty extreme and most people in their right mind wouldn't do it. But he does offer a lot of food for thoug ...more
Bee
May 11, 2013 Bee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god. This dude is a complete nut. This is probably the most hilarious, most entertaining book I've ever read on someone's account of personal finance. His book revolves largely around his ridiculous personal experiences, some of the wiser choices he made at investing, and being an absolute cheapskate. All in all, it was a very entertaining book, and while I'm not all that interested in living in the projects simply to save money like this guy did, he did make some very good points. The boo ...more
karen
Feb 18, 2008 karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally entertaining and engrossing. Who knew you could make a million bucks with a 40k a year salary in NYC? I have definitely implemented some of his budgeting ideas, although not to his extreme. I dunno how successful the real estate flipping strategy would necessarily be in today's economy, but the advice is certainly useful.
Adele
Jul 16, 2008 Adele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jen  (Remembered Reads)
I never say no to a free book, even if it’s a cheesy-looking personal finance one like this. I was pleasantly surprised though: amongst the traditional “Be cheap, remember to save” stuff were amusing stories about getting on reality television and having too many roommates.
Holly
Dec 29, 2014 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read, some good and creative ideas for savings and investment strategies, and the amount of research and legwork is obvious, but he also benefited a lot from focusing on real estate at a profitable time.
Paul
Jul 30, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great quick read.
Belinda
Nov 03, 2008 Belinda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
How to be unbelievable miserable eating ramen and get lucky in a good real estate market. But the guy does have that "take a risk and success or die trying" attitude that I like.
Chris
Jun 30, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. Amusing.
David
Oct 30, 2009 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
All you have to do is flip a bunch of houses, and do it before the economy collapses ...
Bella
Mar 18, 2008 Bella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance-econ
This was a fun, fast read. I was sorry it was so short. Alan corey is an entertaining guy. I got even more inspired to do even better on my own personal finance mission/war.
Peter Moelius
Earns an extra star for readability.
Kristi
Feb 27, 2010 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun read! Filled with humor, yet surprisingly inspiring. Not your typical, dry personal finance book.
Shankar Bellam
Felt like reading someone's interesting and a well written blog...
Nelson Mays
This guy was Hardcore about becoming a millionaire. He is a very creative guy. Read and you will see what I'm talking about.
Cristie
Cristie rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2017
Ken Clements
Ken Clements rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2011
Stephanie Gagliardi
Stephanie Gagliardi rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2010
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
May 05, 2008
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2008
Anson Reeder
Anson Reeder rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2013
Rick
Rick rated it it was ok
Oct 24, 2009
Alexander
Alexander rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Charlie
Charlie rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Unleashing the Killer App: Digital Strategies for Market Dominance
  • The Millionaire Maker: Act, Think, and Make Money the Way the Wealthy Do
  • The Simple Dollar: How One Man Wiped Out His Debts and Achieved the Life of His Dreams
  • The 5 Patterns of Extraordinary Careers : The Guide for Achieving Success and Satisfaction (Crown Business Briefings)
  • Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action
  • Rich Like Them: My Door-to-Door Search for the Secrets of Wealth in America's Richest Neighborhoods
  • The Entrepreneur Equation: Evaluating the Realities, Risks, and Rewards of Having Your Own Business
  • Execution Premium
  • Acceptance: A Legendary Guidance Counselor Helps Seven Kids Find the Right Colleges—and Find Themselves
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind
  • Billion-Dollar Lessons: What You Can Learn from the Most Inexcusable Business Failures of the Last 25 Years
  • Donny Deutsch's Big Idea: How To Make Your Entrepreneurial Dreams Come True, From The AHA Moment To Your First Million
  • The Mom & Pop Store: True Stories from the Heart of America
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • The High-Beta Rich: How the Manic Wealthy Will Take Us to the Next Boom, Bubble, and Bust
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education