Start by marking “A Million Bucks by 30: How to Overcome a Crap Job, Stingy Parents, and a Useless Degree to Become a Millionaire Before (or After) Turning Thirty” as Want to Read:

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  21 reviews
At twenty-two, Alan Corey left his mom’s basement in Atlanta and moved to New York City with one goal in mind: to become a millionaire by the time he was thirty. His parents and friends laughed, but six years later they were all celebrating his prosperous accomplishment–at a bar Corey owned in one of Brooklyn’s hippest neighborhoods.

No, Corey didn’t climb the corporate lad...more
Published December 26th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Million Bucks by 30, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Million Bucks by 30

Steven
Oct 04, 2008 Steven rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steven by: wieber@earthlink.net
A mildly amusing tale but not to be taken as "how to" book on making a million. He had lots of luck with timing (got into real estate at the start of the recent boom) and did things hardly anyone else would willingly choose to do - live in the projects, appear on multiple reality shows, never go out to eat, etc....
Nick Brown
A cool book by Alan Corey discussing his hustle to make it to millionaire status by his thirtieth birthday.

His story takes some abstraction to pull out the nuggets needed to make it worthwhile to your own life. He's life and goals may or may not have much to do with your pursuits, but I think you'll be shortchanging yourself some great real-life examples on how to do it big!

In my particular case, I took away the following points for Corey's story:

- audacious goals that kind of scare you are a...more
Diana Dams
I enjoyed this book, I like the author's spirit and personality. Although I don't think I will ever find myself living in the projects or eating raw oatmeal and ramen for every meal - the author makes it clear that if you really want something and make sacrifices towards that goal, anything is possible - even becoming a millionaire by 30, making only $44,000 per year. With a combination of luck in real estate, being well-informed of his decisions, and his extreme cheapskate ways - he shows his v...more
Stephanie
Fun book that makes you think about where your money is going. The author was in a real unique position to get a million dollars by age 30. He took on quite a few real estate ventures that the average person could not do or have the means to do. But over all it made me think about doing some small investing to at least help my future (retirement) be better. Fun, quick, read.
Roxy
It's obvious that real estate is the way to go to get rich, but considering all the real estate issues since the economic downfall it will be much more difficult to get rich Alan's way.
Rita
Mar 27, 2012 Rita rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rita by: npr
I heard about this book on NPR, a long time ago - I think? It's been on my list and I finally got a hold of it and got the urge to read it. Most of the book is dedicated to real estate investing and reality tv stunts. That's fine, but nowhere in the title or cover is this really emphasized. Read the first few chapters and get a quick overview on investing, since that's something everyone can take advantge of, but don't bother with the rest unless you have folks who can lend you $10 to invest in...more
Crystal Velasquez
Nov 05, 2007 Crystal Velasquez rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone tired of being broke
I usually find books that are in any way related to business extremely boring. But this one was such a light, fun read that I just zipped right through it in one weekend. He's basically just telling his own story about how he came to NY a 22-year-old kid with a mediocre job to a 30-year-old retired guy with property, a book deal, and almost half a mill in the bank. Some of what he did was pretty extreme and most people in their right mind wouldn't do it. But he does offer a lot of food for thoug...more
Bee
Oh my god. This dude is a complete nut. This is probably the most hilarious, most entertaining book I've ever read on someone's account of personal finance. His book revolves largely around his ridiculous personal experiences, some of the wiser choices he made at investing, and being an absolute cheapskate. All in all, it was a very entertaining book, and while I'm not all that interested in living in the projects simply to save money like this guy did, he did make some very good points. The boo...more
Srigiri Shankar Bellam
Felt like reading someone's interesting and a well written blog...
Adele
karen
Totally entertaining and engrossing. Who knew you could make a million bucks with a 40k a year salary in NYC? I have definitely implemented some of his budgeting ideas, although not to his extreme. I dunno how successful the real estate flipping strategy would necessarily be in today's economy, but the advice is certainly useful.
jSarie
I never say no to a free book, even if it’s a cheesy-looking personal finance one like this. I was pleasantly surprised though: amongst the traditional “Be cheap, remember to save” stuff were amusing stories about getting on reality television and having too many roommates.
Belinda
How to be unbelievable miserable eating ramen and get lucky in a good real estate market. But the guy does have that "take a risk and success or die trying" attitude that I like.
Bella
This was a fun, fast read. I was sorry it was so short. Alan corey is an entertaining guy. I got even more inspired to do even better on my own personal finance mission/war.
Nelson Mays
This guy was Hardcore about becoming a millionaire. He is a very creative guy. Read and you will see what I'm talking about.
Kristi
This was such a fun read! Filled with humor, yet surprisingly inspiring. Not your typical, dry personal finance book.
Lindsey
worked for me till he started talking about flipping houses... yeah, not going to happen for me.
David
All you have to do is flip a bunch of houses, and do it before the economy collapses ...
Peter Moelius
Earns an extra star for readability.
Ethan Stan
Ethan Stan marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Stephen Whitmore
Stephen Whitmore marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
lvivflorida
lvivflorida marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Harold
Harold added it
Jul 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Subversive Job Search: How to Overcome a Lousy Job, Sluggish Economy, and Useless Degree to Create a Six-Figure Career