Start by marking “Trouble Magnet (Pip & Flinx Adventures, #11)” as Want to Read:
Trouble Magnet (Pip & Flinx Adventures, #11)

Trouble Magnet (Pip & Flinx #12)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  686 ratings  ·  23 reviews
From science fiction icon Alan Dean Foster comes a blazing new Pip & Flinx adventure for fans of the green-eyed redhead with awesome mental powers and his miniature flying dragon. In this dazzling new novel, Flinx confirms his status as the galaxy’s greatest magnet for big trouble.

Wandering out there in some remote region of the galaxy is a gargantuan sentient Tar-Aiym
Published November 28th 2006 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Trouble Magnet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble Magnet

Edward McKeown
Trouble Magnet by Alan Dean Foster (2006)

The Flinx and Pip duo is a long standing team in SF. The boy and his “dog,” in this case an Alaspinian flying snake, whose venom makes the Giger’s Alien’s blood look like orange juice. Trouble Magnet is billed as yet another adventure of this pair and in a way that tells you want to expect from this book. Magnet delivers an amiable, mildly adventurous story showcasing the Phillip Lynx aka Flinx (an esper from a eugenics program) and the deadly Pip. They w
Mary JL
Feb 02, 2014 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SF fans /fans of this series
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
This is the 12th book in the Pip and Flinx series. Alan Dean Foster has been writing this series sporadically for over 20 years.

It follows a familiar pattern. Flinx lands on a new planet. As usually, he get into trouble. In this case, he stops a youth gang from mugging the alien Thranx. But Flinx has had run-ins with the police as a youngman, so he permits one young man, Subar, to escape and even goes with him.

The juvenile delinquents don't learn from mistake one, and are soon way out of their l
Daniel
Okay, I am of the opinion some times an ending can make or break a story. For example, Snowcrash great novel, ruined by one of the worst, tacked on, endings ever. Trouble Magnet, was a book that actually was tedious, I had to read through the book as if I was trapped in a mud pit. It was slow, the flow was tedious. Why am I giving it 4 stars, then? Well, it had a great ending that answered a lot of questions while propelling the story forward. Sometimes in life the reward outweighs the journey. ...more
Cami
I really enjoy the Pip & Flinx series but this particular book was a disappointment. There were a couple things that really bothered me about this one.

One, Flinx is obviously mired in depression and not very interested in helping people as he has been in the past. There's enough depression in life, I really don't need to be reading about it. His visit to this planet to figure out if humanity is worth saving annoys me, and just doesn't seem like him. And choosing this particular planet to do
Bryan457
Flinx starts out to find a weapon to use against the hungry evil accelerating toward the galaxy, only to be diverted to... Wait didn't we do this in "Running From the Deity?" Actually, Flinx decides to go to some scummy crime ridden planet to evaluate humanity and see if it is worth his time to bother trying to save the galaxy.

Flinx spends his time trying to salvage a young gang member from the streets. He annoys the local crime lords, and gets himself in mortal peril whereupon his mental talent
Kevin
For me, this is the least enjoyable so far of this series -- closer to a refrigerator magnet. Not horrible, but not typical Foster, featuring no outré settings and not much in the way of quirky characters. I am so close to the end of the series, I'll trudge onward. One can hope it has an epic wrap up.
Jeanette
I have loved Pip and Flinx since I first read them as a kid. However, the series is going downhill. It seemed like for at least a week Flinx was leaving in the next day or 2..... constantly..... throughout the entire book. It got a bit annoying. His decision making also seems to be getting worse, not better. Really? Going to a world you know is going to be rife with crime to see if you can find "one good person" to decide whether to save the human race? What about the good people you already kno ...more
Craig
This latest entry in Foster's long running chronicles of Flinx & Pip is heavier on reflection and shorter on action than most of the previous volumes. It's a good story nonetheless, all about Flinx trying to decide if the universe is -worth- saving or not. I was a little let down by the resolution because it came in completely out of left field and there's no way it could have been foreseen. Up to that point, though, it was a good read.
Ruby Hollyberry
Much better than Sliding Scales. A good little Flinx story, with some plot and character development. Hoping for more from Patrimony!
Jackie
Flinx visits a less than ideal planet and ends up helping a young thief who reminds him of himself at that age. The latter Pip & Flinx books are showing a little too much angst and navel gazing. I enjoyed the earlier titles where things were not so financially secure and Flinx and less time to ponder the meaning of his existence. Too much introspection makes for a dull book.
Andreas
After its pointless predecessor, Running from the Deity, finally another decent Flinx novel. Once again, the small contribution to the overall story arch is somewhat disappointing. And the repeated "deus ex macchina" makes your eyes roll. Still, it is well written and the plot is fun. 3 stars.
Jan
Pip and Flinx. Traveling to visaria to see if humans are worth saving. Series is getting darker which is not necessarily better.
Craig Leimkuehler
Hey, this isn't a great work of literature but it beats watching your toenails grow.
Miertam
Still a good read but not as much fun as his earlier works in this series.
Toni
A little wordy with scattered dialogue but a good adventure for Pip and Flinx.
Heather
The writing style annoys me at times, but otherwise a good book.
Amelia
Amusing, light sci-fi. A nice easy read.
DaNela
Pip & Flinx adventure story #13
*BIO*
colleen
read 12.17.06
very good series.
Samuel
Standard Pip and Flinx fare.
Peter
it's a Flinx book - ...
Janette Davis
Janette Davis marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Pete
Pete added it
Dec 16, 2014
Donald King
Donald King marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Perry
Perry marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
  • Dragon and Judge (Dragonback, #5)
  • The Warlock's Last Ride (Warlock Series, #12)
  • Phule Me Twice (Phule's Company, #4)
  • The Magnificent Wilf
  • Plague of Memory (Stardoc, #7)
  • Warriors of the Storm (Rings of the Master, #3)
  • The Octagonal Raven
  • The Best of All Possible Wars
  • Crystal Dragon (The Great Migration Duology, #2) (Liaden Universe, #2)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)