Start by marking “Beautiful People: My Family and Other Glamorous Varmints” as Want to Read:
Beautiful People: My Family and Other Glamorous Varmints

Beautiful People: My Family and Other Glamorous Varmints

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  345 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
A wickedly funny memoir with echoes of David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs, Beautiful People (originally published in hardcover as Nasty) is now a BBC comedy hit series from the producer of Ab Fab and The Office.

Proclaimed "the most brilliant, brash thing in type" by Liz Smith, Simon Doonan's saucy prose has established him as an emerging star among literary humorists.
Published April 14th 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful People

Doug Beatty
Jul 19, 2010 Doug Beatty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up because I have been watching the tv show "Beautiful People" on logo. Boy, the TV show takes some liberties with the book, it has a few basic plot points but that is about it!

But the book was a light and funny read, and has some vignettes about Doonan's life. It is not concentrated on his childhood like the TV show, but instead offers some tales from his childhood, his mother Betty and her large hairdo, his Father Terry and the homemade wine, his grandmother Narg, his schizo
M.
Mar 23, 2014 M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely by accident I came across the TV series called "The Beautiful People". After initial consternation, I quickly got engrossed into the story of a little aesthete from Reading who is dreaming of moving to London and meeting the beautiful people. I didn't know who Simon Doonan was but I decided to buy the book which was adapted into that series.
The first thing we learn is that Simon Doonan is much older than the characters from the BBC production and that there is a distinct story from w
Catherine Wynne
Aug 29, 2013 Catherine Wynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its so weird--I've seen Simon Doonan on TV and thought he was a bit--well, kind of smug and kinda snobby--maybe its just the way the Brits are..but since I'm obsessed with fashion and the fact he has the best job in the world--i.e. the Barney's gig, I pre-ordered "The Asylum" and decided to to some reading of his other books.
I am soooooooooo happy I read "The Beautiful People"!!!
If you have any sort of familial dysfunction this is definitely the book to read! Wow! Mr. Doonan is just so wickedly
George
Nov 13, 2014 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book of essays about his eccentric family and friends. I spent much time chuckling. Became interested after seeing the UK TV show based on this book. However, the show is updated to the 1990's where as the book is set firmly in the 1960's and 1970's. Also, the UK of Doonan's youth and his friends and family are all obviously white vs the multi-cultural, multi-racial update afforded by the series. Still both are fun.
Ally
Feb 13, 2014 Ally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has all the elements that a drag-hag like me craves, and the writing is pleasantly passable to my classically-trained eye. In fact, you have to read it with a British accent. Doonan is a surprisingly excellent writer when you consider that he spent his life actually living, and not just cavorting in his avant-garde imagination. Being a member of a similar class of the fabulous poor and working-class club kids, I appreciated the esprit de corps inspired by tales of his childhood surroun ...more
Juan Manuel Perez Pelayo
Simon Doonan, Barneys Window Display Designer, blogger of the Barneys babble and fashion extraordinaire, narrates his own memoir, in a very entertaining manner. Its personal, yet so relateable. It truly captured what I feel whenver I am in any of my cumbia-filled family reuninons in Guadalajara, where my mom is dancing around with the kids, my aunt cracking up about anything and every idiosyncratic trait that families have. Doonan is honestly an inspiration to anyone who aims for better, and its ...more
Claire
Oct 19, 2009 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could give it 4.5, I would.

Made me laugh out loud often. Often crazy situations viewed with humor and a light touch. Stories from throughout the author's life, happily skipping from one age to another and back (the author does like to skip after all).

Floor pillows, mentally ill relatives, "plaid bondage trousers," window dressing, and cool parents to a gay kid born in 1952: what more could you want?

If you liked "Running With Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs, I bet you'll really enjoy this. I
Marley
Apr 22, 2015 Marley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
didn't get too far...just not my cup of tea. I enjoy a funny memoir but I just didn't thing it was worth continuing.
Vigdiesel
Feb 25, 2016 Vigdiesel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hysterical.
Sister Morticia
Jan 25, 2015 Sister Morticia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book!! I actually cried with laughter reading parts of it. Just a beautifully written, heartfelt autobiographical book.
Goose
Jan 08, 2012 Goose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much of this book is either funny or amusing and I can see why they did a television show loosely based upon it. I never really cared too much for Simon Doonan when seeing him on televison and toward the end of this "memoir" I had filled up enough on his authorial voice to last two "memoirs" full. I am glad that my friend, who sent me the book to read, liked it enough to suggest it to me. Add a star to my review if you are a Simon Doonan fan or if your home is decorated by Jonathan Adler.
Peter Millane
Jan 27, 2011 Peter Millane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a huge fan of the television series I was excited to read this and I was not disappointed. I would give it 5 stars if not for the chapter about Mundo.

I love that they were able to distill the essence of Simons life and give it a modern twist to create a show that would resonate with younger viewers. Even though Many of the historical references are before my time, Simons ability to paint a hilarious scene is wonderful.

Will recommend this to a few friends.
Mike Jensen
Jul 24, 2013 Mike Jensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutley loved this memoir. The author is the inspiration for the BBC comedy "Beautiful People". There were only 2 short seasons of the show, but it chronicles his early teen years in Reading, England and I laugh my head off every time I see it. This guy has led such an interesting and quirky life, surrounded by odd ball family, friends, and experiences. Lots of references to gay culture that people may not understand.
Carolyn
Having always considered Doonan a kindred spirit, I had high expectations for this -- and I have to admit that I was a little disappointed. A few truly funny bits, and a few dear and moving love letters to his friends -- but there was something off in the writing/presentation of this. I'm impressed that he has other books -- and I would say that reading those others, like these, on a plane might be perfection.
Nick
Aug 31, 2014 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love...daughter! Not quite a mirror to the BBC TV series x2 I loved but a beautiful compliment.
David
Jul 25, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different from what I was expecting having watched the TV series. Overall it had the same spirit but a different era means completely different anecdotes. Generally very entertaining.
Gypsy3x4
Jun 05, 2009 Gypsy3x4 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing!
One of my new favorites. If you love Bill Bryson's memoir you'll love this book.
It's different than the show, but that's why it's good. You can enjoy both things.
Sephie
May 27, 2009 Sephie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auto_biog
Very camp memoir of a lad growing up in the late 50s (as I did), realising he was 'different' and his search for the 'Beautiful People' who populated the 60s.
Very amusing read.
Josh L Martin
Dec 31, 2013 Josh L Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This book is seriously funny, laugh out loud funny. Because of this book, I had to go and discover all things Simon Doonan. Witty, charming, and hilarious!
Jon
Mar 11, 2009 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Throughly fun and enjoyable from the opening sentence to the end. I would love to see the British Comedy Series based on this book...could be great.
Alvin
Aug 30, 2010 Alvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doonan's subtle wit, off-beat anecdotes, and delightfully daffy worldview make this memoir a pleasure from start to finish.
Lauren
Sep 02, 2012 Lauren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure where I got this book recommendation but I had it on a list. It was so bad, I couldn't finish it.
Cindy
Aug 11, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Doonan is as witty as her window displays. A fun, humorous read that helped take me away on my rustic vacation.
Cynthia
May 30, 2012 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light hearted look at his life with the "surprise" ending that we are all beautiful people. Loved it
Vance
Jul 06, 2009 Vance rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the TV series based on it that's currently airing in the USA. A funny but solid memoir.
Shannon Myers
Jun 24, 2016 Shannon Myers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Simon Doonan's writing. I strive to be like him-- hilarious and relentlessly sunny.
Mary DeYoe
Oct 22, 2009 Mary DeYoe is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not terribly far into this book, but I was expecting it to be much more flamboyant, fabulous.
Joseph
Dec 14, 2010 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very funny and well written memoir. Don't expect it to match the storyline of the Logo TV series.
Jessica
Mar 21, 2011 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
why did this book get such rave reviews? it boggles my mind. FAIL
Drew
Jun 23, 2010 Drew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't quite as hilarious as I'd hoped but it was a fun read.
  • Becoming Nancy
  • A Beginner's Guide to Acting English
  • How I Learned to Snap: A Small Town Coming-Out and Coming-of-Age Story
  • Beautiful Thing Drama Version
  • The Real Trial of Oscar Wilde
  • Monty Python Live!
  • Say It Again In A Nice Voice
  • The Fashion File: Advice, Tips, and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of Mad Men
  • Dreaming of Dior: Every Dress Tells a Story
  • Cupid and the King: Five Royal Paramours
  • Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America
  • This Way To Spaceship
  • Yassmin's Story
  • Gilliamesque: A Pre-posthumous Memoir
  • Affection
  • Ghost Wife: A Memoir of Love and Defiance
  • The Frood: The Authorised and Very Official History of Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • Dance While You Can
Simon Doonan (born 1952) is the Creative Ambassador-at-Large of the New York City-based clothing store Barneys.

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Simon Doonan...

“She had always enjoyed the carte blanche accorded to mobsters, aristocrats, circus clowns, and lunatics” 0 likes