Start by marking “Hotspur ("Sister" Jane, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hotspur ("Sister" Jane, #2)

Hotspur ("Sister" Jane #2)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  916 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
In her well-received novel Outfoxed, Rita Mae Brown vividly and deftly brought to life the genteel world of foxhunting, where hunters, horses, hounds, and foxes form a tightly knit community amidst old money and simmering conflicts. With Hotspur, we return to the Southern chase–and to a hunt on the trail of a murderer.

Jane “Sister” Arnold may be in her seventies, but she s
Published December 18th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Hotspur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hotspur

Jim
A fun book in many ways, mostly because Brown captures horse & fox hunting people so well. It gets 5 stars for that. Sister reminds me a lot of my mother, who is also 71 (72 next week) and still charges about on horseback 4 or 5 times a week with her local hunt. Mom's not a Master, but was a Whip for a couple of decades & she carried a .38 pistol in that job. Some scenes were just perfect.

Brown really captures the thrill of the chase & the fact that's what it is. While it's called F
Joseph
I'm really enjoying this series. The mysteries are okay, but the back stories and the social interactions of both the people and the animals are what make these books lots of fun to read. I love how well the author gives voices to the animals and has them talk with each other.
Phyllis Gauker
Nov 11, 2015 Phyllis Gauker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of Rita Mae Brown books where animals talk, but this is the only one where my heart beat faster at the description of the fox hunt! I grew up in Virginia so always enjoy these books set in Virginia because of the colloquial language etc. but I am from a part of Virginia where fox hunting was not well known, so it was all news to me. She certainly is able to catch (or remember?) the ways in which Virginians are able to say what they think without saying specifics. Living by hintin ...more
Kathy
Dec 07, 2014 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Probably 1 and a half stars for me, but I was able to skim through this book quickly on a noisy train ride so I'm glad it wasn't the kind of book I normally respond to. This one is for fans of foxhunting US style, but also fans of animals with great enough insight that they talk to each other philosophically. Argh! I had never heard of author until I visited library the other day and the author was speaking there that day. Thus...I did give her a try, but won't revisit this series. Perhaps the a ...more
Max
Jan 15, 2016 Max rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The question above this dialogue box is "What did you think?" Well, only into the second book and I think that the Jefferson Hunt Club is going to be quite small at the end of the series. I like the human intrigues. For instance, Sister Jane wonders why she is attracted to the newcomer Walter Lungrun, he somehow reminds her of her deceased husband. Of course we all know this is because he is her husband's son from a dalliance long ago. Can it get better? Yes. Guess who is the murderer in this bo ...more
Heidi
Apr 03, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this.

It's not the first in this series, but I totally fell in love with the whole thing: the crazy-privileged fox-hunters, the certainty within the text that American fox-hunting is very different from English fox-hunting, getting all the thoughts of the animals... All of a sudden it's not so odd that Rita Mae Brown credits her cat with co-authoring her mysteries.

It harked back to one of the guilty pleasures of my late teens - Francine Pascal's "Caitlin" series. I don't think Francine Pa
Brian E. Spivey
Jan 12, 2016 Brian E. Spivey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at Half Priced Books on a lark. I knew very little about foxhunting but I enjoy books about horses and people who ride so I gave it a chance. It turned out to be a really nice decision.

After 20 years a body is discover buried on the hunting grounds of the Jefferson Hunt Club. The body belongs to Nola Bancroft who disappeared, along with boyfriend Guy Ramy. This discovery sets the who hunt club into a spin and secrets are revealed one after the other until the thrilling fin
Jana
Aug 31, 2015 Jana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book which is the second in the series only because this was the book actually assigned by my bookclub. I would actually give this book between two-three stars but that is because I enjoyed it more than the first book. I think that is because I already had a basic knowledge of fox hunting from the first book, the book went faster, the murder happened early and had a much more interesting story, and much to my surprise I am actually invested in the characters now. Someday I might actu ...more
Tomi
Feb 04, 2014 Tomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about fox hunting...but there were many times when I felt like I needed to know more before I read...it would have been nice to have the glossary in the front of th book, where I would have noticed it before I finished the book. The neatest part was having the animals as characters - I enjoyed their conversations with each other!
R.E. Conary
It was hard to decide if "I liked it" (3-stars) or if it was 'Just OK" (2-stars). I liked the major character, Sister (Jane Arnold). She's bright and sarcastic and puts up with a lot. But for the most part the story was pretty pedestrian and lacked the drive and passion of Brown's "Ruby Fruit Jungle."
Wendy
Feb 19, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
With a long list of characters, RM Brown drag-scents her best mystery so far. I wanted to learn about Harriers and Foxhounds, this was a good choice.
Jackie
May 20, 2015 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything you wanted to know about fox hunting in Virginia wrapped up into a murder mystery.
George
May 21, 2009 George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#2 in the Sister Jane, Virginia fox hunting mystery series. The title comes from the character in Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part 1 play, so there are several references to the play that help Sister Jane unravel the mystery. In this novel, two deaths from 20 years previous influence the actions and events of the story along with a new murder. A very good story with a lot of fox hunting information thrown in and a supporting cast of good characters. A different aspect to these stories are the talkin ...more
Rose
Oct 25, 2013 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just discovered this author. I'm really enjoying it and am learning so muhch about American fox hunting as opposed to the sport in England. Ms. Brown is a good writer; each book develops the characters more, and "Sister" Jane Arnold becomes more interesting to me. I look forward to reading the rest of the series. I love the way we hear the animal's thoughts and conversations with each other.
Kristal
Apr 27, 2009 Kristal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I like the author's writing style. You see things from the people's perspective and also the animals. This book is quite similar to the first book. I am worried that the books will follow the same plot/story each time. I'm going to try the third book in the series and hope for something just a bit different to make me really glad that I kept reading this series.
Eyehavenofilter
Sister and her maddening group are at it again. Murder most foul, if you count the horse dung, or the behavior of the rich and obnoxious, at the Hunt club. But don't count Sister out yet. She 's a clever old broad, and sh knows her people.
From the top of the food chain to the bottom of the barrel. But just because some one is poor doesn't make them guilty of murder?
zoomdoggies
Horses, foxhounds, beautiful scenery, and people living a lifestyle I could never afford in a million years… what's not to like? Sister Jane is the person I want to be when I grow up.

Although I found the climax pretty unlikely, it was still an engaging read. I know I'll come back and read more in this series.
Becky Galambos
Feb 21, 2014 Becky Galambos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original read March 2012 - Excellent series. Very glad that she has a glossary for those of us who are not familiar with foxhunting. Just wish it was in the front so we'd find it before we finished the book...

2014- still very good and easier to follow now that I am getting the hang of foxhunting speak.
Carole Anderson
The story of this was good; I wasn't sure until the end who-done-it. But there was a little too much information about fox hunting for me. I normally like Rita Mae Brown, but prefer some of her other stories.
Joylynne
Nov 04, 2010 Joylynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny and witty mystery novel. Very light, but good read. As an animal lover, enjoyed how the animals interacted too.

Sometimes it was silly, but good to the last page. I plan on reading others by Brown.

Susan Miller
Nov 12, 2013 Susan Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying this series very much. I can picture myself out riding with Sister and the other characters. Love reading the animals point of view. Horseback riding with a good, juicy, murder to solve, what fun!
Marilyn
Jun 26, 2009 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rita Mae Brown is one of my favoriet authors. Her Sister Jane series is excellent. You have to like animals, horses, cats & dogs to enjoy these books. If you do, you need to read these books!
Linda
Oct 23, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so in love with the character Jane Arnold she is 71 yr old Fox Hunt Master and she is fantastic. Her attitude, her wisdome and she just loves her hounds and horses.
Lora
Mar 17, 2011 Lora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy these books. Being animal lover (from MD), I especially enjoy. Those who think animals don't talk - just aren't listening! I plan to share this one and read more.
Cindy
Dec 18, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the light touch of RMB's animal mysteries, and like RMB, I find my own pets 'speak' to me and each other, so I have no trouble with the animal characters in these books.
Rivkah.
Jul 29, 2011 Rivkah. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great addition to the series! This really helped me understand the characters better, and being both a horse and dog lover, it was hard to go wrong with me.
Anne
Mar 08, 2012 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The mystery part of it was decent though not spectacular. But the culture of the story was great--I loved it thoroughly.
Dimps
You don't have to read the first book in the series to know what's going on. This one is just as entertaining as the first!
Kelly Peterson
Lived up to the prior book. It was fun to see the animal and people societies grow and learn more about Sister.
Kae Cheatham
Feb 18, 2011 Kae Cheatham marked it as didnt-finish  ·  review of another edition
Personification of animals came off as furry 4-legged humans. Not believable or bearable for me.
  • Cat in a Neon Nightmare (Midnight Louie, #15)
  • Cat Coming Home (Joe Grey, #16)
  • Bulletproof Faith: A Spiritual Survival Guide for Gay and Lesbian Christians
  • My Lesbian Husband: Landscapes of a Marriage
  • Is It a Choice?: Answers to the Most Frequently Asked Questions about Gay & Lesbian People
  • A Shadow Falls
  • Canapés for the Kitties
  • Motif for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #4)
  • Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #1)
  • The Barker Street Regulars (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #11)
  • Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un
More about Rita Mae Brown...

"Sister" Jane (9 books)
  • Outfoxed ("Sister" Jane, #1)
  • Full Cry ("Sister" Jane, #3)
  • The Hunt Ball  ("Sister" Jane, #4)
  • The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)
  • The Tell-tale Horse ("Sister" Jane, #6)
  • Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane, #7)
  • Fox Tracks
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Sister" Jane, #9)