Start by marking “Adventures of the Artificial Woman: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Adventures of the Artificial Woman: A Novel

Adventures of the Artificial Woman: A Novel

2.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Fed up with the sarcastic, opinionated, and disrespectful women he comes across, Ellery Pierce decides his only choice is to build the perfect woman. A technician at an animatronics firm, Ellery has the experience and tools ready at his fingertips. After years of experiments and fine-tuning, Ellery feels he finally has created an artificial woman who can pass as real -- Ph ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Adventures of the Artificial Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures of the Artificial Woman

Petra X
May 05, 2015 Petra X rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A Stepford Wife uses her brains and escapes the strictures of being a robot. Only death (or rust) can stop her!

Very enjoyable light fiction, but seriously, this is clever satire. This is a woman made in the image a man thinks will fufil all his dreams and then she discovers hers. A parody? It's exactly how so many women are brought up in so many cultures, perhaps the extreme one we all know of these days is the FLDS with their singular instruction for women in their dealings with men, 'keep swe
Jami Zahemski
This is sadly the 1st book of 2015 that I did not like. I've never read anything by Thomas Berger and it sucks that this was the first thing I read by him because I know he has great books. I thought the concept was really good, man makes an artificial woman and then she leaves him to pursue a career in show business...genius...but it wasn't.

I thought it would be a gradual build up to Phyllis leaving but it happened out of no where in the 2 chapter. Then she goes through ridiculous sex industry
abby
Aug 31, 2007 abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Biting satire -- starts out just plain creepy, but quickly becomes creepy yet insightful and hilarious. I also admire Berger's expertise at telling us things about his characters that they don't know about themselves.
Shadoshard
I found this book tedious and inconsistent. Man makes a woman (how many times do we see THAT theme?) and stops being the perfect woman when she leaves him, breaking his heart. She is self aware enough only to succeed for a short amount of time. Ellery Pierce, the central figure, is almost as cardboard as his creation while the book skims over what normal humans would see as degradation and self denial. When it comes to men and the AIs they create, the movie Simone did it much better than this.
Holly
Nov 14, 2010 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The opening sentence perfectly introduces the story: "Never having found a real woman w/ whom he could sustain a more than temporary connection, Ellery Pierce, a technician at a firm that made animatronic creatures..., decided to fabricate one from scratch." Phyllis operates on pure logic: Fire the cleaning lady if Phyllis can do the job, appoint a known Mafioso (who knows more about crime than a mobster?) as director of the FBI. Phyllis is the "perfect" woman - she cooks/cleans, she asks about ...more
Lexiatiya
Read this in an afternoon, more or less, and it kept my attention, even though it didn't quite make sense (even within its own boundaries) and seemed familiar. Interesting for its depiction of a woman who is beautiful but has no capacity for shame & cannot be emotionally manipulated because she has no shame.
Marvin
Aug 05, 2009 Marvin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A lightweight satire. A man who is unable to develop satisfactory relationships with women creates a robot with remarkable abilities to learn from experience. She soon leaves him and strikes out on her own, first in the sex industry then becomes a smashing success in action movies before her movie career fades as she tackles more serious fare. Meanwhile, her creator realizes he had fallen in love with her, and his life falls apart. It comes back together when he rediscovers her and they rejoin f ...more
Brenda
Nov 14, 2008 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
In this Frankenstein-like novel, the male protagonist cannot find a real woman who would be the type of romantic partner he would like to have, so he creates one. He takes a long time and works very hard to create her and does a good job. Such a good job that she leaves him and becomes a famous Hollywood actress and is elected President of the United States.

I kind of wanted to kick the protagonist at times. His mental critiques of real women's flaws and his quest for the perfect woman (physical
Bridget
Feb 14, 2015 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining satire but a bit too ambitious in temporal scope! For a small book, it felt like it dragged sometimes.
Lynn
Mar 27, 2011 Lynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This had its moments. Toward the end, its underlying commentary on modern culture, values, and politics struck a chord and amused me. By and large, though, it's an unconvincing tale that leads to a predictable conclusion, offering more clichés than recognizable human emotions along the way. Everything unfolds too easily; the only thing that's difficult is bringing yourself to care about any of the characters. They're all a bunch of familiar types culled from pop culture. Who knows....maybe the s ...more
M
Aug 17, 2011 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellery Pierce has a problem - he does not relate well to the opposite sex. In order to complete his life, he sets his electronic expertise to the task of designing the perfect mate. Dubbed Phyllis, the titular artificial woman seems to be Ellery's dream come true; yet this dream soon becomes a nightmare as Phyllis seeks to move beyond her limitations. Berger's not-so-subtle take on relationships soon grows into a farcical tale as the inventor and his creation seek to use each other to take on th ...more
Ellen
Sep 23, 2014 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very humorous
Emily
Jul 30, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Very Stepford. I enjoyed that the man was the creator and the woman perpetually trumped him. The author's style isn't very fluid, nor is the dialogue terribly realistic. The premise is great, the book could have been better.

I haven't read his other novels, so I could be wrong - but it seems as though Berger wanted to write about sex, but couldn't get the nerve. Once you're finished, the memory of the book is better than actually reading it.
Jan
Mar 22, 2014 Jan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A twice divorced creator of animatronics creates the "perfect" woman and she out-thinks him every time. One would assume that's the perfect setting for a fun read but the dialogue was stilted and was rather disjointed in the telling so I'm hoping my memory of the book was better than the reading of it. Had I not been reading this for a challenge, I would have ditched it.
David Vanness
May 19, 2012 David Vanness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
Lite clever satire. More writing skills could have been used. She reminded me of our relationships as we all continue to evolve thru time. The spouce will become serval different people during a long friendship. I thoughly enjoyed her "Everything will be all right' speech the day before the election. Maybe our current candidates should read it---No all candidates.
Cynthia
Interesting concept. A dorky special effects guy builds a woman who goes on to greatness without him. American greatness; fame, power, shallow success. It had weak dialogue but was otherwise good.
Meyps
Aug 19, 2007 Meyps rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Animatronics, anyone? Nice twists. Should have been titled Adventures of the Ambitious, Artificial Woman. Would have liked it better though, if a woman was the creator, not the created.
Tara Calaby
I read this one for uni, but it was actually rather enjoyable. Very light-hearted and readable. More a play on the AI companion genre than a development of it.
Linda
Feb 08, 2008 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy, 2005
I didn’t like this book that much. It seemed to be thrown together. It didn’t live up to it’s press at all, IMO.
Blue Weasel
Aug 14, 2011 Blue Weasel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this may be interesting so I picked it up at a work book sale. It was predictable and not very good.
Laine
Sep 05, 2014 Laine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
predictable ending, and not as exciting as i originally thought it would be. a simple, easy read.
penny shima glanz
… interesting …
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2016
Tess Tainton
Tess Tainton marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Vix Clarke
Vix Clarke marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Mike Mitchell
Mike Mitchell marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
  • Something to Blog About
  • The Book of Fred
  • Everything
  • The Dewey Decimal System of Love
  • Five Decades: Poems 1925-1970 (Neruda, Pablo) (English and Spanish Edition)
  • Falling Slowly
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
  • The Translator
  • The Hermit's Story: Stories
  • Time After Time
  • Spin Cycle
  • Death by Hollywood
  • The Rising Sun: A Novel
  • That White Girl: A Novel
Thomas Louis Berger is an American novelist. Probably best known for his picaresque novel Little Big Man and the subsequent film by Arthur Penn, Berger has explored and manipulated many genres of fiction throughout his career, including the crime novel, the hard-boiled detective story, science fiction, the utopian novel, plus re-workings of classical mythology, Arthurian legend, and the survival a ...more
More about Thomas Berger...