Start by marking “Adventures of the Artificial Woman: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Adventures of the Artificial Woman: A Novel

Adventures of the Artificial Woman: A Novel

2.95 of 5 stars 2.95  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Fed up with the sarcastic, opinionated, and disrespectful women he comes across, Ellery Pierce decides his only choice is to build the perfect woman. A technician at an animatronics firm, Ellery has the experience and tools ready at his fingertips. After years of experiments and fine-tuning, Ellery feels he finally has created an artificial woman who can pass as real -- Ph ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Adventures of the Artificial Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures of the Artificial Woman

Petra X smokin' hot
A Stepford Wife uses her brains and escapes the strictures of being a robot. Only death (or rust) can stop her!

Very enjoyable light fiction, but seriously, this is clever satire. This is a woman made in the image a man thinks will fufil all his dreams and then she discovers hers. A parody? It's exactly how so many women are brought up in so many cultures, perhaps the extreme one we all know of these days is the FLDS with their singular instruction for women in their dealings with men, 'keep swe
abby
Biting satire -- starts out just plain creepy, but quickly becomes creepy yet insightful and hilarious. I also admire Berger's expertise at telling us things about his characters that they don't know about themselves.
Shadoshard
I found this book tedious and inconsistent. Man makes a woman (how many times do we see THAT theme?) and stops being the perfect woman when she leaves him, breaking his heart. She is self aware enough only to succeed for a short amount of time. Ellery Pierce, the central figure, is almost as cardboard as his creation while the book skims over what normal humans would see as degradation and self denial. When it comes to men and the AIs they create, the movie Simone did it much better than this.
Holly
The opening sentence perfectly introduces the story: "Never having found a real woman w/ whom he could sustain a more than temporary connection, Ellery Pierce, a technician at a firm that made animatronic creatures..., decided to fabricate one from scratch." Phyllis operates on pure logic: Fire the cleaning lady if Phyllis can do the job, appoint a known Mafioso (who knows more about crime than a mobster?) as director of the FBI. Phyllis is the "perfect" woman - she cooks/cleans, she asks about ...more
Lexiatiya
Read this in an afternoon, more or less, and it kept my attention, even though it didn't quite make sense (even within its own boundaries) and seemed familiar. Interesting for its depiction of a woman who is beautiful but has no capacity for shame & cannot be emotionally manipulated because she has no shame.
Marvin
A lightweight satire. A man who is unable to develop satisfactory relationships with women creates a robot with remarkable abilities to learn from experience. She soon leaves him and strikes out on her own, first in the sex industry then becomes a smashing success in action movies before her movie career fades as she tackles more serious fare. Meanwhile, her creator realizes he had fallen in love with her, and his life falls apart. It comes back together when he rediscovers her and they rejoin f ...more
Brenda
In this Frankenstein-like novel, the male protagonist cannot find a real woman who would be the type of romantic partner he would like to have, so he creates one. He takes a long time and works very hard to create her and does a good job. Such a good job that she leaves him and becomes a famous Hollywood actress and is elected President of the United States.

I kind of wanted to kick the protagonist at times. His mental critiques of real women's flaws and his quest for the perfect woman (physical
Lynn
This had its moments. Toward the end, its underlying commentary on modern culture, values, and politics struck a chord and amused me. By and large, though, it's an unconvincing tale that leads to a predictable conclusion, offering more clichés than recognizable human emotions along the way. Everything unfolds too easily; the only thing that's difficult is bringing yourself to care about any of the characters. They're all a bunch of familiar types culled from pop culture. Who knows....maybe the s ...more
M
Ellery Pierce has a problem - he does not relate well to the opposite sex. In order to complete his life, he sets his electronic expertise to the task of designing the perfect mate. Dubbed Phyllis, the titular artificial woman seems to be Ellery's dream come true; yet this dream soon becomes a nightmare as Phyllis seeks to move beyond her limitations. Berger's not-so-subtle take on relationships soon grows into a farcical tale as the inventor and his creation seek to use each other to take on th ...more
Emily
Very Stepford. I enjoyed that the man was the creator and the woman perpetually trumped him. The author's style isn't very fluid, nor is the dialogue terribly realistic. The premise is great, the book could have been better.

I haven't read his other novels, so I could be wrong - but it seems as though Berger wanted to write about sex, but couldn't get the nerve. Once you're finished, the memory of the book is better than actually reading it.
Jan
A twice divorced creator of animatronics creates the "perfect" woman and she out-thinks him every time. One would assume that's the perfect setting for a fun read but the dialogue was stilted and was rather disjointed in the telling so I'm hoping my memory of the book was better than the reading of it. Had I not been reading this for a challenge, I would have ditched it.
David Vanness
Lite clever satire. More writing skills could have been used. She reminded me of our relationships as we all continue to evolve thru time. The spouce will become serval different people during a long friendship. I thoughly enjoyed her "Everything will be all right' speech the day before the election. Maybe our current candidates should read it---No all candidates.
Cynthia
Interesting concept. A dorky special effects guy builds a woman who goes on to greatness without him. American greatness; fame, power, shallow success. It had weak dialogue but was otherwise good.
Meyps
Animatronics, anyone? Nice twists. Should have been titled Adventures of the Ambitious, Artificial Woman. Would have liked it better though, if a woman was the creator, not the created.
Tara Calaby
I read this one for uni, but it was actually rather enjoyable. Very light-hearted and readable. More a play on the AI companion genre than a development of it.
Linda
I didn’t like this book that much. It seemed to be thrown together. It didn’t live up to it’s press at all, IMO.
Blue Weasel
I thought this may be interesting so I picked it up at a work book sale. It was predictable and not very good.
Laine
predictable ending, and not as exciting as i originally thought it would be. a simple, easy read.
penny
… interesting …
Bill Hall
Bill Hall is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2015
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Greg
Greg added it
Jan 11, 2015
Martina
Martina is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2014
  • Sometimes I Dream in Italian
  • Something to Blog About
  • Coffee And Kung Fu
  • A God Strolling in the Cool of the Evening
  • Five Decades: Poems 1925-1970 (Neruda, Pablo) (English and Spanish Edition)
  • The Dewey Decimal System of Love
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
  • The Book of Fred
  • Girl from the South
  • Death by Hollywood
  • The Hermit's Story: Stories
  • Dogwalker
  • Het vierkant van de wraak
  • You're an Animal, Viskovitz!
Thomas Louis Berger is an American novelist. Probably best known for his picaresque novel Little Big Man and the subsequent film by Arthur Penn, Berger has explored and manipulated many genres of fiction throughout his career, including the crime novel, the hard-boiled detective story, science fiction, the utopian novel, plus re-workings of classical mythology, Arthurian legend, and the survival a ...more
More about Thomas Berger...
Little Big Man Arthur Rex Neighbors The Return of Little Big Man Sneaky People