Start by marking “Diffusion of Innovations” as Want to Read:
Diffusion of Innovations

Diffusion of Innovations

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  583 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Now in its fifth edition, Diffusion of Innovations is a classic work on the spread of new ideas.

In this renowned book, Everett M. Rogers, professor and chair of the Department of Communication & Journalism at the University of New Mexico, explains how new ideas spread via communication channels over time. Such innovations are initially perceived as uncertain and even r
ebook, Fifth Edition, 576 pages
Published August 16th 2003 by Free Press (first published November 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Diffusion of Innovations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diffusion of Innovations

Lu Wunsch-rolshoven
Essential reading if you want to understand how new things come into our world. It's not the majority that accepts those new things - it's a small minority of about 2 % that takes them at first. Others observe the pioneers and only if it seems that in practice the new thing has an advantage a second group of about 14 % will accept it. After them a third and fourth group. There is nearly no chance to convince people of the second or a later group, if not the whole first group is using the new thi ...more
Ninakix
Jan 01, 2014 Ninakix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This gets a high rating because it's a pretty classic book, and so far, I have yet to see the ideas covered in other books. Adoption theory is a surprisingly useful tool for understanding your customers and adoption cycles, and based on my personal experiences, I believe it is an accurate reflection of real-world phenomena. However, that said, I believe the book is long-winded, and can be frustrating because it seems to be targeted towards different audiences: a textbook for students of adoption ...more
Kåre
Aug 12, 2013 Kåre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociologi
Halvvejs igennem er jeg begejstret. Den gør alt det, den skal: Viser udviklingen indenfor forskellige fag og indenfor feltet som helhed, kommer med gode ideer til diverse for mig, virker gennemresearchet, har det nyeste med, og samler det meget fint sammen. Og så er der gode eksempler, som opsymmeres præcist og klart og er underholdende.

Undrer mig dog lidt over, hvordan det lykkedes ikke at gøre mere ud af reklamerne, som må være en stor del af feltet, både som metode og som indhold. Men der er
Michael Sturgeon
The phenomenon of new ideas and the point at which a trend catches fire – spreading exponentially through the population is an interesting one. Giving this phenomena a name is where this book helped me label what I observe. The idea suggests that, for good or bad, change can be promoted rather easily in a social system through a domino effect. The tipping point idea finds its origins in diffusion theory, which is a set of generalizations regarding the typical spread of innovations within a socia ...more
Martti
Jan 14, 2015 Martti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Diffusion of Innovations" is the classic work of Everett M. Rogers. The book was originally published in 1962, and had reached its 5th edition in 2003. The diffusion theory was developed when Rogers studied the adoption of agricultural innovations by farmers in Iowa in the 1950s. The 5th edition of the book provides a synthesis of more than 5000 previous studies in the adoption and diffusion of innovations.

Rogers argues that the diffusion of innovations is a general process which is not bound
Holly Bond
Oct 09, 2007 Holly Bond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: HRD specialists
Textbooks suck, but not this one. The case studies in this book are so eye-opening about how change is more art than science. You can't just say, "do it because I said so" and expect it to get done. The people really need to be involved in the change and have an opportunity to be heard. This is a long book, but I promise that it is worth it.
Stephen
Dec 04, 2012 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
READ DEC 2012

Packed with case studies and excellent examples, this is a must read for any organizational consultant or change leader.
Abdulrahman Hariri
Excellent resource on innovation and technology adoption and diffusion. Based on extensive research of the innovation literature.
Rindy Sabrina
Aug 13, 2014 Rindy Sabrina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
This is a required reading for my thesis (actually this is just as a reference if I want to broaden my horizon). And I still cannot enjoy reading textbook. I leave this unfinished as I find this book concentrates more on the classification of adopters, while my thesis concentrates more on finding methods to make diffusion work well (if not successfully).

This book is not difficult to understand (The Black Swan is more difficult since it includes statistics and philosophy, and yet it is far more i
Garland Vance
Oh my gosh, I hope I never have to see this book again. It was required reading for a doctoral course, or I would have put it away much sooner.

The book concentrates on the process of introducing a change into a culture and seeing it through to completion. It is exhaustive (and exhausting) in describing the stages of diffusing an innovation (i.e. introducing a change), the change agents who are successful, how organizations can diffuse innovations, etc. To be sure, it contains some very good inf
Luke
Oct 27, 2013 Luke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable textbook on the field of "how do ideas and technologies spread and become adopted". I think it says a lot that the second chapter is on The Diffusion of Diffusion Research analyzing the spread of these studies across Anthropology, Agriculture, Communication, etc (most public research has been done on agricultural and public health innovations, while marketing is probably the largest later adopter of the approach). Frequently throughout are suggestions for future improvements to stud ...more
Samantha Hines
Jul 22, 2015 Samantha Hines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
had to skim through because it got recalled, but this is a really great work. If you really want to understand innovation beyond the buzzword, this is an in-depth analysis of the science and research, deeply rooted in the sociological and anthropological worlds as opposed to the MBA stuff you so often see. Long but worthwhile. I'll have to read it again when I have some more time to process.
Tim Eldridge
Apr 07, 2014 Tim Eldridge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: CEO's and Entrepreneurs involved in discontinuous product innovations.
I constantly refer back to this seminal work by Everett Rogers' when talking to Start-Ups and change agents. Despite being published originally in 1962 the book still serves marketers well because it focuses on timeless truths that remind us how to think through a staged approach to getting traction in the market with an innovation.
Sue
Jun 25, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scholars, college students, business executives
I actually got a lot of thought process building form this book as the author gave me insight on how to build and actually see something "beyond the circle".

When a person is a critical thinker, he or she must think outside of the box and be willing to consider all factors involved and not hesitate on taking risks regardless of what they are. With that being said, all risks must be taken into consideration and those risk percentages must be weighed out before any final decision is made.

Of cours
Laurian
Feb 20, 2012 Laurian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux, non-fiction
Confession time. I only ended up reading about half of this book. I just couldn't go any further. Here are the things I got out of it:

1. Diffusion research is actually a whole research area that people study.
2. It stemmed from studying agricultural technology spread (e.g., who has the best tractors).
3. There is a whole system that shows what early adopters are compared to the tipping point. Malcolm Gladwell's books is probably much more enjoyable to learn about this point.

This book is decently o
James
This is an encouraging and informative book for anyone working in arenas ranging from farming to technology to social services. As the title indicates, the author does a great job of explaining the processes of evolution of new ways for people to do things. A good example here in New Mexico was the spread of laws against smoking in restaurants from a handful of places to a statewide law.
This book was one of the references used most heavily by the team to which I belonged for some years in the st
Jim Elyot
Aug 03, 2013 Jim Elyot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A long, and sometimes repetitive read, but Rogers carefully grounds all his arguments in facts. By the end, I only wished that he'd found more ways to say Diffusion of Innovations, as the title is used on nearly every page. I am seeking an updated version that would address the technological innovations that have changed the world since this printing: universal Internet access, Mobile saturation, and digital social media. Rogers' (or his successor's) take on the evolution of these now everyday p ...more
Sorin
Nov 18, 2014 Sorin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clarified a couple of key steps necessary to go through when marketing a product or innovation.
Onewifeonly
To get more people to adopt your product, make sure they can observe it in action.
Chris J
This is a straight-forward, highly readable academic work. It is peppered with many real world examples that can be used by the reader as as a floatation device in the event of finding oneself in a dull conversation.
Nita
Oct 12, 2014 Nita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
baca buku teknologi rasa psikologi :d
Michelle Mock
Mar 02, 2016 Michelle Mock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm obsessed with the topic.
pa |
May 20, 2015 pa | rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic text on innovation.
Bill Kearney
Mar 02, 2014 Bill Kearney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional read.
رائد الغامدي
كتاب علمي يشرح نظرية علمية تُدعى نظرية انتشار الاختراعات -
إذ تسعى هذه النظرية لتفسير كيفية انتشار المخترعات خلال الثقافات المختلفة مع مرور الوقت. وليست بالضرورة أن تكون المخترعات أشياء جديدة لم يسبق للبشرية معرفتها، ولكن أي تقنية أو فكرة يعتبرها مجتمع معين جديدة بالنسبة إليه؛ فهي تعتبر مخترع جديد بالنسبة له (المجتمع).

كتبت هذه المقدمة في شرح النظرية باللغة العربية على موسوعة الويكيبيديا ، وأتطلع لإكمال ترجمتها على الموسوعة لأنني تعمقت في دراستها لتعلقها بمشروعي البحثي.
Landmark Property Services, Inc.
How do new ideas and innovations diffuse across populations? This is a very technical book about what qualities are necessary for an idea to be successfully adopted, the importance of peer networks and designing your innovation toward a segmented population.

This book looks at the science of innovation. Although it's extremely technical, we think it's a great read for anyone in a leadership role.
Shane
Aug 31, 2012 Shane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic text on how innovations diffuse through modern (and sometimes not-so-modern) society. I found it an informative, but dense book and more gap-filling than eye-opening. I don't recommend it for light or sick-day reading. I recommend the book for anyone who may profit from technology diffusion (e.g. tech and business people) and those generally interested in sociology and technology.
Horia
Nov 06, 2014 Horia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know that I'll never finish this book. It's a great, great book. I'd call it: the bible of anyone that has do to anything with the innovation domain. There's nothing else to say, just read it.

It's actually quite funny that so many modern concepts and buzz words can be related directly to concepts presented in this book.
Michael Burnam-fink
In both a theoretically detailed, and eminently readable book, Rogers explains how innovations spread and adopted across diverse populations. Critical reading for anybody interested in why some technologies succeed, and others fail, and how new systems for communication, energy, etc, can be adopted.
Dayla
Feb 24, 2013 Dayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rogers brought together some of the best examples of innovations gone wrong. I can never forget the brilliant illustration of a near-do-well trying to get natives living in the mountains to feed their babies bottled formula. The naïveté reminds me of my first few years as a principal.
  • The Art Of The Long View:  Planning For The Future In An Uncertain World
  • The Constitution of Society: Outline of the Theory of Structuration
  • Co-Opetition
  • Reinventing Collapse: The Soviet Example and American Prospects
  • Six Degrees: The Science of a Connected Age
  • The Future of Work: How the New Order of Business Will Shape Your Organization, Your Management Style, and Your Life
  • The Practice of Management
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • The Competitive Advantage of Nations
  • The Power of Positive Deviance: How Unlikely Innovators Solve the World's Toughest Problems