Start by marking “A Fate Totally Worse Than Death” as Want to Read:
A Fate Totally Worse Than Death

A Fate Totally Worse Than Death

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  42 reviews
"This takeoff on teen horror novels is funny, mocking, and a surefire hit. . . . Should have teen-horror fans screaming with laughter." — SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL (starred review)

In Paul Fleischman’s hilarious parody of teenage horror novels, Danielle and her friends from Cliffside High’s cruelest clique — the Huns — set out to crush a ravishing exchange student from Norway.
Published August 4th 1997 by Candlewick (first published October 2nd 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Fate Totally Worse Than Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fate Totally Worse Than Death

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise RennisonAn Abundance of Katherines by John GreenThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieWill Grayson, Will Grayson by John GreenThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
DCPL's Teen Humor Booklist
41st out of 75 books — 170 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Teen Novels of the 90s
139th out of 152 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristin
A Fate Totally Worse Than Death by Paul Fleischman was actually really good. I read it because I was looking for a quick read that I could read in one night easily. This was about 120 pages with large font, so it didn't take long at all. Basically it's about three rich, popular girls who will do everything it takes to get a particular guy. That includes killing his girlfriend and writing a suicide note. Now that it's senior year and he's girlfriend-less they're excited and ready to roll. That i ...more
Natalie
A Fate Totally Worse Than Death by Paul Fleischman was definitely worth the read. It first attracted me towards it because I was looking for a quick read that I could finish in just a few days. It was one of those books that you kept turning the page wondering what would happen next. You felt like you were apart of the book and felt sympathy for the characters.

If you enjoy a mystery yet humorous book, I would totally recommend this book. Now don't get me wrong, the first few chapters lacked int
Amber
Apr 05, 2012 Amber added it
Amber Randol
Humor

A Fate Totally Worse Than Death involved three girls who were the most popular in their school: Tiffany, Brooke, and Danielle. The girls had murdered a former classmate who was attracting the attention of one of their boyfriends, but no one knows about it. A new girl, Helga, from Norway, comes to the school and all of the girls boyfriends like her, so the group sets out to get her to leave. They try cutting her hair and attacking her mentally but it backfires and Helga says they
Pop Bop
A Book Totally Better Than Expected

Snarky privileged mean girl YA dramas are usually so over the top that it is hard to imagine what room is left, exactly, for parody. Well, Fleischman has the answer.

This book isn't manic and it doesn't go for overblown, broad parody. It is almost surgical in the way it focuses on all of the little tics and tells of mean girl high school stories and YA horror, and then exaggerates them just enough to really bring the joke home. The book opens with a tracking sh
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

For anyone who enjoyed Scary Movie with it's over-the-top humor, sarcastic wit, dry parodies, and unrestrained juvenile one-liners, A FATE TOTALLY WORSE THAN DEATH is a must read.

The plot revolves around three girls, Danielle, Brooke, and Tiffany, who are members of the Huns--the absolutely only clique to belong to at Cliffside High. The Huns believe in one rule above all else--the Hun boys belong to them, and them alone. When Helga, a Norwegian exchange stude
Callie
Oct 22, 2012 Callie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 1-12
This book is a humorous book meant to be a satire on young adult horror novels. It is about three girls in high school that belong to a group of the rich and popular known as the Huns. The girls are very possessive over the Hun boys and believe that no other girls are allowed to be with them. Prior to the start of the book, the girls ran a classmate--who was not a Hun--off a cliff to her death because she was dating a Hun boy. When Olga a new girl from Norway shows up and all the boys begin to f ...more
Susie Homa
A Fate Totally Worse than Death
Paul Fleischman
3.0
adventure, romance, suspense, horror
i recommend this book because it has a very good story line and has an amazing ending it is the best book iv ever read.
A foreign exchange student from Norway named Helga takes all the attention and gets the attention of the boy in school that everyone likes and thhey become jealous and say Helga is a ghost because of her white skin and light hair while trying to get their attention back the girls think up many
Lorisha
funny and chilling
Heather
When exchange student Helga shows up and threatens the social world of Danielle, Tiffany, and Brooke, the girls begin a campaign to destroy her using any means necessary up to and including murder. The mission for social supremacy hits a snag when the girls begin to suspect that Helga isn't quite mortal. Infinitely nasty and funny, this little book deliciously targets the mean girls and gives them a sufficiently unpleasant payback for their murderous scheming. Beware the raspberry truffles.
Nicole Rauh
It's a great short story. To read over the weekend or just for fun. The plot has twist and turns all through it. Great story.
Andrew Carlson
I finished this book in two hours! That's how much I liked this book!

I won't spoil any of the plot, but I will say it keeps you turning pages wondering what will happen next to the protagonists. (or are they antagogists?)

The plot is clever and unique. Cliquish behavior, jealousy and irrational decisions abound. If you are in high school, have a child in high school, remember high school--whether fondly or not, you should read this book. You won't be dissapointed!
Delaney Bella
I thought I would like this book at first, since the author is a pretty good author, but I couldn't get past chapter 4. I couldn't stand the mean girls! Not one bit. Mean to elderly, mean to friends, They even purposely killed a girl because she was with a guy that they think they can claim as theirs. Bottom line: I didn't like it, but if you wanna hear about mean girls being so full of yourself, check this book out, because now it's checked back in...
Tacey
A textbook for teen satire! I love Fleischman's writing.
Katie Feather
Really poor story line with no interesting features or characters. Disappointing :(
Maya
This book was very freaky. In the beginning it started out very boring, until it got to the middle thats when everything changed. They started to mention ghosts, magical powers and suicides. This book showed how jealousy can cause to turmoil, death and just plain bad choices. I would recomend this book for high school crowd because it shows an issue that most go threw excluding the magical powers and ghosts.
Pandora
A mixture of comedy and horror. Mostly akin to the Scream films. Horror fans should enjoy it. The book is YA because it does mention things that would get it a R rating if it was a movie. Focused on the body, questionable things sold out of a locker, basically Animal House type stuff. Book has been on our children's shelves and a popluar pick. No complaints yet so it is staying.
Sylvia
Charity Chase was killed. Someone (or 3 girls) who's responsible for it must pay. Come Helga, an exchange student from Norway. She has a fair skin without sun burn, hair blonder than blond, and have the same habit as Charity. The girls believed that Helga is the ghost of Charity who came to get revenge.

A horror fiction with a shock ending.
Danay Perkins
This was a very interesting book lol. Creative I must admit, but weird. Its about a group of popular girls who mess with this old lady and then things s\in their life start getting crazy and they begin to turn into old people hahaha!!! I think it was worth reading but probably not anything i would recommend or read again.
Alexandra
I remember reading this book when I was younger. It was funny but also disturbing. I'm interested in re-reading just for the sake of really remembering the details. The one thing that still leaves me with a haunting thought is... Those poor girls had to watch themselves grow old. Gruesome to be sure.
Kathy Ellen Davis
I liked this funny book.
Three girls who killed another girl suddenly have strange things start to happen to them...
and you know what, they deserve it!
I listened to this one, and the voices were great.
The characters were funny,
and I wanted to keep listening to know what would happen next!
Anita Prince
When Helga, the beautiful blonde from Norway, starts attracting all the available "Huns" at Cliffside High, Danielle, Brooke, and Tiffany decide it's time to get rid of her just like they got rid of Charity Chase. Read this farce to find out what happens when they set their plot into motion.
Becca
Very awkward in a way, but awkward is my thing. So I enjoyed it. Three girls grow old at a teenage year? And they think the exchange student is a ghost BECAUSE they are becomeing old? This has always been my type of book. One of my all time favorites. I have my reasons why.
Rebecca
This book is no long at all and it was very easy to read. I thought that it could have had more details in it. The ending surprised me very much because you don't know what's coming. It is another one of those books that teach you not to draw conclusions to fast.
Marya
A cheesy parody that saves itself by knowing full well it is a cheesy parody. Don't expect to be scared by the "horror" or kept in suspense by the "mystery". Do expect to find it amusing that a teenage girl's greatest fear is developing...old lady pickle tits.
Debbie
This is one of the very first books I read when I entered high school. I chose it just because it looked like it had little pages. It had some really nice twists and turns but you could keep up with it. So read and I couldn’t put it down until I finished it.
Lesley
Nov 20, 2014 Lesley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 6th grade and up
Shelves: funny, supernatural, teen
I haven't seen a lot of attention paid to this, but I think it's a great idea: having fun with the horror genre while also being a perfectly good horror story, plus tackling mean girls from a new angle.
Sandra Strange
This YA novel by a noted YA author is actually a spoof of ghost-horror novels. It's pretty harmless and ok, but the characterization is stereotypical, as most spoofs are. OK, but not great.
Meaghan
I do not read teen slasher stories, but even I could appreciate this wonderfully done parody. It had me howling and all the girls were so bitchy it was beautiful. This is parodying at its very best!
Abby Starkel
I really didn't like this book. Too girly for me. If you're into mysteries than i guess it is an ok book to read but the only reason i didn't like it was because it was too girly.
Kellie
This book is too warped! It was great. It's a "black comedy", kinda along the lines of the movie Heathers. After reading this, you will understand why karma is a bitch!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Standard Hero Behavior
  • Gender Blender
  • All Hallows' Eve: 13 Stories
  • Losing Joe's Place
  • Unusual Creatures: A Mostly Accurate Account of Some of Earth's Strangest Animals
  • The Adventures of Blue Avenger (Blue Avenger, #1)
  • Poop Happened!: A History of the World from the Bottom Up
  • My Angelica
  • The Arizona Kid
  • Love Among the Walnuts
  • The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber
  • Unfed (Undead, #2)
  • Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook
  • Planet Tad
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • Teen, Inc.
  • Head Games (Pretty Tough, #3)
  • Sara's Face
Paul Fleischman grew up in Santa Monica, California. The son of well-known children's novelist Sid Fleischman, Paul was in the unique position of having his famous father's books read out loud to him by the author as they were being written. This experience continued throughout his childhood.
Paul followed in his father's footsteps as an author of books for young readers, and in 1982 he released
More about Paul Fleischman...
Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices Seedfolks Whirligig Weslandia The Matchbox Diary