Start by marking “Evernight (Evernight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Evernight (Evernight, #1)

Evernight (Evernight #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  63,076 Ratings  ·  2,964 Reviews
Bianca wants to escape.

She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Published February 10th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Evernight, please sign up.

Loraine Pino Yes , this book really developed different characters. It shows how two peope met, and begun thier love story. And also , it does'nt shows only the…moreYes , this book really developed different characters. It shows how two peope met, and begun thier love story. And also , it does'nt shows only the love story how it goes but also how humans touch the emotion of vampires even tough its just a fiction, but it is really good and you cannot close the book without finishing.(less)

Haleema
Sorry, guys. I deleted this review because I basically explained the WHOLE damn story in it. It was back when I was a shit reviewer.

But thank you for all those who read and like it! I love you beautiful beings!
Kim
May 01, 2010 Kim rated it it was ok
Steph (Reviewer X)
Feb 25, 2009 Steph (Reviewer X) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Rant: Every professional review of this book somehow mentions Stephenie Meyer and/or the Twilight series. Is it just me, or does that annoy anyone else seven ways to Sunday? I get that people want to allude to some of the bestselling series of vampire books ever, but saying "enjoyable (...) for fans of that other vampire series who need something to read while they wait for Breaking Dawn (Meyer, 2008)" (Kirkus) is downright insulting, as it implies that Evernight is no better than a placeholder. ...more
Kat Kennedy
Pretty much, I think this rating is going to come as a massive shock to... well, anyone who's ever read a review from me before.

The thing is, Evernight really isn't that bad. In fact, as far as sappy YA paranormal books go, it's not THAT bad.

I don't actually know what to do with myself. I kind of expected a REALLY painful and agonizing reading experience before I came on GR and vomitted vitriol into everyone's faces. I guess you're all spared of that... for now! *Cue evil laugh*

Evernight is the
Jane
Nov 24, 2008 Jane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who will give up good writing for some vampire sex and a gothy feel.
Clare D' Lune
I didn't like this book for a few reasons, but the biggest one is probably that it was so...weird. In a bad way. I mean, like they go through half the book and they make her out like she doesn't know anything about what’s happening at the school, and then BANG, all of a sudden, well she knows everything, and had all the time... its just weird. Plus I thought her character was poorly made. First she's all shy and stuff, but then she's like not, and then she is, and so on. And she meets Lucas ONCE ...more
Cassie
Oct 16, 2008 Cassie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cassie by: ARC
J.D. Stroube
Jul 07, 2009 J.D. Stroube rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I was surpised to realize that I completely enjoyed myself with this book. It is somewhat of a Romeo & Juliet story of star-crossed lovers whose families are enemies, but with vampires.

The characters are sweet, secretive, and charming at the same time. I loved Lucas throughout the entirety of the book, while it took me a little while to adjust to Bianca. However, once I did I felt that the pairing of these two characters was meant to be!

I ended up being surprised twice during this book, whi
Mel
Feb 20, 2011 Mel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twitards, girls who love unrealistic and overly romantic love interests
Evernight is set in a very Vampire Knight setting, and is about a girl who is secretly a vampire (yeah right) who falls in love with a boring, uninteresting, controlling Romeo-wannabe and that's it.

Yes, that's it. There is no plot other than that.

This book managed to meet all of my expectations: It blew.

Now some of you may ask me why I bothered reading a book that I knew I wouldn’t like, right? Well the answer is simple: I’m a masochist. I’m somebody who faps over how terrible books are, and
Mizuki
Evernight, book one of Claudia Gray's supernatural YA romance series, provides worthy entertainment to its readers. I enjoyed the book but I also can't overlook its flaws.

First I want to address how utterly overused the plot and setting are. I will write a simple 'Oh I have seen these settings before!' check list:

(1) Gothic, gloomy private school. Check.

(2) A heroine who was shy, socially awkward and had zero self-confidence. Check.

(3) Two hot boys who wanted the heroine's affection. Check.

(4) O
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Evernight is a YA paranormal romance. Just understand that going in. If you dislike that genre, it's unlikely that this'll be the book to change your mind. If you do enjoy PNRs, I think this is one of the better novels I've read of its sort. My reasons for liking this one better than most are extremely spoilerish. Really, I enjoyed it much more going into it blind than I would have (view spoiler) ...more
Deborah Markus
Holy. Freakin'. COW.

I've been enjoying the reading I'm doing as research for the agents I'd like to query about my own novel. I liked this book more than most from the beginning. It hooked me right in. But it was just a pleasant read, one I was going to give a resounding thumbs-up on Goodreads and then get on with my life.

And then I got about halfway through.

I've read good YA novels. I've read fun paranormal works. And I've read some great surprise endings (the twist in the last Hunger Games nov
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Damn but I hated this series. I found it completely ridiculous! I couldn't even finish the second book!

For god's sake the plot is boring, the characters idiotic and the heroine... I want to kill the heroine!

Bianca is actually a baby, and I don't mean the fact that she is 16, I mean that she is a naive, whiny, scared little girl who makes one bad decision after another!

We also have the "admirers".

Bachelor No1, "Lucas"... Lucas thinks himself a protector! Oh, but he is gorgeous! My cousin is g
The first words that come to mind are dumb & instalove. I've read worse (really, I have -- just recently, in fact :P). But I've read better. So...there you go.

Part of the problem is how everyone talks & acts like they're 7 instead of 17 (or 19, in other cases). The romance is schmoopy-lovey-dovey-eyes for no good reason other than the fact that it's instalove, & therefore everyone should be on board with Bianca & Lucas as a central pairing. Alas, Bianca & Lucas are personali
Joyzi
Oct 25, 2010 Joyzi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind rip-offs
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
What I like:
>The book has vampires and vampire hunters in it.
>The book has an interesting love triangle.
>I love Lucas.
>It wasn't boring and a nice quick read.
>Truth is it's hard to put the book down.
>I love that the story has twists in it.

What I don't like:
>Lacks originality, the plot is a mix of Twilight (average girl goes to new school, falls for hot, mysterious guy) and Vampire Knight (love story between a vampire and a vampire hunter).
>Cheesy dialogues that made me wa
Jen (The Bookavid)
Originally Published On My Review Blog The Bookavid

In EVERNIGHT, Bianca has to attend a boarding school when her parents take up new jobs as teachers there.

What intrigued me: I love Gray's Firebird series and am unable to pass up any vampire book.

Desperately Overdone Concept

EVERNIGHT undeniably follows the example of countless boarding school novels before it and it's absolutely not my cup of tea. There is no ounce of originality in this, from instant love, to mundane class scenes, to the my
Buggy
Opening Line: “It was the first day of school, which meant it was my last chance to escape.”

This had been sitting on my bookshelf for a couple of years. I guess I bought it during the whole Twilight/vampire craze, I don’t remember. Anyways I finally got around to reading it and it took me ages to get through although I can’t quite put my finger on why? Could be that I’m just done with this type of story, you know teens and angst and high school drama with a side of vampires, plus this was just m
Aeron Trahaearn
(This book is 3 1/2 stars worth)
Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...WTF WAS THIS??
I will try to sum up my reaction in Gif:-

FIRST 10 %

I'm patiently waiting for there to be a point in all this...

...25%...

...35%...

I cant believe this IS A LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT STORY!!

...40%...

I have better things to do...

...50%....

"what...wha..what was THAT??!! she was..she...she was IT all along??"
...65%...

TELL HIM ALREADY!!

...80%...

....Love is in the air!!

...95%...

HE HAS SKELETONS IN HIS CLOSET???

Margaret Stohl
Jul 29, 2009 Margaret Stohl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compulsively readable. Like, went to go buy the next book that night but they didn't have it at Dolly's...Will drive into SLC tomorrow for the sequel. Is that so wrong?
Sarah M
Apr 04, 2011 Sarah M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-own
I enjoyed this!

I have seen this around the book store a couple times, but didnt really think anything of it. Then one day my mom saw the newest one in the series, and said "Sarah this one look good". Of course I knew that there where three more ahead of that one so I went and picked it up. Glad I did.

For me there where 3 twists in this book. The two that happened at once, the third later on. I was pretty shocked actually. I did suspect the vampire thing though. Bianca is likeable, I didn't mind
Yani
Aviso : la reseña tiene un spoiler (no es grave, pero es spoiler al fin) que oculté debidamente.

Encontré pocas cosas que me gustaron de este libro, pero son lo suficientemente buenas (desde mi perspectiva, claro está) como para que no pasara a integrar mi lista negra de una sola estrella. Es un 2.5 que no quise redondear hacia arriba porque he leído inicios de series mejores. Una equiparación hubiera sido algo injusta.

Bianca es una chica de dieciséis años a la que se le ocurre fugarse de la es
Wendy F
Jul 20, 2011 Wendy F rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just can't give it one star, though I really didn't like it. One star ratings are for books that made me want to pluck out my eyeballs. I didn't want to do that, but only by a little.

This book was so stupid. It was just stupid. The world, the ideas, the vampires... just stupid. The only thing that even remotely made it interesting was Lucas and the bit he brought into it. Still, even the Black Crosses weren't enough to save this one for me.

I took notes as I was reading. There were many times
Annalisa
Jan 25, 2010 Annalisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annalisa by: Annie
Gray starts out luring readers into believing they are reading a Twilight replica: the bronze-haired boy with chiseled features (yes, she uses the word the words bronze and chiseled) who is way too fast to be normal and such uncanny perception that maybe he can read minds. Then there's the unpretty, unsure-of-herself girl protagonist with her copy of Wuthering Heights that is shy and out of place in her new school and confused about these strange students who don't seem to eat and are way too be ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Sixteen-year-old Bianca Olivier is the only daughter of two teachers who have decided that to help Bianca overcome her shyness and become more involved in the world, they are sending her to Evernight Academy, an isolated boarding school. She's not going alone though: both her parents get teaching jobs at the school, but Bianca hates it as soon as she sees it. With its huge towers, gargoyles and Gothic architecture, the old school intimidates her as much as the principal, Mrs Bethany, does.

On the
kari
Jun 02, 2010 kari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2010
Surprisingly, I really enoyed this book. It was almost on the edge of eyerolling, but was rescued just in time.
Bianca, an awkward, shy young teenage girl, begins the year at a new school where she meets Lucas, a mysterious boy with bronze hair that warns her away from him while yet another dark haired and muscular boy, Balthazar, whom she thinks of as only a friend, is also interested in her. Sound vaguely familiar?
Bianca spends too much time thinking about Lucas, almost to where I was starting
 ᴍɪᴄs ✖shut me up already✖
Pense que iba ser igual que Crepúsculo pero me lleve una sorpresa. No estuvo tan mal, es bastante genérico pero que se yo, al menos me distraje leyéndolo y en ningún momento quise matar a alguien XD
Kimberly Derting
Maybe I'm the only one who didn't see that there was a twist coming, but *holy cow* when it happened, I was completely floored! EVERNIGHT = WIN!!! I can't wait to get my hands on STARGAZER!
Nicole - Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die-
3.5

Bianca wants to escape.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on
Gabrielly
I've known this book existed for a very long time but never actually had the urge to read it. I guess the covers never caught my attention and I never bothered to read the synopsis, so when the Love is All Around challenge started I decided to give it a go because hey it's red haha.

So the story follows Bianca when she first starts Evernight academy with her parents as professors. She soon meets her other classmates who are full of themselves except for a few, the ones that made this story actual
~Tina~
Jan 02, 2010 ~Tina~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
::SPOILER ALERT::

Before anything else, I'm just going to get this part out of the way...

So I'm reading this book, and for awhile there I was wondering why it had so many bad reviews? I was having a lot of fun with the world, the characters and the charming love story.

Then...chapter 8 happened!

Seven chapters into this story, we view Bianca as a shy 16 year old kid. She's mad at her parents for bring her to Evernight, a bordering school that her parents will be teaching at. She doesn't think she b
The Nooks of Books: Evernight 1 2 Jan 28, 2015 02:27AM
Can't wait to read this book! 4 16 Aug 04, 2014 03:38AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Evernight series - Claudia Gray Restarting April 7th 2014 184 74 Apr 05, 2014 06:51PM
  • Kissing Coffins (Vampire Kisses, #2)
  • The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2)
  • Vampire Beach: Volume 2 (Vampire Beach, #3-4)
  • Crave (Crave, #1)
  • Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)
  • My Love Lies Bleeding (Drake Chronicles, #1)
  • Eternal (Tantalize, #2)
  • Full Moon (Dark Guardian, #2)
  • Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1)
  • Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3)
  • Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3)
  • The Initiation / The Captive Part I (The Secret Circle, #1-2)
  • Meridian (Fenestra, #1)
1192311
Claudia Gray is not my real name. I didn't choose a pseudonym because my real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because I'd always dreamed of calling myself this (I haven't) or even because I'm hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel I smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, I took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actual ...more
More about Claudia Gray...

Evernight (5 books)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
  • Hourglass (Evernight, #3)
  • Afterlife (Evernight, #4)
  • Balthazar (Evernight, #5)

6 trivia questions
8 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“It’s funny—when people call you “shy,” they usually smile. Like it’s cute, some funny little habit you’ll
grow out of when you’re older, like the gaps in your grin when your baby teeth fall out. If they knew
how it felt—really being shy, not just unsure at first—they wouldn’t smile. Not if they knew how the
feeling knots up your stomach or makes your palms sweat or robs you of the ability to say anything that
makes sense. It’s not cute at all.”
449 likes
“Self-knowledge is better than self-control any day," Raquel said firmly. "And I know myself well enough to know how I act around cookies.” 405 likes