The Soul Key (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #67)

The Soul Key (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Continuing the events from Star Trek: Fearful Symmetry, a new novel in the ongoing Deep Space Nine series set after the end of the critically acclaimed television series.

Captain Kira’s lookalike, Iliana Ghemor, dreams of fulfilling a prophecy that will mark her as the one true Emissary of the mirror universe—a messianic figure who will lead her followers into a war that c...more
Published July 28th 2009 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published July 15th 2009)

Wes O'Dell
Joe Robles
Julia
It’s been quite awhile since I read any of the Star Trek DS9 relaunches. This one is about the alternate universe and alternatively Kira, the Intendent, Iliani Ghemor who is a Cardassian Obsidian Order operative surgically altered to look exactly like Kira. We find out in this book why Taran’ator betrayed Kira, Odo and Star Fleet.

Quark asks Ezri a question:
“There’s a nasty rumor going around that you’re thinking of moving on – as in, transferring off the station. There wouldn’t be any truth to...more
Daniel
The next story in the Deep Space Nine relaunch continues with the alternate universe. In "The Soul Key" "Kira" tries to complete her plan in becoming the Emissary for the alternate side. Unlike the previous novel in this alternate universe story arc, this one does not have quite so many flashbacks but they are still there. The majority of this novel does take place on the alternate side and is much more brutal than the "Prime" universe we all know so well. Ultimately, this book left several door...more
Matthew Bowers
Reread. My original review from 2009 still stands:

Starts off slow, but eventually ramps up into an exciting and mostly satisfying action-packed conclusion, including an excellent tease for the upcoming Ascendants storyline. I'm happy the mirror universe story is finished, as I rather got sick of that trope during the series proper. What with all the crossovers and whatnot coming up, however, I'm wondering when they'll get back to the Ascendants storyline.

One thing that bugged me: Why was it so i...more
Derek Oberg
Another good one. I was worried about a Mirror Universe story, but this one was done well.
Luke
Picking up pretty much exactly where Fearful Symmetry left off, "The Soul Key" continues the tale of Illiana Ghemor and her quest to become Emissary of alternate Bajor

The return to the alternate universe was fun, it was great to see how things had carried on there after the series. The book also took a deeper look into the mythology of the prophets and their overall plan. This was interesting too.

After a slow start, the books picks up and I found it hard to put down.
David
I enjoyed the book, but was annoyed by one thing. The previous book in the series was almost all a flashback to events in the past, so I was looking forward to moving forward to events moving forward. Admittedly, moch less of this book was flashbacks, but it was enough that I felt the events in the "present" was being given short shrift.
Nicole
I very much enjoyed this book. The story is the third of a three-book story that started with Warpath and Fearful Symmetry.

The shorts of it: Finally, some action!
Joseph Stiles
Joseph Stiles marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Insultobot
Insultobot marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Geoff
Geoff added it
Jul 06, 2014
Beeh
Beeh marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Emmy
Emmy marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Never Ending Sacrifice
  • Rising Son (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #52)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #4)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • The Lives of Dax
Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)