Start by marking “Bury Me Deep: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Bury Me Deep: A Novel

Bury Me Deep: A Novel

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  907 ratings  ·  142 reviews
By the author of Dare Me and The End of Everything

In October 1931, a station agent found two large trunks abandoned in Los Angeles’s Southern Pacific Station. What he found inside ignited one of the most scandalous tabloid sensations of the decade.

Inspired by this notorious true crime, Edgar®-winning author Megan Abbott’s novel Bury Me Deep is
Published July 7th 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published June 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bury Me Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bury Me Deep

Dan 1.0
Marion Seeley is left in Phoenix by her doctor husband as he goes to Mexico to kick his smack habit. Marion gets a job at a hospital and falls in with two other nurses, Ginny and Louise, and soon falls under the spell of a friend of theirs, Joe Lanigan. But Joe's intentions are anything but honorable.

First of all, I love Megan Abbott's writing. She's like James Ellroy only not so exhausting, and her noir books could easily be made into 1930's era films. However...

... I've read three of her books
F.R.
It’s a real pity that Megan Abbott wasn’t pitching stories on the Warner Brothers lot in the Thirties or Forties, as she could have created numerous great vehicles for a Bette Davis or a Joan Crawford. With her there we could easily have had a dozen Mildred Pierces.

Tough, edgy, but with enough melodrama to supply material for a woman’s picture, ‘Bury Me Deep’ is an excellent crime throwback to the depression. It’s Arizona 1931 and a receptionist, whose husband has left temporarily on a foreign t
Tfitoby
I think my feelings towards the work of Megan Abbott have been made pretty clear in the past, but in filling this gap in my reading I feel exhausted and disappointed. Generally I can't praise her or her noir writing skills enough but today I don't have a huge amount of pleasant things on my mind.

This is the reimagining of a true story, 1931's Trunk Murderess case, it seems perfect for an Abbott noir and she does so much right with it. The tale of Mrs Seeley, abandoned by her drug-addicted doctor
Lee Thompson
I'm in love with Megan Abbott's writing.
Ed
Choice noir from one of my favorite authors in the genre but is much more in a literary vein. Bleak but then 1931 was a bleak time. The prose is powerful and to my tastes.
Trixie Fontaine
After reading Queenpin and this one, I'm a lovestruck fan of Megan Abbott. Super entertaining, provocative, dark, sweet . . . massively sexy about stuff that if she spelled it out in detail, I'd just be like BARFORAMA! but instead she just makes you feel the all-consuming bigness of wanting someone or something to just obliterate everything else so you'd do absolutely anything for them or it. Abbott knows how to mention the unmentionable as just . . . unmentionable so you get the feeling of out- ...more
James Thane
Megan Abbott reimagines the true story of Winnie Judd, the infamous 1931 "Trunk Murderess" of Phoenix, Arizona. In Abbott's fictional account, an attractive young woman named Marion Seeley, is left alone by her husband, a doctor, who is going to Latin America temporarily.

Marion gets a job at a medical clinic and is befriended by two party girls, one of whom is a nurse at the clinic where Marion works. Marion soon falls under the influence of the women who supplement their income by entertaining
Hester
Oh Wikipedia you are a gift to the world, without you I never would have learned of Winnie Ruth Judd and the notorious trunk murders. How I stared at that dismembered leg in horror. Thank you Megan Abbott for going in your way back machine and bringing the world this clusterfuck of intrigue, murder, illicit sex, lesbianism and dope addiction.

Marion Seeley has been burdened with a husband who can’t keep a job due to his morphine addiction. His latest attempt at a livelihood and sobriety is takin
Abbey
BURY ME DEEP, Megan Abbott
2009, noir, historical, based on true crime. Nice young woman in 1931 Phoenix abbandoned by her husband, falls in with a wild crowd' once awakened to the good times possible she enjoys herself rather a lot, but eventually must pay for it - and she's not the only one.

Minister's daughter, young and innocent Marion Seeley has gone and married herself a rotter, a drug addict who drags her down with him as he slowly loses control over his desires. Attempting one last chance
Sigrid Ellis
Abbott's prose is well worth your time. It most reminded me of Shirley Jackson's _The Haunting of Hill House_, honestly. When I mentioned this on Twitter, Abbott replied that she LOVES Jackson's work, and it was a big influence on her. I don't mind when people's influences show, not when they are lovingly borrowing with the skill Abbott displays here.

The story is a typical noir-crime, with drugs and affairs and lesbians and corrupt officials. Yet it's *how* the story is told that is compelling.
Jean
I think Megan Abbott is incredibly smart. I love how Bury Me Deep is deeply feminist, and yet also thoughtfully entrenched in the conventional morality of the early 20th century. I also thought the plot was very well-constructed -- you follow the heroine as she is compelled headlong toward her own destruction, and it's (of course) both horrible and delicious.

My main criticism is that the language was excessively flowery, and the dialogue was way too affected. I realize that's deliberate, but it
Tiffani
Ever since I read Dare Me last year I have been eagerly working my way through Megan Abbott's backlist. This time it was Bury Me Deep. Inspired by a true crime involving a grisly discovery inside a steamer trunk, Bury Me Deep tells the story of a young woman abandoned by her husband in Phoenix. The woman is Marion Seeley and her doctor husband has gone to Mexico to kick his drug habit. He promises to come back some day. In the meantime Marion finds a job at a medical clinic and makes friends wit ...more
MikeS
Bury Me Deep is a hard-hitting femme noir about Marion Seeley, a young nurse whose husband, Dr. Seeley, is away on business. In his absence, Marion is befriended by two swinging and raucous dames, Ginny and Louise, who draw Marion into their lifestyle of all night parties, booze, drugs, and the prominent and irresistible, “Gentleman” Joe Lanigan. What follows is Abbott’s version of the true crime case of Winnie Ruth Judd, the “Trunk Murderess” aka the “Blond Butcher” that, in 1931, left the coun ...more
MSJ (Sarah)
The first half was a bit slow but once the murders took place it was a fast ride downhill. Reading the book blurb I knew that this was based on a true crime story of "The Trunk Murderess" - the discovery of body pieces in two large trunks at a Los Angeles train station in 1931. Thus while reading the first half I was trying to figure out who would wind up in those trunks and how they would get there. This part was a tad disappointing as there were little surprises along the way.

While the actual
Donna
This one was a little difficult to get caught up in at first, possibly because the good-girl protagonist and real world inspiration made for a quiet start. Once I adjusted to the book's style, more a slow spiral of doom than an action-heavy thriller, I really enjoyed it.

Marion was a relatable, sympathetic woman drawn to a kind of life that she isn't supposed to want. She's soon surrounded by new friends, hard liquor, and wild parties, all funded by the most respectable men in town. But of course
Greg of A2
My first Megan Abbott novel and I was impressed. I could really appreciate the work she put in to create dialogue (with appropriate slang) from the novel's 1930's time period. The main characters were really well defined and I often felt frustrated by the decisions some of them made (particularly Marion Seely). But that frustration was obviously the writer's intent. I despised Joe Lanigan pretty early on as he was an obvious (to me) player. He got a bit less than he deserved in the end but some ...more
Julia
Aug 17, 2013 Julia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shawn Reilly Simmons
This book had a slow start, but it has picked up very nicely. I had been interesting in Winnie Ruth Judd since coming across her picture with the caption "trunk murderess" in one of my law enforcement father's crime books (which I was NOT supposed to be reading) when I was about 11 years old. This story is definitely loyal to the noir genre, the writing is tight and effective. She puts an interesting spin on a true crime story. Makes me wonder how it all really happened. Well Done.
DH Hanni
First I must say that the language is quite lovely and it was a really quick read. I don't think I've ever read any noir and I'm not sure if I want to read much more.

I have been trying to figure out what it is about this book that prevents me from liking it more and I honestly can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's because I'm not too terribly interested in this time period. Maybe because it felt like the author had a disconnect with the main character. The book is heavily influenced by a real l
Charmaine Clancy
Megan Abbott has a lovely way with descriptions. Her language is lyrical. I appreciated the way she shows human weakness without judgment. I did find this story a little slow, but that is probably my own fault, I was expecting to read a mystery and this is a crime novel. You know who commits the crime, you're right there with them. I'll definitely try another of Megan Abbott's femme noir.
Heidi Kneale
Normally I don't read noir or based-on-true crime, but the cover I could stare at for hours, the blurb enticed me and I was drawn into the book until the last word.

I found it an evocative and heart-breaking story. I was enthralled as I watched Marion's spiral into darkness. This is what loneliness and an unquenched desire to be wanted and loved could lead to.

I love how she retained a shred of her innocence to the very end, despite finding herself in a situation well over her head. I need to read
Mandy
This was only okay in the end.
At first I hated it. The writing style drove me mad. I kept thinking that I should just put it down. But the story began to intrigue me, and I got used to the writing.
The ending was a lot better than I expected too. So, in the end, a solid three star read.
Jessica
Apparently this is not one of Megan Abbott's better books, but it was the cheapest of them in the Kindle Store when I bought it. It was still one of those books that made me wish Goodreads allowed 3.5 star ratings… I don't even care about any other half-star levels, I just want 3.5! This is to say I liked it better than "just" liking it, but did I REALLY like it? Eh, well…

The problem with this book is that the first two-thirds or so are pretty slow. It is not that fun reading about Marion Seeley
melahknee
I liked this book, but not as much as the other Megan Abbott books I’ve read (there wasn’t enough gangster moll action for me). It’s based on a true story, which I didn’t really know about until half way through (I often like to go into books quite blind, so I don’t get distracted from the story and it all feels quite fresh), but that was interesting and I feel like I might look a little further into the lady who this was based on. I feel a bit sorry for her. So, I imagine that a bit of license ...more
Andrew
"Bury Me Deep" is a highly infectious noirish romp based on a true life double murder which took place in 1931. Abbott gets right into the psyche of her characters, creating believable complex beings who flit between light and dark, truth and lies, who are falling apart at the seams and embracing solace wherever they can find it. The prose is excellent, capturing the times superbly, and it's also a real page turner.

It might have been a five star book if not for a final section which felt a littl
Pat
While I enjoyed this book, I found it oddly distant. Perhaps it was partly all the language running around in circles to avoid just telling us Marion was having sex with Joe Lanigan, a smooth talking Phoenix 'businessman'who owns a string of pharmacies. Joe's business is never explained but it's strongly hinted that it's not all legal. Whether he's a bootlegger or drug dealer, he's not the man he portrays himself to be to Marion.

Marion is a young, beautiful newlywed whose husband is out of the c
Paul
Period noir based on a true story, with style to spare, and a powerful statement about gender iniquities one rarely finds in crime/noir fiction. Very well done.
Melissa
This is no Queenpin, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. It was pretty hard to stomach Marion for the first 30-40 pages, but she grew on me.
Ellen
This is a very interesting novel. Based on a true story about bodies found stuffed in a trunk in a train station in LA in 1931, this book is written something like William Faulkner and something like Theodore Dreiser. The language is a headlong rush from beginning to end. The story is one of weak wills and weaker morals. Three nurses meet. Two wordly and one innocent who slowly sinks under the weight of being alone and lonely. Marion Seeley, the innocent, quickly loses her way after her husband ...more
Rob Kitchin
Bury Me Deep is inspired by the notorious 1931 ‘trunk murders’ crime. It follows certain factual aspects of that story to frame the narrative, but the story itself is fiction and the ending is substantially different. There is plenty to like about the book, but the real strengths for me are the prose, the pace, the character development, and the plotting. Abbott is clearly something of a wordsmith and the prose is very nicely written. The pace is even and relenting, where it could have been rush ...more
Patti
Jun 07, 2009 Patti rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like dark stories, or noir
Recommended to Patti by: Kathy F
Megan Abbott is such an amazing writer! She always takes you directly to the time period she's writing in, and you feel you are there as the story unfolds.

This title, due out in July, takes place in Arizona, in 1931, as Mrs. Marion Seeley is left behind there by her husband so that the dry air can heal her consumption. Her husband, a doctor with licensing problems due to drug addiction, goes to work in Mexico for a mining company as their doctor.

Marion befriends a coworker, Louise, and Louise's
  • Fludd
  • The Key to Skandos: A tale of adventure, love and magic
  • Boom!
  • Fade to Blonde
  • The Burnt Orange Heresy
  • Choke Hold (Hard Case Crime, #104)
  • In a Lonely Place
  • The Best American Noir of the Century
  • Bust (Max & Angela, #1)
  • After Dark, My Sweet
  • Damn Near Dead: An Anthology of Geezer Noir
  • Hard Feelings
  • The Wounded and the Slain
  • Shooting Star/Spiderweb (Hard Case Crime #42)
  • Tomato Red
  • Rendezvous in Black
Megan Abbott is the Edgar award-winning author of the novels The End of Everything Queenpin, The Song Is You, Die a Little, Bury Me Deep and her latest, Dare Me (July 2012).

Her writing has appeared in the New York Times, Salon, the Los Angeles Times Magazine, The Believer, Los Angeles Review of Books, Detroit Noir, Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year, Storyglossia, Queens Noir and The Speed
More about Megan Abbott...
Dare Me The Fever The End of Everything Queenpin Die a Little