Start by marking “Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!” as Want to Read:
Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!

Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  9 reviews

Giving new meaning to the term "fast food"

Rest-stop grade F meat patty? Nah. Nuggets of reconstituted poultry bits? Pass. Deep-fried fish discus? No, really, thanks all the same.

It's time to bid farewell to the roadside meal as you know it. Nearly twenty years ago, Chris Maynard and Bill Scheller opened the world's eyes to the beautym of car-engine gastronomy in the
Published November 18th 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Manifold Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manifold Destiny

Tracey
Sep 09, 2007 Tracey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of oddball topics dealt with seriously
I've had Manifold Destiny : The One The Only Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine by Chris Maynard & Bill Scheller for several years & find myself returning to its tongue-in-cheek attitude every once in a while.

As explained in the subtitle - they do indeed provide detailed information on how to cook on your car engine. Inspired by a desire to keep a pound of pastrami hot while on a trip from Montreal back to Boston, Chris and Bill decided to experiment with preparing meals while on the ro
DeeDee
Not likely to read this cover to cover, but it DID give me the courage to Car B Q 4 lbs of chicken wings under the hood of my Jeep last weekend.
FYI, it takes 200 miles to do this. Trip back from Owasipee camp with my boys provided the excuse/opportunity.
Worked nicely for a first try, too.
Wonder when I'll have the courage (and the itinerary) to try a pork roast? heh

Trishtator
These two northesterners wrote a fantastic book. The recipes are divided by U.S. regions, but I find the "western" recipes are a little off the mark. Where's the beef?? Still, the technique is excellent, and I'm excited for roadtripping!
Darlene
Cook time in miles.... awesome and reminiscent of growing up taking car trips.
Heather
love the tongue-in-cheek, mildly sarcastic prose between the instructions and recipes. plotting road trips so i can try the concept out! the recipes are straight forward and seem decent, nothing revolutionary except the cooking method.
Deb
Jun 27, 2008 Deb rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: foodies like me
The recipes are okay, but the info on where you can put things atop your car engine is invaluable. The book mentioned this as being the #1 question, so I'll share the answer: No, your food won't taste like oil or exhaust.
Rob
Plan to have baked 'salmon w lemons' when we visit Tahlequah in a couple weeks. Also identifying other road meals when we head to the coast in a month.... :)
Sandy
The title fascinated me so I had to read it. Unique and witty, real recipes to cook while driving are presented.
Misfit
Aug 17, 2012 Misfit marked it as will-never-read  ·  review of another edition
Erm, amazing what you can find in products tagged Amazon oddities on a slow work day :D
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Lindsey Forbis
Lindsey Forbis marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Tina Standish
Tina Standish marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Denise Smith
Denise Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Theo
Theo marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Luci Peterson
Luci Peterson marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Matthew Mullin
Matthew Mullin marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Rumps
Rumps marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Christiane B.
Christiane B. marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2013
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Backyard Science: In The Kitchen The Bad-For-You Cookbook Kitchen Science Aircraft: Factbook (Piccolo Books) Ghosts