Start by marking “Germania: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Germania: A Novel

Germania: A Novel

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In their youth, Manni and Franzi, together with their brothers, Ziggy and Sebastian, captured Germany's collective imagination as the Flying Magical Loerber Brothers -- one of the most popular vaudeville acts of the old Weimar days. The ensuing years have, however, found the Jewish brothers estranged and ensconced in various occupations as the war is drawing near its end a ...more
Published February 10th 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 9th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Germania, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Germania

Lee Mandel
A fascinating look at the end of World War II in Europe and the short-lived Flensburg government that succeded the Third Reich. Brendan McNally creates the factual picture of those days, weaving the actual historical figures with the fictitious Flying Magical Loerber Brothers, to create a historical novel that keeps the reader turning the pages. Well done!
Crystal
I really enjoyed this story. It has some far out fiction mixed right in with true facts. Perfect! I like to read about WWII and McNally did a great job gathering facts and making them interesting. Don't be dismayed by my 3 stars. I really enjoyed this, but wouldn't go out of my way to read it again.
Brendan
Apr 30, 2009 Brendan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Actually, I wrote the dang book, so my opinions on how great it is, is not to be trusted
Ron Chicaferro
Brendan McNally's first novel, Germania, is superb. It's the history of what happened at the end of World War II in a part of Germany called Flensburg. Much has been written about the start of World War II but reading about the ending was an eye-opener. How some of the SS tried to escape punishment. How some of the regular German military officers had to pay the ultimate price for the excesses of the SS. How the regular German military had to admit, first to themselves then to history that they ...more
J.R.
Nov 06, 2008 J.R. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in WW2-era history.
This novel provides a fascinating glimpse at the final days of the Third Reich. I was distracted by the author's focus on magic rather than a straight telling of the story through an intriguing cast of characters.
Still, I enjoyed the novel and will be looking forward to Brendan McNally's next effort.
You can read my full review on Amazon.
Sheree
I really wanted to like this book; the first couple of chapters started out intriguing. But by the third chapter I found myself skimming, hoping something would happen. Unfortunately, the characters never really grew on me, and the story seemed to drag...so I stopped reading and put the book back in the 'return to library pile'.
Cindy
What a strange book! Set in Germany following WWII. Uses real people with some not-so-real events. An odd combo of fiction and non-fiction put together in one.
Dave Millard
Very interesting book about the Third Reich after Hitler died - did you know he had a successor? Historical with a fantastical twist to it. I enjoyed it
Maeta
Very promising book, with some interesting possibilities. But falls short on delivery. Ending too ambiguous, with too many ends left untied.
Liviu
Feb 11, 2009 Liviu marked it as tried-but-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
I was very excited about the subject of this book, but the prose just did not work for me being very flat
Kat
Any fan of history will love this book. I found it very interesting and a worth it read.
Heather Domin
[to be reviewed for HNS Feb. 2009:]
Diabledhcherrybomb
Diabledhcherrybomb marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Mickey
Mickey marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Elina
Elina marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Tomáš Zemko
Tomáš Zemko marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Matthew Walleser
Matthew Walleser marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013