Start by marking “Days Like This: A Collection of Small Poems” as Want to Read:
Days Like This: A Collection of Small Poems

Days Like This: A Collection of Small Poems

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"Each brief verse has the rhythmic lilt and play with sounds and meaning that so engage young children. . . . But James's illustrations are the best feature of this inviting collection." —THE HORN BOOK (starred review)

DAYS LIKE THIS is a book of celebration — whether it's the novelty of sleeping outdoors, the delight of picnicking on the beach, or the sheer joy of bouncing
Published March 3rd 2005 by Candlewick Press (first published October 4th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Days Like This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days Like This

Lucia Rial
This book contains a variety of short rhythmic poems, ideal for ages 5 - 7. Approximately 80% of the book is made up of illustrations. The images are simple, delicate prints which link to each other in some way. Each visual is made up of simple black out – lines, filled with watercolour pastel colours.
I thought that this book is great book to get children reading and moving. Children are able to skip to the rhythm of the poems and read them to each other. This book would be great to be used edu
Vrinda
Days Like This by Simon James is a collection of small poems written by varying authors. It is an endearing anthology intended for Primary (P) readers. The book contains free-flowing, rhythmical poems revolving around different activities, many adventuresome and naturalistic, done during the day.

The poems compiling this collection are relatable for young readers, and enjoyable for older. The arrangement of the poems is logical and form-fitting. This collection has a range of poetry which suppor
Christopher
2nd grade - 4th grade

This book has very short poetry. The poems are all a stanza or two in length. Each poem uses a rhyme scheme. The pages are mostly illustrations and the poem takes up about 15% of the page. This book is great for very young readers who are trying to gain fluency. The poems are all short enough that a pre-fluency reader won't forget what the beginning of the poem is about by the time they reach the end.

Language Arts/Fine Arts

Lesson Plan: I would use this book to show one way t
Dolly
May 02, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful collection of poems that are short and entertaining. The entire book can easily be read at one time and the poems are easy for children to understand. The illustrations are colorful and cartoonish.

I love discovering poetry books for our girls - I know that our oldest especially is a poet at heart and I want to foster her love for this kind of writing. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Dana
Jun 18, 2008 Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poems
this is probably one of my favorite poetry books. I love the poem called A lazy thought. It is about parents and how much of in a hurry they are and that they can't grow up anymore because growing takes time. I thought it was funny.
Drew B.
I would recomend this book to poetry lovers & kids who like short poems mostly about school & the summer time. I mostly didn't like this book because I think I'm a little to old to read this.
The Styling Librarian
Days Like This by Simon James - What a beautiful poetry book that got me in the mood for a beautiful Spring and Summer day. Loved this collection of small poems, just lovely.
Karen
A very nice collection of poetry that students will definitely connect with. Appealing illustrations. Great for younger grades.
Tara Garner
Poetry. Great collection of small, simple poems. Good book to introduce poetry to those who havn'e read much of it.
JaNeal
A small, sweet anthology with some of my favorite poems--delightful illustrations add their own charm.
Laura Komos
Great collection of poems! I love the connections to nature and adventure.
Xiaohui Yang
lovely small poems for emergent poets
Jen Vaughan
Jen Vaughan marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Hs
Hs added it
Jun 23, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
Jun 09, 2014
Shirley Edwards
Shirley Edwards marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Gary Masskin
Gary Masskin marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Simon James is the award-winning author-illustrator of many children’s books, including such favorites as DEAR GREENPEACE, LEON AND BOB, and the Baby Brains series. His stories often concern a child’s relationship with the natural world. Simon James lives in England.
More about Simon James...
Dear Mr. Blueberry Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World Ancient Rome George Flies South Nurse Clementine