Start by marking “My Two Polish Grandfathers: And Other Essays on the Imaginative Life” as Want to Read:
My Two Polish Grandfathers: And Other Essays on the Imaginative Life

My Two Polish Grandfathers: And Other Essays on the Imaginative Life

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  7 reviews
AWARD-WINNING AND CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED WRITER WITOLD RYBCZYNSKI DELIVERS A REVELATORY COLLECTION OF LINKED AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL ESSAYS -- PART MEMOIR, PART FAMILY HISTORY -- ABOUT THE UPHEAVALS OF EUROPEAN LIVES DURING WORLD WAR II, HIS OWN INTELLECTUAL DEVELOPMENT, AND THE UNIVERSAL LANGUAGES OF ART, MUSIC, AND ARCHITECTURE.

Witold Rybczynski's parents and grandparents were
Published February 3rd 2009 by Scribner (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about My Two Polish Grandfathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Two Polish Grandfathers

Vivian Van
I was hoping to read more about the Polish grandfathers. It was really a book about the author. Still interesting .
Susan
It's not often that a book reflecting on a turbulent time can co-exist with an 'imaginative life'. Although Rybczynski's family wasn't spared the trauma's of war time, they were clearly less scarred. The essays that front the book were, for me, more interesting than his musings on the inspirations of his career in architecture. Good writing and just enough history woven in to the family story.
cliff
A short and interesting narrative of the author's family's experiences in Europe and England and Canada during the first and second world wars - and his own education, leading to his becoming an author and architect. I wish their had been more detail on the two grandfathers' lives and experiences.
Kater Cheek
This book is a collection of essays about the author's early architecture career and about his history as a polish emigree. The essays are tied together well, and arranged in a nearly linear fasion, which makes it read more like a memoir than an anthology.
Michele
I am not that good with non-fiction...got about halfway through and had had enough
Maureen
Interesting, but it was really about him, not his grandfathers so much.
Chris
I enjoyed the book; Rybcynski's family history is interesting.
Kamil
Kamil marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Maria Sammut
Maria Sammut marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Tiffany_ge Ge
Tiffany_ge Ge marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Terri UK
Terri UK marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Leni
Leni marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Inge B
Inge B added it
Aug 12, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Evgeniy
Evgeniy marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Witold Rybczynski was born in Edinburgh, of Polish parentage, raised in London, and attended Jesuit schools in England and Canada. He studied architecture at McGill University in Montreal, where he also taught for twenty years. He is currently the Martin and Margy Meyerson Professor of Urbanism at the University of Pennsylvania, where he also co-edits the Wharton Real Estate Review. Rybczynski has ...more
More about Witold Rybczynski...
Home: A Short History of an Idea A Clearing in the Distance: Frederick Law Olmsted and America in the 19th Century One Good Turn: A Natural History of the Screwdriver and the Screw The Most Beautiful House in the World Last Harvest: How a Cornfield Became New Daleville: Real Estate Development in America from George Washington to the Builders of the Twenty-First Century, and Why We Live in Houses Anyway