Start by marking “Days Like This ” as Want to Read:
Days Like This

Days Like This

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  18 reviews
J. Torres, who used memory to great effect in The Copybook Tales, now casts his eye back to the early '60s, when pop music ruled the airwaves. Days Like This follows the formation of "Tina & the Tiaras," a new girl group, as they rise up the charts and overcome personal obstacles to become stars. Featuring stunning art by newcomer Scott Chantler that's reminiscent of t ...more
Published May 19th 2003 by Oni Press (first published April 15th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Days Like This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days Like This

Seth Hahne
To begin with, a poorly-devised haiku review:

Not so innocent
That rock can't corrupt a soul
No day like today

________________

Days Like This is hard to put into words, but abrupt might be an adequate descriptor. I hadn't read the slim volume in several years and as we were packing up the house for a move I pulled it out of a box to read that night. What I had remembered was that it was an enjoyable story with enjoyable art but that the tale ended way too soon.

And that's probably about how I'd desc
Leslie
It is the early 1960s and recent divorcee Anna Solomon is about to strike out on her own in her ex-husband’s world: the music business. She isn’t the only one launching her career. A fresh young female song writer is looking to sell her work where she can, and three high school singers are starting out where many do: the church choir and a school talent show. Its just good timing that the three paths should intersect, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t going to be easy.

"Ben (the ex-brother-in-law: S
Mark Desrosiers
Brief, bowdlerized saga about the formation of an early-sixties girl group ("Tina and the Tiaras": seriously that name coulda flown only circa 1981!). Reads mostly like a droll sitcom pilot, with most dosh and all psychosexual politics excised from the grim reality. The whole enterprise is saved by a cranky afterword from Jamie S. Rich, wherein he offers both the Flaming Lips and John Mayer a kicking.
Kristen
I liked the time period and subject of this graphic novel, but I really wished for something more substantial. The plot and characters are extremely simple, which IMO was a missed opportunity on the authors' part. Very little information about the culture and music of the era is given in the story, so chances are good that younger readers will be lost. The afterword doesn't help either - it is a long rant about the state of the music industry that has little bearing on the rest of the book.
Bill
Oct 09, 2007 Bill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: early 60s pop music enthusiasts
Shelves: comics, music
This short graphic novel follows three plotlines that weave in and out of each other - a woman starting her own record company after divorcing her record exec husband, a trio of inner-city girls trying to make it to the big time as a singing group (like the Supremes, the Ronettes, and any number of others), and a girl in her late teens trying to make it as a songwriter (basically, she's Carole King, and yes, there's a Gerry Coffin equivalent in the mix, too). If you've been waiting for a serious ...more
Gonzalo Oyanedel
La época dorada de los grupos femeninos recuperada en un volumen reverente, pero serio. Un trabajo que es tanto un homenaje como un testimonio de los años en que el Rock & Roll y el Rhytm & Blues dibujaban sonrisas y encendían corazones.
Rosa
This follows the beginning of a girl group called Tina and the Tiaras, a song writer, their manager and her daughter and gives an overview of how pop groups worked back in the fifties and sixties. A lot of different and interesting characters get followed but I did feel like the book wasn't wrapped up. You don't find out what happens to the Tiaras and the songwriter, you don't find out if the manager fixes her relationship with her daughter, only in a superficial sense can you infer what will ha ...more
Jennifer Whiteford
Even before I started this book I told my husband I wished it was longer. It's just a skinny little thing, and it tells such a good story I wanted it to be much bigger. A thinly veiled depiction of the Brill Building in the Goffin/King era, this is really fun to read and I could feel the energy of the time period in the drawings and dialogue. Not easy to evoke a distinct sound (in this case, American pop music of the early 60s) in a comic, but these guys do it. Next time I wish they'd do about t ...more
HeavyReader
This book was kind of boring. It is about three high school girls who make a record. The lead singer's father doesn't want her involved in the record industry. The reader doesn't find out what the families of the backup singers think. The book comes to an end, but not a conclusion. Maybe the author was hoping to write a sequal.

It is a short book and would maybe be good for a young person who doesn't like to read. For a old person who does like to read (me) it was kind of a waste of my time.
Emilia P
This was just fine, I loved the bubbly illustration style. Although I'm not so sure what the point of this only sorta-kinda finished That Thing You Do/Hairspray/something-about-civil-rights/Destiny's Child-lite storyline. Hence the two. Not sure who it was written for, and not sure it's target audience would appreciate it -- yes, the concept of pop music has changed, but... it wanted to be to many things at once and ended up being not much really. Crabcrabcrab.
Federiken Masters
May 02, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Federiken by: Bajo precio
Lo compré pese al horrible error de sobreacentuación del título porque estaba bastante barato, a simple vista parece un comic hecho con amor, y porque creo recordar que había leído una reseña favorable por algún lado. Cuando lo lea veré si valió la pena, aunque supongo que sí.

RESPUESTA: Sí parcial. Otro día me pongo a explicar por qué termino promediando para abajo aunque es una historia bonita.
Starkville Public Library Young Adult Section
Set in the '60s, this book follows the ambitions of Christina and her friends as they find themselves signed by a brand new record label, and Anna Solomon, a recently divorced woman who is starting up her own company by signing three teen girls as Tina and the Tiaras. Will Anna's business succeed, especially when Christina's father is against Christina's involvement with show business.
Corinne
Times were a changin. Pop music was coming into its own and new bands were springing up like dandelions. This graphic novel is set in the thick of this time period and reads a bit like a sitcom. Several different plot lines with some drama but no real depth. It's a quick look at the music industry and one girl band's rise to fame. Fun, but not particularly thoughtful or life changing.
Patty
I picked this book up while I was at the library waiting for a meeting. It was in our young adult section, but I would classify it as juvenile literature. It was a fun, light book probably of interest to kids who are interested in being a musician or music history.

I found this interesting and well written. I just wish that there had been a bit more to it.
Carrie
Very cute story, and like pretty much all the other commenters I'm going to say I wish it had been longer. I would have loved a little more depth to each character, and a bit more satisfying of an ending.
Paul
This is a wonderful story set in mid-Twentith Century urban America. It presents all the optimism, hope and benevolence found in this era.
Love the story, love the style. Too short! I wanted more from the collaboration between the songwriter and Tina.
jessica
cute! i wanted it to be longer.
Cameron Burris
Cameron Burris marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Jerod Duris
Jerod Duris marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Pinar
Pinar marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Glynnis
Glynnis marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Comic book writer whose credits include the Eisner Award nominated Alison Dare, the YALSA listed Days Like This and Lola: A Ghost Story, as well as Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Love as a Foreign Language and Teen Titans Go, which garnered him a Shuster Award.
More about J. Torres...
Into the Woods (BIGFOOT Boy #1) Teen Titans Go!, Volume 1: Truth, Justice, Pizza! Teen Titans Go!, Volume 6: Titans Together Teen Titans Go!, Volume 2: Heroes on Patrol The Unkindness of Ravens