Start by marking “Grace Notes: Daily Readings with Philip Yancey” as Want to Read:
Grace Notes: Daily Readings with Philip Yancey

Grace Notes: Daily Readings with Philip Yancey

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Grace Notes collects 366 powerful daily readings from Philip Yancey's writings, including some never before published. These most popular and enduring works communicate Yancey's understanding of God, the world, and faith. The readings especially touch doubters, sufferers, the disillusioned, and out-of-the-mold believers.
Published September 22nd 2009 by Zondervan (first published September 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Grace Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace Notes

Keiki Hendrix
Philip Yancey’s writings both encourage and challenge me. The insights and observations he offers in his work bear witness of his contemplative walk with God. It is for this reason that I anticipated reading his new devotional Grace Notes: Daily Readings with a Fellow Pilgrim.

In this 366 day devotional, he includes key sections from previous works such as The Jesus I Never Knew, What’s So Amazing About Grace?, and Where Is God When It Hurts?, as well as many of his other writings.

The form of thi
Elizabeth
I found this daily devotional very satisfying and inspiring...reminiscent of Frederick Buechner's work. It consists of excerpts from Yancey's other writings, some of which I had already read...some others, I've added to my To Read list.

To me, the strength of this book--as in most of Yancey's writing--is its honesty about doubts, fears, questions, and how religion plays out in a real life. I found it to be clear and powerful as he shared his ways of dealing with doubt, faith, temptation, and hypo
Kate Davis
For being the visual edition, it relies primarily on words. Visual, here, does not mean visual art so much that it means color backgrounds for text.

Also: lots of substitutionary atonement assumptions (ugh).

Also also: Frames itself as urging Christians to move towards others in love -- including sinners such as birth control users (p104) and enemies such as abortionists, film producers ("polluting our culture"), and politicians ("threatening my moral principals") (all p114). Which is to say: eith
Gary
Phillip Yancey is a well read, thinking, Christian writer. This is the best of his writings, one for each day of the year. I have enjoyed reading this during 2014. Recommend.

Especially good is the December 21 writing from 'The Bible That Jesus Read', which is titled 'Cosmic Christmas' This commentary is from Revelation 12 depicting the war in heaven at Jesus's birth.
Bookchick
My absolute favorite author. Have read most of his books and am in the process of completing everything he has written. This is a good sampling of excerpts from his many excellent books and articles. The bite-sized, one page excerpts allow for morning reading and mulling over his insights throughout the day. He is so good at challenging the reader yet being compassionate.
Leroy Seat
This is a very fine book, and I greatly enjoyed reading a page a day throughout the past year.

Although fairly conservative, Yancey is a good thinker and man of deep faith. And he is a good writer.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a meaty daily devotional book; it has more depth and substance that most.
Nicki
I've enjoyed everyday of this devotional and highly recommend it. I like Philip Yancey's style and the fact that he really thinks about what he writes and doesn't just churn out sugary sweet 'self-help' books. I'm sorry to have finished it and will definitely read it again in 2013.
Karen
It is a daily reading guide and while I am not done I can honestly say this is a really good book. I really like Yancey and this is a really good collection of pieces he has written for other books and articles so you get a good overview of his writing and the various topics he covers.
Rick
I enjoy the way Philip Yancey thinks. I admire his ability to candidly write about the many questions that challenge my faith then present a faith-filled answer that inspires me. Grace Notes is a daily sampling of Yancey's many writings I think every believer will enjoy.
Brent Soderstrum
Well I finished my devotional for 2013. This is a compilation of various selection from Phillip Yancey's other books and articles. Nice to start the day with one of my favorite authors thoughts on various issues. Creates an appropriate focus for the day for me.
Linore
I only read the preview version of this book which was for the month of April, but I enjoyed it very much. Thoughtful and provocative, and "out-of-the-box" thinking.
Tom
This book is set up as a daily reading. I try to read it every day. I really enjoy Yancey's writing and like to get at least a small dose every day.
Holmes
An inspiring daily devotional book containing the best excerpts from Philip Yancey's writings. It's a book that I will return to, again and again!
Michael Locklear
A great collection of his writings - not all in print today. I always seem to enjoy Yancey and his thinking out of the box.
Pampm
This is a devotional. I'll probably always be reading this. Excellent. Love it.
Pis4Piglet
I read only the December preview version it was ok.
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Swee Fong
Swee Fong marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Dawn Frehse
Dawn Frehse is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2015
Jo-ann
Jo-ann marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Tom
Tom is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2015
Heyentah
Heyentah marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Brent Keating
Brent Keating marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Amy
Amy is currently reading it
Mar 16, 2015
  • God's Favorite Place on Earth
  • The Naked Anabaptist: The Bare Essentials of a Radical Faith (Third Way Collection)
  • The C.S. Lewis Bible
  • Seven Days That Divide the World: The Beginning According to Genesis and Science
  • The Reformation (The Story of Civilization, #6)
  • Defending Your Faith: An Introduction to Apologetics
  • Midnight in Madrid (The Russian Trilogy #2)
  • A Coach's Life
  • Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Marriages in Crisis
  • The Brigade: An Epic Story of Vengeance, Salvation & World War II
  • The Gospel Of Luke (New Daily Study Bible)
  • God's Story, Your Story: When His Becomes Yours
  • Jesus: A Very Short Introduction
  • Fit for Real People: Sew Great Clothes Using ANY Pattern
  • Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings
  • Be Angry But Don't Blow It: Maintaining Your Passion Without Losing Your Cool
  • Wondrous Encounters: Scripture for Lent
  • I Am a Church Member: Discovering the Attitude that Makes the Difference
A native of Atlanta, Georgia, Philip Yancey earned graduate degrees in Communications and English from Wheaton College Graduate School and the University of Chicago. He joined the staff of Campus Life Magazine in 1971, and worked there as Editor and then Publisher. He looks on those years with gratitude, because teenagers are demanding readers, and writing for them taught him a lasting principle: ...more
More about Philip Yancey...
What's So Amazing about Grace? The Jesus I Never Knew Where Is God When It Hurts? Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? Disappointment with God: Three Questions No One Asks Aloud

“Some things just have to be believed to be seen.” 15 likes
“We do well to remember that the Bible has far more to say about how to live during the journey than about the ultimate destination.” 12 likes