Start by marking “The Adultery Diet” as Want to Read:
The Adultery Diet

The Adultery Diet

Cheat on your husband, not on your diet!

Eva Cassady is stuck in a marriage that's completely lost its luster. She's even envious of her twenty-year-old daughter, living la vie Parisienne (complete with les condoms) in France for a year. Somewhere inside, Eva knows she's still a woman with dreams and desires -- but her whole dull, status-quo existence can be summed up b
Published August 7th 2007 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Adultery Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adultery Diet

Erin
Apr 12, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me want to work out! Great read for self-motivation. Entertaining & not easy to put down.
Alexandra
Funny airplane read. I learned that in order to lose weight you need to desire this above the food you crave.
Victoria Stöger
Jul 23, 2015 Victoria Stöger rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lo leí porque me lo regalaron... Nunca mas voy a leer por compasión
Martha
Jul 08, 2008 Martha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Okay. Not my favorite but it was a quick, easy and entertaining read. It did make me want to work out and that, in itself, is a miracle.
Daniela
Watch out: If you're in your 40's, unhappy with the way you look and decide to lose some weight, you will become the wet daydream of all men, develop anorexic tendencies, and end up having an affair with an old flame.

At least according to this book. And the author manages to write about it all in an entertaining way, that towards the end turns a bit into sadness.

An entertaining read though!
Ria
Mar 05, 2016 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eva is very unhappy with her life, her daughter Chloe has just moved to Paris, her husband David doesn't really set her world alight, she is in her 40s, her job has become humdrum,she is overweight and she is fed up.
Until that is, the day where an old ex boyfriend from her youth, Michael Foresman a now successful architect is a prospective interviewee for her home decorating magazine job.
All of a sudden she is in a flurry of excitement as she exchanges emails and in her preparation to look her b
Mary
Jun 14, 2008 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Eva Cassady (the character, not the author...I think) is a 44 year old married career woman who has to contact an old boyfriend as part of a project at the magazine for which she writes. This contact blossoms into first an on-line, then a physical affair with this old flame. She won't meet him at first because she's gained so much weight since they last met, but the possibility of being with him again provides the incentive for her to change her life - exercising and eating the bare minimum - un ...more
Kristi
Sep 30, 2015 Kristi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For the record, this is not my typical genre that I like to read. I was trying something new. And truly, I feel like I was misled by the chocolates on the cover. They made me hungry. But I didn't love the book. In fact, I can't even say I liked it. The final scenes were good, but the rest was just, blah. I appreciated that at the end, when her marriage implodes, she writes a funny diet book that teasingly alludes to how cheating can make you skinny. But it's not really the cheating on your spous ...more
Mojca
Heather
Jan 21, 2008 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Lauren Glazier
If I were having a dinner party, as dinner conversation Eva Cassidy would be able to explain her theory on how fantasying and setting fantasy goals can help an individual lose weight. Although, I don't think she would be inclined to eat anything that I would serve that night!

This book was a cute and light-hearted read offering an interesting take on her diet method. Although I think I will stick to my running and eating healthy, I can see what she considers motivation and how that might help. Th
Lauran
Jan 31, 2009 Lauran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erika
Feb 16, 2010 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, loved this book. I picked it up from the library, expecting it to be another so-so chick lit book. Eva Cassady is a good writer. The book had several quotes in it that I loved, like "Flirtation is the married woman's cocaine." How great is that? The protagonist is a married 44-year-old woman, so I could relate. The characters were real, the situations more real than your typical romance, and there was plenty of humor. I will be looking for more of hers.
DayZee
Apr 15, 2014 DayZee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit confused as to how I feel about this book. On one hand, it motivated me to want to work out and lose weight but on the other hand her reasons for losing the weight made me dislike the character. And the ending felt a bit rushed as if the author just wanted to be done with the book. All in all, I did enjoy reading this though I don't think I will dwell on it much now that I'm done with it.
Marcia
I read a article once about how some writers were getting their first published work by writing pseudonymously for a YA publisher, and I'm wondering if something similar happened here, since Eva Cassady is the name of both the author and the narrator, and events occur in the story that seem pretty meta.
Carolina
This is a very original topic. Instead of chapters she separates the parts with her weight. Even tough I've never really care about my weight I could relate a lot to the need of feeling liked again, the need for excitment, etc. But it is also a good reminder that past loves need to stay at that, in the past.
Tasneem
This is a brilliant, funny and inspiring book. Eva takes control of her life, her body and her weight, but loses who she really is in the process. But by being true to herself, by wanting a future, not just a past, she reclaims her life. I found the idea of wanting to look good for an old boy-friend very real. We've all been there, wanting to impress someone we've not seen in years.
Rachel
Apr 18, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a woman name Eva in her 40's she is married to a nice men who loves to workout, feeling old and over weight with a daughter off to college. Eva needs a change and when she finds out she will be interviewing an ex- lover things start to change. This book is a quick read!!!!
Jeannie
Apr 16, 2008 Jeannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk-fiction
At first treats the subject of adultery with grace and humor (if that's possible!); every over-40 woman could probably identify with some aspects of Eva, the main character. The book then turns more serious.
LapeerDistLib
Who hasn’t wondered about past loves and what would happen if we were to meet up with them again? When Eva’s lost love wanted to meet with her, she decided something needed to change first… her weight. A fun read! ~ LDL Librarian
Katie Benson
Dec 08, 2010 Katie Benson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this while on vacation and it was the perfect beach read. Original story idea about a very popular topic, dieting. It was easy to relate to the main character, and I enjoyed reading about her journey.
Kerry Crisley
A decent plane/beach read for fans of the "makeover" genre. If you enjoyed Jemima J in your 20s you may like The Adultery Diet in your 40s. Eva is not the most endearing heroine, but that probably makes her a more realistic one.
Ellie
May 14, 2012 Ellie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A typical chick-lit read - with an interesting concept (she loses weight after she starts an affair with a former flame)! Written with humor, the feelings of the main character are easy to relate to and kept me entertained.
Sue
Mar 04, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was cute. But I also thought the author made some insightful statements about how women tend to lose themselves in their roles as wives and mothers. The main character revives some of her old dreams and changes her life.
Daphne Atkeson
Sep 02, 2009 Daphne Atkeson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book will sell. Despite the demise of chick-lit, this 40-something version was a delightful read. Cleverly written, fresh, great characters that jumped off the page. Really a remarkable debut book. A lovely piece of light reading that finesses the cliche of a woman's mid-life crisis.
Jenny
Jul 03, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read with an interesting look into the female mind. Not fantastic but it is entertaining.
Jess
For a chick lit book, it surprised me with the infusions of higher-level writing enveloped in the premise of a lonely middle-aged woman looking to recapture her youth.
Sehlers
Aug 26, 2008 Sehlers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great guilty pleasure, summer read.
Mary
Feb 02, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It's about a married woman who reconnects with an old college flame and before she sees him, she wants to lose weight.
Heather Bartlett
Sep 08, 2010 Heather Bartlett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dumb dumb dumb
Anna Marie
guilty pleasure :)
  • Well Enough Alone
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Teens Talk High School: 101 Stories of Life, Love, and Learning for Older Teens
  • Failing at Fairness: How America's Schools Cheat Girls
  • A Steele for Christmas (Forged of Steele #9)
  • Thin Enough: My Spiritual Journey Through the Living Death of an Eating Disorder
  • The Strip
  • Grits Friends Are Forevah: A Southern-Style Celebration of Women
  • The Way to a Woman's Heart
  • I Shaved My Legs For This?!
  • Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?
  • Caddy for Life: The Bruce Edwards Story