When the Mississippi Ran Backwards: Empire, Intrigue, Murder, and the New Madrid Earthquakes

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  47 reviews
On December 15, 1811, two of Thomas Jefferson's nephews murdered a slave in cold blood and put his body parts into a roaring fire. The evidence would have been destroyed but for a rare act of God -- or, as some believed, of the Indian chief Tecumseh.
That same day, the Mississippi River's first steamboat, piloted by Nicholas Roosevelt, powered itself toward New Orleans on...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Free Press (first published 2005)

Growing up in Chicago where earthquakes are extremely rare, we talk about the New Madrid (not pronounced like the city in Spain at all but more like MAD - as in "I'm mad at you," RID - as in "get rid of that.")fault as if it belongs to us when it is really hundreds of miles away. The New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-12 were devastating, landscape changing and life changing events which occured just as Americans were expanding westward but all most people know about them is that the Mississippi ran...more
Katie
This book wasn't exactly what I expected, but how many pages could you expect to write about an event that happened in 1811 in a place where only a few hundred people lived? I liked the author's approach though....trying to tie in all the stories of the various groups for whom the Earthquakes were a significant historical event - explorers, pioneers, Native Americans, and enslaved Africans. Also, I'm a little bit fascinated about this time period when Ohio and Indiana were still considered "the...more
Karen
I teach geology, and I've long wondered about the New Madrid faultline and the big earthquake that occurred there in the early 1800's. I know way more about the San Francisco 1906 earthquake because I was raised in the Bay Area, and I'm familiar with the San Andreas fault. That's actually why I became interested in geology. Everyone always worries about the West Coast having earthquakes, not realizing the middle of the country has an faultline just as dangerous to worry about...

This book is a mi...more
Ann
I was really really disappointed. The earthquakes are so often overlooked in American history surveys so I was excited to find a book dealing with the topic. And the sections about the quakes and their aftermath were fascinating. But the arguments by the author to cite the earthquakes as a contributing factor to the War of 1812, the collapse of Tecumseh's confederacy and Thomas Jefferson's position on slavery were tenuous, no that's too positive a word, how about fantasmacorical? (I made that on...more
James (JD) Dittes
This is a short, readable history of a pivotal decade in American history, when the Mississippi was the far west, and Americans struggled with Native Americans for control of what is today's Midsouth and Midwest. The episode of the book's title is only referred to in a couple of accounts. I really enjoyed Feldman's recounting of Tecumseh and his threat to the Creek Indians that he would "stamp his foot" in retaliation for their failure to join his confederacy. Also making an appearance in the bo...more
Karry Macdonald
Growing up in California I knew all about earthquakes. I studied them in school, experienced them at home, etc. I knew they occurred around the Pacific Ocean in the "ring of fire". What I didn't know was that our country's Midwest area experienced a very large earthquake which actually changed the course of the mighty Mississippi River. This book is a wonderful read. There is historical information, both the earthquake itself but the other stories which became connected to this event. I highly r...more
Mason
For some reason, I neglected to fully process the subtitle, "Empire, Intrigue, Murder, and the New Madrid Earthquakes."
If you're looking for an unexpected take on the first decade of the nineteenth century, this is adequate but not satisfying. If, like me, you want a healthy dose of geology spiced with history, definitely read something else.
Amy
There is plenty of history in this book, lots of anecdotes. It was like a sampler of history, so I do think that a person could use this book as a springboard for discovering more historical events to learn about. For instance, because of this book I am interested in learning more about Tecumseh and William Henry Harrison. I thought the author tried very, very hard to use the big New Madrid earthquakes as a thread that laced all of these events in this historical sampler together, but I don't th...more
kim
May 09, 2011 kim rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of history, earthquakes, STL and MO
This is a non-fiction book with plenty of history and documentation, so is not a light read, but it IS a good read. The book was not at all what I expected, but I enjoyed it very much. From the title, I expected it to be more about the earthquakes of New Madrid. While growing up in St. Louis, I had both heard about the big quakes and felt a tremor or 2 from the fault since. I've grown up knowing that this area is seismologically active. But what was fascinating for me is all the history that wa...more
Louis
The great Chief Tecumseh made a grand tour southward from Indiana in 1811 in an effort to unite the various tribes against the encroachment of the multiplying white settlers.
The Great Comet of 1811 was crossing the night sky. This was an object with a tail that extended about 100 million miles, a greater distance than the Sun. Tecumseh used this celestial event to impress the others with his authority, since his name, Tecumseh, meant 'Shooting Starr'.
When he couldn't convince an important Creek...more
Zora
Having read this, I'm not sure what it's about. For awhile, it seems to be about how lawless the Old West Before the Old West was. Then it seems to be about how white people of the new USA treated people of color badly. Then for a short while, it's about the New Madrid Earthquakes. Then--well, I'll stop here. And I searched for a thesis that somehow brought all these topics together, but I never found it. It felt like some grad student's four favorite papers presented end to end.

The second probl...more
Eileen
This is the second book by Feldman that I have read...I look forward to more!

The tough part of the read is the color of the paper and sometimes the ink was too light for my eyes.
Perhaps a Kindle is in my future!

The subtitle of the book is 'Empire, Intrigue, Murder, and the New Madrid Earthquakes'. The book held true to the subtitle. I heard Feldman interviewed on Book TV and after I read 'Managing Hysteria" I knew 'New Madrid' would be next. As a would be student of history he captured my intere...more
Jerry Smith
Hmmm - not bad but somewhat unsatisfying as a book as, in my opinion, the author tried to pull together several disparate strands with the context of the new Madrid Earthquakes as the backdrop. It just about works but frankly, the earthquakes themselves almost seem to take a back seat to the history of the settling of the frontier. That's OK, since it is an interesting topic in itself, but I wanted to know more about the earthquakes themselves and it seems as though that was a little lacking her...more
David R.
The scene: the frontier settlement of New Madrid (and related places) in December 1811. And the world is about to change as a series of devastating earthquakes strike. Feldman brings into the story several rather different sets of characters, including Native American leader Tecumseh, seeking a last stand against the expanding United States, the ruthless slave murderer Lilburne Lewis, steamboat entrepreneur Nicholas Roosevelt, and others. The storytelling is wonderful and there's even a little g...more
Michelle
Very interesting book about the 1811-1812 earthquakes in the New Madrid, MO area. It will facinate anyone who wants to know more about the worst earthquakes to hit the United States in a place where most people do not expect to have earthquakes. It is a short read - I would have liked it to go into more detail because I have not yet found a book that really gives an entire account of this natural disaster.
Vivian
An OK book in imparting information, but I think it is likely better books have been written on all of the competing threads of this book. It felt scattered. Treating the murder of a slave and the uprising of tens of indian tribes as part of the war of 1812 as the same level of importance seemed like a lack of sense of proportion.
Pam
Jay Feldman expertly interweaves multiple events in American history with the impending New Madrid earthquake of 1811 creating a compelling read. I was a small bit disappointed with the end of the book and thought that Feldman had difficulty winding up the stories he had established earlier. Overall this is a great book!
John
I like the way the author told the story of the New Madrid earthquakes in 1811 and 1812. The story is told through several areas of North American history; Native Americans, growth of the United States, and the War of 1812. This is not a scientifice study of earthquakes and Plate Techtonics is kepts to a minimum.
Sharon
Very interesting non-fiction read on American history. We always hear of the earthquakes that will happen sometime in the future in California, but not any information about the Mississippi Valley. Being a non-fiction, there were times that reading was very slow, but I think very worth while investing the time.
☯Emily has reviews on Booklikes
Fascinating story about one of the worst earthquakes in this country. Fortunately, it was before this area became populated. An earthquake along the Mississippi River today would be devastating. I enjoyed the different vignettes of the area's peoples, including the Indian's view of the earthquake.
Erik
A very interesting look at the early 1800s of the lower Mississippi River. Specifically, a look at the history of Indian Chief Tecumseh, Andrew Jackson, William Henry Harrison,the first steam powered Mississippi river boats, and the devastating series of earthquakes in New Madrid, Missouri.
Lynne
An interesting introduction not just to the biggest earthquake ever recorded in the central U.S., but to life on the early frontier - just post-Revolution. Sometimes the author wanders off in what at first seems to be a completely irrelevant direction, but then he ties it all back together.
JD Carruthers
This book focuses more on contextual events about the time of the major earthquakes in New Madrid in December 1811 through February 1812. I think it would have benefited from more focus directly related to the earthquakes themselves, but overall it was an interesting read.
Carey
I went to school in Cape Girardeau on the fault line so I have a fascination with the subject. I thought the book was well written, and the author did a great job tying together different stories so the book wouldn't just be a boring text book version of events.
Rich Martin
Huge earthquakes, three of them over 8.0, hit southeastern Missouri in 1811-1812, and, yes, the Mississippi ran backwards for a while.
The quakes had a number of effects. They uncovered the murder of slaves by two of Thomas Jefferson's nephews.
Joan
More social history than quake accounts, but a good read.
Crystal
This was a very good non fiction book about the New Madrid earthquake of 1812. The author did a great job of weaving additional historical events which coincided with the earthquake to make it an interesting read.
Barb
I really liked this book & learned alot. Living in northeast Missouri, I have always been aware of the New Madrid earthquakes but never realized the historical significance and political climate of the time.
Barb Crumb
First, I was interested to see geological correlations in this book and People of the River, set in pre-historic times/ I was also aupprised at the quality of the historic story, both in research and in presentation.
Jim Sieks
This is a marvelous story, not only of the natural disaster of the massive earthquake, but of the historical context including very interesting tales of Tecumseh, a major indian character of the time.
  • Locust: The Devastating Rise and Mysterious Disappearance of the Insect that Shaped the American Frontier
  • Ghost Ship: The Mysterious True Story of the Mary Celeste and Her Missing Crew
  • Under a Flaming Sky: The Great Hinckley Firestorm of 1894
  • Sudden Sea: The Great Hurricane of 1938
  • Curse Of The Narrows
  • America, 1908: The Dawn of Flight, the Race to the Pole, the Invention of the Model T, and the Making of a Modern Nation
  • The Long Way Home
  • The White Cascade: The Great Northern Railway Disaster and America's Deadliest Avalanche
  • San Francisco Is Burning: The Untold Story of the 1906 Earthquake and Fires
  • The Barbary Plague: The Black Death in Victorian San Francisco
  • The Man Who Ate His Boots: The Tragic History of the Search for the Northwest Passage
  • Down the Great Unknown: John Wesley Powell's 1869 Journey of Discovery and Tragedy Through the Grand Canyon
  • 38 Nooses: Lincoln, Little Crow, and the Beginning of the Frontier's End
  • Capitol Men: The Epic Story of Reconstruction Through the Lives of the First Black Congressmen
  • The Friar and the Cipher: Roger Bacon and the Unsolved Mystery of the Most Unusual Manuscript in the World
  • Scurvy: How a Surgeon, a Mariner, and a Gentlemen Solved the Greatest Medical Mystery of the Age of Sail
  • Pox Americana: The Great Smallpox Epidemic of 1775-82
  • The Devil's Gentleman: Privilege, Poison, and the Trial That Ushered in the Twentieth Century
Manufacturing Hysteria: A History of Scapegoating, Surveillance, and Secrecy in Modern America Suitcase Sefton and the American Dream Hitting (An Official Major League Baseball Book) Adv in Atomic & Molecular Physics V19