Start by marking “In Extremis (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #9)” as Want to Read:
In Extremis (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #9)

In Extremis (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation #9)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A ruthless and expertly trained contract killer is on assignment in Nevada's remote Desert National Wildlife Range...and he deliberately sets in motion a series of seemingly unconnected events that will soon test the skills of Gil Grissom and his team of CSIs -- Catherine Willows, Nick Stokes, Warrick Brown, Sara Sidle, and Greg Sanders -- to their limit. For all is not as ...more
Published October 30th 2007 by Pocket Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about In Extremis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Extremis

Wanda
I'm a big CSI fan, so of course I loved it!
Katrina
I’m really not sure what to make of this novel. The storyline was complex but it just ended up seeming far too confusing and making me struggle to get through it. One of the biggest problems I found with the novel was the timeline. Everything that happens in the novel supposedly happens over a very short space of time (I would guess around 24 hours) but at times this seemed almost impossible to grasp because so much was going on that when you realised that only maybe an hour or two had passed yo ...more
Daniel Germain
I liked the overall crime that the author set up for the Las Vegas crime lab super team to come work out, however, this was just about the only thing that I really enjoyed from the book. Part of this I feel comes from the fact that this just didn't feel like the CSI that I know and love. When I read all the CSI books by Max Allen Collins the characters really felt like the exact characters were pulled straight from my TV set and thrown into my books. In this novel the only similarities that I re ...more
Mauri
While it definitely spent a little more time developing the character of the bad guy than I would have liked, I enjoyed the overall plot of this one more than Snake Eyes (CSI). The author also had a better grasp on the utilisation of a large cast, though using the right tool for the job in each case meant a cut in dialogue for some of the main characters, while the logical choices (usually lab techs) got some actual useful "screen"time.

The shooting reconstruction plot was interesting, though th
Sam
A very enjoyable and edge of your seat addition to the CSI book collection. Again the characters are all written well and are consistant with their on screen counterparts. This story focuses a bit less on the forensics and a bit more on action but it does not suffer for it. Goddard manages to create a tension action thriller in the middle of a forensic investigation and even manages to include some dramatic large scale forensic techniques using luminol and helicopters, which I must admit was ver ...more
Jim McGowan
This is the first of the CSI novels I've read in a long time (I've read all the preceding ones) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story was a face paced, all-in-one-night type that was really captivating. It had more tension and action than I remember from the other novels, but still kept well in keeping with the established characters and canon.

I really looked forward to picking up this book every day I was reading it (and there weren't many days, as I tore through it quickly!). It was a great r
Annemieke
Overall this book was an okay read. But it seemed to lack a spark of surprise in me as I was reading it. I think part of this had to do with the first chapter which focused on the contract killer. I felt the chapter was too long, we learned too much about him already and it left no surprise to the case later in the book. Also there was a lot of technical talking in this, sometimes too much on one page to keep it interesting for the ones that do not have a scientific background or interest.
Billy Maguire
I was a little surprised by this book, I was expecting this to be a simple cash in of the show. But have been pleasantly surprised by how much i enjoyed it. I thought it was well written and moved along at at decent pace. Not the most memorable book ever but a decent read none the less.
Jen -only4lightn
This book was okay. It was certainly not one of my favorite CSI based books. I think that this book had a lot more "technical" stuff in the ballistics area that completely lost me on. And Grissom didnt "act" like he does in the show.

Otherwise it was an enjoyable book.
Jennifer Wardrip
So far, this is my least favorite of all of the CSI titles. It's not the writing so much as the characters involved that made we quit about three chapters in. I just couldn't get excited about this story line, but others may feel differently!
Mary
I don't keep these books long and rarely read them more than once. The books in the series are a nice adjunct to the TV series. They are a nice break from books that require some thought as you are reading. Entertaining.
Nicole
LOVE the show... and the book was much better then I anticipated... I LOVE GREG SAUNDERS!
Margaret Konecsni
Not the best I've read. I'm surprised Collins gave up on the series, he's that good.
First 3/4 was pretty slow, a lot of scientific jargon. The end was much better.
Randy
Not by Max Allan Collins, but Ken Goddard
Louise Brewer
it was ok to read but i was not in to it .......
Wendell
I'd rather watch the T.V show.
Janice
Loved it!!!!!
Jason Strawder
Jason Strawder marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Dave Nieuwenhuijzen
Dave Nieuwenhuijzen marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Makila
Makila marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Neil
Neil marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
  • Killing Game (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #7)
  • Nevada Rose (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #10)
  • Headhunter (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, # 11)
  • The Killing Jar (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #13)
  • Brass in Pocket (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #12)
  • Dead of Winter (CSI: New York, #1)
  • Four Walls (CSI: New York, #4)
203102
Ken Goddard describes himself as "a crime scene investigator, forensic scientist, wildlife crime lab director, husband, father, grandfather, supposed cattle rancher, and more to the point, a fiction author who writes fiction novels about professional terrorists, underground chemists, demented burglars and malicious poachers for any number of reasons."
More about Ken Goddard...
First Evidence Outer Perimeter Prey Balefire The Alchemist