Start by marking “Now You See It: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Now You See It: A Novel

Now You See It: A Novel

2.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
David and Jessica have almost everything they could want: he is an accomplished journalist, she teaches at an elite private school, and they travel in a circle of alluring friends. Theirs is an enviable life -- until one night when David returns from a business trip. Jessica's wallet and keys are in their usual place, but she is gone. As months pass without her, David's ce ...more
Published July 26th 2004 by Touchstone (first published July 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Now You See It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now You See It

Jenny
Aug 05, 2014 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beth
May 04, 2012 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
A woman disappears. Her husband tries to deal with it. There are flashbacks to their early life together, and to a story he did in Peru which started on their honeymoon. Unfortunately, that's about as exciting and engaging as the story gets. I never really got into this book, though I managed to finish it. I found the characters flat and the story line dull.
July Rahly
Aug 24, 2015 July Rahly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
I found it extremely boring. Not anywhere in the book did it make me want to read more, and I practically forced myself to read to the end, in hopes that it would get better. Having not, I am disappointed.
Terra
Jun 08, 2007 Terra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lynn engages us with her story of a couple who outwardly appear to have everything but are missing something crucial. It's not a perfect book but I look very forward to her next one.
Betty
Jan 17, 2016 Betty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had a lot of potential in the beginning. I was drawn in by the mystery of the disappearing wife; it kind of had a Gone Girl feel to it. Despite being disappointed with the overall story, I decided to give it 2 stars. There were a lot of details given pertaining to Peru and a revolutionary uprising. The main plot felt incomplete and the ending was lacking. Some parts were well written, but by the end of the book I felt like I should have used my time to read something else.
Jennifer Trendowicz
I thought this book had so much potential. A woman disappears with no explanation and her husband is left behind to put together the pieces. What's not to like? Oh yeah, that it fell apart! No real answers and another story in there that didn't relate very well to the main point of the book. I was hoping to find a new author to love, it I found a new book to toss.
Holly
Oct 14, 2010 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently after the wretched "Still Missing" I still needed a good girl-gone-missing story. This was it! Not really a mystery -- more of a suspenseful reflection on a relationship that flashes back to a related story of another missing person. There's a lot to be said for browsing the shelves at the library...I may never have come across this otherwise.
Chantella Abington
What if having it all really means walking a constrained path that you might not have chosen had you consciously selected your life? I loved the character development in this book and the way a map was used to help David see his life. I loved that a story about a missing wife was given so much depth, while keeping us in suspense until the end.
Julie
Sep 03, 2009 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like the characters. I have a hard time reading straight fiction (as opposed to historical fiction) about unlikeable characters. But I actually liked the ending, unlike most reviewers, because it seemed the heroine finally did something about her disappointing life.
Katie O
Apr 28, 2007 Katie O rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: hated-it
If I could give less than 1 star, I definitely would. It bothers me that I actually took the time to finish it, because the ending was so disappointing. It's the story of a husband's search for his missing wife and what "happens" along with way, which is essentially nothing.
AshO
I got through almost half of this book, but kept putting it down and couldn't get back into reading it. Every time I would pick it up and read more, I'd end up just wanting to stop reading it. It's just very dull and has nothing really going on in it.
Kristine
Mar 08, 2013 Kristine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just love reading an entire book only to learn the main thesis (in this case, a woman's disappearance) is never resolved! Despite this major flaw, the book shows beautiful writing and sense of place.
Doug
Nov 28, 2009 Doug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love it when I read it, but when I discussed with a book club including the author I have more appreciation for it. Definitely made me think just wasn't willing to suspend my disbelief.
Brittany H.
March 11, 2013- 30 minutes
March 13, 2013- 25 minutes
March 14, 2013- 20 minutes
Maggie Sweeney
Oct 27, 2013 Maggie Sweeney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written before Bel Canto and Gone Girl, this novel had some of the same themes in an original twist as some of my favorite books. It was smart and funny and bittersweet.
Sue Kozlowski
David and Jessica are married and live in NYC. He came home one day and she was gone and never came back. Shows you can never really know someone completely.
Kitkatny
Jul 15, 2013 Kitkatny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had a lot of potential and I love the theme and message the author is trying to get across but I found myself skimming through and wanting it to be over.
Kerri
Nov 06, 2011 Kerri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really disappointed in this book. It dragged on and the endning wasn't what I thought it would be. I made myself finish it.
Britt
Dec 18, 2009 Britt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So incredibly frustrating. Liking playing a game of clue but never getting to open that cute little manilla envelope.
Barbara
Interesting premise, but could be better. I didn't love it.
Cherie
Book club pick -- a mystery about relationships.
Kim
Feb 29, 2008 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Believable exploration of grief mixed with hope.
Linda
Jul 12, 2013 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another slow read, does not keep my attention.
Miriam
Jul 24, 2008 Miriam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ehh...not that compelling.
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Donna Hines
Donna Hines is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2016
Laurel
Laurel marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
  • Spygirl: True Adventures from My Life as a Private Eye
  • The Big Lie: Motherhood, Feminism, and the Reality of the Biological Clock
  • Pop: The Genius of Andy Warhol
  • Sea Change
  • Body Confidence: Venice Nutrition's 3-Step System That Unlocks Your Body's Full Potential
  • In the Presence of Horses: A Novel
  • The Good Son (J. McNee, #1)
  • Geek to Chic
  • Tickled Pink: A Comic Novel
  • Dracula's Heir
Allison Lynn is author of NOW YOU SEE IT, which won both the William Faulkner Medal from the Pirate's Alley Faulkner Society and the Chapter One Award from the Bronx Writer's Center. She teaches in the Creative Writing program at Butler University.
More about Allison Lynn...