Start by marking “Chasing Cool: Standing Out in Today's Cluttered Marketplace” as Want to Read:
Chasing Cool: Standing Out in Today's Cluttered Marketplace

Chasing Cool: Standing Out in Today's Cluttered Marketplace

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  201 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Cool isn't just a state of mind, a celebrity fad, or an American obsession -- it's a business. In boardrooms across America, product managers are examining vodka bottles and candy bars, tissue boxes and hamburgers, wondering how do we make this thing cool? How do we make this gadget into the iPod of our industry? How do we do what Nike did? How do we get what Target got? H ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Atria Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Cool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Cool

Leslyevans
Jul 09, 2008 Leslyevans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sooooo good. i got to meet noah kerner at a conference in new orleans and he is badass. interesting to read even if you're not in the sales game. he interviews everyone, ranging from tony hawk to talib kweli to a bunch of dudes in the tech industry about whom i know nothing.
Gi-Gi Downs
Sep 09, 2007 Gi-Gi Downs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great weekend read if you need a refresher course in being and staying relevant as a dot com, mom and pop, or global brand. nice anecdotes and a few ding ding revelations.
Pep Reynolds
Nov 03, 2013 Pep Reynolds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chasing cool has become one of my favorite books to date. This book is a good read not only for people who are interested in marketing, but also for people who shop for anything. At first I thought the book was going to be repetitive as each chapter seems to reiterate the last, but that's not the case. There are so many cool (no pun intended) lessons and quotes this book has to offer. I recommend this book to anyone!
Jan 25, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a communications professional it showed me how to really stand out and make my voice heard by being the most original version of me and not by a how-to guide, that again would take you back to the mold you were trying to get out of.
Oleg Kagan
Aug 13, 2009 Oleg Kagan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: idea-books
In a "Cluttered Marketplace" like marketing books, "Chasing Cool" does not stand out. In an effort to isolate the intangible "cool," (which they admit is impossible) the authors cite interviews with artists and business people (mostly from the music and fashion industries) that they believe to be influential as well as relying on their own experiences. Instead of teaching laypeople and marketers what to do, they mostly tip us on what not to do. This would be great if this wasn't the tactic of co ...more
Pdxstacey
Nov 10, 2007 Pdxstacey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: frat guy business majors, people motivated by Successories
Some people at work were really pumped up about this book, so I was curious- especially since the cover is someone wearing AF1's with spurs. I've had more than my fill of AF1's, at work and at home.

I did check the book's website before reading it and was overwhelmed by the sheer force of book marketing.

I was first suspicious of the actual layout: there's a lot of bold, large face type. The margins are big. And there are tons of getty style images with vague business quotes. The last time I saw
Gastón
It has many interesting anecdotes about the marketing and branding of some of the most popular brands; that comes with a good portion of thoughtful ideas and hindsight analysis. Almost all the histories come directly, through interviews, from the founders of the brands or actual celebrities like Tony Hawk, Christina Aguilera etc. So, that is very valuable. However, I think the book could be better written/organized.
Andrea
Jun 04, 2008 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, business owners, product marketers
Recommended to Andrea by: Mike Herzog
Shelves: business
This book is a light, quick read. I don't think it has anything earth-shattering to say about marketing in today's cluttered marketplace, but it's definitely worth the read (which isn't a huge time investment) for the perspective that it does have and for the incredibly interesting case studies (namely Barneys New York, iPod and Quicksilver) scattered throughout the book.
Amanda Elliott
Aug 11, 2015 Amanda Elliott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great conversation piece. It's an easy read with real life examples that hit on strategic marketing.
Mark Etting
Feb 17, 2016 Mark Etting rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome writing and great advice ! Enjoyed all page line by line,Thank you !
Kent
Jan 23, 2008 Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great look at trends in marketing.
Christine
Jan 05, 2009 Christine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Some interesting things but poorly written and designed.

There were some things I liked about this book (the details and history of Barneys NY). But there were also plenty of weird things about this book.

The premise of Chasing Cool is to not chase it -- don't try to package up and sell something "cool". What I don't understand is why they did just that with this book. The design is pretty awful. There are two writers and three different styles of font so you know when one author is speaking or wh
Timothy
Feb 22, 2016 Timothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this book! really gives anyone interested in the marketing field an edge. provides insight on the true meaning of a "cool" and innovative idea. even if youre not interested in the marketing field, Chasing Cool provides you with a new perspective on living life and to not imititate others work but instead to be inspired by it.
Irete
Feb 18, 2016 Irete rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not a marketing major but most of what is explained in this book was pretty self explanatory. I did like that the book addressed cultural appropriation. It was a nice quick read though so I can't complain
Andrey
Feb 21, 2016 Andrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought Chasing Cool was really interesting and well-written.I enjoyed the book, and the very relevant and recent examples of well-known products, companies, and people made it very interisting!
Daniel
Chasing Cool has a few really informative observations. If you are trying to figure out how to tap the "cool" factor(s) with your products and services, this is worth reading.
Jason
Apr 01, 2008 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brings up a few interesting points and demonstrates how "cool" can't be manufactured, but falls a little short describing how "cool" actually happens, which I guess is kinda the point of the book: You can't make cool, you just have to hope and pray that it happens to you.

While it was an enjoyable read and even at times insightful, it seems like anyone really in touch with their consumers would already be privy to the point this book makes.
Ian
Sep 10, 2011 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not an essential read but a pretty solid chapter near the end examining how Quiksilver helped build surf culture via an MTV show on girl surfers and Yahoo partnered their then new music service with the DMC DJ championship to illustrate how brands should correctly borrow (or as they argue, share) equity from ‘cool’ be it emerging, underground or already-established cool subcultures, artists, athletes or other celebrities.
Shanta M.
Feb 14, 2016 Shanta M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its actually amazing. The books theme is marketing. It forces you to draw your own conclusions all the way through then blows you away.
Every point I decided to put the book down after so many chapters it was impossible. I'm literally left hanging on. I have to read more.
I have to know who and what and where. The author displays in depth knowledge on the workings and procedures. Thanks a lot!
Mike Rogero
Shallow and a tedious read. You get the feeling this was written by someone with a few years experience but only a skimming of the real depth of the problems he is trying to counsel on. Basically the book can be summed up by "Don't try to chase cool. Be yourself. Live your dream." Ok, you are done, no need to read the book... yea.
Michael
Currently reading this book. So far it brings up some interesting point about the danger of companies trying to chase the next big trend instead of developing a culture to invent it. On the downside, it's a big fluffy and rough around the edges in terms of writing and background information.
Jon Kruse
The core message stands the test of time. Don't chase others, don't chase cool. Be unique, be authentic. That's how you succeed. Unfortunately, the rest of the book has not aged too well. Funny how how referencing how cool myspace is can kill relevance to today's time.
Corny
Mar 14, 2009 Corny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very intelligent account of today's pop culture and what makes it tick. Somewhat repetitive but also contains a lot of interesting stories and examples of "cool". The authors have enlisted a cowriter but I had the sense that it was clearly their book.
Mark
Feb 19, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. It gives you examples from some of the biggest success stories in the business. READ IT NOW!
I love the format of this book. I typically can't read business books but this was amazing!
Jennifer Baum
I liked much of this book although it wasn't particularly well written. i did pull some good ideas regarding marketing and remaining relevant
Scott
Feb 09, 2011 Scott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I stopped reading after about 100 pages. Shittiest book I have lifted in some time. Don't waste your money on this pompous ass' drivel.
Heather Gupta
Apr 08, 2016 Heather Gupta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for everyone working to create a product that stands out. Highly recommended for marketers and students.
Kiersten
Eh...nothing too special here. It referenced the typical "Cool" brands (Nike/Apple) but I was left still chasing...
Andrea Delesdernier
First half of the book was great. Last half not quite so enlightening; a re-hash of dated ideas.
Lori Grant
A should-read book for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs on concepts and social trends.
  • The King of Madison Avenue: David Ogilvy and the Making of Modern Advertising
  • Exploiting Chaos: 150 Ways to Spark Innovation During Times of Change
  • Ideaspotting: How to Find Your Next Great Idea
  • Ping: Perjalanan Seekor Katak Mencari Kolam Baru
  • The Lazy Couponer: How to Save $25,000 Per Year in Just 45 Minutes Per Week with No Stockpiling, No Item Tracking, and No Sales Chasing!
  • Little Platinum Book of Cha-Ching: 32.5 Strategies to Ring Your Own (Cash) Register in Business and Personal Success
  • The Adventure of Business
  • Donny Deutsch's Big Idea: How To Make Your Entrepreneurial Dreams Come True, From The AHA Moment To Your First Million
  • The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Clothing Business Forever
  • Pull: The Power of the Semantic Web to Transform Your Business
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands
  • A Class with Drucker: The Lost Lessons of the World's Greatest Management Teacher
  • Excel 2010 Power Programming with VBA
  • Identifying and Managing Project Risk: Essential Tools for Failure-Proofing Your Project
  • You Are a Brand!: How Smart People Brand Themselves for Business Success