Start by marking “The 4400: Welcome to Promise City” as Want to Read:
The 4400: Welcome to Promise City

The 4400: Welcome to Promise City (The 4400 #3)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  28 reviews

Based on the hit USA Network series The 4400, an original novel about a group of 4400 people taken out of their time and returned to the present day with special powers, only no one, including them, is sure if they are a force for good...or for evil.

Over nine thousand people were killed in Seattle, when promicin was unleashed within the city limits. Now the Federal gove
Published September 22nd 2009 by Pocket Books (first published July 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The 4400, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 4400

Jennifer Leavitt-wipf
This book is really only for people who watched the 4-season television show "The 4400" through its season 4/series finale. For those people, this will be a very enjoyable book. The author writes the characters exactly as they were in the series. Their personalities, linguistics and mannerisms are represented very well. The story is good and suspensful. The novel, which is about 280 pages, is about the equivalent to 4-8 episodes of the show. It's a tad hard to calculate that because in the show, ...more
Benjamin Thomas
I really hesitated to try this book, not being a fan of TV tie-in novels. But when I was deployed several years ago, I was able to watch all four seasons of "The 4400" TV show in short order and was hugely dissapointed at the cliff-hanger ending. That's a real pet peeve of mine, so much so that I no longer watch TV shows when they air but almost always wait for them to be complete before starting them.

Anyway, I really read this book so that I could read the next book. My research indicates that
JParsons1974 Parsons
286 pages Science fiction, A continuation of the TV series THE 4400. The story picks up the action from the end of the 4th season when show was canceled due the writer's strike .

You only need a passing knowledge of the show to understand the this book and it's sequel, The 4400 :Promises Broken, by David Mack, which acts as a continuation of the show. I enjoyed borrowing the DVD of show from my library and then reading this book. I would suggest that you do the same, unless you are a big fan of t
Austin Morgan
I poor attempt at converting a screen play into a novel. Even worse it did not advance the central plot any. I was hoping for some sense of completion for the series I enjoyed on the screen so much, but this book is completely skippable as far as I can tell.
C.L. Allen
I'll start this by saying I am a die-hard 4400 fan, and I'll probably read/watch just about anything associated with the series. That being said, I really enjoyed "Welcome to Promise City". Considering that the book was written post-cancellation of the series, I felt like this story was exactly what the series needed after ending on such a promising (no pun intended) cliff-hanger. My only complaint (albeit, a minor one) concerns the ending, which was by no means bad. I just felt a bit underwhelm ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
When the TV-series The 4400 got cancelled after a 4 season run, us who enjoyed that often goofy but sometimes smart sci-fi saga were given a duology of books to conclude a series that still had many plot threads open for closure. The first of these two books is "Welcome to Promise City" by Greg Cox.

I know Cox as a Star Trek writer, and have always found his stories solid but often lacking in uniqueness. He proved my prejudice right this time, as his 4400 continuation is just that: it does what i
Shinju
Una historia no puede quedar sin un final. Mucho menos Los 4400.
Para cuando terminé de ver la serie, ansiaba saber qué ocurría con todos y con el futuro de la humanidad. Ansiaba saber cual de las dos visiones de Shawn se hacían realidad y que ocurriría con Los Marcados o Collier; el Nuevo 'Mesías'.
Ahora que he leído esta historia, me han quedado todavía más dudas por resolver, y al mismo tiempo, he quedado satisfecha, ya que la novela ha sido muy agradable y amena.
Los personajes son tal cual v
Damon
I suppose the purpose of a novelization of a movie, or in this case, a tv series, is to relive the movie or tv show, and perhaps even expand one's understanding of it. In this regard, Mr. Cox's novel succeeds admirably. He has indicated he is a fan of The 4400, and his characterizations and knowledge of the series' details are thorough, impressive, and spot- on.

But Mr. Cox has the added responsibility of continuing a "plot in progress" and in this regard he is less successful. Little happens to
Φλεγύας
This is sad. I had finished this book some time in the summer, updated my progress and wrote a full review... but, none of that got saved, apparently.
Anyway...
This is the third book on the 4400 mythos that I've read. So far, it's also the best of the bunch. Although, this book is by Cox (just as the Vesuvius Prophecy was), it's better than the previous two attempts. Then again, Wet Work was laughable and downright painful to read. In any case, Welcome to Promise City is a proper novel! Well, i
Cassandra
I loved the 4400 series and was so sad to see it end. I discovered it after it had been canceled and practically watched it back to back. I was thrilled to be able to continue the series by book! Excellent read great continuation of the story:)
Kent
It sucks that the show was cancelled after 4 seasons. There was so much more story to tell. But this book continues the story in a pretty interesting way, in my opinion. It's a good read and keeps the characters true to their screen personas. I'm looking forward to the next one. Too bad that there are only two books that take place after the show. This could be a great book series.
Brett
It has been a number of years since I visited the world of the 4400. Greg Cox did a great job of bringing back memories of the show as each character was introduced to the story. I think this knowledge of the show is most definitely required in order to truly appreciate/enjoy the book. A quick page turner of a read that should appeal to all fans of the prematurely cancelled TV program.
Kris Russel
If you're a fan of the series, this book is definitely worth the read. It takes off where the show ended and takes you further down the road with the 4400 and p-positives. In some reviews I read that they find there's no plot development, but I disagree. If you love this show and the characters, you will love this book.
Josie
Reads as you would expect generic fan-fiction to read: decent writing but nothing quality. Reads like a TV show with no defined arc. Recommended if you're interested in finding out what happens after the show was prematurely cancelled, but I wouldn't recommend for someone who hadn't seen (and liked) the show.
Arthur
This is a good book to get especially if you've watch the original 4400 T.V. series. It's easy to get into too after so many of the first few pages which are meant to bring the reader up to speed on what has happened since the first book or the T.V. episodes which end before this continues.
Rich
I really loved the TV series The 4400.

This book does an adequate job of picking up where the show left off - though much of the wording and descriptions are either odd (overuse of the word "waif") or unnecessary (highly detailed descrptions of physical characteristics).

Terri
If you were a fan of the TV series 4400 and wanted to know what happened after they cancelled the series, then this book and also Promises Broken are great to read!
Tintinrulz
I enjoyed the TV series "The 4400" and looked forward to continuing the story in novel form but between the competent but pedestrian writing style and the uninteresting story, there's not a whole lot going for it.
Kat Orton
I had such high hopes for this, but it was written as if for a ten year old and I felt as though I got maybe one more episode as opposed to a season. I really didn't feel as though the plot really continued very much.
Jenny
I read tie-in fiction sometimes. Deal with it.

This book: clunky and drab, bringing out the worst in the series. I'm looking forward to the next installment, though, by solid writer David Mack.
Bob Klein
Quiet enjoyed this book, it was a must read really after watching the TV series which never concluded. Fairly well written and the characters are represented well.
Shannon Appelcline
The world of the 4400 is unfortunately let somewhat down by the amateurness of this author. Nonetheless, there's enough to get excited in to make it worth reading.
Kristen
Great continuation for this series! I wish there were more than two that carry on the story after the last season. So many unanswered questions!
Afsana
I enjoyed reading this book and have ordered the next.

It is nice to know what happens to The 4400 after the series has ended
Daniel
Characters true to TV show, but if it wasn't for show ending on such a cliffhanger I wouldn't have bothered reading.
Kathy Kohl
I'm reading this with Joey. The writing is laughable, but it is an interesting continuation of the series.
Sasha
It was so terrible, almost beyond words.
Angela
Jun 02, 2012 Angela marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
1st series finale book. Read first.
Nat Gram
Nat Gram is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2014
  • Promises Broken (The 4400)
  • Infinity's Prism (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #1)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • The Candle in the Wind (The Once and Future King, #4)
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek Mirror Universe)
  • The Nanotech War (Star Trek Voyager #39)
  • Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Obsidian Alliances
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Serenity: The Other Half (Serenity, #2.5)
  • Time's Edge (Time's Edge, #1)
  • House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)
  • Serenity: Downtime (Serenity, #3.5)
  • Capitol (Worthing, #1)
  • Serenity Roleplaying Game
  • The Lives of Dax
  • The Cure
  • Turning Point (Sholan Alliance, #1)
  • The Keeper of the Isis Light (Isis, #1)
Underworld (Underworld, #1) Q-Space (Star Trek: The Next Generation #47; The Q Continuum, #1) The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #1) The Dark Knight Rises: The Official Novelization Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)