Start by marking “Star Trek Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two” as Want to Read:
Star Trek Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two

Star Trek Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny #2)

"The true test of a warrior is not without...it is within."
Sins of the past collide with hopes for the future as Martok fights for the right to lead the Klingon Empire. With the secret of his usurper exposed, the ousted chancellor and his ragtag band of followers embark on a desperate plan to retake the empire.
But while Worf, Ezri Dax, and the crew of the IKS Rotarran
Published April 23rd 2003 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek Deep Space Nine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek Deep Space Nine

Dan
Jan 03, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, ds9
When these novels first came out, I remember being a little wary. At this point in the Deep Space Nine relaunch, I was eager to get back to what was going on on the station, with the parasites from TNG's "Conspiracy" making a dramatic return and the crew of the Defiant returning to the Alpha Quadrant with Jake and Kai Opaka. I felt that taking a break from that and going back in time for a Klingon story would be a mistake. However, when I saw that it was J.G. Hertzler who co-wrote the novels, I ...more
Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 Crystal Bensley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The characters in this 2 book series are incredibly well done. As much as I want to see whats happening elsewhere, this Klingon story is amazing!
William Galaini
Aug 06, 2014 William Galaini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer #1: Star Trek… exists in its own continuum of quality. Some might say a particular work of Star Trek might be ‘poor’ by most standards yet ‘good’ by the standards of Star Trek. The opposite can be said as well, in that the new Star Trek reboot films are ‘good’ by most standards and yet poor by Star Trek standards.

Disclaimer #2: I have met one of these authors personally, and I delighted in their company. I have reviewed authors I know previously, and I do my best to be honest.

Deep Spa
Lester
Jan 09, 2017 Lester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
(Note: This review is for both books 1 & 2)

Going into these I was a little apprehensive because, as much as I love Klingons in Star Trek (especially their appearances post-TNG) they have a tendency to be pretty monotonous, with an overemphasis on 'honour' and glory, which ironically have never been qualities the Klingons have had in great abundance.

Image my surprise then that The Left Hand of Destiny was not only good, but really good. Sure, the vast majority of characters are Klingons - but
Kathy
The Left Hand of Destiny Book Two by JG Hertzler and Jeffrey Lang was a bit of let down in my eyes. It was a good book but was lacking a bit.

The Left Hand of Destiny Book One was amazing. I liked it a lot and had high hopes for book two. My hopes may have been too high.

Book Two was started from the viewpoint of Ezri Dax who came to answer the call of help from the House of Martok. The General started to gather the troops so he could attack Gothmara and the usurper. In a planning meeting, Kahless
Tina
Aug 31, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Derek Oberg
This series ended up pretty good. I remember an interview with Robert O'Riley (Gowron) saying that the girls who played the Duras Sisters were all excited that they got a part in the first TNG movie Generations. His response to them was "That sucks, I'm sorry." They didn't understand until he said "Kingons die well." And indeed they do.

You know that Martok himself and Worf are gonna be safe, but everyone else is up for the slaughter. And most all of them die. I REALLY didn't like the Lady Sirell
Elen
Sep 17, 2015 Elen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update: I still love Worf so dang much. (view spoiler) ...more
Trev
Sep 30, 2015 Trev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't overly keen on the first book so went into the second a bit hesitant. I'm glad I did though.
Like Book One there are still a few times that leave you wondering how something happened but in fewer occurrences. It seems that this is where the authors really settled into the stride.
The final set piece is worthy of any Klingon song as it seems to take up half the page count!! To the authors credit it is fast, flowing and a page turner until the end.
Angela
The continuing saga of the Klingon Empire concludes. Martok, Worf and Ezri have to somehow overthrow the new Klingon ruler with a lot smaller army than their foes. If you like big battles, then this is the book for you. There's some nice bits about what actually makes a Klingon and why? Some really nice character development too. The only reason this has 3 stars is that the first book was better. A good read.
Jaye
Aug 06, 2013 Jaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I said the first Book of this was a real downer, but the story intrigued me enough to make me stick through the end. It's light fare, compared to the Culture books I've been reading of late, but the story was good, and I've always enjoyed Klingon stories.
David Agranoff
I thought this second half of this book was stronger than the first. This very Klingon epic is a fitting tale of how Martok earns his role as the Klingon leader. The scene on the cover was perfectly staged. Bravo. Also the mystery of what happens to kahless leaves open more story... Hmmm.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fills in some holes in ST lore with a great story.
Roger
Dec 28, 2011 Roger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little long, but more exciting than many other Star Trek books.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 Mikael Kuoppala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A damn fine rollercoaster ride through Klingon culture. Truly captivating and wise.
Lee Berger
Nov 23, 2013 Lee Berger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the two book series. Great exploration of the Klingon culture as it is tested following the Dominion War.
Annette
Jan 13, 2014 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mike Vander
Jul 07, 2016 Mike Vander rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read if you are a fan of DS9

Great Read if you were a fan of DS9 and were wondering what happened to Worf after the last episode of DS9 that aired in 1999.
Greg
Sep 11, 2016 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book years ago on release. It was as good as book one.
Nichelle
May 20, 2012 Nichelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still a favorite, no matter how many times I read it.
Dave Hertel
Dave Hertel rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Cf Bowers
Cf Bowers rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2014
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2012
Michael Ringold
Michael Ringold rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Evan Valensky
Evan Valensky rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2013
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
R.
R. rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2012
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • A Stitch in Time
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • What Lay Beyond (Star Trek: Gateways, #7)
  • Inferno (Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Millenium, #3)
  • Day of the Vipers (Star Trek Terok Nor Book 1)
John Garman "J.G." Hertzler is an American actor, well known in the Star Trek community for his role on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) as the Klingon General (and later Chancellor) Martok. He is presently a Resident Professional Teaching Associate at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY.
More about J.G. Hertzler...

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny (2 books)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny: Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)