Start by marking “Ardent Spirits: Leaving Home, Coming Back” as Want to Read:
Ardent Spirits: Leaving Home, Coming Back

Ardent Spirits: Leaving Home, Coming Back

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In his third volume of memoir, Reynolds Price explores six crucial years of his life -- his departure from home in 1955 to spend three years as a student at Oxford University; then his return to North Carolina to begin his long career as a university teacher.

He gives often moving, and frequently comic, portraits of his great teachers in England -- such men as Lord David
Published May 12th 2009 by Scribner (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ardent Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ardent Spirits

Carl Rollyson
This third volume of Reynolds Price's memoirs is a graceful and elegiac view of his life in the 1950's as a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University and his return to his native South to teach writing and literature at Duke University. The precocious Price embarks on his first major journey, concerned about leaving his mother and younger brother but also driven to make his mark by ambitiously attempting to write both short fiction and a major study of Milton's poetry. Price portrays himself as an ear ...more
Sue
I was prompted to remember and revisit the work of Reynolds Price because he died a couple of weeks ago. I feel chagrined when that happens, experiencing some regret that I failed to pay attention when the author was alive.

But my connections with this author have been a little different. I have mixed reactions to his fiction, to say the least. His prose often feels mannered, but then there are flashes of recognition, and I keep going. Several years ago I read his memoir “A Whole New Life,” and I
Alice
I've loved Reynolds Price's writing and have read his other two memoirs. Although I think there's a lot of "name-dropping" in this (and it does get annoying at times), the writing is simply beautiful. If you like Price's novels (two favorites of mine are Roxanna Slade and Tongues of Angels), you'll want to read the now three memoirs. This book gives a bird's eye view of life at Oxford Univ. in England in the '50s. I loved the descriptions of students, their what we'd call dormitories, the profes ...more
Ann
I love Reynolds Price's inimitable, companionable but learned voice, and this was a pleasure to read just for that. His time at Oxford is an interesting picture of the place and how Americans were viewed there in the late 1950's, and the sense of his discovery of his vocation--writing--and his work--teaching--lend a quiet excitement to the book. He met and befriended some famous people, like W.H. Auden, and treats them fairly. One of his very first students at Duke was Anne Tyler and he was thri ...more
Philip
This memoir by Reynolds Price got off to a very slow start, but finally became more engrossing by the time I got about a hundred pages in.

11/25/10: It remained engrossing until the end of Part One on page 297, which conclude his narrative about his experiences in Britain and on the Continent during his three years at Oxford. Travelling around during the 'vacs' Price met with almost unfailing kindness from people in post-WWII England, Italy, and the Netherlands - residents of cities, towns and vi
Peg
Sep 28, 2009 Peg rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of southern literature
Reynolds Price is a local, teaching writing at Duke for 50 years. I've had the chance to hear him speak at local events. This is his third volume of memoirs, focusing on a period of six years - including three years at Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar. Fascinating to realize that some of his works I've enjoyed were created while he was a student in this challenging program. "A Long and Happy Life," a novel; and one of my favorite short stories "The Warrior Princess Ozimba."
Josie
A lot to like--queer North Carolinian in Oxford in the mid-'50s. Mostly about figuring out about work and career, also a little about figuring out about sexuality. I liked reading about his friendships and inner life, and I suppose I haven't read much memoir or maybe any because it was interesting to learn that a factual book in which nothing happens is different from a fictional book in which nothing happens. But nice in its own way.
Becky Safarik
I got about 100 pages in and never became engaged with his life; it was not interesting nor did he give me anything to care about.
Marsmannix
Reynolds Price love of life and language fill every page of AS. It made me yearn for a time and place when such scholarship was the norm and indeed expected. A loving tribute to a time and place vanished and irreplaceable.
Reynolds' picture on the cover....what a gorgeous young man.
Reynolds Price was born and raised in North Carolina. "Ardent Spirits" is about the 3 years he spent in England during the 1950s as a student scholar. It is a thorough read--be willing to experience England through the eyes of Reynolds Price.
Vicki Powers
One of my all time favorite authors and fellow North Carolinian, Reynolds Price had a unique voice and will be missed. I am so pleased he shared his experiences with us in such an honest and elegant way. Brilliant writer.
Joyce
Wow, to be a Rhodes scholar in the early 60s and meet all the people he did must have been pretty heady. Not a bad book, but I don't know Reynolds Price's work so it's kind of lacking in context for me.
Elisabeth
You should definitely read this book if you have ever had the desire to haul off to Europe for a few years in your twenties before returning to Sweet Carolina :)
Kathryn
I tried, I really tried... but this book didn't engage me, despite his beautiful writing. I quit after about 50 pages.
Rena Mayberry
Just beginning it. Reynolds Price is my all time favorite author. This is memoir.
Kevin
Kevin added it
Dec 03, 2014
Terri UK
Terri UK marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Tim
Tim added it
Oct 17, 2014
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Lindenizen
Lindenizen marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Bank Chantaruchirakorn
Bank Chantaruchirakorn marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Reynolds Price was born in Macon, North Carolina in 1933. Educated at Duke University and, as a Rhodes Scholar, at Merton College, Oxford University. He taught at Duke since 1958 and was James B. Duke Professor of English.

His first short stories, and many later ones, are published in his Collected Stories. A Long and Happy Life was published in 1962 and won the William Faulkner Award for a best fi
More about Reynolds Price...
Kate Vaiden Roxanna Slade A Long and Happy Life A Whole New Life: An Illness and a Healing The Promise of Rest